What do you think of historical anime?

What do you think of historical anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eJIeJIqw-J0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like it. Some of my favorite settings is when they go full ancient Greece or Roman.

i like their openings
youtube.com/watch?v=eJIeJIqw-J0
! maybe i should start with it

Lots of research and also imagination in a lot of them. I love when real facts and fiction are well mixed.

Such a shame that France itself couldn't create that masterpiece. France can't animate for shit.

This one was pure genius.

I wish we had more anime set during the french revolution, to be honest.

I enjoy them

What are some good historical animes?

Oh nice a historical anime thread. Oscar best girl. Dumping my images to keep this bumped.

Sharpe anime when?

cute anime girls doing horrible warcrimes anime when

never ever

Historical manga is better.

>Gunka no Balthazar anime never ever

I really like it except for the kind of "generic medieval" or "generic ye olde china" setting (Fushigi Yuugi excepted). The past in general was a more interesting time than the current era where we live in such comfort. Especially when it draws from real history, like Oooku, then it doubles as a learning experience.

Vagabond, Emma, Otoyomegatari, Oooku and Jin are my favorites. Of these, only Emma has an anime. Jin has a very good drama though, recommended.

>Ooku
Reading on mangaupdates that sounds basically the same as some shoujo manga which I have forgotten, but gernderbent.
Wish I could remember the title.

Having the same idea of a focus on the inner chambers or harem scenario, or the same idea as in a plague which kills off most of one gender?

I know some shoujo which focus on historical harem scenario but I don't think I've ever seen one where the female gender has been plagued.

>Such a shame
Is it really such a shame though?

>France can't animate for shit.

Go ask Sup Forums you faggot

>Go ask Sup Forums
I'd rather die than go to Sup Forumsmblr

Oscar is my wife!

What are the differences between the anime and the manga? I hear Oscar is a side character in the manga and Marie is the real main character.

Yeah, Oscar was a side character but became so popular that she became the main character.

bump

Rose of versailles is a masterpiece. Everybody should watch it.

I wonder if it was really true that she was able to stop that angry mob with a bow.

I love this too. The necklace scandal arc in particular was absolutely incredible.

I liked that with Yas' manga about Nero and Joan of Arc, they're historical but have his touch with the character designs and their interactions.

Antoinette did nothing wrong!

Not historical, though.

>Les Miserables
>7 Volumes (Ongoing)
>v.2 c.4 (515d ago)
;_;

I started watching The Mysterious Cities of Gold, which apparently is an anime, I thought it was French with Japanese outsourcing, oh well. It could be interesting I guess, pretty good for the first two episodes at least.
Sucks that it aired in the 80s because I've had avoiding 80s TV anime as a thing, I thought it was French so I was safe.

Also started Rose of Versailles, seen 10 episodes of it and it's pretty good, but a little bit too scary so haven't seen anything in a long time, but been thinking about finishing it lately.

Would fucking watch. Master and Commander anime when?

Watch the WMT

>10 episodes
>but a little bit too scary
Brace yourself when Dezaki takes over then.

How can anyone unironically support Monarchism when it's a system that allowed a girl as unqualified as her to sit on the throne?

The impending war with Austria notwithstanding, Oscar was far more worthy of being queen than Marie ever was.

>a girl as unqualified as her to sit on the throne
What do you mean user? Without Marie Antoinette we wouldn't be living in the United States as Americans.

France's involvement in the Revolutionary War tanked their already failing economy, so it didn't benefit her people at all.

>her people
Fuck those frogs! I am truly blessed to be living in a country that a monarchy helped establish.

How many people remember the historical gender-bender anime Chevalier?

>implying being a burger is something to be proud of
I've been wondering if this series is worth watching since I loved RoV. Is it any good?

If you don't mind a bit of working occultism in your historical stuff, then it's a decent enough Musketeer-style romp through the Secret Illuminated History of 18th Century Europe (though mainly France).

How much does the WMT version of Les Miserables omit from the book?

It's actually quite faithful to the novel.

