If you don't like Little Witch Academia, Why?

So I know there is already a LWA thread but I wanted to start a new thread on a particular thing. It seems people like even love this show, as do I, but I know at least one person who didn't enjoy the shorts and gave up on the series pretty early.

So I wanted to hear the reasons why people wouldn't like this. Is it the main character in how she is obviously flawed more than your typical "protagonist"? Is it something else?

I'm really curious to hear this.

I hate how trigger pander to westernfags.

Why can't we have more episodes without any stupid action and intrigue and just have comfy episodes with dumb witches?

Boring shit with annoying characters.

Liked the OVAs, dropped the TV series around episode 5. Just found it boring. I guess you can get too much of a good thing (although I may pick it up again at some stage in the coming weeks to give it a second chance).

Also, the threads were great for the first few episodes, but they quickly became very cancerous.

Main reasons are that it's not as high-quality a production as the original films, and the "writing" and "characterization" are bad. I think it's lovely.

Several episodes of the first cour were awful.
The animation became really shit aside from a few standout action sequences.

Dianafags; waiting until the show ends so I can bingewatch without putting up with their cancer

OP here with a folow up question.
What are your thoughts on Akko as a character?

I do adore her determination and spunky attitude but I can feel how her constant screwing up and falling for obvious traps can make her flawed.

but that begs the question, what kind of character do you like more; one that is perfection with little to no flaw that you can look up to or a flawed character that you can feel for or relate to?

She worked for the OVAs but a long running series really shows how shallow she is as a character. There is nothing to her other the Muh Chariot, as far as we know that's her only interest and reason of every action.

It's like a children's anime made by a neural network, absolutely no will whatsoever.

Filler and muh generic underdog saves the world plot. I watch it and it's enjoyable enough but it's nothing to write home about.

agreed brother

Ah the elusive comment about nothing. Shame you couldn't put more will into it.

Don;t get me wrong, I love this shit.

But could it possibly be that so many people love it that it gets multiple threads? People who were neutral to it of course are gonna get mad if it's everywhere.

Akko is just too stupid. One thing is being a big air headed, but Akko puts it into a whole new level

She is great and is the best girl!

>this studio panders to a different demographic that doesn't include my tastes
All anime nowadays panders in some way or another to a certain demographic. Name me one studio now that doesn't do that.

I liked the first ova (the second was mindless animation with barely any story). I liked Akko and really wanted to watch a season about her story. I'm 11 or 12 episodes in and every episode is filler. Hard to watch a show that doesn't build on its own premise.

Generic and boring as fuck.

I love her, I just love Ursula more.

>There are people who legitimately believe that Ursula is Shiny Chariot.

It would be a 10/10 for me if it ended with Akko failing to live up to Chariot.

LWA TV makes me hate Akko and like Diana.

But the show itself is fucking amazing. Can't wait until Akko recites every word and finally meets Chariot.

Akko is perfect!

As someone who loved the animation up until the series the biggest issue is the poor worldbuilding that constantly hurts the viewer's suspension of belief.

A quick example is when the rich guy is going home in his limo after visiting the academy and commenting that he thinks magic is stupid and has no place in the modern world. He says this as his limo is literally driving through a magic wormhole from the academy to some city, possibly in front of his own house.

Zombie dad episode didn't help much either.

Literally every time she uttered the words to activate Shining Rod, it was brought on by her realizing she needs to be herself, not her needing to be Chariot.

But she's a fucking dork.

Akko functions alright as a protagonist if you accept that her growth is a focal point of the show.
The series itself is not mind blowing but it's also alright. Could use a little less blue filter on backgrounds.
The general makes discussion of the series pointless here, but there wasn't that much to discuss in the first place.

the wormhole only connected to the school and that's it. But yeah, i agree the worldbuilding and plot is very poor. Now they will try to throw everything in 2nd cour.

I just picked up and binged on all of LWA in like three days. Loved the movies with all my soul, like the series a lot too but:

1) It's starting to become apparent that Ako isn't great for a long-running series. She's basically Noriko from Gunbuster ("HARD WORK AND GUTS!") but stretched out over two cours. These type of "work hard to achieve your dreams" themes with dumb but hard-working protagonists are good for shorter works but start to grate in longer series. But I let it slide because she's cute and expressive. Ako's entire personality basically exists so she can be animated making cute/funny poses, and it's easy to write her blundering herself into situations that require good animation to solve.

2) The animation isn't as good. Perfectly understandable when it's a series and not a movie, but it gets really grating when entire minutes of the episodes are just recapping stuff that happened a while ago to save on the budget. Or a lot of stuff like characters just floating into the frame sometimes or shots with no animation at all outside of lip flaps. They make up for it with the big sequences most of the time tho. Or you have animation like the skeleton guy up which had dogshit floaty animation that looks like it was outsourced to Korea (even if it was an amazing episode otherwise, very funny).

