Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Just how overrated is this exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KRtYuG6MgX8
youtube.com/watch?v=GwTn5CKubN8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Between "very" and "extremely".

Fuck Julian. It would've been very good if it wasn't for him. Dammit, if only Kircheis were here.

>It's another LOGH is overrated thread

Just watch the anime yourself and form your own opinion you mindless drone

Pretty good for an anime. Villains have the tendency to behave like juvenile sub-100 IQ kids to prop up the protagonists, like most anime, because an author cannot invent a character more complex than himself.

How do you create a character which is more intelligent than yourself when you yourself set the limits of the world?

unironically one of the best things ever made between anime/film/television.

Along with?

You wouldn't know

Logh is only truly good when it's an empire vs Republic arc. The reuental rebellion was one of the most egregious asspulls I've ever seen.

I know what I am but what are you?

if you don't like it you must be a pleb, i'm still trying to find anything that even compares to logh in terms of story and characters.

Decently, partly because it's aged super bad since it came out before technology sped up and they use floppy disks in the future, but also because you can see how things will go miles away.
The politics and takeaways are good but there's a few logic gaps (3D spacefights always in 2D) and there's a few ruts/repetition (lets take Iserlohn again)
not the best thing ever but worth the time

I really like it, but I think it's overrated in that you will get the most out of it if you have a fondness for dry politics/history stuff and don't mind the space battles being rather shallow

and just because it must be said in each LOGH thread, Oberstein did nothing wrong

>Poorly animated adaptation of a pew pew spaceship genre fiction made mostly from stolen ideas of western writers and teenager-tier politic
And the sad part is that it is indeed one of the best anime around.

The authors introduced and promptly forgot the one creative sci-fi solution (warping giant space stations into battle) in the entire show.

Also, the Earth subplot had no point yet it kills everybody cool in time. Such bullshit.

Depends on who you're talking to, it's hard to really say.

There are a lot of intellectually insecure faggots who liked it and feel the need to shill it because it makes them feel they're demonstrating how smart their anime palette is, and there's a lot of intellectually insecure faggots who DIDN'T like and feel the need to tear it down because they're afraid that not liking it makes them stupid, so they need it to be stupid so that it's okay not to like it.

Have you ever played chess with someone insecure as fuck? The kind of guy that will smugly tell you that he can show you some tricks when he wins, and will start stammering about how he was going easy on you when he loses?

It's that kind of person that is very loud with their opinions about this show, whether they like it or hate it.

Basically, it's hard to really say whether it's overrated or not. You'll just have to watch it.

At the very least, I can say that the creators were DEFINITELY trying to make it a high-brow classic, and it really shows.

Giant space stations take decades to build. Making them a regular part of battles is not a feasible plan.

am i the only one that really likes julian?

More overrated than Monster. Less overrated than ur mom.

I like him, but his romance felt like a typical high school anime romance.

I watched like 20 episodes, got bored almost to death, where's your god now?

a marine came home from ending monarchism in the Galaxy and went to to his favorite bar. he saw a moe azn commodore and tried to buy him a drink. "no thanks i'm straight" the azn qt said. the marine ripped off his shirt "are you still straight?" "not anymore but i have a wife" he replied. The marine pulled out his ax. "u think the friend zone scares me? i just got back from a war zone." Yang sent his wife a text message not to wait up and started kissing the marine and his ax. all the other patriots in the bar got up and started clapping and didn't stop until the marine and the qt3.14 azn commodore were OTP. repost if you believe love can blossom anywhere, even on a battlefield!!!

i didn't see it as a romance, i felt good for julian because all his hard work finally paid off and could finaly have peace and a cutie to spend time with. i saw the girl more of a reward than a person (yes that is sexist af but the whole anime is and it's beautiful)

Disgustingly so.

When people treat it like it's the 2nd coming of Jesus within the confines of chinese cartoonery, you know you have a problem.

The show has it's flaws. Numerous, I should say.

>The beginning of actual fighting in the civil war arc
Hell, i loved that part, but if you don't like it then that just cant be helped.
Cant expect everyone to like everything.
Also, nice quads.

Congratulations, you managed to form your own opinion. Good job.
It's the wrong opinion, but whatever.

>they use floppy disks in the future

also MS-DOS

>am i the only one that really likes julian?

The answer to "Am I the only one?" is always no.

