Why hasn't there been one longrunning series that didn't eventually turn to shit

Why hasn't there been one longrunning series that didn't eventually turn to shit.

The last time Berserk was good was when Femto merged the worlds, and it's been utter garbage following Boatserk and this loli Harry Potter island ripoff.

Dragonball turned to shit overnight as soon as Future Trunks stepped into the picture.

One Piece became medicority incarnage sometime after the timeskip.

Naruto and Bleach stopped being good after their first arc.

Ippo turned so shit that I like to speculate the ridiculousness of it all is because he's suffering brain damage now.

Vagabond is boring with the farming shit when it's not on constant hiatuses.

Hunter x Hunter had that retarded O MY RUBBER NEN moment, though honestly the series is inconsistent as hell anyway and had severe pacing problems as well as the author not realizing what medium he's writing for half the time.

JoJo started crap but gradually became good overtime, so I guess that's one exception.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji#Completion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiding_Light
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Our_Lives
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Hospital
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_World_Turns
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gee I wonder how that happened when literally everything you watch and read is shonenshit made for literal 12 year olds, retard. Use your brain and stop reddit spacing.

>Why hasn't there been one longrunning series that didn't eventually turn to shit.
There has. Stop focusing exclusively on mainstream shonen and action titles.

But in general it's because with a long-running story you either have the option of maintaining status quo, which means things will at some point go stale, or to mix things up a bit. But every change is inevitably going to alienate part of the fandom. So with a long-running non-static series, the likelihood of you thinking the series turned to shit approaches 100%.

Just to be clear, this mongoloid OP has already made the same idiotic thread in the past.
Never take this kind of EOP seriously.

I love when retards don't have a point, but want to post in a thread anyway just to make an edgy comment.

That's true, but the best series I've read are usually medium length where the thrust of the plot never gets lost and doesn't beat around the bush. I think Lone Wolf and Cub is fantastic, so maybe that counts, but it seems almost impossible for long running series to maintain their greatness if it goes on for decades.

Kill yourself.

I made this thread a year ago, stop being autistc. You're acting like I posted this yesterday.

nah I'm good, especially if it triggers autists like you.

>I made this exact retarded thread a year ago
>every told me I was retarded
>so now I'm copy-pasting the same thing again
Good posts.

No actually there were people agreeing with me, and explaining why that's a thing. And I changed up the OP, and just used the same series as an example. But your autism wouldn't notice that now would it?

No wonder the thread seemed familiar. Jesus Christ, I can actually recognize my own reply to it. I said almost the same thing as I did in this thread. That's embarrassing.

bump

> Why hasn't there been one longrunning series that didn't eventually turn to shit.
Because mangakas rarely plan their stories.
They are not like tv-series writers, who make stories that work with 5-6 seasons.
They just keep on writing until they die.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji#Completion
> (The guy) who made the second translation of the Genji, believed that it was not finished, and that (the author) would not have had a planned story structure with an "ending", and would simply have gone on writing as long as she could.

While I agree, there is a certain art to improv or spontaneity. I think even Miyazaki said he doesn't like planning too far ahead when writing his stories. Dragonball's spontenousness gave it a certain energy which made it exciting at the time, and Toriyama was still skilled enough to neatly segue into the next arc even if there were still holes. He apparently t

apparently lost that skill the cell arc*

>They are not like tv-series writers, who make stories that work with 5-6 seasons.
>implying
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiding_Light
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Our_Lives
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Hospital
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_World_Turns
etc.

>Why hasn't there been one longrunning series that didn't eventually turn to shit.
?
Also, Akira and Nausicaa.
Wait a minute, this is a rec thread.

Akira and Nausicaa aren't that long or anywhere near enough to be in this list. If anything they're short.

So in summation, you are just really dumb.

Okay.

> anywhere near enough to be in this list
Not him, but Nausicaa lasted 12 years. Bleach lasted 15.

>Akira
>8 years
>Nausicaa
>12 years
How is a decade not long

>medicority incarnage

I'm obviously talking about length of content and not how long it took to make it. If anything spending all that time on something that short is a reason why those two manga are that great.

Also here's another one to prove you wrong.
I think you just need to read more manga.

>long-running |ˈlɔŋ ˈˌrənɪŋ|
>adjective
>continuing for a long time: a long-running dispute | a long-running soap opera.

>I'm obviously talking about length of content and not how long it took to make it.
No, you aren't "obviously" doing that. In fact, you're explicitly doing the opposite.

OP didn't even give a good enough critique of the series he mentioned. It just "Urgh, this got boring and stoopid, Urgh.

No point bringing up other series

See

I did read it, and it's overrated as hell in here. The boxing strategies are laughable, but it's not terrible so I guess you can take it. Also Lone Wolf and Cub is a better example of a long series that maintaned quality and got better overtime and never started as shit. But point is it's extremely rare for series to be that long, and I mean hundred of chapters (not 100) and go on for decades without turning to shit.

It doesn't matter if a lot of my examples listed are shounen, that doesn't preclude them from being quality.

>Wait, I mean long in chapter count, not longrunning
>Wait, I mean long in both chapter count and in runtime
>Wait, I mean "extremely rare," not "there hasn't been one"
Kill yourself, before those goalposts crush you underneath them.

