Who did it better?

Who did it better?

Did what better?

Highschool DxD

be a better a gneric shit?
i think

Monogatari had decenty written dialogue at least, even if it often tried too hard.

How is Hyouka generic?

hyouka is ok
monogatari is garbage

How is Bakemonogatari generic?

hyouka is garbage
monogatari is ok

hyogatari is ok
monoka is garbage

Hyouka had decenty written dialogue at least, even if it often tried too hard.

kagatari is ok
hyomono is garbage

>It's yet another SHAFT vs KyoAni thread

yay?

When was the last time you saw one of those? SHAFT is a joke now.
Here we just laugh at how awful Hyouka is.

>It's yet another KyoAni vs SHAFT thread

yay?

You're in a good mood today, user-kun. Did something good happen?

When was the last time you saw one of those?
Kyoani is a joke now.
Here we just laugh at how awful monogatari is.

What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that?

Garbage awkward dialogue, no real teenager would call himself database and say that he can't draw conclusions, especially in front of people he just met.

The barneyfag of Hyouka threads.

>barneyfag

Hey, he posts here once in awhile if a thread happens to be up.

You posting screenshots and calling it bad is not an argument. Why are those specific lines of dialogue not appropriate for fictional works where metaphors are a huge part of the storytelling, like Hyouka? Why should every character in fiction talk the way you would?

He was explaining his philosophy or way of thinking. It makes sense. Are you saying that dialogue has to be totally mundane in order to be good?

>Why should every character in fiction talk the way you would?
because it's set on earth, not middle-earth

>It's yet another KYAFT vs ShoAni thread

yay?

>fictional works where metaphors are a huge part of the storytelling
Hyouka is grounded in reality, the characters have to behave realistically.
And not being able to include the metaphors without making them feel awkward and forced is sign of bad writing. If you can't even write a decent dialogue, forget layered and symbolic narrative.

The way the characters explain their philosophies is always forced and unauthentic. I could post dozens of these, real teenagers don't talk this way, this is shit even by anime standards.

You can't just make the claim that it's forced or unauthentic based on a translation. Have you stopped to think that maybe it sounds more than acceptable in Japanese? Regardless, I don't find the things Houtarou says to be that out there.

What anime do you personally think has good dialogue?

Even shitposting is better than the horrible discussion going on itt

>the translation excuse
Reminds me how every LNfag swears that the writing isn't shit, it's the translation's fault.
Without wandering to far off even Hibike had much better dialogue than Hyouka.

They both got too serious once they started making big money.

What happened to the people who made SZS and Lucky Star?

KyoAni shows usually do. K-On, Hyouka, Tamako, Hibikek.

KyoAni made TSR before Lucky Star

>Stop discussing anime!
Okay.

What other LNfags say is not really something I give a fuck about.

In any case, "real teenagers" is a shitty argument. Sometimes people use words or sentence structures outside their comfort zone to explain abstract concepts, and I think that's plausible enough, unless you hang around people who don't discuss that kind of thing at all. A better example of truly awkward translation were some of those screenshots of Persona 5 dialogue that were floating around - they all concerned situations that should be really simple to talk about in theory, but the whole translation made them sound really... off.

>Sometimes people use words or sentence structures outside their comfort zone to explain abstract concepts, and I think that's plausible enough

Yeah, phrased like that, it does sound exceedingly pretentious. The point is that it's not implausible to think he lacks the knowledge to formulate that sentence on the spot, so he could have a moment to "show off" in front of Houtarou. Also,
>translation

It's still fiction.

>the characters have to behave realistically.
according to whom?
>And not being able to include the metaphors without making them feel awkward and forced
Subjective
>is sign of bad writing.
according to whom?
>If you can't even write a decent dialogue, forget layered and symbolic narrative.
Grasping at straws and non-sequitur

you do realize he didn't even say that out loud, right?

he says equally cringey things out loud as well

KnK when it killed Monogatari AND Madoka

You're right, I should have posted the terrible exposition of his philosophy in the opening scene. Maybe someone can help me out with the webm.

I like how I'm seeing so many more examples of cringeworthy dialog from Hyouka than Monog.

You can hate Monogatari as much as you want but hell, at least it's more interesting than Scooby Doo school edition.

>dive into the depths of the labyrinths of wisdom

Holy shit, if that's not the most pretentious sentence ive heard in the past year

How are we even comparing these shows?

monogatari is unashamedly trashy with its dialogue, hyouka is just pretentious

and you do realize Oreki and Satoshi are supposed to talk like pretentious teenagers, right? Explain to me why literally nobody else in the show talks like that. If you so insist that the author can't write good dialogue, show me bad dialogue that isn't Oreki or Satoshi.

Oh yeah, they ripped off Madoka a whole year before Gokumi. Thank you based Kinoani.

i got you m8

Such as...?

That's because monogatari isnt nearly as pretentious as hyouka

>show me bad dialogue that isn't Oreki or Satoshi.

>real teenagers don't talk this way
This is always a stupid way to judge dialogue. Real speech is not conducive to entertaining or coherent fiction.

What's bad about that?

Shaft never got overly serious though? Monogatari is the perfect balance between light hearted, parodic comedy and serious character drama, and it's still Shaft's flagship title. And they're still producing straight comedy shows like Sasami, Nisekoi and Graffiti. I agree that KyoAni has been doing too many serious shows these past few years, but just last season saw them returning to comedy form with Maidragon.

