RIP Kumo desu ga

>RIP Kumo desu ga
>RIP Slime Tensei
>RIP Youjo Senki
It's all ogre

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-15/yen-press-licenses-saga-of-tanya-the-evil-acca-13-one-week-friends-a-polar-bear-in-love-more/.114879
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-12-18/.96648
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you mean?

>liking fads

you reap what you sow

Did they get yenpressed?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-15/yen-press-licenses-saga-of-tanya-the-evil-acca-13-one-week-friends-a-polar-bear-in-love-more/.114879

Kumo's been YenPress'd. Might actually buy it if they don't fuck up Nai wa.

EOPs crying make me hard

Look at that title. Tell me it'll be ok

>Might actually buy it if they don't fuck up Nai wa.
There is literally no way they are just going to leave "nai wa" as-is. Even "biribiri" was stretching it.

The LN, not the manga.

Welp, time to learn moon

>those title """translations"""

Jesus

She still uses nai wa in both of them. LN is different from the WN and my nip is too poor to buy the nip ebook.

>Those titles

Even worse than dungeon meshi's translation

Why is Japan so creatively bankrupt?

It's not like it can be worse than poorly edited machine translations

When did they stop hiring real editors? No competent individual would let something that awkward get through.

lmao@yourmanga

t. non-yenpressfag

I'm out of the loop, what is "nai wa"?

imagine a really teenage girly way of saying "yeah, naaaaaaw" or "no waaaaaaai" or "nooooot"

That's absofuckinglutely gonna get localized.

They're not necessarily final.

Also it's sometimes the Japanese licensor's fault, e.g. when there is already an "English" subtitle (as is the case with Slime Tensei) and they don't want it to be corrected.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-12-18/.96648

Even fucking Crunchyroll made Yojo Senki's english title sound more natural. I'm not just judging off of these titles, modern translators suck. They either listened to too many weebs, or are themselves weebs, and put out machine-tier sentences way more often than they should. Persona 5 is probably the most notable recent example.

>localize and write good english
>oh no they changed the meaning and lost the subtleties it's ruined, fan translation is much more accurate!
>create literal translations just like the fan translators do
>oh no this is terrible and reads poorly, nobody talks like this!

>professionals who get paid should be able to do a better job than amateurs

woah

>That is a bad thing.

All it did was introduce the story to the international market, otherwise it is just an OP issue.

>Youjo is licensed
Honestly not that mad, I love Sky but we'll probably end up with faster translations this way.

>LN garbage
And nothing of value was lost

Truthfully, this. I'd rather hear about a real publishing company picking up more of Hiroshi Mori's books.

>Yen press
>faster translation
Hahhaa

>Looking at the speed of Chinese translation
You sure?

Youjo gets a chapter every 2 months or so, YP volumes come out every 3 months.

>YP volumes come out every 3 months
Only for Index, which has two translators. Everything else comes out every 4 months. Even J-Novel Club only manages one volume every 2 months.

Are you joking? They still haven't caught up with the No Game No Life translations, and they picked it up literally years ago.

And Sky picked up Youjo over a year ago and just finished chapter 2 of volume 2. I'm not saying YP is good or even great, I'm saying they'll be faster than the slowest translation known to man.

It takes 6 months on average for Kadokawa Taiwan to release a volume, the longest being Plus Ultra's 10 months. And that's when they haven't caught up.

>It takes 6 months on average for Kadokawa Taiwan
Where is this data coming from? By looking at amazon most of their LNs come out every 4 months with the more popular ones like Index and Accel World are every 3. Some of their manga (like Hidamari Sketch and Yotsuba) take forever though.

You know real publishers strive not only for accuracy and a natural flow, but they even try to capture the author's tone and style when they translate. Crazy what you can do when you have real professionals instead of whatever hacks you pulled off the internet.

Chinese Wikipedia, and I've been waiting for it.
And does Amazon even do business here?

>And does Amazon even do business here?
In Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia? Nope. You'll have to go with Kinokuniya or Popular.

Good thing I don't read those anymore.

Thing is, lighthearted nonsense like Kumo and Slime were fun to read for free, but I wouldn't pay money for trash like them.