>female officer
>historical

She was raised a man!

Really? Seems like it is more from Cosette's POV rather than Jean's, not that I mind that change entirely.

Got a webm of Javert's suicide?

Never heard of Joan d'Arc?

There needs to be more of it outside of the samurai/feudal shit.

She's a manly man (female)

Honestly I'd settle for more samurai/feudal shit without some inane superpowers bullshit.

SO which guard uniform did Oscar look best in? I'm going to say the royal guards, to be honest.

Hornblower anime when?

Any answer that isn't the iconic blue French Guard uniform is objectively wrong.

That is a bit fem.

It's actually her white uniform that's the best, OK.

Anyone remembers the historical character Jeanne d'Arc and her husband Nobunanaga?

He's on fire!

RICED

The cavalry really get shafted in Gunka no Baltzar. I can admit that the role of cavalry in the late 19th century was limited, but how the hell would a cavalry force be able to exist in a post-napoleonic world without carbines or even pistols?

>He

Let the thirsty cunts have their fantasy okay?

Which version of Rose of Versailles do you guys prefer the most? The anime or the manga?

I'm a little torn, because they both do things that I like and don't like. For one, Alain is a great character in the anime, but in the manga, he spends most of it being a pile of shit.

The dresses are prettier in the manga though.

If I was a woman, I'd still be attracted to Oscar.

Was that whole Ferson/Marie stuff actually legit? Did it happen IRL?

Allegedly, their relationship was that intense. But they were friends, and people were upset that she showed favortism towards him in the court.

He did try to help her escape France though. And after all of that failed, he went back to Sweden all bitter and shit, and eventually ended up getting lynched in Stockholm.

It might or might not have.

That's the horribly simplified story. The inability of the French economy resulted in the storming of the Bastille, which didn't harm the monarchy at all because it was just that damn popular (in part due to their intervention in that same Revolutionary War, compenent monarchs would've been able to spin this in their favor). The problem was that from that point onward, the monarchy not only actively sabotaged the kingdom (they veto'd both the proposals to create a national guard in response to the Duke of Brunswick's threat of invasion and various reforms to the financial system that would actually help France recover from the aforementioned near-bankrupcy) but they actively cooperated with the Austrians in preparation of an invasion of France. That's what ended them under the guillotine, not a bunch of starving peasants.

Had Louis XVI not been a total retard, the storming of the Bastille would've merely secured his position and eliminated the nobles that limited his power. It could've been two birds with one stone, but he instead dropped that stone on his own head.

>Fuck those frogs!
And they wonder why Americans are hated.

But Youjo Senki is already out, user.

frenchman detected

The anime is definitely better.

Oscar's story is 10x more interesting than Antoinette's, so it's good that she gets more focus there. Also, I didn't like how Rosalie got shafted in the manga. Rosalie's arc is one of the highlights of the series IMO, so I'm glad it got more focus in the anime.

On a side note, I love the bonus chapter that Ikeda wrote for the manga where they just go for full on Gothic horror. It manages to be funny and a brutal bloodbath at the same time.

I forget the her name, but that crazy lady who was killing girls WAS a real person.

>Master and Commander anime when?

Oscar, Andre and Andre's grandmother were the only characters who were fictional in the whole series.

Even Oscar's father was a real person.

I want cute girls fighting cute line infantry battles

You are given the chance to have any studio of your choice produce a six episode OVA based on a conflict of your choosing. What do you pick?

The Somme.

A boring pick, I know, but it'd make for a good drama if done correctly.

I love oscar.

Spanish conquest of the Aztec empire by bones

Suc DIC faget

Napoleon anime when

When some decides to adapt the RoV sequel, hopefully.

Great OP, last few episodes went off the rails in a bad way.

An adaptation of Sharpe or Waterloo.

All I know is I love Oscar!

If you're gonna involve the Spaniards, adapt something fun like the Reconquista or the Peninsular War or the Spanish Civil War.

The Emu War, and do it like the Anno's Godzilla.

Either the Battle of Fredricksburg or the Crater