How did France come to have a manga/anime market that completely blows the English market out of the water...

How did France come to have a manga/anime market that completely blows the English market out of the water? Is it overlap with bande dessinée? Do you frogs get more mature series? Do your adults read manga as well? What gives?

Foreign market thread or something. Discuss your local manga/anime markets.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VJCTzNhYEv4
youtube.com/watch?v=QFalZ7ey484
youtube.com/watch?v=9xq19HAeI2w
youtube.com/watch?v=234a0963oVw
youtube.com/watch?v=rbg-InH7EGo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is the red so much thicker than the blue? This is seriously upsetting me.

Because it's a navy flag.

>How did France come to have a manga/anime market that completely blows the English market out of the water?

Very simple: French animation also blows the rest fo Western animation out of the water as well.

tl;dr, France, likes Japan, takes the animation/comic medium very seriously.

>The current French ensign is not, as the casual observer would think, identical to the flag of France. Though both are blue, white and red, the French civil ensign has those colours in the proportion blue 30, white 33, and red 37. The intention is in fact to create a flag which, when seen moving at some distance, will appear to have columns of equal width; in addition, the slightly wider red column is intended to improve the flag's visibility at sea.

Is the bootleg market still strong in spic countries? Or are there finally official releases?

France has some gems

youtube.com/watch?v=VJCTzNhYEv4

youtube.com/watch?v=QFalZ7ey484

>How did France come to have a manga/anime market that completely blows the English market out of the water?

A generation grew up with comics, another grew up with animations.

Really, i can't explain it, i guess it stick.

I wouldn't know because I spend all my time focusing on Anime & Manga rather than irrelevant dubshit.

Oban Star Racing was god-tier show.

Its not that there aren't official releases, but they cost a lot of money relative to what people there make. I've visited Argentina a few times, the last time being 3 years ago.

Well, France is the world capital of comics. It makes sense that japanese comics have a market on baguetteland.

The thing is that newer stuff doesn't get licensed here because trademark laws in spic countries are an absolute joke. This morning I was out in the farmers' market and one of the big public screens was showing an episode of DBS complete with an "unregistered software" watermark. Nobody gives a shit.

I'm from Mexico

We are getting lots of Manga lately and anime movies like Koe no Katachi and Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry

We are also getting lots of Japanese artists like Rica Matsumoto

We are the most weeab country in Latin America

They have A LOT MORE

the french are also perverts

Chile and Argentina BTFO

Snail-eating cunts GET THE FUCK OUT

it sucks whats going on there though.

Southern cone weebs don't need shitty translations because they already know moonrunes.
Stay pleb beaner scum.

>The intention is in fact to create a flag which, when seen moving at some distance, will appear to have columns of equal width; in addition, the slightly wider red column is intended to improve the flag's visibility at sea.
and to make people wonder if they see things

They dub stuff often. Grew up with lupin over here.

>tl;dr, France, likes Japan, takes the animation/comic medium very seriously.

This

Arguably the U.S. comic industry could have stand toe-to-toe with Franco-Belgian comics if it weren't for the god awful Comics Code that set back a ton of genres

Europe never degenerated into all-capes.

Wrong flag.

BDs represent all genres, and adress all publics, from kids to adults. Some series are completely turned towards mature stories, and it represents a big part of the market.
Also yeah a lot of adults grew up reading BDs and therefore still love reading some (Spirou, Gaston and Tintin all go back to the 60s).
Some mangakas are very mainstream in France, like Taniguchi, who even won a BD festival at Angoulême, and incidentally, my first manga ever was one of his works, the summit of the gods, which was bought by my parents.

Nice fan art but I don't recall Dofus to look like Disgaea in any way and I'm playing the game since 2005.

>fairy tail
>good
choose one

Not sure if this applies to the French market too but the Italian one (which was up there in the golden era) has been in steady decline for like a decade. For example we get a really huge choice but most publishing companies are shit. It comes to my mind that time they published one volume of Medaka without Kunagawa's quotation marks.

was going to post the exact same thing

Kids brainwashed into degeneracy

I'd say it's a mix of already existing "western" animation and comic book culture, latent weeaboism, and most importantly Japanese animation being massively imported by a very popular kids show opening it to the masses back in the 80 and especially in the 90's.
People who grew up with animu started buying mango in the early 2000's when they got enough money for it, and now they're probably introducing the medium to their kids too while still buying manga.

Because France/Belgium etc.. already had a comic publishing and market before manga became popular. They published popular anime series long before burgers even knew what manga was. The kids who bought DBZ grew up and kept expending money on other series.

France has more manga, but the Amerigringos consume more anime.

Trademark laws in Latin America is a joke thanks to your shitty ass commie government.
You even chase away both Sony and Nintendo when they try to open up shop in your countries genuinely due to several of your celebrities keep harping on about it.
Now, everyone knows not to open up anything related to digital in Latin America.

Bless France for its top-tier boys, too.

I really hate to defend the American industry, but what exactly do you think the "English market" comprises of?

