3x3 thread

Anyone watching anything this season?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mF5yL108yLQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hello friends

6/8
Nah I've been too preoccupied cram studying. I'll watch as much as I can next season to make up for it.

I don't know which is more retarded. A 3x3 thread actually functioning as a seasonal thread or your garbage taste with FLCL, Angel's Egg and Kaiba.

>I don't know which is more retarded
Your post.

4/4
I'm watching like, 9 different shows. Mostly excited about Natsume Yuujinchou, Bahamut and Sakura Quest.
I tend to bleed out my watching list over the season though, so who knows what I'll end up dropping.

2/2

fuck you faggot

Aaw, maybe I hurt your soul of mentioning your favorite shit, right, fanboi?

I'm just wondering. Are the people who post this the same kind of people that think every rich persion is a greedy egotist, every elegant person is gay and every knowledgeable person is pretentious?

>bahamut
The one show I'm actually keeping up with. I'd do the same with Natsume Yuujinchou but I fell behind during the last season.

He told you to fuck off, because this a thread for sharing 3x3s not your complexes.

which parent raped you?

Even my complexes are far more interesting than this shitty circlejerk with the same 20 "fit-in" titles.

Your mother was the one. It was something I cannot forget.

>fit-in
Like the penis of the man who fucked you harder than you fucked this thread?

Nah, I fucked this garbage as hell thread harder, and you know it.

2/3 +FLCL and Casshern Sins
-Eva
2/2 GTO and Ashita No Joe

They might be, if you'll honestly share them and don't just make rash, passive-agressive posts all day.

Also, there have been only three charts posted so far and there are already 30 different titles on them.

Apart from Mob Psycho literally nothing. Is there anything worth picking up?

>Mob Psycho
How many seasons behind are you?

But Professor user recognized my complexities, so they are clearly there. You are just too retarded to notice those.

Are you still in 2016?

I wrote both of those. We know you do have complexes. I mean everyone has to some degree, but it's a matter of how we control their outcomes and how aware of them we are. It's also a matter of what degree.

When I mentioned you writing about them, I meant the reasons for how they arose, now if you have them or not.

You might have irritated or angered some people and increased the post count but you haven't really accomplished anything besides that.

If I'd ever create a 3x3 people in this thread would ogo mental about how normie mecha heavy it is. The fact that the non mecha spots would be filled with cromartie, tekkon kinkreet, mononoke, yamato2199 and probably memeshishi would drive them nuts.

If you don't make a big song and dance about it no one will care

>normie mecha
The only real normie mecha is CG, EVA, and TTGL, and we see that shit all the time in these threads.

++Tatami, Angel's Egg, EoE
+FLCL
+/- Casshern
>Anyone watching anything this season?
Yeah a few shows, I like Re;Creators and both P.A works shows the most.
++Tatami
+Mononoke, Hyouge Mono
+Lain, K-ON!
Overman worth picking up? I like the OP

>Overman worth picking up? I like the OP
Of course. It's really Tomino though. Prepare for a confusing plot. The show itself is just as fun as the OP.

They are people that naturally deduce that if you like shows that only have the common trait of aspiring to be intellectual in some way regardless of their actual content or intellectual value what you appreciated about them was the aspiration to intellectuality rather than their content or intellectual value. That is not a bad thing per se.

Where i can make this shit?

Then that's the wrong deduction on their half. Instead of assuming what people like about shows they should just ask. Basically they are being pretentious themselves, since they think they have knowledge of something which they actually don't.

You know it's a joke, right?

How can you be sure. I've met lots of people in real life who actually get irritated about the fact that people have interest in more arthouse/avant garde art. Sure when they troll they'll present it as a joke and they'll try to defend themselves that way, but when you talk to them more thoroughly you can see they actually are mad.

It's the old "I'll present it as a joke, just in that I actually have to defend my statements".

