Has there ever been a bigger upset in the anime market then Kemono Friends?

Has there ever been a bigger upset in the anime market then Kemono Friends?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3uqiL_gZA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Daicon

Define 'upset'.

as in the series you expect nothing from looking at a seasonal chart in terms of quality and popularity

Wasn't this the case with Kobosuba? I remember barely glancing over it that season.

Tell me about kemono friends why is it so popular?
Isn't this just damekko doubutsu?

Well, Girls und Panzer may be somewhat like KemoFure, but certainly not in the same scale, like it almost reached Love Live levels of sales IIRC.

Well, not really. Konosuba has a LN that's doing ok, and wasn't in the same situation as KF.

GuP

That's not the point, the anime wasn't expected to be anything remotely good.

Everything being sold out

> starting watching the anime thinking it's a nice lighthearted series

On the surface, it's lighthearted
On the underneath, it's kinda dark... humans went extinct and there are weird alien like creatures that devour living creatures and all these animal humanoids are fighting them to survive another day.

That's barely anything

It's pretty usual for things with stock problems to sell out fast after small restocks.

No, it is nothing like Damekko Doubutsu.

Fractale. It was supposed to save anime.

flops are the exact opposite of an upset

It would have, but anime just didn't want to be saved.

Everyone was mocking Fractale before it came out because the director was awful. No one expected it to save anime.

It is this generation Araiguma

The only upset that happened there was Yamakan's face at the reception/sales.

I still remember how during the first few episodes people said it was a bad idea because they released the anime after the game closed, or how apparently the anime only pushed through due to contractual issues or something.

The anime was a yakuza scheme.

Konosuba's success is smalltime compared to Kemono.

Konosuba

There has not been an anime this big since Madoka and everyone expected that to be good at the very least.

Wasn't it the top show of it s season, and the top show of last season too besides Kemono?

It was pretty hyped because of butcher

Yes, and it's called Maid Dragon, the objective AOTS last season bar none

>le boob lizards
>'aots'

I wish sandstar was real, I want to be turned into a cute anime girl.

You're not getting a scale of how huge KF blew up.
They had their own mini-comiket(japariket) a while back and fliers and posters for their 2nd japariket was already circulating around on the venue of the 1st one because of how big the circle turnout was. Japariket isn't the only doujin event it was having either, it was just the first.
It's even made it into M-Sute.

>yakuza money laundering scheme
>stealth marketing
>5staff member of using their toasters to spam tweets with #kemofure hashtag
>pay fan artists to draw kemofure arts
>understock vol1 on purpose, to fake a huge demand when they only printed 100copies
You guys fell for the hook link and sinker.

Feels bad man, all I want is to just be the little girl, preferably little cat girl.

Considering how there was no expectations, it's surprising how many people are scrambling to keep up with demand despite the books taking time to be printed

It sold less than Gochiusa and Hataraku Maou-sama. If you don't consider both of those astounding hits, you have no reason to consider Konosuba one either.

Gochiusa is fucking huge

How far from Gochiusa is Kemono Friends first ep view count on nico?

Gochiusa has 8 million in a couple of years but it took KF 3 months to reach 5 million

Since KF is easier to shitpost with, it'll get there

GochiUsa 8.7m KF 5.5m. It'll get there.

1-2 millions I think.

>KF 5.5m
Damn it's still going up at a good rate then, it was 5m not long ago.

sales wise it's good for a second season

But as a new IP, it's really hard to gauge KF due to it's small budget start

As of now, no one really knows what will happen next with all this money being piled on

Hopefully if the anime industry takes anything away from the Kemono Friends craze it is that YURI IS LOVE, YURI IS LIFE.

What they should take away from it is "screw the business side of things, let the creatives do what they want."

>Flip Floppers
>Flop Dragon

Their issue was that they did not go hard gay, you have to leave nothing to doubt.

Kemono Friends is the furthest thing from yuri, you should be wishing for more actual yuri anime instead.