Anime literally means "japanese cartoons" you fucking retard

Manga in france in the 70/80s existed but it became a thing in the 90s with Akira, then came City Hunter, Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2, Appleseed, Dr Slump, and so on to finally explodes in the early 00s.
It all thanks to the BD we already had, it was easy to relate and we got very solid titles in the old days. The market was slowly declining the past few years but 2016 was really good.
We have lot of seinen and obscure manga, lot of total nobodies authors getting licensed every year.

I see both France and Japan share the interest in cat people.
If Wakfu didn't already point that out a long time ago.

Pretty inconsistent artwork.
The more you check it out, the more flaws you see and the less impressed you are.

Il y a beaucoup de weebs en france.

Beaucoup trop

I dislike you immensely.

Les ouiabous

>France has some gems

First link definitely NOT related.

Who /codelyoko/ here?

But almost no one can speak english in France, how can they be ouiabous?

toutafay

Unlike the French, though, your own animation/comics industry is objectively awful.

>lupin

I thought the intellectual property owner got analpained over their riding his coattails and slapped 'em with a C&D notice.

Je suis fier d'en être un et je t'emmerde, pédé va.

>a very popular kids show

?

you think this is related to language ?

Yeah it was called Edgar de la Cambriole.

It gets even better since they revealed the Miraculous originate from east Asia. In essence, Japanese cat boys and French cat boys are the same. I thought it was a neat homage.

The impression I get is that the US seems to be the one averse to anime. There isn't a lol anime is all hentai/ for creepy nerds stigma in asian countries and has been said before, anime is already pretty big in european countries with the french being the biggest weebs of all. Most of the negative image of anime outside of japan seem to be mainly within the US.

>ouiabous
>english
なに

>youtube.com/watch?v=QFalZ7ey484

STILL can't find that comic where the redhead busts the brunette perving on her in the shower and then proceeds to molest her in retribution.

Toi tu dois être le genre de gros tas qui va aux conventions en puant la transpi à 3km, le tout cosplayé en Sasuke

European comics as a whole were a lot more diverse than Americans.
NA comics are entirely superhero, comedy or weird edgy gore. There are exceptions, sure, but when you mention a comic or cartoon, 99% of people think that. While in Europe, there is a ton of general comics and cartoons and they're seen more as an "artform" than how NA views it as for kids.
>Putting a shota in tight black leather cat suit
I have absolutely no idea what France was thinking but it's great.

Non, je suis le genre de gars mince qui reste bien cloîtré chez lui. Les conventions c'est pas mon truc, à part pour les ankama conventions mais c'est fini depuis belle lurette ça.

Tu es un peu comme moi alors. Cependant les gens qui manifestent une admiration ou une vision supérieure de la culture japonaise à quand même tendance à du plus en plus me dégouter au fil du temps. J'aime les anime et manga, ça s'arrête là. L'historique du japon m'intéresse un peu aussi mais franchement sans plus. Après je ne sais pas si tu es comme ça, mais moi devenir un genre de "ken-sama", ça n'arrivera jamais

This thread doesn't have nearly enough Bernard Minet in it.
youtube.com/watch?v=9xq19HAeI2w
youtube.com/watch?v=234a0963oVw
youtube.com/watch?v=rbg-InH7EGo

Vous aller voter pour qui dimanche ?

Imagine not only being French, but being PROUD of it.

Le candidat qui ne va pas m'empêcher d'importer des loli

Club Dorothée, look it up.

Because they BUY manga not STEAL it

M'en fous je suis belge

Sinon je dirais Lepen. J'aime pas trop macron avec son genre de petit trader élitiste qui fait du fric

>Adrien
>shota
He's a bit old for that, user.

fuck off baguette

Middle schooler are still considered shota

WTF I love Hitler now

He's in high school.

I prefer croissant , but thanks user

I just started buying from Panini.
feelsgodman

I put him in the same category as the loli Christmas cake sensei

It's been known for a while that they've got massive weebs over there.

Please don't bring politics into this.

Captain Haddock projectile vomiting over the gunwale.jpg

>weebs
>not ouibs

Not enough shotas in them baguette comics

you have comics.

>NA comics are entirely superhero, comedy or weird edgy gore.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about

That explains le pen

All comics are shit except Sandman and Hellboy.

I love my country, but oftentimes I despise my countrymen.

There are definetly exceptions of course, but the majority of ones are still that.
Sure, anime has a lot of fanservice/CGDCT shows, but theres more shows people would consider "art" and such.

Hey Sup Forums did the third season of Wakfu start yet?

American media makes it out to be cp with their shitty "investigations"

>Ameritard too retarded to read the second sentence

Post French cartoon hips.

Q-Qui veut nous empêcher l'importation de loli?

>"investigations"

You misspelled inquisitions.

>And France's rare paroxysms of comics censorship tended to be anti-American in nature.

Context check.

Success breeds jealousy mon ami

No. Tot announced it for september/october 2017 and will air on france4/netflix.
Why don't ankama make a Dofus anime for christ sake? I grew up playing it, I'd give them all my money to fund it.

But there's a Dofus series?

I picked it up but didn't like it as much as Wakfu, dropped after a few episodes.

>Hentai dubbed in french
now that was the shit

There's a movie, too. Both series and movie are pretty great, even superior to Wakfu, to boot.