Finally getting around to watch NGE

Finally getting around to watch NGE.
Why is he so unlikable, Sup Forums?
No i'm NOT saying he didn't have a reason for being such a timid dweeb.
No i'm NOT saying he's a bad character.
But god, why so fucking UNLIKABLE? He's making watching this show such a drag.

I love Shinji

Because he reminds you of yourself and you hate yourself.

this
people who love themselves will feel nothing but empathy towards the characters

because he's an unlovable person

This. The only people who hate Shinji are people who see themselves reflected on him, so mostly teenagers.

Shinji is best girl and you have shit taste.

Learnt o read please

>No i'm NOT saying he didn't have a reason for being such a timid dweeb.

I understand why he's this way. It's not that subtle.
That Doesn't change the fact that he is freaking annoying and irritating to watch.
I can empathize with a person who born with Down, but fuck if I want to be near him all the time.

What's annoying about him?

I can sort of empathize with him but that doesn't mean I have to like him.

So you're supposed to understand Asuka then
You feel disgusted with his typical "shy teenage boy" femininity and shut-in lifestyle? Well the series actually criticizes him as much as you do

How can you hate this guy? Look at the confidence he exudes. This is a man who fights angels, and loves doing it.

I want to pound his boipussy and make him moan my name

He's you

Stop posting, Kaworu

Make me, pussy

Tell me your address, I'll come and kill you

Yes? You can also empathize with someone who is very unlike you, it's just harder. What I'm saying is that you project your self-hatred on Shinji because he his like you, it has little to do with empathy.
Or maybe you don't, but it's my favorite theory on why so many people hate Shinji, beside the obvious "He's a whiny pussy faggot, not a real man like me".

Tokyo-3, Central Dogma.
It's on, nigga.

I'm the alpha standing in front of the giant red robot.

He's unlikable because people always try to force someone to self insert or relate to him. I understand why he's whiny, mom literally died in front of his face, his dad doesn't care about him, and he was basically forced to pilot an Eva to defend mankind.

Ez pz prepare Uranus, my man
Just don't whine when I squish your white bitchass with my huge hand

And then you'll cry like a little bitch about it for the next two episodes.

nice proverb

I don't really relate to him anyways. I can both see and can't see why people hate him so much.

Does this mean I'm a bitchy german redhead on the inside

well I mean first off, likeable is a pretty subjective thing to say about a character, which is why people don't talk about it and instead talk about three-dimensionality and depth and etc. Plenty of people like Shinji.

I don't understand how someone can not like Shinji.
I just want to protect him.

He and MC similar to him is the reason of egg and oniisama being popular now.

I just felt bad for him. He's just an autistic kid who got dragged into a bunch of selfish peoples scheme to fuck over all of humanity.

Episode 3 and 4 are terrible, I'm just putting that out there. They're the Shinji pity party episodes. When Shinji isn't around, everyone just talks about Shinji and how hard life is for him. There's no subtlety to it, it's just a sad circlejerk.

The end of episode 4 is the turning point where Shinji starts improving and you start to become invested in his character growth. Episode 5 has the first real example of "show, don't tell" near the beginning when Shinji is consciously trying to be more open and characters aren't just going "Shinji is suffering so much, poor Shinji, has he made any friends? This must be hard for him."

You'll find that as Shinji grows as a character, you'll root for him and maybe even start to self-insert as him by idealizing his improvement as your own. And then when everything starts to go downhill and his progress is slowly undone by tons of mental anguish, you'll feel for him.

You'll love Shinji's more positive moments, like when he's sassy or disapproving of others, or shows his true opinions. You'll understand he has character flaws but at the same time you'll love him because you can love yourself.

I like him

Holy shit you people cannot do character analysis

Life's not fair, get in the fucking robot.

Just a reminder that Shinji is canonically heterosexual. He only ever had sexual fantasies about women.

Someone could argue that his negatives outweigh his positives as they show up way more often.

He was unlikable for the same reason anakin was unlikable. His emo whining was unbearable.

Fuck off Kaworufag

Fuck off delusional fujo

>life is not fair
>but you have to make it work for me
These kinds of people are the worst. If life ain't fair, you don't get what you want either.

>why is he so unlikable?

If being likable was a prerequisite for watching a show, half of anime up until now would never have happened.

Just try to remain open minded.

Fujos lost it

Good on you for admitting you lost it.
Now back to your Yuri on Ice containment thread.

That's what makes his positives stand out to me. It's like having a villain with no redeeming traits vs a villain with several redeeming traits. The latter is just more interesting as a character because you love seeing that they have more going on inside. While Shinji may be quiet and fairly introverted for most of the series, the frequency at which he shows his more outgoing traits is paced just perfectly, enough for you to feel invested in his character growth. You don't want Shinji sitting alone in his room listening to his music, you want him standing up for himself and being happy and laughing. And from episode 5-15, you do get a sense that he's becoming more outgoing.

