When I was a kid, people liked anime for the martial arts and the mecha and violence...

When I was a kid, people liked anime for the martial arts and the mecha and violence. How did we go from that to one-dimensional, color-coded, empty archetypal avatars for the bizarre fantasies of sexually frustrated boys? How did we go from cutting-edge action to escapist fantasies in a high school setting? Anime is ruined.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5WJSK2jbuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll bite

There has been anime for sexually frustrated boys for a lot longer than you think.

I remember when anime was adults/scifi action, now it's cartoons for little girls and fruits.

Pic related the last newish anime that doesn't apologize for being old school and gritty with blue humour.

The 80's and especially 90's were a time of "coolness". Things/characters in art got progressively tougher, cooler, or grittier. Once the 00's (especially late 00's with things like Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star), people realized that not EVERYTHING had to be serious. So we're currently in the reactionary period, where we contrast the coolness of 80's/90's anime in favor of total goofiness.
Plus otaku market in Japan sells well and eats up this shit

Who fucking cares, I just want cute things that make me feel good

>especially late 00's
>with things like Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star
what

Completely

It's why MSG is all that's left for me, and slowly some of those elements are cringing more and more

I don't even watch anime in general, it's gone to shit.

Gone are the days of Cowboy Bebop, Lupin, Outlaw Star, Tenchi, and Lain

>The 80's and especially 90's were a time of "coolness"
No it wasn't?

I meant late 00's were more extreme due to early 00's series kicking it off.

>it's this thread again

youtube.com/watch?v=5WJSK2jbuVI

I presume like most if not all spectator driven forms of entertainment, anime drifted towards appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Consider the state of the average male in Japan: He goes to work, earns his day's wage, then returns home to indulge in his various activities. Whatever relations outside of his immediate family and inner circle of friends he does not pursue because he does not find it worth his time. Aside from the basic necessities to live, he invests his time and money into the pursuit of fantasies where he can be the hero of his own story. This includes the purchase of erotic mangas and hentai. The producers of this content begin putting more and more content out on the market in response to the increased demand. As a consequence, various producers and anime studios notice this change in what their consumers want and adapt their products accordingly. What helped hammer this was a desire from foreign markets.

Before this, the West also was growing more interested in Japanese anime and comics, albeit more casually as they had their own media to act as a bulwark against it. However with the increased popularity that the internet was gaining, various people who shared an interest in Japanese formed online communities where they could meet and discuss anime. The creator of this site was among those people. As with the Japanese male, there were many analogs within Western society who also subscribed to erotic mangas, hentai, etc. Over time, more and more people became interested with this material and again the studios responded to the increase in demand.

ah, or how about in the 80's, with urusei yatsura?

Moe is a feeling you have towards a character. It has existed for as long as anime has. Actually, it has existed even longer than that.

Although Westerners keep complaining about "moe anime" and demand "mature" and "artistic" and "serious" anime, they never watch any of those anime despite them coming out like clockwork every season. They refuse to even admit they exist. They don't fit the narrative. The narrative is that "moe" ruined anime, and nothing can get in the way of that.

>The producers of this content begin putting more and more content out on the market in response to the increased demand. As a consequence, various producers and anime studios notice this change in what their consumers want and adapt their products accordingly.
Sexuality has been a part of manga and anime for a long time. It's normal. Even Osamu Tezuka made sexually explicit manga and anime.

>What helped hammer this was a desire from foreign markets.
If there's one thing Westerners hate, it's any kind of sexuality in anime. Which includes moe (it's implicitly sexual).

The exception that proves the rule.

I'm not trying to make a point one way or another, I'm just saying that Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh aren't late 2000s.

>the mind set of the average 2010s anime fan

Nostalgiafags really are the worst.

Just look at something like Welcome to NHK.
It would never get made today, either the MC would have to be turned into a cute girl or the MC would be given some fresh start in a new world.
People want escapism and nothing more.

Newfag 80s fags are the worse.

And machiko sensei, tokimeki tonight, and a fuckton of relevant shit these newfags don't know.

>he doesn't know moe mahou shoujos exist since forever
>he doesnt know tenchi muyo
>he doesnt know urusei yatsura
>he doesnt know ranma 1/2
>he doesnt know futari gurashi
>kid even forgot about slayers
You're not even old enough to know 80s shows and don't even know that in the 80s and 90s we had 2 to 3 times less shows a season if compared to now.

Quality before quantity friend.

People wanted escapism back then, too.
Oh My Goddess! comes to mind.

Quality and quantity are not a duality.

It is zero sum.

Absolutely irrelative. When people talk about "mug gold 80s/90s times/anime" they always talk about the same entry shit like while in the 80s and 90s had a LOT more shows than those, and they don't even know about.

Isn't there a video or photos of anime editor complaining about new genertion's taste? While the younger animator says he likes cute girls?

This. Today there's 45+ TV anime per season and you didn't even get that in a single year in the 80s.

You are an honest to God idiot if you unironically think the anime industry has changed that much in the past two decades.

Stop praising the 80s and 90s so much. You're just like every other pretentious loser who's bitching and moaning about some of the popular shows of the current time, not all of them.

You ever notice how Toonami usually has those shows that you're describing? No? Then go watch those, dipshit. Until then your incessant crying about having to acknowledge that women have tits or whatever is worthless.

>coming out like clockwork every season
Last time we had such an anime was Drifters, and that was two seasons ago. I get your point, but I still think OP also has one in that they are now less common than in the 80s and 90s. They aren't gone, but it feels like they went from being the norm to being the exception.

>it's another thread about how the 90s were better

This is you.

youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

I take it then that you would watch
>Fifteen year old Kyosuke Kasuga moves to a new city and becomes enamoured by one Madoka Ayukawa, whom often treats him coldly even though she seemed friendly the first time they met, when he caught her red straw hat on the stairs. Kyosuke also must try to avoid breaking the heart of the slightly childish Hikaru Hiyama, who fell in love with him after she saw him make an impossible shot with a basketball and who likes to shower him with affection. Also, just to make things interesting, Kyosuke, his sisters, his grandfather, and his cousins all have various powers (teleportation, psychokinesis, hypnosis, time travel, personality transference) which Kyosuke desperately tries to keep a secret, though some of the other family members have no such qualms against using their powers in public.

but not
>The new series is set in a near-future world where the boundary between human being and AI is vague. A rapid biological evolution, similar to "Cambrian Explosion," is caused by one incident. This incident turns into the genesis of a new jostle for supremacy, and the influence of the evolution goes beyond biological framework and spreads to various kinds of materials and technologies. The era of massive evolution involving diverse existences, such as human, machines and biotechnologies, is coming. Characters fight an existential war in such a world.

Inb4 >cherrypicking. Yes, that's what you are doing friend.

Point taken, but that's totally a question o opinion or like some say "taste".
OP is talking about "serious" anime that not follow exactly the "moe norm" from 00s+ shows or shows that are more like 80s or 90s
We have those like Attack on Titan this season, GBF, Re:Creators, Berserk, recently we had Kabaneri, 91 days, Joker Game, Active Raid, Stray Dogs, Kekkai Sensen, only from the top of my head.
The question is that point to three or four shows from 80s/90s and say "see? this shit is good, therefore all of 80s/90s is good" but point to those that pop now and >greentext them.
Its not that they don't happen anyone, its just that you dont like them.

>If there's one thing Westerners hate, it's any kind of sexuality in anime. Which includes moe (it's implicitly sexual).
For good reason it ends up distracting from everything else unless it's handled well which is rarely.