>Wasn't it the top show of it s season, and the top show of last season too besides Kemono?
Yes but it didn't even break 20,000 copies. Yuri on Ice was the sleeper hit of last year, the first BD+DVD sold over 60,000 and even now the other releases so far are more or less 55,000.

Evangelion. Busted studio airing at a children's cartoon schedule went to the monster it is today and inspiring a dozen copycats.

FUCK OFF

>wishing for more actual yuri anime

That turns into romance shit and drama so no.

Sup Forums told me Citrus is going to be GOAT.
Am I being lied to?

Liked.

>anime market
>bringing up flop tits

Is it actually good though?

Yes.

Why would so many people watch it when the animation is awful if it was not for a good story/characters?

Because everybody else is doing it? Sheepminded people aka bandwagoners do that.

Why would everyone else be doing it to begin with then?

That only works when the fanbase already exists.
Kemofure was based from a failed game and bankcrupted cafe. It has no big names, no advertisement, not even a proper BD release.
Nothing but pure passion

Regular old anime is already dirt-cheap to produce, isn't it?

So what's the budget for Kemono Friends? A warm soda and pocket change?

Watch it and form your own opinion.
The CGI is better than Berserk and Sidonia so it shouldn't be a problem if you go through those shows and butcher puppet show.

it's certainly unique. i dont know if i've ever watched an anime that feels quite like kemono friends.

Pretty much

Hey I went to japariket it was great. Pic related. Was a great time.

Are you saying berserk looks worse than fucking this ?
I feel sorry for the fans.

>Kids show but it's actually grimdark

Western cartoons have been doing this forever already.

>aired against fucking Madoka

That's an mmd

Oh hi there Mr. Ball. What's it like in that crowded ballpit?

He did good on Kannagi, though.

What did user mean by this?

Not yuri

Why don't other series benefit from bandwagoners?
KF has a comfy feeling that's hard to explain. thats all

You sure about that user?

How do you know the cafe went bankrupt?

Kemono Friends is good because it's a fun anime with charming characters and comfy worldbuilding with a good ending. Also all the characters are girls and Japan loves that type of shit.

It's too bad Flip Flappers was the exact same save the last point and it had the opposite reaction from people.

>Fractale
oh god
>"I know, I'll make my protagonist extremely unlikeable!"

She kissed a girl and lives together with Beaver.

There's no point in trying to reason with yurifags.

Flip Flappers world building was all over the place and the pace at how things advanced and gets revealed felt like a bunch of people were fighting over on how to do it.

Sup Forums told me
If it was open, we would hear news of stampedes after stampedes in a single cafe

>Get sandstarred
>nothing happens cause sandstar makes you a human friend
Thanks Sandstar.

It was pretty straightforward user. Literally every episode builds upon the last. There's a lot of criticism you can direct at Flip Flappers but haphazard worldbuilding is not one of them. Pacing is debatable, only the end had real pacing issues.

I want to rape Shoebill.

It's fun, addicting and has the right amount of world building and doesn't shove it all in your face with exposition. This show followed the show don't tell route and worked great. Plus it's just cute animal girls doing cute things.

What? No it wasn't. It was pretty straightforward .

That is a fan video
And yes, aesthetic wise it looks better. Background blend better and less jarring movement

Why is this show popular? It's animated worse that Game Grumps Animated!

youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3uqiL_gZA

You become female, and you turn into a Kaban.

Watch it. You know you wanna.

I'm pretty disappointed in KyoAni for picking up maid dragon.

I did. It's a total joke of a "cartoon".

I have no hope for japan if something so vapid is popular over there.

Possibly too straightforward. The difference I felt in Kemono Friends was that the implicit storyline (post-apocalyptic setting) was so expertly weaved into the explicit storyline (safari adventure with cute girls). I think Kemono Friends still suffered from some pacing issues near the end but it was a lot more forgivable.

I thought this show isn't kyoani if I never look up the summary

Maybe because the other parts made up for it? A show isn't built up on it's animation alone you know.
Episode 11 had one of the worst animation sequences in the series and it's one of the most well received episodes.

the show is popular due to rare smugs such as picture related