Alright, I can't speak for everyone, but it's often posted as a joke to rile people up. Basically I'm saying that getting defensive over such a thing is petty.

>They are people that naturally deduce that if you like shows that only have the common trait of aspiring to be intellectual in some way regardless of their actual content or intellectual value what you appreciated about them was the aspiration to intellectuality rather than their content or intellectual value
Or they like shows than actually present intellectual value and content?

Besides, Tatami wouldn't fit in this case. It's a wacky, student romcom with unique visual direction.

Tatami Galaxy is 100% entry-level pretentious weeb anime and it's ignorant to deny that.

Why not? It's not petty to get mad at offensive statements, even if they're jokes and blatantly wrong. People get mad when their moms are called whores even if they're normal women who don't engage in prostitution, cheat on their husbands or whatever.

Obviously I gave an extreme example, but people can also feel strongly about art. There's nothing wrong, petty or infantile about geting mad when people offend your passion and the reasons you engage with it.

We have no choice but to make deductions on the basis of the knowledge that we have.
Would you explain to me why if a group of people like the same handful of shows that share the same characteristic it is a stretch to assume that they like it because of that particular characteristic.
If you can offer a better logical explanation you are welcome.

Is Groundhog Day also pretentious?

>Would you explain to me why if a group of people like the same handful of shows that share the same characteristic it is a stretch to assume that they like it because of that particular characteristic.

because you're deciding that the only characteristic these shows share is faux-intellectualism, or that the only characteristic the people share is that they're pretentious. Or that the only characteristic a given population can possibly share is limited to one. The amount of logical fallacies, statistical ignorance and grasping at straws in your statement is so appalling that it's making me question if you ever finished High School.

Those shows have lots of common characteristics. over half of them have adult characters, most of them have unique art direction, lots of them are surreal, lots of them, lots of them have jigsaw-puzzle plots, a darker atmosphere, atmospheric pacing, surreal elements, most don't have too much verbal, thematic expositon.

Assumptions about other people were great when we were tribes and assuming that the guy from the other tribe wanted to kill you and that was the best assumption to ensue your own survival. It is still good in competetive situations like business, politics or sports where people intentionally don't want to reveal everything about themselves.

It however is not when you're with friends, on a discussion group or any place where you voluntarily engage with people and you can safely just ask people to explain their views and preferences. Most people like to talk about themselves so they'll gladly answer you.

>Or they like shows than actually present intellectual value and content?
That is vastly subjective. Am I supposed to assume that everyone interested in intellectual pursuits has precisely the same standards of what contributes to the intellectual value of the work?

Unique visual direction is an attempt to challenge narrative conventions. That can be seen as an intellectual pursuit of more accurate artistic expression. Of course the key word is "attempt".

No

It's petty to take bait so seriously, end of story.

>Unique visual direction is an attempt to challenge narrative conventions. That can be seen as an intellectual pursuit of more accurate artistic expression. Of course the key word is "attempt".
But Japan is the only country in the world which developed a specific style for the whole medium of animation in the way the states have for comics. If you consider every work that strains from that pretentious you would have to consider every non-japanese animated work pretentious because in the states or europe there is no, one set style and each creator or company is unique in that sense.

No, emotions are not petty. It's petty and edgy to cut yourself off from them.

>That is vastly subjective. Am I supposed to assume that everyone interested in intellectual pursuits has precisely the same standards of what contributes to the intellectual value of the work?
How many shows can you mention that try to have a jigsaw puzzle plot and execute it well? If that's your favorite time of storytelling construction then yes, you'll be limited to 20 or so show, probably even less.

7/7 ++Casshern,EoE,Kaiba
+Utena,Lain,Angel's Egg,Belladonna
2/2 ++Mononoke,Gankutsuou
2/2 +Lain
1/1 +Area 88
4/5 ++Monster,EoE
+Angel's Egg,Paranoia Agent
-Watamote

2/2
1/2
1/2
0/0
2/3
1/2

>because you're deciding that the only characteristic these shows share is faux-intellectualism, or that the only characteristic the people share is that they're pretentious.
I did not say they were faux-intellectual, but that they aspired to intellectual which is a different thing. Nor did I say that their fans were pretentious. If I were to say that they were that would imply that I believed that they have no actual intellectual aspirations which I do not.

