Great anime with SHIT endings

1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2. Darker than Black
3. Eureka Seven Ao

Rakugo season 2
Kaiba

The Big O

What was wrong with TTGL ending? It was sad yeah, but it was the perfect conclusion, the best a god can do is leave us mortals alone, and he'll be back when we'll need him again.

Trigun
NGE

I thought the ending to trigun was just OK

>TTGL
>great anime
it was shit from the second half

Hyouka

Not OP, but I thought killing off Nia and making Simon into a lonely wanderer was needlessly depressing, and the ending would have been just as good (or better imo) if she had survived. It felt too much like a typical Gainax ending where they have to make it bittersweet.

But it wouldn't make any fucking sense for her to live, would be a complete asspull

iam okay with him dying, it was a good conclusion

now Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt on the other hand....

The whole show is an asspull. It's about Simon and Kamina making the impossible possible with just the power of their wills and the spiral power. If they can literally become strong enough to throw galaxies as weapons then I don't see why they can't save someone's life through a force of will.

They saved the AO ending in the pachinko game. They manage to bring Ao back and Fleur pretty much wins.

> I don't see why they can't save someone's life through a force of will.

kamina and kittan died and didn't come back

Yeah I know, but they had something like more than a week together knowing that she would stop existing pretty soon. If Attenborough can find a way to make Probability altering missiles on the fly, it strikes me as odd that with more than a weeks time, someone like Leeron can't find a way to save Nia from the antispiral technology. If Team Dai Gurenn can totally match the spiral power and technology of the anti-spirals, why can't they reverse it? It just felt unrealistic that they couldn't save her given all their previous feats, and felt more like Gainax just wanted a bittersweet ending.

>it's shit because I didn't like it

Katanagatari (yes I'm still mad). It retroactively ruined the whole show for me.

>Eureka Seven Ao
>Great

Bitch what kind of drug have you been snorting, Ao is one of the worst sequels of all time.

LOTGH
AIDS??

no

Aldno*h.Z*ro

Cowboy Bebop

Now just you wait a second, mister. DtB season 1 had a great ending.
Season 2 on the other hand can suck a dick

In a series about crazy asspulls being the entire point? Surprising.

katana ending was briliant fite me

It was a shock ending for the sake of not giving a happy one. Classic Gainax shit, look at Panty & Stocking.

The only good thing about cowboy bebop was the ending.

Holy shit. Gurren Lagann is literally too subtle for Sup Forums. You can't make that up.

>too subtle
kek. please don't tell me you actually bought that anti-spiral spiral nemesis terrorism that ultimately bested Simon's "we can do anything and everything at once!" mindset and defeated the brigade.

Hyouka's ending was great though.

1. Soul Eater
2. Death Note
3. Rurouni Kenshin (TV series)

Which part was great? Maybe you liked the part where he says "I love yo... YooHoo. I love the chocolatey taste of YooHoo."

Nobody loves YooHoo.

Did we watch the same show?

>Shit ending
>Great anime
????
Great ending can compensate bad build up episodes completely.
BUT great build up episodes can't compensate bad ending at all.

I like to think that we did. It makes me feel like I'm closer to you. Like we share a bond.

U-uh, o-ok, sure.

Nanana's buried treasure

The one constant in the universe is death

Every character accepts that

Because if they use spiral power to bring 1 or 2 people back, why not a couple hundred, or everybody who ever died? If they decide to reverse death, the universe will be destroyed in the same way that the anti-spiral predicted. Simon knows this, and makes a choice not to live in total fear of the potential end of the universe like the anti-spiral, but also not to just bring everyone back with no thought of the consequences. I thought the show did a pretty good job of explaining this.

Gaworare

fucking this

>Because if they use spiral power to bring 1 or 2 people back, why not a couple hundred, or everybody who ever died?
How many other special cases like Nia are out there? None. You're not resurrecting the dead, just fixing a girl who's getting fucked over because her energy source got wiped out of existance.
That jump in logic "if we save Nia why can't we resurrect all elderly and murdered people everywhere" was such garbage logic. Nia never dies of natural death, of any sort, and turning Simon into a wanderer hobo was just the cherry on top of the shit cake.

I think the slippery slope argument is flawed, since they wouldn't be bringing her back from the dead, they would be doing something akin to curing a disease. Plus it seems completely out of character for Simon to just give up on saving Nia when he ventured across the universe into the gates of hell to save her, making the impossible possible, and then he just gives up? It's just completely out of character for him.

The problem with the ending is this:
>WILLPOWER LETS US DO ANYTHING WE WANT! WE NEVER GIVE UP
>....but I'm not going to try and save my dying wife, who I had been previously trying to save this entire time, just going to accept it as a definite thing

If you bring back Nia what about Kittan?

What about the man who died for his wife?

What about Jorgun and Balinbow?

