Kimi No Na Wa

How would this have played out if it were stretched over 12 episodes? I would've wanted to see more of how they both grew accustomed to their situation and to each other

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a2GujJZfXpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the music montage in the middle would have been extended over 6 episodes or so

The montage was such a tease.

I'd love to see more, but I wonder how long before it'd be too much.

I'm no LN fag for this, but from what I understand there could be enough source material for a short 6-10 episode anime. But honestly, that would be stretching it for me, because that would just leave more room for error.

I was thinking the same. I feel like sticking with the story for a couple of weeks would make the ending that much more worth it, but I can't help but feel like the whole switching bodies scenario's been worn out to the point that it would've been dismissed as just another cliche seasonal anime

That montage was enough to show you how their relationship grew.
If you were to stretch it, then they would have to focus on the other characters and probably add more backstory to Mitsuha's family.

this.

The movie really did a good job of leaving you wanting more, but giving you exactly as much as you needed for the story to progress and setup their connection for later in the movie.

Why do they keep drawing Mitsuha in bondage?

I don't think it would have gone as well.

It worked very well as a short, self-contained story that was designed to grab you, make you like the characters, and then hit you with the ending.

Stretching it out over months would not have had the same impact. 23 minutes a week doesn't make you quite as attached to the characters, since you have a week in which to watch other shows, do other things, and then pop back in for another small chunk.

The weekly format works well for concepts that need more time to develop a more complicated story or shows that want to rely on cliffhangers, but this story didn't need to be much longer and it didn't need cliffhangers.

One of the hardest things to do in a story is cut unnecessary content, and I think they did particularly well with this film. It was relatively short, but very impactful. It punched well above its weight, and that's one of the things that makes it remarkable. A longer format runs the risk of straying off topic or including less relevant content, distracting audiences.

They had enough extra material for an entire book.
>focuses on Mitsuha (Taki) side of events
>will be officially translated by October this year

Yeah, I have this very dueling feeling where I would've loved to see more of the two of them learning to deal with the switching and falling in love with each other, but that would either delay the reveal of the big twist or have to be awkwardly shoehorned in after the twist.

The Nip name can be read as a rope pun apparently

Watching it again Wednesday. Brought a friend. Gotta do my part to throw money at Shinkai for the next film to come in under 4 years.

>君の名は
>kimi no na ha
>usually read as "kimi no na wa"
>nawa --> 縄 --> rope

Add in the fact that the movie refers to making cords and you get bondage fanart/doujins popping up all over the place.

01. Dream lantern
02. Zenzenzense
03. Sparkle
04. Nandemonaiya

Marry, Fuck, Ignore, Kill

Marry BOKURA TIME FLYA
Fuck ZENZENZEN
Ignore Dream Lantern
Kill Kimi ni Todoke

I actually enjoy all of them.

The greatest crime IMO is that there's no longer, full-length version of Dream Lantern.

Marry Sparkle, ignore the rest. I relate to that song on many levels.
youtube.com/watch?v=a2GujJZfXpg

MADA KONO SEKAI WA

>君の名は
>kimi no na ha/wa

this is the worst part of the movie. I hate having to write "wa" instead of "ha" for my relatively more normalfag friends

The first time I watched it and the not-OP started, I thought it meant that Shinkai was planning to use the movie to kick-start a series.

has anybody seen it subbed in theaters?

I'm really, really hoping that the song lyrics are subbed in the official movie like they are in some online versions.

They're subtitled.

Every song except one was subtitled iirc.

YESSSSSSSSSSS
thanks senpaitachi
i hope it wasn't sparkle ;_;

>focuses on Mitsuha (Taki) side of events
Are you talking about when Taki was running around town trying to save everyone? I find it hard to see how you could span that out a whole novel. Unless it is just the part where Taki is in Mitsuhas body in general.

Recall how Taki's first bodyswap into Mitsuha was never really shown in the movie. It was just kinda explained by Sayaka and Tessi to the real Mitsuha.

Apparently Taki recognized Mitsuha's struggles as he body swapped and slowly began to understand and love her. Earthbound documents that part of the story. Also, Earthbound talks about how Yotsuha does some funky ass shit with Shinto Gods.

Well the other bigger thread got pruned for some reason, so time for full-time posting here.

To the user who was asking to be shilled on the movie, in case they show up: it will make you feel happy.

So this movie made me wanna learn moon speak so I can understand shit better because I feel both the sub and dub miss out on some shit or fail to get across the proper intent.

Anyone else had to pay an extra $5 for the singles section? I was quite embarrassed when the movie employee chuckled when I asked for one. When I was watching the movie I realized everyone there were couples except for me. I had to sit through the entire movie feeling stares and hearing laughs directed at me.

what the hell kind of movie theatre has "singles and couples sections"?
that's weird

What the hell? never heard of that before.

I just saw it tonight with a couple friends and the only people alone were some dude in front and some girl a few rows below us. Didn't think much of the dude, but seeing a girl alone in a theater was definitely an odd thing to see.

It's extra because it guarantees you a private stall in the shower instead of having to share open space.

I'm pretty sure that's not a thing, and that you somehow bought a senior citizen ticket.

I only paid 3 dollars extra. Some high school kids laughed at me when I waited in the singles line but it was easily worth it. 10/10 Movie.
Yeah I don't know why they do that. I think Sup Forums has too many janitors and they remove random threads/posts based on their own feelings. The global rules are way too vague to follow.

you should have raped her

>Yotsuha does some funky ass shit with Shinto Gods.
What did you mean by this?

Ask her if you two met before. She'll start crying.

stop it. this is not a thing.