Any given group has a single characteristic that defines it. USA citizens have USA citizenship.

If one person liked ten shows that shared common characteristic I would not have enough statistical evidence to suppose that this is not coincidence since the sample is relatively small.
But if a large group of other people liked those same ten shows it would be increasingly hard for me to believe that an identical set of independent circumstances defined those unrelated to each other people with identical tastes. It would be more reasonable to suppose that it was a single circumstance or an interdependent set of circumstaces. It would not be unreasonable to define a group that shared that characteristic.
That of course is just a statistical observation that such a group exists and that it exhibits certain patterns. Not a definite attemp to classify people on such patterns.
Still, it would be unreasonable to pretend that those patterns do not exist.

>It would be more reasonable to suppose that it was a single circumstance or an interdependent set of circumstaces
And that characteristic, or that set, is that they are pretentious weebs, not that the shows might actually be good.

Gotcha.

>over half of them have adult characters, most of them have unique art direction, lots of them are surreal, lots of them, lots of them have jigsaw-puzzle plots, a darker atmosphere, atmospheric pacing, surreal elements, most don't have too much verbal, thematic expositon.
Those, or a combination of those, characteristics would be perceived as "intellectual".
Making assumptions is an integral part of our reasoning. Pure rational reasoning is practically impossible.
Your conviction that I am trying to attack your integrity by making an assumption is also an assumption.

I already responded to this here basically:
Anime is a commercial medium. Even things like Angel's Egg or Utena were made by big studios and had to get pretty big amounts of funding via producers. There just aren't many people willing to fund those kinds of projects so we just don't get that many, especially in tv animation. That's why there's a pretty selective number of those kinds of shows. The "twenty" shows you mention is still a pretty big number considering the medium and its commercial restrictions.

Also, anime just attracts people with certain tastes. Just like people with an interest in giant robots or in cute girls will choose anime over other media so will people with a preference for surreal, jigsaw-puzzle plot shows or unique animated direction, since anime has shows that offer that quality.

I mean look at western tv animation. There you have even less shows that attempted to be something similar (not even mentioning how well they accomplished it). There's Twin Peaks, Carnival and that's it? What about cartoons? There's basically just The Maxx. The fact that anime has those "twenty shows" you mention is still quite a lot.

Pettiness would imply insignificance.
Values are subjective of course.
For some people murder might be insignificant.

Well, if under "intellectual" you're talking about twenty different various qualities then it's not fuckin suprise that you'll find a lot of people that like one or two of those. Especially in a thread that basically garners the attention of people who like those kinds of shows. It's like being suspicious of people being fans of girls with petite bodies, big eyes and small noses in a loli thread. I mean com on! ALL of those people happen to like girls with those exact same three qualities? They must be fuckin lying.

>If you consider every work that strains from that pretentious.
I don't.

>If that's your favorite time of storytelling construction then yes, you'll be limited to 20 or so show, probably even less.
But would it be wrong for me to assume that you likes it because it did possess that quality that you value rather than because it excelled at it?

>And that characteristic, or that set, is that they are pretentious weebs.
You keep using that word.

Haven't watched anything or updated this since 2015. How does it hold up?

I need to update this

>if under "intellectual" you're talking about twenty different various qualities
Yes."Intellectual" is an abstract idea that cannot be defined in concrete terms. If a show exhibits a number of traits that set a pattern that can be described as "intellectual" then it might be stated with some certainty that this show itself is "intellectual".

>Especially in a thread that basically garners the attention of people who like those kinds of shows.
This is my argument.

>They must be fuckin lying.
This is not my argument.

