There's literally only 6 story episodes (one of them having only 30 seconds of story)

>There's literally only 6 story episodes (one of them having only 30 seconds of story)
>The rest is literal filler
>Didn't even manage to have a conclusive ending, ends with a cliffhanger
>Still considered one of the best animes ever made

Explain

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lkXFBPGZpTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The filler is the best part and the most comfy. It honestly needed another season's worth of filler if you ask me.

>cliffhanger
What's cliffhanger about it? Spike dies after killing Vicious, life goes on. It's only a cliffhanger if you think there's a good chance Spike didn't die, which I guess is possible if you say that the star falling was Vicious' star, but Spike was deathflagging hard.

How are they filler when they're showing the characters interacting and growing with each other?
Just because they aren't specifically mentioned in the finale doesn't mean that they're not important.

the majority of the filler episodes were pretty solid IMO, I can't say that I didn't enjoy watching them. Bebop's worst sin was that it was too short.

I forgot to add how the majority of the time characters don't fucking interact with each other. Really, their interpersonal relationships sucked, I don't remember Jet or Spike ever calling Faye by her name, characters mostly ignored each other unless they were all chasing the same dude

That's because Faye was an interloper and nobody really wanted her around.

So why didn't they kick her from the bebop? Hell she wasn't even paying at first

Because they are Beta

>animes

Its one of the very few shows that did episodic anime right. The only other ones I can think of are Mononoke and Mushishi.

You're responding to an autist sperging out about a show not having a simple, clearly-defined and delineated story. Concepts like character development are beyond him.

Space Dandy?

That's actually right, just people with that level of understanding of anime would like such crap

GITS:SAC

youtube.com/watch?v=lkXFBPGZpTM

The "filler" is the whole point of the show. You're seeing the Bebop crew react to the tragic situations others find themselves in, which slowly gives more insight into the tragic pasts of the crew themselves.

This, op is probably a structuralist fag

I'm gonna be real--the story of Cowboy Bebop fucking sucks. All those story episodes are generic as fuck with the only saving grace being the animation.

What makes Bebop great is the characters, all of the best episodes are filler episodes. It's my favorite anime and I was bored as fuck during the "story" bits.

Holy shit, I love Bebop but this is just straight up shilling. There's almost 0 character development, tell me how the fuck did Ed, Jet and Faye ever get developed? They all start the series with a very defined personality and end up the series with the same personality. Jet NEVER changes his attitude towards anything, Faye is a bit Tsundere on some episodes but then goes back to being a cold bitch in the rest and Ed has absolutely 0 changes.

Spike is not very different either, they really don't change throughout the series.

Bebop had a great soundtrack, animation, fun "monster of the week" episode and great setting, character design and personality was top notch, but it didn't have character development.

>Holy shit, I love Bebop but this is just straight up shilling.

Yeah, you got me. Sunrise is paying me to hang around Sup Forums and promote a nearly 20 year old series.

>17:40
Nobody's got time for that.

Ok fuckface, don't take everything so literally, I'm just trying to say you're trying to be a fanboy about it. Bebop strong suit was not character development

Characters can be static you know, and that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing

development in the sense that they were explained, not changed.
You realized why they were, and why they would never change

^^^^^^^^hack this reply lmao

refer here

Not everybody needs character development asshat. Just because a character changes doesn't all of a sudden make that character good. The very fact that in a lot of ways some of them don't change is the point in this anime. They can't change and their pasts are never going to go away. That's exactly why Spike fucking goes to die despite Fei trying to stop him.

>It honestly needed another season's worth of filler if you ask me.

This. It could have easily had another season's worth just slotted in the middle, kind of like how they handled the movie. I can see the value in the ending as is but they definitely weren't running out of ideas or anything like that.

You're not allowed to criticize bebop because the 90s kids who are now approaching 30 are the overwhelming majority of vocal fans online and they feel serious nostalgia for the series.

In reality the show is a 6 by modern standards and deeply overrated at this point. Its main flaw is that it's boring.

>Its main flaw is that it's boring.
>I have no attention span and need to be stimulated 100% of the time

You're fucking retarded and so is this whole stupid ass hatred towards "filler" that Sup Forums has held for so long.

What I mean is it doesn't have much going on when it comes to the story or the characters. Everything is extremely simplified and it never catches the viewer off guard. It has the narrative complexity of your average episode of spongebob.

Bebop is excellent and it's ridiculously contrarian to deny it

>Episodic anime
>filler

Bait.

Overrated burger bullshit.

