Why did we stop making extraordinary churches/cathedrals?

Why did we stop making extraordinary churches/cathedrals?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_People's_Salvation_Cathedral
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_temples_of_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints#Under_construction
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhmad_Kadyrov_Mosque
evelynbrooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The_True_Believer_-_Eric_Hoffer.pdf
archive.org/details/BattleForTheMind-Sargant
youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0nwJaITWE
youtube.com/watch?v=1p-nTYKPo_I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When we stopped believing in God and therefore had nothing to inspire us. Churches were a reflection of us attempting to capture the Divine. We've now started buildinga proliferation of McDonald's instead.

(reply with the link once you posted the thread there)

No one cares about religion enough anymore.

Do it in the wrong areas and people will protest, riot, or even burn it down.

Hdvb

So sad.
So true.

a push away from "useless" ornaments and into postmodernist "functionality"
for you fit faggots, its like a fat dyke telling you to work on functional strength

Today these will get immediately get called out for discrimination, face riots, get bulldozed, and replaced with a mosque

no clue

Putin is rebuilding churches that the communists had converted to state buildings.

Religion is politics too

That's the problem. The actual existence of a supreme being is irrelevant in the context of this discussion. Religion serves a political purpose (several in fact). One is to inspire humanity to dream of greater things. The West is leaving it's Christian heritage as part of its cultural shift, but it's new religion (science; yes I'm serious) doesn't convey the same effects as traditional religion. That's why we don't build churches.

now we are inspired by our love of fast food and the architecture reflects this inspiration

Kek

Russia's rebuilding Orthodox Churches and Mormons build their temples all over the place and their temples can be rather elegant.

"Their gods are their bellies."

god is dead

They look a little like Disney land much like their religion

>we
you didn't make shit, paco

Europe overthrew its monarchies.

Who do you think was funding the great works of art and architecture? Wealth and political power needs to be concentrated in the hands of a king to do this kind of thing.

The expansion of christianism was halted by the conquest of the holy land.

It depends. Some definitely look better than others. They claim they're built to reflect local culture but who knows.

Exactly. And we killed him and what now?

That's your answer:
>Build a McDonald's
You feast on his parts and die in gluttony and realize nothing matters anymore.

do we even remember how to build a flying buttress?

I've always wondered what the inside of that one looked like

never had the chance to go in

When the illuminati obtained monopoly on quarries

Aetheist here - really do this this is exactly the case.

And this is not only about religion.
The ugliness not only afects the religious buildings.
The official buildings are horrible grey concrete cubes. The streets were beautiful and confy.
And the people walks looking down like fucking zombies.

because theres nothing worth making such a monument to any more.

Cathedrals are wonders of human achievement and are incredible works of art. That being said, so manyresources and so much work was put into them because, at the time, massive cathedrals were an important part of the control system. Opulent churches are no longer important or effective tools for maintaining control so there's no reason for the kinds of groups who have the money to build them to put in the money or effort. Also, we don't know how to build them anymore. We've devolved in a lot of ways when it comes to crafts like stonework.

redheads

I think it's beautiful, but I've never been to Disneyland.
This is Mt. Tempanagos temple in Utah. I don't like Mormanism, but I do like that they like to use their cult money to be aesthetic instead of building butt ugly mega churches.
They don't tend to do tacky shit and it makes them less annoying.

Architecture, music, literature, art, these are all reflections of humanity's spirit. We are post-post-modernism now. There's no greater thing than that which we see and nothing has absolute meaning and truth is relative. I guess it'll lead to a revival in skepticism like it did in Rome.

We still do

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_People's_Salvation_Cathedral

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_temples_of_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints#Under_construction

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhmad_Kadyrov_Mosque
>When we stopped believing in God and therefore had nothing to inspire us.
Or it could be that more people realised you don't reach and serve God through bricks and gold.

The main reason I would argue is that most churches got dependent on cultural inertia and state support so much that when it could no longer count on it they were incapable of keeping and attracting new members that would justify these kind of projects.

just demolish them
stone building is of an old thing

Costs too much without slaves, people want wages for these things nowadays.

You may be right about the state support idea, and I wonder how much the Protestant movement had to do with this since it wasn't (AFAIK) sponsored (at least here) to declare the wealth of the State.

