Tatami Galaxy

Why is this a good anime?

I would argue that Hyouka did a better job at showing how to pursue a rose colored life. Tatami Galaxy had variety but it was ankle deep. Hyouka took the idea and tried to make it more subtle.
I will give points to Tatami for using blatant symbolism but it just seems loud and obnoxious compared to the direction of Hyouka.

it's got a killer OP

>did a better job at showing how to pursue a rose colored life
Tatami Galaxy did not, and never tried to do this at all. It was about why focusing on an 'ideal' of life is bad and detracts from the good of reality.

I give Tatami Galaxy points for actually being good and not boring shit.

>Why is this a good anime?
It isn't. It's boring and pretentious shit.

>kyoanuslickers

Tatami Galaxy is fun and entertaining.
Hyouka is a piece of shit.

Nice name calling, user. So where's your rebuttal?
>Boring
This is a non-argument. Just because you couldn't sit through 26 episodes to see character development, doesn't mean it was bad.

You couldn't even understand what the show was about, you aren't entitled of an opinion.

>My uninspired and pretentious high school romcom is good because it's long and boring that must mean it's deep

Please neck yourself, you don't even need to like Tatami Galaxy but it's fucking better than anything Kyoani has ever made.

It's because you chose to not engage with the show that you claim the writing is bad and can't even bring to mind all the visual storytelling that goes on at every frame. Hyouka is a production that undercuts a dialectic between the theatrical and mundane. The main thematic motif of the show is an Evangelion-esque study of relationships and empathy depicting subjective experience above all else, perhaps the reason for the Bach music parallel. It uses abstract Shinbo-esque colors, paper cutouts, experimental angle shots, spatial layout designs, meticulous character acting and long lasting continuity of quirks to establish consistence of performance, framing motion specifically tied to the edge of the frame and BGs to elucidate its fullness of vision of space. One shot of Mayaka's bedroom had more visual storytelling and characterization than the entirety of the Tatami Galaxy series.

>it's a rehash of last night's thread
You niggers really don't get tired of your own shit.

Why would you even make this thread? What's the point in comparing two totally different and unrelated series? Do you really enjoy shitposting that much?

I really liked this because I watched it for the firt time when I started Uni and it hit pretty close to home.

They're both excellent shows.

True, and a great ED as well.
But Hyouka had this.

We need to compare Hyouka with every other critically acclaimed series to shut up the heathens and finally establish its artistic superiority.

No it was garbage

The faggots who watch tatami and act like they understand everything about anime are really fucking annoying but some cheap seasonal kyoani show is not better

Galaxy fags are dumb hipsters and fujoshits.

Tatami Galaxy isn't even above low tier KyoAni such as Phantom World.

The disconnect between Hyouka's grandiose, self important presentation and the inanity of what is depicted is what makes the product feel even more amateurish and juvenile.
If it went for a more low key approach or for a playful tone like Tatami Galaxy it could have been watchable.

Is this pasta?

I was in Takayama the other day and saw a bunch of Hyouka goods.

I didn't buy any of it because Hyouka is a bad anime.

>Tatami Galaxy is bad, because it's deep
>Hyouka is good, because it's simple

What did Kyoanifags mean by this?

Tatami Galaxy is funnier, more smartly written, more visually creative and a lot more satisfying, in my opinion. Even if you don't want to autistically compare it to Hyouka, I'm fairly certain you're just feigning ignorance when you say you don't understand why it's good. It's pretty apparent why people like it.

Wise choice.

>heathens

Great, so now you're a religious group?

This. Slapping a classical score and fancy camera work on a shitty romcom just comes off as a desperate move to try to persuade the audience that they're watching something deep and meaningful.
Unless Kyoani were really convinced they were making High Art, in which case the whole deal it's just pathetic.

Tatami galaxy is not deep.
Hyouka has better implementation of its themes.
That's what I meant

Tatami actually felt like it tried to say something, even if that something was "Don't waste your college years watching anime and doing nothing".

Hyouka is poor waifubait with an edgy mc. It's inherently different because it's aimed at 14 year olds.

Elaborate?

Hyouka had themes? I always thought it was a SoL LARPing as a mystery show.

Man, how did you think that was the message of Tatami Galaxy?

Tatami spells everything out much like Evangelion. It's not deep. It uses blatant symbolism to show what it wants to convey (See cowboy character).