Hell what about Kamina? Why not anyone ever?

Where does it end? Where do the new successors begin, that's literally the entire point of Gimmy and Darry being the next successors in the same way Simon was to Kamina. Life is meaningless without death user

>If you bring back Nia what about Kittan?
Natural death through battle
>What about the man who died for his wife?
>What about Jorgun and Balinbow?
>Hell what about Kamina? Why not anyone ever?
All natural deaths unless the anti-spirals fucked them over in the womb.
>Where does it end?
It ends where the deaths are out of unnatural magic hijinks and tampering or akin to curing a disease, not resurrecting anyone.

You get it now?

>life is meaningless without death so lets ban medical science and just accept it

Is that the message? Because it sounds retarded to me.

Nia is literally the epitome of a natural death though

>magically fades out of existance because energy source stopped working
Yeeeah, our definitions of "natural" completely differ then.

Nia wasn't dead, she could have been saved in the week's time that they knew about her coming death. This is more similar to deciding not to save someone with life-saving medicine than it is to bringing someone back from the dead. Using medicine is not really that controversial.

IIRC in the end of the series Simon is trying to save Nia without spiral power. So the ending matches the theme of the series.

>medical science
You mean the potential cause of the death of the universe?

Every science adventure anime (and from what I've seen the games too). They're really good at setting up tension and mysteries that make you want to learn more but they aren't able to resolve their plots in an interesting and cohesive enough way to be satisfying.

They didn't seem to have any problem using it for everything else, throwing galaxies and punching holes through reality included.

Isn't that the same with other people naturally dying minus the vanishing part?

The entire argument the anti-Spiral through at the gang is how Spiral power is ever consuming

So why start with anything for such selfish purposes

Hence why it was an unnatural death thus posing no problems with preventing it. It's not like it would repeat itself again plenty anyway.

Giving her Spiral power is essentially putting her on life support though

She can't live independently

>believing the villain's words
The anti-spiral's "argument" was also that there was no hope of them winning, and look at that, they were wrong.
Pathetic.

But it is natural for her. It makes sense since she's part of the anti spirals.

>Boy, isn't this villain interesting? Don't you want to see this plot play out and see how the heroes are against an actual antagonistic force?
>Too bad, we ran out of time. Go read the novels or something.

AO wasn't great, it had a shit middle as well as a shit end.

The main argument is the repetitive and thus dangerous nature of such an act, but that doesn't work for Nia. Her case wouldn't be repeated, ever, now that the anti-spirals are gone. So saving her poses literally no problem nor any dangerous precedent in preventing her death.
"Preventing" being the keyword, they wouldn't even be doing anything as drastic as resurrecting, just curing her particular disease.

It was just retarded.

>curing her particular disease
That's re-writing her existence

So we moved from her having an "unnatural death" thus needing them to use spiral power to prevent it to lol its just this one time guise XD?

We never moved from anything. People keeps spouting retardation like this completely ignoring that Nia was a completely unnatural and thus unique case, posing no danger for such "abuse" to ever repeat.

I'm watching through AO right now. I just got to the tent episode, which is where I dropped it when it was airing.

Less has happened plotwise than in PoP, which people still complain is slow and IS TWICE THE LENGTH.
Even less has happened regarding every other aspect that made PoP so incredible.
I've been playing the OST constantly and nothing great from that has shown up yet either, all I'm getting are the same few tracks used in the exact same IM GONNA DO IT ON MY OWN moments.

I went into this hoping it wouldn't be as bad this time around. but it's even fucking worse.
All I can think when I'm watching this trainwreck is, "I'd much rather be watching the original" or, "I hope the film series will be good."
Is there supposed to be a romance between Naru and Ao? It sure seems to be implied by the OP, ED, and a bunch of promotional art, but she seems totally irrelevant. Ao barely thinks of her too, I can barely remember her name. The damn sloth is more important than her so far, which is fine, but isn't there supposed to be a romance between the two? I've heard a bit about the writers making crap up as they went, and this definitely seems like that: they planned to mimic PoP with a tight-knit romance but scrapped it and paired Ao with Fleur and left Elena as the meme girl.
Am I supposed to care about any of these people? Bruno is introduced for a single scene and dies a few later. I haven't seen a single member of his squad since that episode. I don't understand why they even brought them up, because everything they did could have been done in a different way. I'm convinced they just wanted to show off Chloe.

How the hell can you call this a great series, OP?

You're just giving a shitty excuse to have a happy ending. Saying those other people having a natural death is stupid. Natural death is through old age when the body cannot sustain life. Its the same thing as Nia's case with her body not able to support existing. Its a natural death and they don't need to reverse that.

