What was the main theme and message of Kill la Kill?

What was the main theme and message of Kill la Kill?

You are what you wear if you dress like shit you're probably shit.

Women can be sexy and kick ass

Ryuko was built for breeding.

You should dress to kill

you shouldnt let your constant sexual objectification stop you from being a badass

ie: dont challenge the systems of oppression that hold you and your sisters down, because you can be a cool action hero AND a sex object

klk is one of my favorite shows but man fuck that bit specifically

clothes are evil
we should all just be naked

something something individuality juxtaposed by structure and the duality of freedom and contraint

Don't lose your way.

Sometimes the best course of action is to embrace/try to understand the things you don't like.
Ryuko went from being embarrassed that Senketsu showed her body to fully utilizing his power by being proud of it.
Ryuko most "lost her way" when she went into a fit about Nui killing her dad. The show suggests it's better to approach your enemies in a controlled manner than to outright hate them.
Ragyo and the life fiber conspiracy dominated the second half of the show, and yet Ryuko had to continue using life fibers to defeat her. Eventually she even used Ragyo's clothing against her.

Gainax & friends are primarily interested in animating "cool looking shit" because that's what sells (hence why you're even making this post).

Those people aren't writers and have no interest in anything philosophical or deep. I wouldn't be surprised if their character designs came first and then someone strung them all together in a scotch-taped storyline which "mostly fits". So what's the main theme and message of Kill La Kill? Well. If you've watched it, you would know that it's: FUCKING, WHATEVER.

The same is true for Panty & Stocking and Gurren Lagann. Basically the message/theme is always the thinnest possible excuse they can get by with in order to illustrate visually appealing shit. And there's really nothing wrong with that since I'm a big fan of visually appealing shit.

Lots of sex is a good thing

I can hear the rumblings of 10,000 Gurren Laplebs furiously bashing their keyboards in anger over this post...

Don't let society dictate who you are.
Make your own decisions without being influenced by others.
You can't change society if you refuse to be part of it.
The world is beautiful because everyone is different.

Highschool girls have the best bodies, bar none.

DON'T LOSE YOUR WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Any other interpretation of KLK's message in this thread is literally wrong.

Society will always dictate who you are
Your decisions will always be influenced by others
You will always be part of society
Everyone is literally the same

Trigger likes butts

Nonon made me get weird feelings in weird places.

Why does Japan have to keep trying to turn me pedo?

I'm horrified really, if you want my honest opinion.

*tips fedora*

You could pull ideas out from your ass at the last minute and people will think it was well planned out.

Funny because you came off as a tedora tipper in my mind

This was what I was thinking while watching it.

The life fibers reminded me of the aliens from Invasion of the Body Snatchers; an alien lifeform that attaches to a host in a kind of symbiotic relationship, but also ultimately taking it over and destroying it to reproduce. Humans are the host organisms and they struggle to fight back against this alien manifestation of super-nature; it felt like a metaphor for fighting for one's individuality.

Also, bewbs amirite?!

Liking loli is fine, just remind yourself that actual children have creepy pygmy faces.

>pedo
She's 18 like Satsuki, it's just that she's an ugly flat midget.

Its just how their way of things work out there. Rapey doujins, crying moans, and generally beta males

Why do you think so many turbo weebs are actually weirdos? They aren't even aware of it you know.

The entire theme is summarized by the whole "we're incomprehensible" "that makes no sense" "that's who WE are" thing.

I just typed down the messages that are explicitly stated in the show, without giving my opinion.
Your nihilistic rant, on the other hand, reeked of 15 year old fedora tipper.

>fanservice as a plot device

If you think there's a theme you're doing it wrong.

Whoa settle down there big guy. All that bitter projection isn't healthy. Just trying to help you gain a bit of self awareness

I think the most immediate reference for Senketsu and Junketsu were the symbiontes from Spider Man, but that works too.

It's just "believe in yourself", but from a different angle. Instead of "believe in what you can become/achieve" it's more "believe in what you are already". Ultimately they're supposed to intersect.

You can only be shamed by others if you allow yourself to be.

dont lose your way

Anime is fun and you should enjoy it without worrying about mean people in the internet.

Don't lose your way.