Hyouka uses the visual (technical) medium to convey its themes (Colors, surrealism). See the coffee shop as an example. It doesn't really spell everything out but it tells the viewer make that extra step of trying to follow what its saying. This might be where people find it boring because it's not spelling out what the point of the scene is.

Not sure if I'm supposed to congratulate you on improving your shitposts or be saddened at how long it took you. While you're still essentially just saying "it's bad because it's bad", it's starting to look a bit better. Might want to use different images though, since anyone can see what you're doing by checking the archive.

Exactly. I love how Hyouka lets the visuals do the talking instead of retreating to blatant exposition.

I'm just scratching the surface of what makes Hyouka bad, and I'm not interested in being associated to older posts since I I have no intention of talking back anything.
Calling everything I don't agree with shitpost I would consider much more demeaning for one's reputation.

Are you sayimg that you didn't think that Johnny was funny? I got a good laugh out of him.

Could you repeat that in English?

I don't think that's fair at all. You accuse Tatami Galaxy of "blatant symbolism" when that Hyouka scene is set to the ticking of a heart pendulum. Besides, the cowboy is more of a clever joke than a nuanced attempt to "convey themes." But then, everything you said in the second paragraph also applies to Tatami Galaxy. Or do you seriously believe that it doesn't demonstrate technical mastery? Use of colour and surrealism (not a formal element, by the way) seem far more noteworthy here than in Hyouka, too.

No. I wouldn't be able to match the eloquence displayed here anyway.

He was funny, I'm just saying that it was fairly obvious what he was representative of.
I guess it is unfair in comparing two different works from two different directors. Maybe if Tatami galaxy had 13 more episodes it would have the chance to be more subtle.

I agree, it's a real shame that Tatami couldn't be more subtle with its visual metaphors.

>comparing hyouka and tatami galaxy
Now that's a first.

The day of the rope for Yuasafags in near
Godani shall prevail

Why even instigate this fight, you insecure manchild? Whatever. Yuasafags don't even care about you.

>yuasa doing TTG 2.0 and Ponyo 2.0
I can't defend him anymore.

And Devilman.

>Hyoukafags have started talking shit about Evangelion's visual storytelling
Now I've seen everything.

What is there to defend? They look amazing, Devilman as well.

>evafags think this is good

I agree with you it's good storytelling but its not thing deep.

Visit any 3x3 threads like this and you'll see many selections of Tatami galaxy.
Can't say the same for Hyoushit.

As compared to
Look at all that SUBTLE NUANCE

It is because it expresses the power dynamic between the two characters and the object of the relationship with a single shot, with nothing but the visuals needed.
Anno is a master in the art of conveying meaning with frame composition alone.
Neither is Hyouka's. The difference is that Evangelion's shot meshes flawlessly within the storyboard without resulting obvious and overblown like many Hyouka's attempts.

It's a hugbox. If anything doesn't suit their taste they'll say: well it was a nice thread while it lasted

Uh-oh he said the H-word.

Was staying in your room and doing nothing for 4 years not an action looked down upon in Tatami Galaxy? Was that not what the last two episodes were about, or rather the trigger for the last two episodes?

>anything I don't agree with is a copypasta
This is the kinds of people who likes The Tatami Galaxy.

Not really. The Tatami Galaxy had nothing going on it except for the unique artstyle.

The Tatami Galaxy treated you as someone who is mentally inferior with it's blatant symbolism but Hyouka treated you like a normal human being capable of thought. Each character in Hyouka was unique and interesting too, unlike The Tatami Galaxy who only had Master, Ozu, and Akashi since Watashi had the personality of a potato.

I don't know how many layers of irony anyone is on anymore.

Actually saying Hyouka's presentation was overblown or too grandiose means you didn't understand the subjectivity of its visuals.

You should have swapped all the instances of "Hyouka" with "Tatami Galaxy." It would have been funnier.

>the subjectivity of its visuals
You fucking what.
>your opinion means you didn't understand that the quality of the visuals were up to opinion
Are kyocksuckers this desperate to defend every little thing their generic large studio does?

No, this is either one or one group of insufferable Hyoukafags who are absolutely set on convincing the world that Hyouka is the best thing since sliced bread. Most Kyoanifags don't even like Hyouka that much.

>Generic and large
>KyoAni
nice bait

No, I'm not surprised anti-Hyouka fags lack reading and viewing comprehension. People who complain the visuals, the music or the mysteries are overblown considering the mundane premise aren't looking at it from the perspective of the characters.

Yes, generic and large. They have one genre they can operate comfortably in.