Rebuild 1.0
Episode 1-2: Introduction and establishment
Episode 3-4: Sad Shinji circlejerk
Episode 5-6: Rehabilitation begins and a bond with Rei is formed

Episode 7: That one episode that kinda stands out

Rebuild 2.0
Episode 8-11: Asuka introduction and the brighter episodes
Episode 12-15: Darker shift in tone, but still character growth
Episode 16-19: Systematically destroying character growth through trauma

Rebuild 3.0
Episode 20-24: Breaking the characters down to their lowest points

Episode 25-26: Character study

EoE fits well with this. Asuka pretty much toook center stage while Shinji countinued to be shit, a final act of self-loathing by Anno perhaps

just bitchy, everything else depends on the family you where born in

I'd say if anyone took center stage it was Misato

if you're not a self-inserting faggot you probably won't like him

I wonder how much different the reception of Shinji would've been if they had 1 or 2 episodes of him not being whiny to build him up before having him whine. Some people would still inevitably be annoyed but it's possible some of the people who really dislike him now might've liked him more if they got invested in him before he started acting in a way they disliked

If they had made Shinji a girl no one would even have any beef with him.

Would ruin the point for me. Who cares how people "receive" him as a character? If he is more likeable that would have no impact on the story and if anything might detract from it. Sure they could have done that, but what would be the point?

Fuck off falseflagging Kaworufag

I imagine way more people like the brighter moments of his character than his darker more "emo" side as people put it. So I imagine 16 onward (based on the way you broke it down) turned people off from him.

Stop replying to yourself fujo. You're shitting up the thread.

But there was a female Shinji 5 years before Eva was even made.

Nadia is nothing like Shinji besides appearance, stop with this meme.
You're better off comparing him to Noriko.

I can't help but pity them, you know? They're all fucking mentally ill.

I never understood the hate for Asuka, she's like Shinji but with different problems.

How old are you? The more mature you are the harder it is to like and sympathize with Shinji. When i was a teenager i used to see myself on Shinji but the older i get the angrier i get at him, and the people around him whenever i watch NGE.
Half of the emotional dillemas he faced, he created himself.

Pic related got his shit together and grew up in order to win the war and survive. Shinji needed a Bright in his life.

Asuka is a fucking cunt, she's nothing like Shinji

I like Shinji the way he is. Besides, i don't want Toji to stick his filthy dick in my Shinji.

this is fucking stupid

She had a fucked up childhood and lost her mom, like Shinji.

They act differently but they're problems do come from something similar. It's probably part of the reason she hates him.

Toji would have stuck his dick in boy Shinji, too. You saw the way he was looking at him in that plugsuit.

I think people compare them because of stuff like pic related
Asuka is a foil for Shinji.

Fuck off Fujo

So? Misato and Shinji both went through similar things to her as well and they never acted like cunts to her.

Everyone is a foil to Shinji.

Personality-wise Nadia resembles Asuka if anything. In that scene too.

Shinji is most like Noriko.

Toji strikes me as the kind of guy that cums on his underwear and never changes it.

I think they just express it in different ways.
Shinji, hating himself, pushing others away, and in general being weak.
Asuka on the other hand acts like a cunt and needs to be superior in her mind. Kind of explains why she can't stand the idea of someone one upping her.

I do that.

why is anime cring?

So how could you claim they're similar when they act like complete polar opposites?
The only thing similar is the source of their problems, which newsflash, is the same for every single character.
Misato, Gendo, Rei, etc.

Grab your dick and then smell your hand. What does it smell like?

I had a friend who's hand smelled like rotten meat everytime he grabbed his cock. You could smell that dirty cock from miles.

Please change your undies and clean your penis.

Noriko is similar to Shinji very early on where neither has the self-confidence to fight when they become aware of the potential consequences. But the end of episode 4 of Gunbuster has Noriko overcome this and she basically becomes a super robot protagonist ala episode 11+ Simon from TTGL. Evangelion doesn't have a lot of super robot moments (unless you count that double Inazuma Kick in the dance episode) where hotbloodedness propels the protagonists forward. Even during the Zeruel fight, Unit-01 just goes dead once its power runs out despite the fact that Shinji was handling the fight very well on his own and could have probably won. But Noriko's problems arise from her self-confidence while Shinji's are more deep-rooted in lifelong mental trauma. Shinji is more likely to have clinical depression than Noriko.

