How hard is a mangaka life?

heard they work usually 14 to 16hrs a day non-stop to be able to publish before deadline and most of them don't even make that much

Other urls found in this thread:

kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/
japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/20/national/social-issues/april-suicide-kansai-electric-manager-also-deemed-karoshi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It seems very stressful, and I work construction 100ft in the air. I just hate the idea of being on a strict deadline to provide something that nobody but I can do, the creative aspect makes it even more stressful. You can work your ass off 18 hours a day, pour your heart and soul into something and it can still flop.

i have recently become friends with a japanese mangaka (hes fairly new though) and hes literally working 24/7. he said hes doing like 4 different works at once. we cant even play vidya because hes so busy trying to make it to the deadlines and its been like that for almost a month now

japs should work less harder
they make me feel like i'm not giving my best

>they make me feel like i'm not giving my best
You most likely aren't

>they make me feel like i'm not giving my best
Don't worry, they aren't either

Work your ass off until you get big enough so that even if you make like 1 chapter a year that looks like shit on a page people will still suck your dick

When you give your best everybody just dumps their work onto you. The way we do it in America is to do as little as possible and be likable enough that people let you get away with it.

If I want to work hard at something I pick up a hobby or go to the gym. Work is for money.

I think Jump actually forces Oda to take breaks so he doesn't accidentally kill himself from overworking

>3 hours free time a week

Are all mangakas literally autistic or do they just hate having a normal good life?
No amount of money is worth this shit

>Are all mangakas literally autistic or do they just hate having a normal good life?
user, for a Japanese worker,
this is a normal life
kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/
its pretty much why guys just crash out and become hikkis.

The key to lasting as a mangaka is to only have one arm, then you can get away with doing less work and live a long, happy life.

>Your company loves you and wants you to be happy, though, so they’ll suggest two days for your honeymoon, two if a parent passes away, and one if your wife passes away.

This sort of thing is somewhat misleading. He's "writing" 19 hours a day because as an adult Jap male he needs to put out the image that he never ever stops working.
But all it means is he spends 19 hours a day at his desk. How much of that is really needed to be productive is anybody's guess. May not even be 8 hours.

It's not about the money, user. It's the fame.

>Your company loves you and wants you to be happy, though, so they’ll suggest two days for your honeymoon, two if a parent passes away, and one if your wife passes away.

The company is mother, the company is father...

Does Japan really have no dentists?

Yes, but they don't give a shit about straightening their teeth.

Japanese dentists are probably like blacksmiths. Imagine getting your teeth folded 1000 times.

I work and earn as much and I'm not dying, thank you.

This was really interesting to read, thanks for posting it

This, spending 19 hours a day at his desk doesn't mean that he's working all that time. I know they browse the net, take breaks, and slow down to the point you can't even call that working anymore, quite often. Where I was working, the last 2 hours of over time were just 'being sitting at your desk because you have to leave with all the others section members'. Total waste of time and electricity.

underrated post

They are the worst. They get nearly nothing for one session so they'll have you come 6+ times for a common treatment you'd do in one day in France for example. That's why japanese people won't rely on them as long as it doesn't hurt like hell.

they make the majority of their money from tankobon releases. if they make it, it's the easy life from then on. look at togashi, after the success of yyh he can just fuck around and only work when he feels like it.

I think it's a give and take tho
>janpu
weekly deadline, shitty life, fucking asshole editor that would force you to ruin yo masterpiece in favor of better sales, but you're gonna be fucking rich (Oda has net worth of nearly 300 million bucks from wanpisu and even Toriyama about 100 million bucks even tho he didn't do anything noteworthy past dr slump and dbz)

>monthly release magazine (young animal, newtype,etc)
monthly deadline, less shitty life, editor is still an asshole (but you meet him less so there's that), but since they're monthly magazine that caters more specific demographic, you won't gonna make as much money as an above average janpu mangaka

Togashi's got the right

long hours doesn't mean highly productive
I work 9 hours a day, but I could do most of my job in 3-4 hours
the rest is spent on the toilet, browsing on my phone, and dealing with pointless bureaucracy to make sure I work 9 hours

Mom, I don't want to be a mangaka anymore

I don't think it's even possible to genuinely work 13+ hours consecutively every day and not just die after a good number of months to a year. People have flat out did from playing videogames for too long in consecutive days and sleeping too few hours.

こういう「俺日本のことなら何でも知ってる」馬鹿外人がデマを広めていくんだろうな。

じゃあ、これもバカ外人が広めているデマなんだね?
japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/20/national/social-issues/april-suicide-kansai-electric-manager-also-deemed-karoshi/

いつもの事だよ。日本人は一日12時間働いていると信じて止まない馬鹿外人はSup Forumsに山ほどいるぞ