...said the user who typed the needlessly pessimistic post in direct response to an earnest and forthright one.

that if you have nice titties, you should show them off more

this is actually it

Thats a pretty backwards way of thinking. I'm just humbly trying to get you to accept the truth.

Holy shit those breeding hips

That Ryuko is built for sex

What truth? The the world isn't worth living in? That your bleak form of nihilism is the only way to live? Because I refute that. I refute it will all my heart. This world is worth it. It is beautiful. You just have to but in the effort to find that beauty. Your way is the easy way. The path of least resistance. Happiness may be on the mountaintop, or deep within the gorge, but the climb to it is worth it.

Anime is doomed and can't be saved

Wearable technology is cool, but maybe we shouldn't go too far.

t. 20 something expert on life
Don't blow things out of proportion. Settle down.

And you're so much more knowledgeable? Besides, your didn't answer my question, what "truth" are you trying to impart?

You gotta look harder. I'm not going to just give you the answer. Have you tried looking at my posts positively?

boobs?

>dont challenge the systems of oppression

You mean the one she flew into space to blow up?

>that hold you and your sisters down

Her actual sister was part of the oppression for half the show.

Dumb tumblrposter.

Your power corresponds directly to your capability to face shame.

What positivity is there to be found in "Society will always dictate who you are
Your decisions will always be influenced by others
You will always be part of society
Everyone is literally the same"
You're trying to tell people to be happy that they have no agency, to be glad for their mental enslavement. In direct response to a post about how we do have agency, that we can choose who we are, that we have, and always will have, freewill.

I mean. I'm just going to jerk off to Satsuki then, alright?

I'm not trying to tell anyone to be anything. Didn't you say the world is beautiful? Try looking harder at the beauty in the sickest knowledge I just dropped on you

You don't really need to have a high-concept message to create a work of art.

Nice user

What was the main theme and message of Panty and Stocking?

So my faps were legal, thank god

That's not knowledge. It's the lies we tell ourselves so that we stop trying. It's what someone says when they've given up and can't face up to their failure.

But you can start again. You can try to try again. Because as long as you are still alive, you can learn how to live again.

>Satsuki instead of Ryuko
Patrician taste.

Clothes are evil.

Pretty sure the main message was that Lesbianism = evil (see Satsuki's mother lesbian raping her).

But it went completely over the Western fanbases head.

Its not ok to be a slutty angel?

>anime, having any symbolic depth, let alone a theme

Don't trust your sister.

You aren't looking hard enough user

sex sells

show an girl going through puberty

Humor is bound to the culture in which it is conceived.

>autist, not knowing how, commas work

>those two anons going back and forth
I just wanted to fap, not read this high level rhetoric.

Why don't you try looking for happiness, not sorrow. For freedom, not slavery. Your double0think only works if your would-be victims allow it to, and I have long since wised up to the lies that loneliness tells.

>high level

Its just reciting random quotes from philosophers and movies

If you can't recognize it within my posts then you are lost and confused user. Do you really need me to hold your hand on this?

Incest is ok if they're cute

ANARCHY FUCK YEAH, RULES SUCKS
Honestly despite being fun PSG didn't have a lot to say.

Enlighten me then, as to what you're trying to say. Because your "message" isn't clear at all, and if you want to actually have any sort of discussion with anyone, you need to be clear about what you're saying.

A girl becomes a woman when she stops feeding (menstrual) blood to her clothes. Also when she stops dressing like a turbo whore.

But its clear as day. Are you sure you aren't hazy right now?

kek

Now you're just being evasive for no reason. Either say what you mean or you're not worth talking to.

that satsuki is the best girl

Whoa calm down.