3) No one cares about the fucking plot man. LWA's overarching plot isn't interesting, it's trite, stupid, predictable and boring. The first two movies worked because at the end of the day they were just fun adventures with good payoff. LWA the series has a ton of good episodes and they're all entirely episode and irrelevant in nature. Now that the actual plot is actually moving along as of the last two episodes, it's suddenly a LOT less interesting. Western-style shows like this work better when they're irreverent and goofy, and shouldn't try to get you to take them seriously.

I liked the OVAs enough to contribute to the kickstarter. I am really disappointed in the anime because it isn't as fulfilling and seems like they just waste episodes on filler instead of actual content. It's not that I dislike the TV series, but the allure and hype that I built up around the series has died down. I used to go on the LWA threads on Sup Forums and stay up all night shitposting "SUBS WHEN". Now, I just check on Mondays and probably watch the show on Tuesdays or Wednesday. It seemed less about magic SoL and more about middle school/highschool SoL, which there are a lot of already.

The beginning portion was boring. I watched like 2 or 3 episodes but the lack of anything interesting combined with how stupid Akko is got on my nerves.

Now that the storyline is kicking in maybe business will pick up

Noriko was 1) Way hotter and 2) Not as obnoxious as Akko.

Which makes sense, given early Gunbuster's "sports parody" flavor

chronic hemorrhoids has proven to be more entertaining than the show

Personally, i prefer a character with with a mix of both attributes, to give a few examples, Midorya (My Hero Academia), Monkey D. Luffy(One Piece), Gon (HunterxHunter). I find very under powered useless characters and overpowered easy mode characters very annoying for their own reasons. Although, both kinds of characters can be done right in the appropriate setting, like with Saitama (One Punch Man). As for Akko, she's an average MC, she has a likable personality, but her stupidity can get annoying sometimes.

>way hotter
no denying it.

It honestly bored me.

>What are your thoughts on Akko as a character?
Her progress is glacial.
There are plot reasons why her progression is so slow. She IS translating a magic language into her secondary language and then probably translating that into her native language inside of her head.
I get the whole point of her character is determination and talent over tradition. At the same time; it's been a miserable first 12 episodes watching her go down this path because of the sheer number of failures she's had.

Chaining herself to shooting star should have been how she approaches every problem. She's boiler plate and cookie cutter when she tries to train and learn things the hard way, and furthermore: it's not interesting to watch. It's not interesting to watch her slowly get better because there are these 10 or 11 episodes where she's not good at magic, and therefore can't solve any problems in a unique way.

In the OVAs she was akin to a pyromancer (hot bloodeded, get it?), while that doesn't have the hilarity potential as shapeshifting; it also lacks the hard and strong edge that he had in the OVAs. Without her signature magic and with this new gimmick; she seems like someone who everyone in the show is completely right about: someone who just doesn't belong because she's a one-trick pony.

I don't expect her to be a master, but watching the equivalent of a muggle struggle through Luna Nova for 12 episodes wasn't very interesting. I would go as far as to say that Cour 1 could have been skipped in favor of Cour 2 and nothing would have changed. We would probably think the TV show is interesting; even.

I still think she's pretty, but that's detached from her usage in the show.

personally i think your fanbase is really autistic and basically reddit

>So I wanted to hear the reasons why people wouldn't like this.

The main plot was a bit too slow for some, and the animation has been mediocre in the last couple of episodes. It also hasn't made maximum use of its large cast of characters; more colorful interactions with Amanda, Diana, and their respective crews would have made this show feel brighter.

I'm really loving the show, but I'm just listing reasons why people might not like it.

>What are your thoughts on Akko as a character?

She's really, really cute. Akko haters should fuck off. I think the main complaint against her would be that she's not developing her magic skills fast enough, but that really doesn't bother me.

Good post

I think the pacing was pretty awful through the first 10 episodes or so. I really disagree with how much of the OVA material they recycled even if they expanded on every borrowed scenario. At the same time, there was an entire episode about a completely unrelated light novel author mystery bullshit just to re-introduce Lotte's fairy speaking ability. It wasn't necessarily a bad episode, but it contributed to a bit of an aimless mess at the start. Beyond that, Akko spent much of that entire stretch being completely inept. To a certain extent, you could say that we haven't gotten coverage of new material until the past few episodes. I think it is finally heading in a good direction, but the next episode will probably determine whether it can juggle the overarching plot without completely eschewing academy life fluff.