Dubs of truth

Sup Forums prefers moe otakushit, don't expect critical thought here

>simple = boring

Yes, it's very poor, all style and little substance.
Some people liked the style, and it aired while they were kids and didn't know better, so they like it. That's it really.

Yes, simple, shallow, stories are boring.

>cliffhanger
I hate this Spike might've lived schlock, and it's terrible that Watanabe went along with it. It's far more complete and sensible for him to have died.

>animes
and you expect me to take your post seriously?

I don't really feel nostalgia for the series, first time I watched it I only went through the "story" episodes and skipped everything else. Thought it was pretty overrated. Years later I finally sat through the whole thing and loved it. I'm rewatching it on blu-ray now and its still an enjoyable watch.

So what causes Cowboy Bebop to be waved away as "no substance"?
I think you're all a bunch of contrarian faggots who have heard cliche rules of narrative such as "style over substance" and "show don't tell" and decided that you are now capable of meaningful criticism, which you aren't.

If Watanabe says he may be alive, then he probably is. If he was as badly injured as people says he was, he wouldn't of been able to stumble down those stairs the way he did. He would of collapsed on the spot so it's more than likely he only passed out from the injuries.

I don't understand this delusional thought people have, saying Spike HAS to be dead to the point they act like the creators own words don't matter. Don't be a fucking idiot and accept the ending was made to be ambiguous .

SAC is not good

You don't like episodic formats with an overarching plot that only sporadically appears as the cast go about their dangerous, adventurous, comedic lives?

GITS in general is not good. Nothing but boring philosophical garbage.

the first film was great and didn't drag on too long

It's more complete and sensible because that's how everything was being built up. The star prophecy, the lose of all purpose, the dual destiny, the farewell, the walk into the sun and the ending card. What fucking point is there to have Spike still living?

>muh muchur anime

>plotfags
You'll never get it.

>What fucking point is there to have Spike still living?
Future adventures.

>What fucking point is there to have Spike still living?
you're starting to understand, Watanabe followed a pretty non-standard design. To Spike, it doesn't matter at all if he is dead or alive. You see this thrown around in the film during his near death experience, he becomes lucid from his waking dream and realizes he was still scared of death.

its pretty fucking boring yeah. people just jerk off to the animation

Why? His girl is dead. He just made a big suicidal scene of blowing up the syndicate tower. There's nothing sensible left for him but to die.

exactly. like who even old people liestens to honking horn jazz nowadays?

Cowboy Bebop is good but Jazz is trash

>Literal filler.
It's episodic, moron.
Filler is when an anime has to make up episodes so the manga can get ahead.

This guy gets it

>Still considered one of the best animes ever made

Said no one ever

>the show is a 6 by modern standards
Are you fucking kidding? You can count the number of decent shows in one hand every season. And even then most times their production values are laughable. There's nothing mediocre about it. Don't be intellectually dishonest.

but it doesn't contribute to the gang story??? I don't understand

It's the journey not the destination user.

>In reality the show is a 6 by modern standards and deeply overrated at this point.

I agree for the most part, but why "modern standards"? It wasn't good back then either.

use reddt spacing one more time and I'll send you six feet under

Said lots of people you literal nigger. Mostly outside of Japan because culture.

It doesn't need to. Cowboy Bebop isn't all about the gang story. It's about Spike and his friends during the time they were all together.

>animes

but that's worthless fanservice, I don't like it!
6/10 at most

>it's not a 6 because I say it's not
All style and no substance cannot get anything higher than a 6, sorry.

>weeaboos will defend this

Typical genkishit character that you'd see in any moe anime, or even MLP.

Japs are always pandering to people who are mentally 6.

I think it is one of the best anime ever made and I have good taste. Not everybody subscribes to hive minds.

Are you a fucking retard? Why would you watch a show, then skip over 3/4ths of it?

see

>but that's worthless fanservice
Why do you argue when you don't even know what it is that makes you angry?

You may not like it but saying it's not considered one of the best animes of all time is like saying Michael Phelps doesn't have an olympic gold record

Because I was a dumb 15 year old. Believe me I don't get why I did it either. I think I wanted to watch it quickly just to say that I did.

Because 3/4 of it is trash. I'd skip Jupiter Jazz as well. Only BotFA and The Real Folk Blues 1&2 are worth watching.

>animes

explain your reason without the words style or substance

Yeah I agree, actually you should only watch the first and last episode of every anime that's really the only way to enjoy things all the rest is filler trash in fact just skip watching anime and kill yourself, this life between is nothing but useless filler.