For one, the Student Council members are referred to as the four devas, ie the Four Heavenly Kings in Buddhism, who are said to be protectors of Lord Sakra, living atop "Mount Sumeru" (the center of the Buddhist universe) which you'll find looks similar to the design of the strange mountain that Honnoji Gakuen sits atop. Mount Sumeru is said to be populated with terraces where different levels of Sakra's followers reside, similar to the star system in the series.
Honnoji Academy is a reference to the Honnoji Incident in 1582, where Nobunaga was betrayed by his general Akechi Mitsuhide at the Honnoji Buddhist temple in Kyoto. This is alluded to when student council member Sanageyama directly quotes Mitsuhide's famous "The enemy awaits at Honnō-ji!" speech. Ragyo = Nobunaga, the daimyo trying to unify Japan (Ragyo trying to take over the world), and Satsuki = Akechi Mitsuhide, the general that betrays her at Honnoji (the same place that Satsuki betrays her mother in the series). This also fits with the idea of the temple sitting atop Mount Sumeru, since Buddhist temples are often architecturally designed to invoke the imagery of Sumeru (you will also find images online that show Honnoji Gakuen, when seen from afar, is designed to look like a Kamui uniform with it's arms in a round circle, relating to the Buddhist meditation position where practitioners bring their hands in a circle in front of them and imagine themselves as Mount Sumeru).

Something something have the strength and freedom to live your life the way you want or whatever
Basically, the exact same message as 90% of anime

Childhood is thinking Ryuko was waifu material

Adulthood is realizing Satsuki was the one true waifu all along

The light seen emanating from Satsuki and Ragyo is a reference to the "rainbow body" phenomen, a state of spiritual realization in Tibetan Buddhism, wherein light is said to emanate from practitioners as they reach higher levels of understanding. In the most advanced state, where one is said to have attained complete knowledge, rainbow colors are seen. Not only does light emanate from Satsuki and Ragyo, but Ragyo also exhibits rainbow colors, and at one point even specifically refers to herself as "one who knows all the truths in this world." You'll also note that during the bath scene with Satsuki (which Ragyo refers to as a "ritual") at the climax of the scene Satsuki's chakra (specific energy points on the body) are very clearly shown as being opened.
The story of Kill la Kill may be a reference to an ancient Tibetan apocalypse mythology, that predicts a war in which foreign invaders will be defeated by a king from a distant land that joins forces with the gods of Mount Sumeru to bring peace and understanding to the world (something to that effect), which is possibly a reference to Ryuko joining forces with Satsuki to defeat the aliens. More generally speaking though, the story I think focuses on Ryuko's personal "path to enlightenment" (i.e., the Way she's not supposed to Lose), and how she's helped by her Kamui (god clothing) to come to an ultimate understanding (or Nirvana) about herself and the nature of her existence, and to be at peace with it. This is most notable in that Ryuko defeats Ragyo at the end of the series, not by destroying her, but by "Absorbing" her with Senketsu. "Absorption" is a state known as jhana (meditative absorption) and is the last of the eightfold paths in Buddhist practice needed for attaining Nirvana.

There are many other possible references, including what looks like a lotus blossom (very important Buddhist symbol) during the Absorption, Senketsu possibly being a Boddhisatva, and a visual nod to Nirvana (snuffing of the flame) in Senketsu's death scene.
The story revolves around Ryuko, who's deeply upset about her father's death, and later about the realization of her true nature/existence as being both clothing and human. But at the end of the series she accepts the nature of her existence and doesn't let it affect her anymore. As a thematic central message, that sort of character progression seems to resonate with Buddhist belief, that the world is filled with suffering born from a lack of understanding/acceptance of the nature of reality and one's self (dukkha), and that peace is achieved from coming to understand and accept that nature, and not allow it to affect one's self (nirvana). While Ryuko at the beginning of the series is confused and angry by the death of her father, at the end of the series she can think back to Senketsu (who also had passed away) and smile knowingly (the fact that her father and Senketsu both share an eyepatch seems to make the parallel all the stronger). Ryuko's "way" was the path to her coming to accept the nature of life and of herself, which is why the Buddhist imagery seems an appropriate a thematic umbrella.

If you want people to listen, don't refuse to explain what you mean, or else they'll just tell you to blow it out your ass.

So you can go blow it out your ass.

Ass n tiddies. People should be naked more often.

Cute, hot, funny and badass. How can other girls even compete?

Be true to yourself.

I thought it was pretty straightforward.

It's another red string of fate anime.

I mean if you refuse to accept the truth then by all means kindly get out of my face.

Someone post the edited version they used in the dub that made it even more erotic.

GURL POWAH

In cup size?

I can never get past the first couple of episodes. The humor is just so forced, and terrible (even for anime.)

What are those two even arguing about?