It really sucks how static Chariot has been as a character. She does a lot of staring off into the distance with regretful eyes, but she literally got written out of an episode the moment she resolved to tell Akko shit. Her school life memory details are basically nothing surprising for the Chariot we know existed, and we still know nothing about why she disappeared. I guess we can now say she failed to get the last word, or she got too old, or something.

It just feels way too much like a show aimed at actual children. I want a Trigger show for manchildren with batshit frenetic energy, not actual children. Waaa waaa

Andrew.

>waiting for the series to end so I can binge watch without their cancer
How exactly does shitposting in a thread on Sup Forums affect you watching a series? Like, you don't have to go in the threads.

Oh, and I really don't get what happened with the weeping ghost. They had the entire set up for the "Akko uses transformation magic and the help of her friends to entertain the ghost" bit down so well that I called it the moment the weeping ghost was introduced. It was so obvious, but that's because it was thematically perfect with both tying together Akko's treasured friendships and her connection to Chariot. BUT THEN THAT PLAN FAILS AND THEY USE BRUTE FORCE TO RIP THE CURSE OUT AFTER URSULA FETCHES THE SOLUTION EX MACHINA (even though magical brute force was the solution anyway). Her plan might as well have been, "I'm going to eradicate the ghost with a Shiny Arc blast; Fuck friendship and thematic resolution of tension."

There wasn't even a need to subvert the plan by having it fail because they brought in the disqualification excuse anyway.

It's very generic to me.

Akko is just rule 63 classic Naruto

I don't care about shows that are "cute girls doing things" or just generally have little girl main characters.
I'm fine with women as main characters, but little girls can fuck off.

Harry Potter was literally written for children and that manage to have a lot of exciting action and mystery elements.

familiar episode when?

What they tried to do was combine two things into one: the culmination of Akko's bond with her friends, and the discovery of a new word.

Since all of the words so far is a variation of a weapon, it wouldn't make much sense for a weapon to make the ghost laugh. I see the corner the wrote themselves into, and am not defending it; but I can see why they made the decision they did.

Ideally the ghost thing and the weapon thing could have worked in unison.

But they even pre-established Arise Aryan! as ultra-morph in the Chariot memory scene, which was also one of the best scenes in the entire show so far. There was absolutely no need to have it go to sparkly brute force when Chariot used the word to do exactly what Akko's original plan hinged on. It all lined up perfectly with transformation and the power of friendship.

Chariot spinoff when?

You know it's bad when we have to sympathize with fucking Diana

It will be truly hilarious if she figures out Ursula's identity on her own before Akko even gets spoonfed the truth. It's already ridiculous that Akko doesn't even have a twinge of curiosity as to how Ursula is so familiar with the rod and the words. She basically admitted to knowing as many words as Chariot and Akko just nods.

I'm pretty upset with how they've handled their side cast

Like seriously is Lotte even a character at this point?

I love that Trigger keeps fucking up this series with two crappy pretty dudes and forced romance bullshit. Then make up some cheapass excuse like they thought about bringing boys since the OVAs. Why didn't they do it while they were at it, then? Things would've been different.
This is why you don't fuck with the fans, kids. Don't change the formula if they like it very much and want to keep it like that.
Episodes 6 and 10 would have been great without the shoehorning, but the fact they just hamfisted romance and it just had to have Andrew and Frank in it. Whatever role Andrew and Frank played in those episodes, that role would have been filled better by and actually been enjoyable if it was with Lotte and Sucy or team B or Ursula or some other teacher.
The hamfisting characters or romance into an episode really takes away from the enjoyable parts, but the lackluster resolution of episode 5 doesn't take away from the good parts of episode 5.
Trigger should care because this is their second fluke in a row, Kiznaiver was even worse. If they keep being so unsuccessful they are going to have a hard time finding any investors. I'm surprised they were able to find any anyways, that faggot Tattun said Trigger wasn't on the production committee so they don't see any of the profits, which means it doesn't matter to Trigger whether the show does well or not because it doesn't affect them, which means they can just fuck up the show like they tried to in episodes 6 and 10.
>inb4 "b-b-but Fagrank is a bro!!!1!1!"
He is the type of faggot that was born into a rich family, got a high paying job thanks to nepotism, yet acts like he had to work hard to be where is he and will try to join in on regular people's conversation about their day to day struggles which he has never experienced.

The ova is a nice little thing about channeling the wonder of being a dumb little kid.
The show is some insipid garbage about ancient prophecies and messianic shit. I really can't stand it.

shut the hell up

How can you complain about forced romance when the problem is that there isn't actually any romantic development? They need to force it harder, because two appearances already haven't made Andrew more developed than his standing aloof cameo shot in the first OP. Does he even show up in the second OP?