That would be because Hyouka largely takes itself seriously and tries to act as if its characters are all real people. Monogatari establishes that it's characters, scenarios and interactions are all fantastical, exaggerated and metaphorical from the very start. Characters talking in ways you wouldn't expect your nextdoor neighbour to isn't that jarring when those characters are also superpowered lolis standing in the middle of vast, impossible lanscapes.

>according to whom?
Is the story a character drama grounded in reality? So why shouldn't the character behave like real human beings?
>Subjective
Sure thing.

I meant examples of bad Monog dialog.

That's not bad dialogue. It's behavior you don't like. "I'm curious" may not be something you say out loud like that in English, but "ki ni naru" is not an uncommon phrase in japanese.

it's fucking annoying

i didn't mean trashy in a bad way, i meant in a fun way.

Hyouka's dialogue is intentionally unrealistic as a stylistic choice.

Lots of anime that Sup Forums circlejerks endlessly also do this such as Tatami Galaxy or Aria. Hyouka just gets shit because it's Kyoani.

that's true but does these kinds of dumb lines add anything to the dialogues? I mean who really thought the database metaphor added anything to the characters? People can't have a 100% "database" brain, so at least don't bring that up every episode because you make it seem like something serious when it shouldn't be

It just has bad dialogue; the courage to be a shit show.

This. The only real "no smiling allowed" Shaft titles are Madoka and EF.

Nice visual storytelling you have going on there Kyoani.
Bravo

>why shouldn't the character behave like real human beings?
I guess Shakespeare is a shit writer because nobody talks like that. No wonder anime fans are looked down on if they're this stupid to not be able to tell reality and fiction/entertainment apart.

>implying mars boat people don't talk entirely in arara ufufu combinations and memes about embarassing comments

Hyouka gets shit because is boring as fuck and simpy retarded. You must have some mental illness to enjoy this shit, really

Monogatari's dialogue is intentionally unrealistic as a stylistic choice.

Lots of anime that Sup Forums circlejerks endlessly also do this such as Tatami Galaxy or Aria. Monogatari just gets shit because it's SHAFT.

what's wrong with it?

>comparing hyouka to shakespeare
now you've gone full retard

>Hyouka's dialogue
Not even that, it's just Oreki's and Satoshi's way of talking. Literally every other character's lines are way better than the average anime.

>Chitanda "I'm curious!"
that only leaves Mayaka.

>grasping at straws

>Literally every other character's lines are way better than the average anime.
yeah i really enjoyed hearing I'M CURIOUS every time chitanda opened her retarded mouth

or that retard mayaka calling a manga written by a middle schooler a masterpiece

Did Hyouka rape you?

Of course people can't have a database brain. That's an important sentiment because it defines his self perception, it doesn't matter if it's possible.

It's exposition for the viewer terribly implemented justified.
The characters are literally asking each others to say things they already know. The worst kind of tell don't show.

Make me sleep?
Hyoka

yes, so if that's perception is kinda dumb he shouldn't bring it up so much or more people should feel awkward when he says it and question it
it's played up too seriously for what it is, I think

"I'm curious" is not bad dialogue, and there are many more characters in Hyouka.

You're a fucking idiot. Hyouka's dialogue is not theatrical, it's just poor and awkward.

Yes it is, when it's some sort of catchline that defines the character so much people only remember that

>Literally every other character's lines are way better than the average anime
Come on now

that is quite the bold statement youve made there buddy

>People can't have a 100% "database" brain, so at least don't bring that up every episode because you make it seem like something serious when it shouldn't be
No, but a dumb teenager like Satoshi trying to find and define his own identity during a confusing part of growing up might think that his brain is 100% a database, and given that the story is set from his and other dumb teenager's POV, it'd seem like something serious to them. Hyouka is a coming of age story with a target demographic of teenagers, expecting all the characters to think and act like fully mature adults is ridiculous.

I guess ALL of monogatari has bad dialogue then because "Oops I bit my tongue" is said by snail every other episode.

>even comparing Morimi's dialogue to this shit
Hyoukafags should be hanged.

Yeah, it raped my patience. Seriously, why the fuck do you guys like this crap really? I can understand liking some dumb shit that's at least fun, I can understand liking some slow show that's actually well written but fucking Hyouka spent an entire episode with those dumbfucks trying to understand why the teacher was angry.

Hell not even the cases are really dumb but the way they "resolve" them is also retarded

Maybe YOU only remember that, but you certainly aren't representative of everyone else, especially not people who actually like the show and Chitanda's character.

I don't really like Monogatari's overuse of catchlines either. I think these should be used more sparringly and it's actually one of the reasons I tend to buy official translations that tend to reduce the number of these by localizing and replace them with more natural stuff.

It's only a part of it, though, what matters more is what's said other than the catchlines.

As someone said Monogatari's dialogue is intentionally unrealistic, meta, "anime". The character themselves have absurd characterizations with superhuman intelligence and so forth.
No sense in bringing it up.

snek a shit

How is Yasaburou's constant mentioning his "fool blood" to excuse his behavior any different from Satoshi's constant mentioning of his "database mind" to explain what he can't do? Seriously, stop acting like either is bad dialog.