The literal translation of Youjo Senki is just 'the battles of a little girl'.
The yenpress name is neither literal or fluid like Saga of Tanya the evil

>Tanya
>evil

>senki
>battle
Google crap TL detected

>So I'm a spider, so what
That repeating "So" bugs me. Why not just something like So I'm a spider, what of it or I'm a spider, so what?

Americans cant into grammar desu.

Honestly, "Military Chronicles of a Little Girl" is pretty literal translations and sounds the best. I wonder why does the publishers keep thinking up shit when the simplest yet fitting translation is best.

Because "Little Girl" is problematic

This.

As someone that has dealt with licensing and Japanese industry nonsense, I'm just going to say that lots of fans sorely underestimate how petty and ridiculous the demands of the Japanese publishers are. They have the final say in any changes to the original title, and often "suggest" English versions. I say suggest, but there is usually no option but that--you have to accept their terms unless you want to stall the license for months/indefinitely, or worse yet, upset the rights holder and have it canceled on you.

I haven't dealt with the jap and certainly not in anime related stuff, but I have dealt with other asian companies for other industries and yes, you are right. They insist on some of their ideas even though the reason why they approach you in the first place is because you're supposed to have a better grasp of the language/culture than them.
>offer logo/name/brand/slogan/whatever in proper english that native english speakers would actually use
>in the end clients ruin them with their own take and end up with this mangled meaning that neither makes sense in english nor their native tongue.

This bugs me as hell too.

>bugs me
Stop that

Are the Taiwanese still moving faster than Sky? If so we're golden.

>localize and write good english
>oh no they changed the meaning and lost the subtleties it's ruined, fan translation is much more accurate!

These people have blue hair and weigh either 90 pounds or 300. Their Japanese is "second semester at university"-tier (AKA basically nothing) at best, and they're far more proud of this non-accomplishment than anybody should be. Their delusions about Japanese society are ridiculous coming from anyone who's over the age of ten. They're a vocal minority that has been rightfully mocked into the ground for past decade, to the point where people who are scared of being associated with them to the point where they engage in their own idiotic behavior are exponentially more common than they are.

Why would you listen to them on anything?

Oh man, exactly. Running by every little detail is incredibly taxing, not to mention time-consuming given time differences. Schedules are really wonky when you're trying to communicate with them, and you often don't get immediate responses and can end up waiting days or weeks. And when you do get a response, it'll simply say, "We did not like this. Please change it." or "We prefer [this]." even if it's a horrible change. The approvals process for manga can be a nightmare. I appreciated when publishers and rights holders more or less let us do as we pleased, gave some comments on any changes (since ALL changes have to be authorized by rights holders unless you want to sink your business relationship with them), and sign off before we get the material sent to printers/ready to ship.

Then again, I worked on a few projects where everything was initially approved, only to have the first volume come out and the publisher flips out over a change we couldn't possibly have known (like an author/artist name credit which is written differently in English and we were not originally corrected in the initial approvals process). Or they suddenly decide they don't like the logo/cover design, causing us to recall/destroy the first print run, rush to cancel print job at printers, scramble to stop distro, and reprint the whole damn thing once corrections are made and they approve them...again.

The more I read about Japan and China the more I think that East Asians are just culturally predisposed to autism.

3rd worlders/ developing nations aside, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong are pretty professional to deal with.

That's actually the case with CRas well. The reason some of the TLs are shit is because they are obliged to use the script the nips gave them even though the script's english is atrocious.

Well Singapore and Hong Kong have strong British influence.

To return to the topic, I'm hoping that at least next season Japan will have the good sense to listen to the English side when they tell them that "Knight's and Magic" is just plain wrong. Thankfully this season we don't have to put up with "Do you have what THE END? Are you busy? Shall you save XXX?"

Wouldn't they be getting a Japanese script?

For CR's own TL yes. But apparently some shows come with their own translated scripts already which CR is expected to use when they release it. That is, for some shows, CR has no involvement with the TL process at all and it's all by the jap side of things.

I don't believe you.

Can you point out even a single show where this has been the case?

Well, this was from one of the CR CEO's interview (or was it one of those reddit ama thing), so yeah, you are free to take it with a grain of salt.

Which means it may as well them blaming the nips for their mistakes.