Except for now. Nobody really likes Julian.

That's what makes it timeless

News about the IG remake fucking when.

>Zu jeder Zeit, an jedem Ort, bleibt das Tun der Menschen das gleiche.
>(In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same)

A democratic republican lawyer professor and FPA veteran was teaching a Free Planets Alliance class on Yang Wen-Li, known rebel.

“Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Yang and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Reinhard von Müsel!”

At this moment, a visiting brave, patriotic, pro-monarchy Imperial Armed Forces admiral who had recaptured Iserlohn Fortress 15 times and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the Galactic Empire stood up and held up a bust of Arle Heinessen.

“What is the greatest known form of government?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Phezzanily and smugly replied “A republican democracy, as created by the Heinessen in your hands.”

“Wrong" said the admiral, as he crushed the bust into dust. "It’s been 500 years since Rudolf von Goldenbaum founded our Galactic Empire. If your system was worthwhile, as you say, then we wouldn't have defeated you so effortlessly in the Battle of Shiva.”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his frag and copy of the Riberty Berr. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal El Facil tears.

The students applauded and all registered Imperial Reconciliation that day and accepted baby Alexander as their lord and sovereign. An dog named “Paul von Oberstein” leaped into the admiral's arms, ate some chicken and did literally nothing wrong. The Imperial Pledge was read several times, and the Spirit of Siegfried himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the galaxy.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died in a Terraist attack and was tossed into Hel for all eternity while the legendary galactic heroes look down from Valhalla.

SIEG KAISER REINHARDO, HOFF KAISERIN HILDEGARDO

10/10

Nice quads, but you have the attention span of a gnat.

Top kek

I'm a Yang fan, but holy shit was the FPA squad boring compared to the cast on the Imperial side

like there's the fat guy who does nothing except block a door for Yang with his giant body

Bucock doesn't get enough love

He had a bit more shit to do in the gaiden series.
He was with Yang in exactly one location, played some chess with him, talked and then fought against a plot to get themselves killed.

After finally finishing it a month or so ago, I can honestly say it lived up the hype. For me, anyway.

The battle between him and the empire was one of my favorites of the series.

is the Gaiden series good?

Yes

It's prequel to the main series.
We get stuff like this in them...
>Reinhards first front line deployment and ice cold first kills
>Reinhard mutinying against an officer who wants to scuttle the ship they are on after it gets lost behind battle lines
>Kircheis getting mixed up in a crime mystery also pic related happens in this story arc
>Reinhard and Kircheis solve a murder case in imperial academy
>Reinhard commands a small fleet against alliance in 6th battle of iserlohn
>Reinhard commands a small fleet in the battle of Van Fleet star zone, Schencopp is brought in and melee combat is had on a desolate planet
>The 6th battleof Iserlohn with Reinhard commanding a small fleet
>Third battle of Tiamat with Reinhard kicking alliance ass again, also answers to the question of why aren't the ships moving more in order to dodge shots, Reinhard gets Brunhilde at the end of this episode

And then the second gaiden which is concentrated on Yang
>Yang telling his dad he wants to becomea historian, his dad dies and he inherits shit and farts so he joins the military school
>El Facil
>Yang is popular and he hates it
>Studies history about a dead admiral called Bruce Ashbey, space battles with older imperial and alliance ships is had in some old guys memories
>Yang gets sent to prison colony to babysit POWs
>Gets tangled in some shit and almost gets killed
>Murai arrives and investigates the shit out of the thing
>Yang returns to Heinessen, comes to conclusions about some shit he was investigating and that's it for this series

Oh yeah and Reinhard fights in a 18th century duel during his gaiden series.
And as i remember even more, he has to infiltrate alliance territory with a lone cruiser and capture a ship with a fleeing noble on board who is trying to hand over the directional zephyr particle generator to the alliance.

Not very, I think the real problem with it being rated so highly is the fact that LotGH is catered to a specific audience. Not everyone enjoys a good old fashioned grandiose Space Opera like LotGH. As much as I love the show, it's not everyone cup of tea and propping it up as the best anime around gives off the impression that everyone will enjoy watching it. People who go in expecting something other than a good old fashioned space opera are going to be disappointed. People who go in that don't like space opera tend to be even more disappointed.