Romantic interests would have been a fine addition, but they didn't actually add those.

>How can you complain about forced romance when the problem is that there isn't actually any romantic development?
Because Andrew shouldn't have been added to begin with.

YOU PEOPLE ARE SO FUCKING AUTISTIC ENJOY THE FUCKING SHOW

Keep it up.

What is Akkos hair style called?

And this ones?

Trigger can really only do well with shorts

>reddit spacing
>tumblr gifs
Lurk for 2 years before posting, cancer.

The OVA was just anime girl Harry Potter, and that isn't good enough.

You guys don't fucking care, but artistic value will always be important to me and this has none.

>The only show with some kind of artistic value
>Trust me guys, I don't care, but I'm sure this has none

Git gud on your banter m8

Also, we need more Constanze. There's barely any good pics lately

>implying Uchouten Kazoku doesn't shit all over LWA

I like LWA, but LWA fags are insufferable disgusting meme-spouting subhumans.

Because Akko is a shit main character and the rest of the characters are hardly characters at all.

This. LWA It's actually pretty good, or at least decent by todays standards. Yet, the fags on this threads are fucking autists.

I think the show is pretty good and very enjoyable. One of the main complaints I hear is about Akko being a bad character with poor or slow development. I agree on the slow part, but I disagree on her development being poor. She starts off as a lazy goof, then goes to a hard working goof and the part in ep 13 where she actually puts out a semi-competent show was great. We have like 10 episodes left anyways which is enough time for Akko to improve and develop more.

The series has its flaws, like some weak starting episodes and the main plot starting a bit late, but it's definitely a very enjoyable show in my opinion and very fun and vibrant.

>on

>anime has artistic value
LMAO

Honestly, I thought her lack of improvement was one of the least of her problems.

How do they do pander?

kek

>muh boys
>where is the romance?
>2 opposite genders
>????????

Because it's a shit show that is over-hyped. The only reason Sup Forums hasn't dropped the show is because tattun made it so popular.

I'm still watching the show but don't really "like" it.
My biggest gripe are the characters, none of them is even remotely interesting.
The retarded MC is one of the stereotype I hate the most.
There was no sense of improvement over the entire first half, making many episdes feel like filler.

They removed panty-shots because netflix forced them too. We are in a dark age for anime.

Chariot and Sucy are the only things keeping it afloat

I just wish they would hurry up and reveal Chariot's true identity so that she can keep her red hair and never have to wear those ugly megane again.

Akko. Akko is 99% why I dropped this.

This is simply not true.

>little sales academia

I don't really give a fuck about panty-shots being removed but how do you know they did this because Netflix forced them?

tattun confirmed it in one of the earlier threads.

Trigger is and always has been terrible at pacing. Akko has not developed as a character at all in 15 episodes and was literally only given a goal in the last episode. People keep saying "Lol it's slice of life, don't take it so seriously", but the show takes ITSELF too seriously for that to be the case. The mistakes that Akko makes are never played comedically enough for a SOL show, they're presented as an actual obstacle for the character that are frustratingly barely overcome due to the lack of character development.

Can't wait for trigger to try forcing the plot into the last 5 episodes, those fucks cannot construct a plot to save their lives.

>It just feels way too much like a show aimed at actual children.
From what I watched before dropping this, this is miles behind genuine shows for actual children like precure or pripara.

I really find that hard to believe

Didn't you see what they did to Death Note?

Jesus Christ, a LWA thread that I can actually tolerate these days that isn't filled with cancerous fanfic-tier greentext posts.
I myself liked the OVAs, but for the TV series, I just didn't find the overall plot, the worldbuilding, or the characters interesting enough to hold my attention.
and others already pointed out some of the flaws in the writing, and things like that definitely didn't help for me getting invested.
The animation also took a heavy hit, but at least that's understandable.

I also just didn't end up liking Akko's character for many of the reasons described. It's not even like I particularly hate that archetype; I was mostly fine with Noa from Patlabor or Tanabe from Planetes, but Akko's depiction just isn't doing it for me mostly because of how much of a slog her progression became.

Ended up dropping it at around episode 9 or 10, can't remember. Really, the biggest issue by far is the writing.

>Because Andrew shouldn't have been added to begin with.

I'm an idiot, meant to quote instead of Christ, I need to sleep already.

LWA threads are quickly becoming Monster Girl threads bad.

I'm watching it for the animation.
Visually, it's exquisite but the plot is nothing special.

Her VA is probably in her 50s now and has grandkids.

I don't really like episodic shows. I'm still watching it and going to finish it anyway, but it kinda feels like a chore.