Veep
Silicon Valley
The Leftovers
Fargo
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Samurai Jack

Good season desu. Oh, and there's Tanuki Bowl as well.

Wasn't good back then either

Post yours'

I don't have one

Drat. I was hoping you would have something that I would think is shit, that way I wouldn't be concerned with your opnion that mine is shit, and you wouldn't be concerned with my opinion that yours' is shit, and we could go on peacefully in our separate ways. Now I'll never know if your opinion is valid or not.

rate my shit taste

I included mangos that got anime because I just love the original source too fucking much

Just updated my 3x3

I'm watching a bunch of shows, though I'm really just enjoying Boku No Hero S2 and Seikaisuru Kado, don't think anything else is good.

2/3
Favorite: Evangelion
Least Favorite: Tatami

1/2
Favorite: LotGH
Least Favorite: Tatami

1/3
Favorite: K-ON
Least Favorite: Natsume

1.5/2
Favorite: Gintama
Least Favorite: ---
Still watching Fist of the North Star hence the 0.5, it's very enjoyable so far.

2/5
Least Favorite: Watamote

2/2

3/6
Least Favorite: Bleach

1/1
Favorite: HxH

Started watching all of those, but dropped them all besides Jack. I feel like I can't get into live-action tv anymore. Animation spoiled me too much.

Well, that's a shame. I don't think anything in TV animation right now has as much creative energy in it as Fargo. I absolutely adore that show.

Keikaku doori

I actually am, even thought I haven't watched anime in like a year or 2. So far I started watching LWA, Fukumenkei Noise and Tsuki ga Kirei.
I'm loving LWA so far (I'm on episode 10) it has everything I like about Trigger, such as the energic characters and animations and the visual style with slight western influences, and lacks the shameless ecchi/fanservice.
Fukumenkei Noise seems pretty bad for the moment. A lot of the singing feels out of place and often the intensity of the voice in those moments and the animation don't really seem to complement each other at all and it looks silly. I'm totally addicted to Spiral, nevertheless.
About Tsuki ga Kirei I can't say much since it's so slow. Right now I'm really liking it, the looks remind me of Aoi Hana / Hourou Musuko and I love anime with slow pace.

1.5/3
+Evangelion
~Gintama
-HIgurashi

0/1
-Girls und panzer
What's top center? I used to have that same pic as my desktop background but I never knew it came from a manga/anime.

4/5
+Jellyfish Princess, FLCL, NIchijou, Aoi Hana
-KLK

4/4
+Kaiba, Lain, Nichijou, Space Dandy

3.5/6
+FLCL, Space Dandy, Eureka Seven
~Summer Wars
-KLK, Yu-Gi-Oh

7/7
+Spice & Wolf, NHK, Nodame Cantabile, Tehnolyze, SZS, Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy
I really REALLY need to change one of mine for Nodame Cantabile. Also, I love your choices. I'll need the names for the remaining 2.

I dunno, I just like stuff that's a bit more conceptually eccentric and visually unique. Then I just hope it's well executed, but those are prerequisites.

Fargo rides that perfect line with its tone that only the Coen bros seem to be able to pull off this well. I'm really surprised at how well they're handling it with the show. It's clearly an imitation but it seems so genuine and creative at the same time. They also do some cool shit with their visuals. It's incredibly cheesy most of the time but it works. Like this montage thing they did in season 2 youtube.com/watch?v=mF5yL108yLQ

Noah Hawley also brought his playful visual touch to Legion. Until they remembered they were supposed to be making a superhero show, that is. What a waste.

Stop watching shit anime and watch Uchouten Kazoku instead. You can keep watching LWA.

What are some good anime besides those two this season. I feel like everything good so far this year has been sequels. I want something new and original.