I don't know that most people would ever decide they didn't need a building to search it worship God.

There has to be a turning point. I am 25 and feel completely directionless and unfulfilled in this materialistic world. I desperately seek a sign of the divine on /x/ and other sorts of places every night. It feels like my generation is going to start a renaissance that meshes technology with religion because there's no way I am going to make it another 50-75 years without any divine inspiration in my life. This world is HORRENDOUSLY depressing.

When Europe lost its’ religion & America started building fast & cheap buildings. I don’t really care if Jesus is there if two or more Christians worship together; having your church in a strip mall is lame.

>You may be right about the state support idea, and I wonder how much the Protestant movement had to do with this since it wasn't (AFAIK) sponsored (at least here) to declare the wealth of the State.

I believe it is one of the reasons why America is still more religious than than Europe whose Protestant Churches were heavily state based (Church of England being a good example).

With the US I see the problem being more cultural inertia, a Church a big and successful and therefore no longer has to work hard or at all on evangelism (in its own borders where it cant manipulate via material means) and grows stagnant.

The Methodists are a good example of that in Australia and the UK where they were originally very radical and intense on evangelising and swelled in numbers only to collapse and level out later on.

>I don't know that most people would ever decide they didn't need a building to search it worship God.
But we aren't talking about any old buildings here we are talking about massive and costly construction projects to glorify a God whose kingdom is not of this world.

I know that this is the easy justification, but, think about this:
How the fuck can you control someone who enters a Cathedral, and from the first stone to the last piece of glass, through the gregorian chant you are hearing talks about the irrelevancy of the mundane existance?
Yeah, you can make me a slave an I will never be one. You call this control? I call it Hope.
It's the modernism like said what ties the human to the cocroach existance. The slave existance. You and me are mere economical individuals, who are born, crawl to produce and die like bugs. And nobody cares, even yourself.
Welcome to the Hive.

Come on, the manual labour of a week can be made now in a couple hours by an operator and a big machine...

There's plenty of Protestant churches in my area that were built to be beautiful. The ugly churches didn't come along until much later.

Be careful you are in an extreemly vulnerable state that predators and the genuine pine for in potential members.

Some works that might interest you

evelynbrooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The_True_Believer_-_Eric_Hoffer.pdf

Explains the general mindset and how it makes one extremely open to mass and controlling movements.

archive.org/details/BattleForTheMind-Sargant

Explains how what we mistake for divine intervention can be manipulated through physical means and is something that many religions from voodo to Catholicism/Orthodoxy use

churches were meant for socializing and being in touch with your true self being
>little do they know those same will end up
stabbing in the back
you think?

you know what? i'd take a cult that I believe in over a lifetime of nihilism. I hate what has become of Christianity, the religion I was raised and confirmed into, and seek higher truth wherever it may be offered.

Bastard. Why did he do it?

Hey... i see that fucking wizard tower every day

Well now you can understand why people stay in Scientology even as it strips them of assets for powers they dont get. Now you understand why those communists at universities and cities sell their newspapers every week for decades despite their movement eating up their lives for no gain or progress.

I did not say that you should give on truth on be careful about who you get it from. Their are far greater horrors than nihilism out there and a lot of the blame laid on nilhlism has more to do with depression and sociopathy than the ideology itself.

A quote you might like from a book I recently read

>“So engrained in the human heart is the desire to believe that some people really do know what they say they know, and can thus save them from the trouble of thinking for themselves, that in a short time would-be philosophers and faddists became more powerful than ever, and gradually led their countrymen to accept all those absurd views of life, some account of which I have given in my earlier chapters. Indeed I can see no hope for the Erewhonians till they have got to understand that reason uncorrected by instinct is as bad as instinct uncorrected by reason.”

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_temples_of_The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints#Under_construction

The entire LDS church lacks any aesthetic beauty and its sense of divinity is white cookie cutter white facade

You are a fucking nigger. why should I trust you?
you laugh and cheer for the destruction of the world.

Because they take hundreds of years and millions of dollars?

They have their own irs

Because of Sam Harris/ Richard Dawkins?

Because we stopped being devout Christians.
This is the price we pay for secularism.

No one wants to fund one, and on top of that they're pretty much only exceptional art and an empty room.