There's even less "main plot" related episodes arent there?

>Ballad of Fallen Angels
>Jupiter Jazz
>Real Folk Blues

I guess thats five if you count that the later two are two parters

Ultimately I realized that it was a mistake and that the "filler" episodes only enhanced the plot episodes. Those last few episodes only have any impact if you spent all the time getting to know and becoming attached to the characters beforehand.

overrated because of nostalgia, the style of it makes it easy to still like even when you come back to it
most of the episodes were boring
space dandy is the superior show

>being episodic is now considered filler
Kys newfriend

Because it's not one of the best ever, OP. It's entry level garbage, babby's first non-shounenshit """serious""" anime that most of Sup Forums so when they were young and so have a very warped, nostalgic view of.

I mean it's not a bad show, but everything about it is derivative of Western film and music. If the supposed best anime ever is a 26 episode homage to Western media and culture, that sure says a lot about anime as an """artistic""" medium.

>Needing plot

See this is why people consider Cinema superior it's long ago been accepted by non-plebs that all other elements in cinema are secondary to the spectacle itself.

>he doesn't like episodic space adventures

Surprisingly I don't. Plot is the bread and butter of a show. If you're going to introduce plot, then don't pretend like it doesn't exist for 80% of the show and get on with expanding the plot you created. That was the problem with CB: it tried to be a plotless comedy show while being a plot-filled serious show at the same time which was quite jarring in the end, honestly. Worst part was that there was very little character development throughout the entire show, during both comedy and serious parts. If you're going to have plot, please develop the characters a bit. To me, something like Space Dandy or Planetes were both a lot more enjoyable than CB, the former being entirely a comedy show while the latter had both comedy and serious plot and actually incorporated them well during its runtime. And Planetes actually had character development as well which was what made it great.

Let me ask you this: were there people that legitimately cried/teared up when Spike died? I didn't feel a thing because the show did a pretty bad job at making me care about his character. In the end, he was just a guy that did stuff.

Where did this meme that a show exist to advance a "main plot" come from?

All a story exist to do is tell a story. How it goes about telling that story is what makes things interesting. Cowboy Bebop is interesting because it looks at it's characters from a more down to Earth perspective.

Take Faye for example. Yes, her "main plot" is that she was frozen and is from far into the past, or whatever, but in real life she would not be living everyday for that fact. People in general don't live every single day towards one singular main plot goal, that is a very particular classical style of storytelling.

Cowboy Bebop instead just says "let's look at these people day to day life," and just like day to day life, at random times they learned more about each others past, more about each other through their interactions, and progress was always made in some way in an episode, even if it isn't one massive build up to a final showdown.

It gives it this reliability. Think about somebody like your father. Chances are you probably don't know all the details or everything about your fathers past, but you still were able to live with him growing up and felt you built this relationship with him.

That is what Cowboy Bebop is, and the sad part is imagine if part of your Dad's past was that he was involved in some shady stuff, and absolved himself from it, and then it came back to haunt him but he could choose to ignore it, and then he prioritized it over you.

That's the real "significance" of the ending. It's not, nor does it try to be, some grand space opera. It's more free jazz than fugue.

>but everything about it is derivative of Western film and music

Name an anime that isn't just derivative stories of past works.

All art is derivative.

Spike's death was pretty sad. I thought it's format was great. Sorry it didn't click with you.

>were there people that legitimately cried/teared up when Spike died?

Yes. Almost everybody that isn't you in fact. That's where the memes come from. Also disagree with everything else you said.

When will people understand that SAC needs to be more like Robocop. More action less dialog that confuses the fuck out of you.

There's nothing wrong with an episodic series, but Cowboy Bebop isn't episodic. It's literally two plot driving episodes -> bunch of filler -> halfway thru they suddenly reintroduce the main plot -> another 8 episodes of filler -> last couple of episodes you finally see some substantial character and story development.

That's not episodic nor is it story-centric, it's basically 'oh shit we're supposed to make 26 episodes not 20 better write some shit up quick'.

It also wouldn't be as bad if the filler was actually memorable. I only remember that one episode with the super AI.

A show is not bad because you are a stupid. The only "bad" part of SAC is the library episode.

>animes

Too many twelve years old kids here. Of all the shows you could troll with "lolplot" you had to choose Cowboy Bebop...

I remember every single episode.

Also something isn't suddenly not episode if there is something that reoccurs during it. It's still fundamentally episodic. They just all happened to have lives outside of what was going on in the background with the Mafia.

Bepop isnt a story driven show; its 'story' lies with the characters.