While it does hurt watching Shinji regress due to factors outside of his control, there is some fun in watching everything go "TUMBLING DOWN". Episode 25-26 are entirely character studies where Shinji is broken into pieces and basically rebuilt (in-universe explanation is that this is Instrumentality, while End of Evangelion is showing the exact plot things that are happening). In some ways, I can understand that "fixing" Shinji in the span of roughly 40 minutes when you have no idea what's going on with the plot can be grating, but it definitely is the kind of scenario where you have to understand the intricacies of the plot and exactly what Instrumentality is to get why it's happening in 40 minutes. In that way, while I think the execution left many questions, I do think it left you with all the pieces to a coherent puzzle that ties plot and character development together.

Look at the way Kensuke is smiling. What a faggot.
And I remember Toji was whistling in that scene.

Shinji is a slut.

It smells like bacon with salt and sugar on it.

I weigh about 115lbs though.

Well they're still far more similar to each other than with Nadia. Yet people rarely make the link.

Shinji could have turned out the same way as Noriko if he had similar people around him to boost his confidence like she did.
Nature vs. Nurture, and all that.

That's kinda hot actually.

Shinji internalizes his problems like most anti-social nerds do.
Asuka externalizes her problems like any social teenage girl would.

Their problems at the core are very similar though, and is definitely stemming from self-hate and a desire to be loved.

Unfortunately I have hemorrhoids so I can't get fucked in the ass. Life is suffering. At least I am lucky enough to like girls as well though.

I never got the Shinji hate, when I watched it I seriously didn't get why he got so much hate.
Hell I thought he was pretty admirable at some occasions like getting in his fathers death machine and risk his life fighting some extra dimensional creature, because otherwise some very injured girl he didn't even had to do it.
Despite hating all this bullshit he still did his job most of the time, the only time he really quit was after the time his father basically forced him to kill one of his friends and even then he came back when he saw that shit was going sideways.
Yes he did some weird stuff, but that was only really around the end after he got deeply traumatized by all the really shit he went through.
Before that he was just some very introverted kid with some issues, because he basically got abadoned by his father.
I honestly don't get why he gets so much hate.

>I honestly don't get why he gets so much hate
Insecure underage fags who are too used to self-inserting into Garystu Battleshounen protags

Play SRW, you'll love him after that.

Hemorrhoids can be healed. Lucky sluts.

When I watched it for the first time I thought he was one of the best protagonists I'd seen. I never really felt any anger towards him because I didn't see what he had done that wasn't believable or understandable.

It sounds like you know why hes unlikable
Whats the point of this thread?

When I first watched it, the only thing I knew about the series was the "get in the robot shinji" meme. I was expecting him to complain about not wanting to fight for 5 episodes before getting into the Eva but I was shocked when he got in it the very first episode. This is what people were complaining about?

>self-hating turds at it again

Go sulk on /r9k/

Shinji's pretty annoying but thats the whole point

Personally I never understood the whole "self-hate" reasoning as to why people hate him. It just sounds so full of shit.

This is exactly what someone would say if they really did have issues with self-worth but didn't want to accept it or blocked them out. Not saying this is the case with everyone, but certainly some people might do some mental gymnastics to distance themselves from relating to a character they see as an annoying pussy.

Its also different if you watch NGE at say 26-30 vs 14-18. When youre 17 you might really empathize with Shinji and how unfairly rigged the world is against him. All is moping is understandable because you might be going through your own teen angst. But when youre an adult and youve already passed this phase and become a mindless robot drone in society, it's easy to get irritated at his immaturity. You just want him to wise up to reality because you already know the harsh truth that moping around is not only pointless, but pathetic.

I just randomly thought of this but it is similiar to how its difficult to empathize with people who have depression or severe anxiety. Unless youre going through the same thing, it can come off as whiney and self important. The world is so beautiful etc etc, how could anyone be depressed? And they aren't wrong, its frustrating to see someone wallow in self pity when you know how destructive that can be. But I think the thing people forget is that Shinji was just 14 and he should have had another 8 years to be a kid without worrying about the world but he was thrust into it early. Naturally, it really fucks with his head.

Shinji is one of the best protagonists in fiction

Just make sure you're super baked when you watch NGE

>reading comprehension
I was talking about OP, not myself. And I suppose the other 3 posters were doing the same. I like myself and I never hated Shinji.

Were you the same guy that posted the other day? Anyways, Shinji is supposed to be a real boy and would react the way that real boys do to abandonment, death, and constant life threatening situations. He isn't Naruto.

Because you're a fucking faggot and Shinji is best girl.

I'm 27 and still relate to Shinji when I watch NGE. I wonder if that's good or bad.

That's bad.

>You just want him to wise up to reality because you already know the harsh truth that moping around is not only pointless, but pathetic
I don't see how people refuse to see things in another perspective. We were all teens at one point. The message may not resonate with them as much if at all, but at the same time they need to understand that it's a shonen.