Uchouten must be one of the most overrated shows on this board at the moment. It's by no means ba or average, but the entire premise of just eating or getting eaten destroys all believability for me. Due to the art being so incredibly focused on real world environments it also loses out to plenty of other shows because it's easier to redraw something that exists instead of drawing something that doesn't while making it look coherent. Characters are great, but that season 1 baseline story already put me off incredibly hard.

Pick up Sakura Quest then. Atom the Beginning is good so far too.

Tanuki are prey animals, not human beings.
Why is this so hard for people to understand? Do you expect a gazelle to try to get revenge on the lion that ate its dad?

I found Warp, the protagonist of Kaiba, a very sympathetic character, because after being subjected to 11 straight episodes of the show, I too felt like I'd been poisoned and left with a giant hole melting through my chest.

The pairing of Yuasa and Morimi as director and writer for The Tatami Galaxy was a match made in heaven: neither man knows how to end a line.

Hanasaku Iroha peaked around episode 17, when it offered me the false hope that the staff of the Kissuiso, driven to insanity by each other's ceaseless petty bullshit, had finally decided to off each other.

On my most recent trip to Hokkaido, I stopped in Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Eki and was surprised to find a statue of the protagonist of Hokuto no Ken there, wasting away in a forgotten corner, consigned to oblivion, much like most of the rest of your 3x3.

Some say Watamote's appeal lies in the schadenfreude of watching such a pitiful character's agonizing life, but I suspect that for a greater part of its audience, Watamote plays out as an escapist power fantasy.

I simultaneously admire Texhnolyze's artist courage, and resent it: if Hamasaki had only mustered the courage to make every episode as silent as the first one, I'd never have had to listen to any of the characters' insufferable prattling.

Ghost in the Shell has the artistic merits of a Garfield strip, and the same zombielike persistence. Even a disastrous live-action adaptation can't kill it off.

I would say it holds up poorly, but that would imply any anime in the last three years managed to scrape past the already direly low bar of quality established by your 3x3.

Yes, please. Maybe you should try one of the popular new formats while you're at it? 2x2 seems to be taking off, and I've even seen a 1x1. Or better yet, spare us all and do a 0x0.

Not content with the worst Watanabe show, you even chose the worst episode.

>tfw can't even fill in an entire 3x3

That's why it's good, the culture shock is the most appealing thing to me.

>On my most recent trip to Hokkaido, I stopped in Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Eki and was surprised to find a statue of the protagonist of Hokuto no Ken there, wasting away in a forgotten corner, consigned to oblivion, much like most of the rest of your 3x3.

Too wordy and forced. Didn't even crack a smile, you can do better.

That seems like a pretty silly rationalization. The whole eating dynamic they have going on is like watching a completely foreign culture for me, especially when you consider their behavior and their attitudes towards being consumed. They're taking the element of undesirability (or at least playing it down considerably) out of a pretty horrific thing, which makes it difficult for a regular human audience to make a connection. But if you go with it and take it for granted like they do, all these other connections to the characters reveal themselves to you, until you just naturally leave the eating thing in the background. If you're unable to leave your preconceived notions behind, then you're probably shit out of luck,

The believability vanishes when death is accepted, partially even expected particularly when it can easily be avoided. And please don't give me this pis poor comparison of a normal animal and an animal that can imitate humans and even turn into them. There is a gigantic difference between life stock animals and what they are. This becomes even more off putting when listening to Heitos explanation why it's fine to eat then with him pointing out that he'd prefer getting eaten over rotting away while completely ignoring the fact that he's old already anyway while most of the Friday clubs victims aren't. It also makes no sense from a scholars point of view to compare simple life stock animals without an overly evolved consciousness to what Tanuki represent in that universe. Simply created such an insane disconnect for me that I couldn't enjoy the show anymore. The characters are great overall, the art is splendid, but that bit is completely retarded no matter how one tries to twist it.

Fair, fair. Not my best work, I know.

As soon as I'm up to date with LWA I'll check that out. Thanks for the rec.

There's a lot of text in this thread for once.