It's not unnatural for her. This her life cycle they would have interrupted

TTGL's ending is amazing, but I agree that it didn't make sense in universe. Lordgenome literally gave eternal life to Viral and the Anti-Spiral didn't bother to destroy earth due Lordgenome's power. It makes me think that Simon could have saved Nia without destroying the universe.
It's still a great ending though. Simon becoming a tragic hero brings a whole new dimension to the meaning of the story. I don't see how someone could prefer a generic wedding ending over an ending that celebrates life as a whole, including its happy and sad moments.

The shitty excuse is this completely flawed slippery slope argument that ignores all circumstancial evidence.

Except it wasn't. She wasn't a completely artificially made construct. She had a father, a mother, she grew up, she was exactly like a human being until the anti-spiral came and fucked her over. Simon would only be fixing that.
This argument you're using here is flawed too, we're not talking of a robot running out of batteries.

What circumstantial evidence? You argue that Nia's death is unnatural without giving us why it is. Isn't it natural for death to happen when the body cannot support life?

Without the anti-spiral showing up and turning her into their messenger Nia would've lived far longer than that, her death was unnatural. Also this

>until the anti-spiral came and fucked her over
At her core she is an anti-Spiral "life form" She dies the same way their ships do.

You really are think skulled to not acknowledge anything about this

It's not so much that they're turned her into a messenger, they just activated her

The reason she died was because she lost all of her power source because the anti Spiral died. This was still a natural death

>turning her into their messenger
She was never "turned" into a messenger. She was an anti spiral in the first place. We never had details on her birth.
With that logic, everyone else had unnatural deaths because Simon had everyone harnessed spiral energy and wouldn't have died if they didn't.

hey other user I'm going to sleep, I hope you don't get lonely talking to this autist

I fully acknowledge it. Point is, it doesn't matter. Without them showing up, fighting and dying Nia could've easily lasted 80+ years like any other human.

>fuckers show up and give me an illness that shuts down both my kidneys
>life expectancy cut from several dozens of years to days
>" This was still a natural death"
Yeah, no. Especially in a world where transplants can be done through sheer will.

If we're starting with the strawmans now I'm out too.

>show up and give me an illiness

It's more like they dropped a robot off at the orphanage that devolved feelings in its stand-bye mode.

>Without them showing up, fighting and dying Nia could've easily lasted 80+ years like any other human.
So what you're saying is if Simon never saved the humans, Nia wouldn't have died?
Nia wasn't entirely human, she was also an anti spiral. Again, it makes sense for her to die naturally since her body can't sustain existence

That shit's using your same logic. Everyone who died could have been resurrected since their death was unnatural. They were never meant to use spiral power. Them using it led to their deaths making it unnatural. That's in line with your stupid logic.

Sabre Marionette J to X. The third part of the story. A fucking harem show with three female protagonists. The last ten episodes or so of the series agonizes over WHICH GIRL MC LIKE ENOUGH TO KISS WITH. The final conflict arrives, and the three girls prepare to go off to fight the final battle. They demand of the main character to tell them which it would be in case they don't make it out alive.

He answers. But the sound of an explosion drowns out his answer. We as the audience never get to learn.

Then they all die in the next episode anyway so it's a moot point.

That was the last harem show I ever watched or will ever watch. I'm done with that genre.

i can't believe gurren lagann is 10 years old and people still don't get it

Pretty sure after Nia fades, Simon says he casually has the power to bring her back to life if he wanted to, but that it's not about looking backwards, its about looking forwards. Besides, he ages, he will die someday. He'll see her again.

How they don't get it?

Jormungand.
The whole ending was so stupid and nonsensical

It's pretty clear if I remember that they can bring them back. But that defeats the whole part of the message of learning to find balance and control over such dangerous power over letting it SPIRAL out of control. It would also make the sacrifices they made along the way meaningless.

What's wrong with Trigun's ending.The fight with Knives was pretty well done with alot of tension.Vash won and rode off into the sunset like Charles Bronson.Yeah it sucked for Meryl, but that's pretty much the course of things with spagetti western heroes.

>1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Still mad

Yoko said that he wasn't God because Gimmy asked him to revive the dead. Simon then said that even if he could (he doesn't tell if he can or not) the dead coming back would be a hindrance to the living.

Soul Eater

Simon and even Nia herself were perfectly okay with the outcome. Why do people miss this blatant fact?

No, they weren't.

This is a dumb opinion.

Kuzu no Honkai

It needed an epilogue, you can't just leave things like that.

Sadly I don't remember it ending...

>Loses the waifu
>Becomes a hobo
>Rossiu is president of the world

Probably the most kick in the balls ending

A thousand times Big O.

Slowly piece together the backstory of the cloned child soldiers fighting a giant robot war, drop hints about how much of the world really survived and who remembers the way things were and why they may or may not want that information out there-

Then the money runs out and they chump out a "maybe WE were the computer all along" and the world gets destroyed and remade and fart out a weak Outlaw Star style "robo-girl now has vagina you can use" happy ending.