Sagrada Senpaiília in Barcelona is still under construction..

Because Bishops quit being heads of state

So basically it all bubbles down to "I only know that I know nothing" - Socrates. Great, so where do we go from here?

I'm so weary of nothing happening. No insights into why we suffer every day. Why I wake up so early 5x a day to work my ass off for electronic currency that apparently satisfies my needs of living. It's all so fucking ridiculous when you think about it, yet we cannot change the system because there are enough people who DID figure out an answer to this existential angst and found a way to rise above it all and rule over us all. What do they know that we don't?

Then you go on Sup Forums and learn how into the occult these people are. What do they know that we don't?

Dude good question.

We have enough? But I'm sure we could put up a few new ones in Asia

the zog bought you off with welfare and buttplugs

Some people kept making them.

Christian leadership has become corrupt and decadent. I would argue that the average Christian is far more devout than they were in the past.

The Christians of the renaissance were adhering to social norms and knew very little scripture unless it was their vocation. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at the Vatican, they won't stop playing the harlot for Africa and demanding that their flocks let wolves into their pen.

Jesus Christ would not approve of such irresponsible leadership.

He can't keep getting away with it.

>buttplugs

all that money now goes towards subsidizing houses for lakeesha and her 10 kids, her food stamps, and dem programs.

Holy shit, this meme again. No, dude, it wouldn't.
youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0nwJaITWE
You can make this with absoulutelly any material, including really hard stones.
youtube.com/watch?v=1p-nTYKPo_I
You can cut and clean perfectly regular granite blocks in minutes.

That MOTHERFUCKER!!!

>It's all so fucking ridiculous when you think about it, yet we cannot change the system because there are enough people who DID figure out an answer to this existential angst and found a way to rise above it all and rule over us all. What do they know that we don't?

While you are right that they dabbled into the occult, that to me seems more like a result of their character rather than a means for them to "transcend" society.

People who are dissatisfied with the status quo will opt for that which is esoteric due to it being antagonistic to that which is exoteric. Most are motivated by their vision of beauty and trying to see it's realization on Earth for all to see. This is what the muse does when he creates a masterpiece and this too is what a leader does when he guides his people to conquer. Each conquered nation means more opportunity for your people to express their ideals and create their vision of beauty upon the Earth.

This is true across all cultures and peoples.

Stand for something. It doesn't matter what... after all nothing matters.
Fight for the 14 words user. Do it. Do it for me, for you, for our future.

Wrong user?

As opposed to the Catholics? Pic related was built in 2002

>So basically it all bubbles down to....
Not really my point was more "understand that there are some limitations to figuring out the truth and that X are common circumstances where people manipulate these limitations"

>I'm so weary of nothing happening.
Plenty of stuff is happening and is capable of happening, just because you are being hit with some ennui doesnt mean there has to be a transcendent divine.

>existential angst and found a way to rise above it all and rule over us all. What do they know that we don't?
Well a lot of that is structural (for instance I would argue that heirs of the Rockerfellers and Rothschields dont rely on mental well-being for their power. The other and more chilling reason is that most people simply don't suffer from existential angst, in the same way most of us do not suffer from pedophilic desires

They still build some classic churches in remote places (not remote for me this it's 10 minutes from my home)

I know but the issue in this thread is Cathedral Construction.

Pic realted is from the 60s though

You are the inspiration. It isn't outside of you.
Look at how everything about you moves/beathes/vibrates.

Then get out and DO something.

You think those that "rule over" us don't suffer from existential angst?

If you're tired of busting your ass for currency - give it all away and live off the grid for a bit.

Crapitalism

Sadly, even this temple looks like a futuristic ride at an amusement park to me.

Religious diversity, and lack of religion. Not everybody will invest in building a nice church if it doesn't appeal to them.
>Atheist: I don't want my taxes to building a damn church!
>Muslim: Inshallah! We need a new mosque don't be racist!

Basically, less people are wanting to fund building a nice church. And even if a big church were to be built, it would look all modern and ugly anyway. At this point, it's preferable just to worship in a small brick or wooden building.

so I keep imagining things
thank you for the shit advice

>we
Show me one church in mexico that isn't a slanting shitpile.

I think you mean why did EUROPEANS stop making extraordinary churches/cathedrals?