I'd imagine the nips would throw a shitfit and break off business relations if he was making shit up, though. Honestly I'm surprised he would say that at all even if true, since it would make the Japanese side lose face. Unless he phrased it in such as way as to not imply for even a second that the Japanese-provided scripts were bad.

I'm just saying, like what the other user has mentioned in this shit does happen. Obviously I don't know exactly what the situation is like in CR but they really can't afford to make up bullshit to blame the nips like that. That shit can be lawsuit worthy.

It's fascinating contrasting this to what I've heard about Nintendo's localization team. The English localization team just makes random and arbitrary changes (because they get paid per change) and Nintendo just lets them do it because they trust them (since it's in-house) and defer to their "understanding of the American audience," even though they're just making excessive changes to get paid and justify their existence.

Obviously this shit is from Sup Forums so who knows how accurate this actually is, but it's strangely the polar opposite to you guy's experience.

Western Kirby is hardcore.

I don't know how true either, but Nintendo is a pretty international business at this point, so I wouldn't be surprised. It's usually the companies that are still quite new at this whole working overseas thing and still very much thinking mainly about their home country's business that tend to overestimate their own knowledge of the foreign market. Generally speaking, bigger, established businesses already know and accept that it's not practical to micro-manage like the smaller firms do.

Nobody has translated the LN version of Kumo yet so this is a good thing.

Literally means "no way". Weebs want it left untranslated because it sounds somewhat cuter in japanese.

>but it's strangely the polar opposite to you guy's experience.
thats because these are people in the same company, not another company trying to market a different companys product

Isn't YP owned by Kadokawa now?

Majority stake, not exactly "owned"

Made me check if a new chapter is out and hell yeah one was out!
Thanks OP.

Anime when though?

If only Rimuru looked this cute in the actual LN, maybe I wouldn't drop it.

Toei's shows are a pretty good example.

Wait, yenpress is the next 4kids?

But this is great news. The YS translation was slow as shit, and Kumo wasn't even getting translated at all.

>Literally
Let's not get ahead of ourselves now.

>next 4kids
TokyoPop already did that years ago already.

kumo was, by raisingthedead

Dumbfuck

The WN, yes. This is about the LN.

>Kumoko:
>WN translated
>No one bothers to do LN
>Tanya:
>No one bothers to do WN
>LN translated
Anyone knows why?

Because Kumo is translated using machines which means WN is easier to work with, while Tanya is translated from Chinese of which only LN version exists.

A licensed manga/novel usually means that the scanlations stop at that moment, so the only way to keep up with the story is to wait until the official release reaches the point where the scanlations stopped

You can just buy digital version of novel of kumoko.

Bookwalker DRM usually precludes the kind of text selection and copying and pasting that is involved in MTL.

Taiwan took 10 months for one Youjo volume, sure you aren't expecting miracles from YP at this point?
I'll be honest with you and say it'd be amazing at one volume every 6 months starting 2017 end / q1 of 2018.

You can get it from other websites, the most easy one is amazon.
As long as it is not alphapolice stuff it should be ok.

Tanya Webnovel is drastically different from Lightnovel version.

You can check out the web novel version yourself if the site is still up.

Basically, the web novel was written like a diary of a solider on the battlefield.

Index only has one translator now. They removed that Japanese guy that kept fucking up every western reference after volume 3, and unsurprisingly there haven't been any major errors since then.

And that's why Tokyopop stopped existing.

>Pro translators
With the time and money contraints that are usually in play, it's not like you get world renowned experts are lining up at publishing companies for a chance at creating their next translation masterpiece.
You get okay translators doing a rushed job. If you read critically, you will find everything from fumbled jargon to factual errors, and that's without even getting to the balance between localization and a literal translation of the original.
The only way out of this is to actually learn moon and read the raws. And not even that will save you from getting things wrong yourself now and then, or from being unable to appreciate subtle differences in tone or nuance.
But since you're reading as a hobby, you're free to reread a sentence or a page, consult /djt/ and look things up, instead of settling for how much the translator was willing to bother with that particular bit.

Isnt dungeon meshi's eng title the same as official romanji one?

Didn't they die because they just licensed too much shit?

>bugs me

IF you are lucky since most just translate first few volumes and then stop.