K but Vagabond still defeats your argument.

>reading BAA MC
>hyped coz finally they found the treasure
>fast move into a flashback we are inside a flashback
>flashback inside a flashback saga out of nowhere
YUKITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know goddamn well what I meant by longrunning and with those examples. Using Akira and Nausicaa which was worked on and off for over 10 years and are MUCH shorter than any series listed in the op is like comparing a trilogy to a TV show with like 10 seasons.

I mean I could critique them, but that would go way past the word limit.

Berserk tone went out the window. It's been dragging Casca's plotline to the point where you don't give a shit about her anymore and rather than feeling pity you feel annoyed. The art is terrible now with it being a meme how bad it looks. Griffith has becoming a boring static character ever since he's been revived, and to some extent Guts has been in stagnation. The series has too many party members and doesn't know how to balance them. And the humor is terrible and overused now rather than being used to contrast a mood, it's overused and messes up the tone of scenes.

Trunks came out of nowhere in Dragonball and his plot sounds like something ripped from Back to the Future. Everyone acted retarded in the Cell Arc from Vegeta (letting Cell absorb 18 cause MUH PRIDE) to the gang letting the androids even exist in the first place. The arc was incredibly self serious, and it started the trend of everyone becoming SSJs for no reason.

>You know goddamn well what I meant by longrunning
No, I didn't. You can't just say the wrong thing, list examples that could apply to either the thing you said or the thing you really meant, and then claim that it was totally obvious what you meant.

The farm part is literally one of the greatest character development moments in manga ever and if you can't appreciate it, end your pitiful existence.

I namedropped LW&C before that guy came in with Ashita no Joe.

If you weren't retarded you could tell that the one thing the series had in common in the OP was the length of their content and that's what I meant and not that it spans over 10 years but is actually short. I guess I could have started with, "Why is it so rare for longrunning series not to turn to shit" rather than asking why there isn't one but that wouldn't be any fun now would it. Nor would autists like you come out of the woodwork.

So in short, you're asking a completely different question from the one you actually typed, blaming retards and autists for taking you at face value, and you already asked it before anyway and don't seem to care about the answer. So what are you even doing? Just shitposting? I don't get it.

This all seems like purely subjective mumblings about how it lost appeal for you instead of offering actual critique.

And what are you talking about Trunks came out of nowhere? Do you need to be handheld through every single plot point for it to makes sense for you. There can't be an air of mystery in the show now?

>not that it spans over 10 years but is actually short
But you just fucking said "it's extremely rare for series to be that long, and I mean hundred of chapters (not 100) and go on for decades without turning to shit."

Because they want to milk it for as long as possible so eventually it all falls apart plot wise and also that is the intent from the start, if these authors gave the slightest shit about proper storytelling they would be book authors not manga artists.

What exactly is the qualification for a series to be considered long-running?

Trunks did come out of nowhere though. I mean his existance was explained shortly after of corse, but his appearance felt like a deus ex machina made to defeat the bad guy. Though Frieza even coming back is another problem altogether as it just rehashes Tao being revived as a robot. Toriyama's writing was slipping m8, and the time plot was terrible. Though time travel subplots are almost always awful unless the series in question focuses on that (Back to the Future) rather than uses it a crutch. The whole series felt off after Frieza's death, and the continuation always striked me as Toriyama merely continuing cause of contractual obligation rather than having anything interesting to say. Yeah I know about him in saying that he planned to end the series if he made around 12 volumes earlier, and it's possible he was just writing back then to fill a contractual obligation but at least arcs segued nicely in a way that made sense rather than being jarring transitions like Future trunks.

>I mean his existance was explained shortly after of corse, but his appearance felt like a deus ex machina made to defeat the bad guy.

A guy Goku already beat once and could have easily done so again but was merely beat to it by someone else? Right, totally deus ex machina.

>The last time Berserk was good was when Femto merged the worlds
To be fair there haven't been that many chapters since then, it's just been 10 years

>JoJo's current arc
>good

Araki is throwing shit against a wall and nothing is sticking.

Fucking plotholes everywhere.

>implying Cell saga isn't best saga
>implying One Piece isn't the best it's been since Enies Lobby

what?

Cell arc is definitely not the best m8. Have you read the manga?

I have, fail to see what difference that makes

Sorry, just assumed you were one of those secondaries who only watched the Z portion on Toonami. Cause that's the biggest fanbase of the Cell Arc.

It has its moments. and Cell is kind of a neat villain, but it just epitomized all the shortcomings of the series. Though we have wildly different opinions here cause I wasn't a fan of Enies Lobby here and that was when the series felt the least "One Piece" to me and most generic.

Here ya go buddy.

It's all good, this stuff's all subjective anyways, always cool to see other opinions

The thing is with jojo at least each part has a new feel to it compared to older ones. Most characters dont overstay their welcome and the very few that do are well liked by fans. The new universe was a very welcome change though since it gave us steelball run and jojolion which seem like two of the best arcs so far.

I'm still hyped for Berserk. Here's your (you). I'm gonna read it in 1 minute and there's nothing you can do to stop me from enjoying it. Hmmm! Here's comes that shitty new art style - but I still eat it! I don't care anymore and have lost my mind.