>but you see the stupid grandiose visuals make sense because the CHARACTERS have emotions!
We know those visuals are representative of those character's emotions. Unfortunately, that doesn't make them not stupid and grandiose.

It's not. It's a visually perfect representation of Oreki's worldview and how it subtly changes via lighting and becomes less romanticized as he connects with others.

I wish that were true.

I unironically agree with this.

I don't have a reaction image condescending enough for this.

If only

The visual presentation being an expression of the character's worldview isn't an excuse when there's no intermediary between the character and the viewer, when the director doesn't distance himself and takes a stance regarding the character setting a specific tone to the narration.
The depiction of the internal world of a stupid person without filters can only result in a stupid product.

>Missing the entire point of Tatami Galaxy
Jesus, did you actually watch the whole thing and concluded that it was about getting the rose coloured uni life?

Hyouka should have ended after the investigation of Sekitani Jun, i wanted to neck myself halfway through festival arc

Actually that's just plain false

Just gonna say that I like how both shows tackle the subject of having a 'rose colored life' and the different approaches they took at conveying their messages. That doesn't mean because one does something "better" than the other in one aspect doesn't mean that it discredits the latter and glorifies the former.

So, how much of a faggot do I look like to you, Sup Forums?

>Want the whole cake and eat it too
The worst kind. Would be a different story if Hyouka was something more than Otaku pandering garbage. But just have a look at the ED song.

You sure proved me wrong.

I admit it, I've seen Hyouka years ago so maybe I don't remember, but can any one post ANY scene FULL of symbolism, nuance that subtlety captures the overarching theme of the show? I just don't remember any.
While I have seen TG equally long ago and I remember a few.

>Just because something is boring and uninteresting to me doesn't mean I can dislike it
Did you even think this through, user?

Someone already posted the hair scene ITT

You've yet to prove yourself right

The hair scene is cool, but I wouldn't call it nuanced or subtle in any way.

I admit it's mightily symbolic, but how it's subtle and nuanced, which is claimed to be key superiority of Hyouka versus TG? In my opinion it's as blatant as the most blatant symbolism in TG.

I think you don't understand it, which is quite funny, considering how ridiculously heavy-handed Yojohan is.

Not to mention that it has absolutely no relation to Hyouka, the very set up is extremely different.

It is an extremely well compoased shot, because it conveys Shinji's perspective in both the literal and the metaphorical sense of the word.

>The difference is that Evangelion's shot meshes flawlessly within the storyboard without resulting obvious and overblown like many Hyouka's attempts.
That's just the difference between Hyouka's surrealism in visuals and Evangelion's more grounded symbolism. It doesn't mean either is bad, it just means it's different. Hyouka, instead of choosing to use symbolism through ordinary life, chooses a more imaginative option, not for the sake of being more obvious but for the sake of being more fantastical. Some shows use ordinary life objects as symbols like Hibike, and some shows use shot compisition for it. Just different approaches. Insisting that one of these is the objectively better one is arguing all visual media should be as homogeneous as possible.

It's not subtle, though is it?
Which is what is supposedly one of the big qualities of Hyouka.
You know, subtlety.

>romance
>drama
>comedy
>SoL
>sports
?????

You need to rewatch it asap. It's one of the shows I rewatch almost yearly. Every time it's better.

>mfw watching hyouka

I am the guy yoy replied to, but that was my first post in the argument. I'm not arguing tat Hyouka's symbolism is superior by being more subtle. I do think subtlety is one of Hyouka's strengths but not necessarily in symbolism but in character interaction and development, especially Oreki's.

6/9

The problem with Hyouka is that it tries to do both and the result feels inconsistent and unsophisticated. One minute it's grounded in reality and uses mundane objects as symbols, the next it's Bakemonogatari. The unwillingness to commit to either makes the most abstract attempts stick out like a sore thumbs, like an attempt to glamorize otherwise dull material.

I think that's grasping at straws. There's nothing bad with having both. I assure you that every show that uses surreal visuals also has some degree of mundane object symbolism. Besides, Hyouka's isn't that inconsistent: it uses surreal symbolism when conveying Oreki's infatuation for Chitanda (or rather, steps on his path to a rose life) and when explaining scenarios for mysteries. Pretty much any other metaphor for character traits are mundane objects (tarot cards, Tomoe's hidden face, Satoshi/database, etc.

Oops
)

>how to pursue a rose colored life

Can't tell if this is meant to be bait or if you just really didn't understand the show. Either way, dumb post.