I'm looking forward to a manga adaptation; the one for 5 cm was very nice, and written by Shinkai. It had a lot of extra stuff beyond what the movie did.

That'll teach her

Really? When I went only Dream Lantern got subtitled, and I think Nandemonaiya got subtitles for the credits. Kind of sucked we didn't get the other two; really would have liked Sparkle in particular.

Fairly certain its a meme

>You can count on me Taki! Leave the comet to me!

What was the extra stuff?

If you buy a singles ticket the theater also has to perform a mandatory penis inspection to check if you're a virgin. It's a little intrusive, but I understand they don't have a choice.

She was at least a 6/10, but had to have been at least 30, and was super awkward looking. I'll pass on that one famalam

I found it kind of corny that they ended it by saying "whats YOUR NAME" like "HAHA SEE WHAT WE DID THERE"

dumb bitch deserved it for breaking social norms

For 5 cm, quite a bit actually. Main two were that the third part of the movie gets a lot of expansion; its mainly a montage in the movie, but its as substantial as the other parts in the manga. Big focus on his ex-girlfriend, the glasses girl. She's pretty great in her own right, while she was a minor character in the movie. And there's an entire chapter that takes place after the movie's ending, which serves as a kind of epilogue. Very nice, if the movie's ending caused you despair.

And plus, since its a manga, you get more dialogue and feelings vocally expressed. There's other little details that are nice; off the top of my head, there's a few page scene that shows how he actually did date girls throughout college, and that he did eventually get a confession from the second girl but rejected her.

I'm guessing it's because the OP was interpreted as a shitpost, and the janitor assumed the entire thread was such.

>And there's an entire chapter that takes place after the movie's ending, which serves as a kind of epilogue. Very nice, if the movie's ending caused you despair.

Sorry for asking you to feed me but what happens in the epilogue?

it really is a thing in some theaters

Chapter's from the perspective of the second girl, Kanae, as an adult. She musters up the courage to go to Tokyo and try and find Takaki, though she realizes its futile and moves on. However, in the last page you see a guy's shoes stopping, and her getting up with a shocked face. Obviously, they meet up, and presumably get together.

reeeeeeeeeeee
it sounded like it could be a swedish thing :^)

>mfw two of the people who came with me would not shut the fuck up

I'm felt so bad for everyone in the movie. They did quiet down at the last 30~ minutes after other people in our group told them to shut up.

Other than that it was a good movie. I'm actually thinking of watching it again in theaters It shows for 3 more days so I got time to decide. Does anyone know when the BD are coming out in Japan though? I'll probably buy it when it comes to the west but I don't want to wait a year to watch it again.

and it would've been fantastic

Reposting this from archive for everyone who like me didn't catch it before janny went full retard and deleted a nice 9 hour old thread about the movie.

Forgot my pic.

Post Mitsuha

Posting limited edition cake. Handle with care.

When does the Blu-Ray come out in Japan?

Thank you.

October.

The official LN is pretty much just the movie script with more exposition.
It wouldn't have made an anime series unless you want to listen to a lot of monologue and narration.

Sorry, I've never seen this girl before.

I instantly want to marry her.

That's not written by Shinkai though. I don't know if it is even considered canon.

12 episodes is probably stretching it a little thin, it works as a film and there is an additional novel covering the body swap shenanigans in greater detail

Please catch her ribbon.

cake mitsuha the best

yes please

>ywn be gifted a hair ribbon thrown by a qt
On the bright side, the final piece of the movie's paradoxical time cycle just clicked for me: The body-swapping events of the movie were triggered by Mitsuha giving her ribbon to Taki.

In light of that, it seems all the stranger to me that Taki and Mitsuha finally met in Tokyo 5/8 years after he gave her back the ribbon, rather than 3/6 years--since he had held onto it for 3.

Short or long hair Mitsuha?

What was the significance of the sliding doors?

style

I wasn't following the plot beats close enough to notice.

Long. But any length is fine really.

The plot for this movie was utter trash

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Not enough Mitsuha

Not that anybody asked for one, but here is a work-in-progress visualization of the movie timeline.

wouldnt the giving the ribbon bit be earlier, not at the start of when they swapped

Nice dubs user, you are correct. My friends made the same mistake and thought they were the same age in the same year. Guess they didn't want to believe in an older girl/younger guy relationship. She gives him the ribbon the day before she dies to the comet.

Your misinterpretation arises from the rough nature of my chart. What I'm trying to illustrate is that Mitsuha gave Taki her Ribbon, and then 3 years later they started swapping.

SICK

no the breakneck fever dream pace of the movie was perfectly suited to the tone and style, drag that out over 12 25-min chunks and you hurt the impact in a major way

>characters have almost 0 depth or personality
>plot is full of asspulls and random shit
>no relevant themes to speak about

really can someone tell me why this mediocre shit was such a big hit?

It did a good job of tugging the heart of it's viewers

the characters have very authentic and lively personalities, which is why this is Shinkai's most successful project.

Absolutely true.

The trouble is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

weak bait

Your only remotely valid point is the asspulls, but there was only one prolific one (disappearing phone memos)

Sounds like someone is sexually frustrated and takes it out with some good ol masterbait

Anyone see it in theaters yet, is it dubbed or subbed?

Many of us have. And I've seen both.

saw it subbed in theaters over the weekend, been watching the 720p watermarked rip ever since.

Definitely go to a theater or wait for BD rips for your first viewing.

I may go back to the theater to catch the dub so I don't have to wait to hear that tasty Zhu-li inside my waifu

Some theatres and releases in the US have rules against singles/single guys