Pretty much this. Just watch the opening of the show, it gives you a very good idea of what you're in for. If it looks interesting, you'll probably like the show, but if it looks boring, you'll probably hate it.
youtube.com/watch?v=KRtYuG6MgX8

you made my day.

And the first ED, just for additional evidence either direction.
youtube.com/watch?v=GwTn5CKubN8

Beautiful set of quadruplets, senpai

>where's your god now?
shitting on you

He was okay. I just wish he had gotten off his ass and actually made a name for himself at some point instead of just dicking around for 90% of the series. All you needed to do was put him in command of a handful of ships under Yang and have him do a really good job of it. Then all that nonsense about Julian becoming commander would've actually made a modicum of sense.

if they could remake logh and removing the earth cult and making earth normal third force entering the war.

They had him do well as a fighter pilot and in hand-to-hand, but yeah, some sense of him being more adept at strategy would have been nice.

They should remake it with all of Reinhards Admirals being cute girls that fight victorys for his love and affection. Give Yang a harem too. You can't survive in these days without harems.

"no"

It was good, but seriously flawed anime in my opinion.

Incredibly

Very

Slightly overrated.

It's up there with GiTS as one of the driest animes I've ever watched.

It's hard to get emotionally invested when 90% of the dialogue is characters discussing political theory in a monotone voice. Kircheis was also such a Gary Stu and got so little screen time that I didn't give a shit when he died.

If the show had more feeling and emotion in it, it would have been GOAT.

Yes but it's still very good.

>An dog

In what fucking planet is this show and GITS dry?

Eat less sugar.

Every character in GiTS has the personality of a sheet of cardboard.

LOGH is less guilty of this, but all the characters who aren't Reinhard or Yang are really underdeveloped.

Maybe a bit, but I still love it.

Reinhard is gay as fuck, so make his a harem of men. That way you attract fujoshitters too.

God damn it user.

it's ok, many people get bored when they listen to classical music and like the top 100, there is nothing wrong with it.

Seriously though, what did he mean by this?

>yang became a commander by studying historians
>julian became a commander by studying yang, a historian

Oh, it shows, Julian, it shows.

Mein Kaiser was into some freaky shit.

Watch Gaiden right this instant, you fucking imperialist

Thanks for reminding me. Still sad.

I'm glad he's dead.

It's my favorite anime. It's very overrated. People talk it up to a standard that nothing could really live up to.

I love this show and even i think it gets pretty dry at times.
Also, after reading first three books, i can say that so far the anime has been better than the original book.
Well the Kastrop rebellion was a bit more silly than in the book, so maybe they should have kept that one same as in the book.

He is a piece of shit. So yes.

Good start, solid middle part, horribad last third.

7/10 at best, but it's clearly not a masterpiece.

getting sloppy drunk reeeealy helps.

And some prefer to listen to classical music outside badly draw slide shows.

It's a little slow to start, but after you get attached to the characters it's quite good.

Good show, but it's overrated especially here on Sup Forums. One gripe I had with it is the average IQ of characters is around 50.

>stolen ideas from western writers
such as?

sounds like an average ken burns documentary
which, by the way, you're a pleb if you don't like.

What the fuck did you just fucking post about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Space Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Iserlohn and Terranist Cult, and I have over 3000 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top battle ax fighter in the entire Alliance armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this Galaxy, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with posting that shit about me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across theFree Planets and the Galactic Reichand your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Free Planet Aliance Space Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of your planet, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” fanfic was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking fingers. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

watched 37 episodes and it was good but not that great . but i dropped it because it felt kinda boring between episodes 30-37

More like Legend of the Gay Heroes

>a show is overrated because we compare it to all the shows that came out 30 years after it's release
>not judging the show strictly based on the time period it came out and how it compared to other anime at the time

>there are people on Earth RIGHT NOW who think that Oberstein was wrong
This is why our world should be ended

Beautiful

Damn, i know i should quit memes, but they are just too good.

Boom

>le LOGH is overrated
If anything, it's underrated.

very, it's a meme anime taylor made for reddit

this is useful to ground someone's rating system with a realistic understanding of what an average show is but I dont see why we shouldnt compare shows from different 'time periods' or what sort of time period you're suggesting

>logh
>underrated
pick one

I'd like to hear more about that.

It's really good up until the republic surrenders at which point it starts to drag a lot.

Thanks for making it clear that you're too stupid to have a decent opinion, by misspelling tailor-made.