20 Years later, is Kenshin still GOAT Tier protagonist and Manga? I'm inclined to say yes

20 Years later, is Kenshin still GOAT Tier protagonist and Manga? I'm inclined to say yes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gURiHVTJX4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>you just realize that Kenshin is the embodiment of the modernist values of the meiji era
you also realize that Shishio is the representative of the imperialist values of that area

Yea the manga is still one of the greatest ever

literally who
Gon is miles better.

I always thought that was obvious

I prefer Buso Renkin to kenshin

and Saitou represents the old shogunate values.

>Watsuki makes thousands of Kenshin spin-offs
>doesn't continue BR

why is this allowed?

Because no one read it, which is a shame, because it's a great concept.

Gon is awesome, but come on, Kenshin is nearly an archetype creator in the Shonen genre

I thought the guy axed it because he wanted to focus on Kenshin
now that Kenshin is finished there's nothing stopping him

>Gon is miles better.
bait

Nah, Watsuki wanted to do that Embalming Manga about Frankensteins, and then got roped into doing Kenshin stuff again and again to promote the movies.

I don't even KNOW what happened to Embalming, and I have all of Ruroken, Buso Renkin, AND Gun Blaze West

Embalming got cancelled. Even bringing John Doe from the one shot into it couldn't save it. The whole series reeked of editor meddling and it was drastically different from the one shot. It was also really boring.

That's unfortunate, I really enjoyed the one shots from Buso Renkin.

>archetype creator
That's Goku

Goku created the Shonen action stereotype of the good natured purehearted space cadet

Kenshin was the archetype of the kind person with a tortured past that makes him a total badass from time to time. Vash the Stampede would fall into this archetype

Yoh from Shaman King is better

yes

>Kenshin was the archetype of the kind person with a tortured past that makes him a total badass from time to time.
Kenshin didn't invent that trope
Black Jack is similar

Enjoy it while you can. The cheesy live-action movies were tolerable but it's about to be ruined by a forced sequel.

Kenshin is a better father though

I'm at about 30 episodes in and Saito is the only lucid man so far, Kenshin and the gang's scooby doo bullshit was really getting old and I'm glad it's picking up a bit
is kenshin going to evolve from his autistic modernist retardation or should I just ignore him and watch for Saito and Shishio?

true, I guess I should have been more specific in that I'd argue Kenshin is what popularized the archetype within the shonen genre, which I would argue Black Jack doesn't belong to. Characters like Train from Black Cat, Vash, Kakashi, Quatre from Gundam Wing, Kyoraku, Urahara, Ukitake, etc. All clearly take inspiration of some sort from the archetype.

Well, your complaint gets addressed in the major arc right after the Kyoto arc, but it never got adapted by the anime, so after the kyoto stuff read the manga to get that specific story.

Who does Aoshi represent?

>not Light Yagami

>didn't like fighting

He was a faggot

Edgelords.

Does that make Kenshin a rogue anarchist liberal and Shishio a statist then?

Embalming was good; but it lacked Watsuki's creativity and art progression freedom. It could have been better.

you really need to read a fucking book
at least watch this so you have some background, it's fairly interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=gURiHVTJX4A

News about the upcoming new manga never ;__;

I always found that OVA that has him fighting for Japan in the First Sino-Soviet War disturbing. The Japs basically enslaved the Koreans and Taiwan as a result of that

First part of Kenshin is unbearable.

But ho boy, does the anime get better when the Kyoto arc starts

Buso had a good antagonist, a good waifu and a glorious homo.

Drop it after Kyoto arc. It's just horrible fillers after that.

>2003
>Be edgy 14 year old
>Unironically think Shishio's social values were good

wewlad

first Sino-Japanese War

dunno what the deal with that Freudian slip was for me

Lol that dude was a radical

Yes he is. Because he still is fucking adorable.

> says to read a book
> provides a video instead
> doesn't realize they're both ironically the same thing

Lol

He wasn't wrong. In his time period Europe was colonizing Asia, it really was survival of the fittest.

So are you saying Kenshin was for westernization?

He didn't have a nice death.

Are you deliberately obtuse? Can you not read?
I included the video because it is a very good summary of the era and it's likely no one here can actually read for more than an hour at a time

Drop it already, it will never improve.

How big is the difference between the manga and anime?
I saw the anime recently and it was shit, but I liked the concept.

What's up with all the crazy burned mummies?

well, most simply, everything after Shishio in the Anime is filler. None of it is in the Manga. The Manga instead has something called the Jinchuu arc, which focuses on Kenshin's past as a hitokiri catching up with him, and a systematic effort by people he hurt in the past coming for their revenge. It revolves around how he got the scar on his cheek, the psychological trauma of loss and being an assassin, and what it means to try to live with one's past. It also has some great character work with Yahiko, as he really starts to mature and become more of a "man" as it were