Now that the grime has cleared, was One Punch Man a masterpiece?

Now that the grime has cleared, was One Punch Man a masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zhJs-ZqMix4
youtube.com/watch?v=LhwzSwm1toE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was really good - great, even. But I don't think it's a masterpiece. Really looking forward to the next season though.

Really good animation for the fight scenes, good music, but the pacing ranged a bit in the show. Still was very enjoyable to watch though.

No and neither will s2 because of dumb fucking fillershit.

>man is invincible because of something as simple as working out every day
>hilarious, what else you got?
>um, he's also a simple guy and does stuff normal people do
>...
10/10 masterpiece

This is completely accurate as far as the anime is concerned.

I might actually say the manga is a masterpiece. Mainly because of Murata's art, and the comedy being done for manga rather than adapted to anime from manga like pic related or pretty much all of the one punches.

It was ok. Not a masterpiece
>Good animation
Nah, maybe Saitama vs the alien but that's about it.

>Nah, maybe Saitama vs the alien but that's about it.
It had good animation where it actually mattered which was nice. Don't forget the sparring match.

Was great on every level but not a masterpiece. It was just a nice short shonen series that wasn't SoL shit and pulled it's tropes perfectly while also mocking them.

Same as Overlord.

Ironically both by the same studio and they are both season 2s as well.

Based Madhouse.

Oh, so you're saying a "masterpiece" needs to be super deep isn't that right?

I liked the fight scene animation a lot, although it's definitelly not "masterpiece".

Elaborate on how it's a "masterpiece" that has no flaws.

Elaborate on how "being great on every level" doesn't make it a masterpiece.

Great but not perfect. It was a great show.

Nothing is perfect.

You are~

I am.

this.
I stopped watching the anime on episode 3.
Manga is masterpiece

It's entertaining but nothing about it elevates it over the average show. No, it's not better than generic harem or CGDCT shows, at all.

Parasyte is a masterpiece

Fuck you, I'll fight all of you faggots.

>nothing that elevates it over the average show

Nah. It's above average. It just got more notice for not being a generic show in a sea of generic shows.

It's like seeing a 7/10 girl in a crowd of 3/10 girls. She looks blistering by comparison to the average but if you place her in a crowd of 10/10s then you will see why she's not a 10/10.

OPM got alot more interesting from not being a battle shonen/harem/SoL anime than it did for being a masterpiece.

It was a good show that got blown out of proportion. It won't be remembered in 5 years time except by a niche fanbase.

It won't set a precedence that will be followed for 30 years like DB did.
It won't be known as the pinnacle of gag humour in 30 years.
It's just extremely well made and entertaining in a sea of moe shit and terrible shonens.

Not as good as I expected considering the hype on Sup Forums

I'be only read the manga.

Even if you're not really into the comedy like me you'll still find the character's, stories, and art fantastic.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece imo, but hell I think 20th Century Boy is a masterpiece, so fuck my opinion.

Bill Burr likes it, so yes.

Season 2 when?

I pre-ordered Season 1 on Bluray.

His insight on the show is brilliant.

youtube.com/watch?v=zhJs-ZqMix4

>only reading the first two chapters of OPM
for shame user

>that's about it.
You're insane dude, the anime is filled with excellent animation

actually this is a better video

youtube.com/watch?v=LhwzSwm1toE

>he photoshopped my legs to make them smaller than they are

The manga is top tier, but thr anime is good for the fights.

The anime had good fight scenes and was a good satire

Shit taste is shit. Make a Parasyte thread, you numbnuts.

Boku no Hero season 1 was better and more hype eventhough the pacing is slow.

Better than cowboy bebop, so yes, masterpiece.

7-8/10 overall.
It's impossible to have lived up to Murata's redraw but some of the jokes in the manga didn't adapt well to the anime. Watching the first episode felt slow during the encounter with crab man.

Still pretty happy overall. Annoyed that the Genos' english dub makes his voice actually robotic for no reason at all.

I can't help but compare the series to Mob Psycho which got an incredible adaption that spawned some fun threads. ONE must be happy with the turn out.

One Punch Man was more about the side characters than Saitama. An anime about a guy who's completely broken would be boring.

It's actually very good the more I think about it

ONE is a very lucky man getting out his somewhat low effort comics to such critical success and fantastic adaptations.

Good thing the side characters got a fair amount of screentime /s
Only Genos got some screentime and other characters just appeared once or twice to job.

>not realizing one punch man is one punch line man
>that's the premise
well it works

MUMEN RIDER

That's in season 2 and 3 though, Saitama was still the focus here.

>and 3
Lol. Never happening after the utter disaster that's going to be 2.

Filler was a mistake.

S2 has got a much better fights lineup than s1 and King, Fubuki, Garou and Suiryu will appear. It will be plenty popular.

Indeed. I can barely imagine how anticlimactic the climax of s2 will be. Man what a pile of shit the manga has become.

>Suiryu

LITERALLY

WHO

It was good up until like the second half. The pacing on that show was completely out of wack, and the ending was retarded. I liked it overall though.

(You)

and if they don't have 5x the budget then they will be shit.

OPM had ALOT of issues with the funding and season 2 has alot more fight scenes and cinematics to go through.

They're already working on it and the series is very popular, what makes you think they'll somehow fuck it up? If they couldn't do it they wouldn't have announced it. They know what they're doing.

>S2 has got a much better fights lineup
Seems like it depends on whether S2 is going to be based off of Murata or ONE.
Not sure what the fuck is going on in the Murata version.

Its an average shonen show with above average comedy and animation.

Murata's manga is the best version of the story.

Are you retarded? Of course they're adapting the manga, it's a commercial of it.

> ONE version
> Murata version

Oh, yeah, you're retarded.

It turns into the thing it's trying to parody. Complete artistic failure. At least the fight scenes had some money put into them.

I found it boring and repeating. Dropped.

Can't really call it a shounen when the MC is already the most powerful being in the universe.

> OPM
> parody

So it's confirmed to be who the fuck is that and his henchmen who the fuck is that 1-20 instead of psykos/black sperm/evil water/super dog thing MA?

>average shonen
it's pretty easy to tell that someone's retarded when they don't actually know the demographic of what they're discussing

The MA just got extended into something bigger. We're still getting the same monsters as the webcomic.

Is the MA leader still Psykos? Did they just rename her or is the new guy not the actual leader? Do we know?

It's not aimed at actual teen boys, just people with the mentality of one

So the entirety of anime?

Oh wait Psykos is there.

Who the fuck is the new guy?
>inb4 just a jobber for Garou

>What if there was a shonen where the main character started out at max power?

That doesnt sound like a parody to me

Minus stuff like doraemon and sazae san yeah.

People are confusing parody and satire again...

Nothing confirmed yet but it seems like Psykos is pulling the strings in the shadows and hiding herself as a monster called "gyoro gyoro". Orochi clearly doesn't know that it's a human esper behind the blob, she killed him some years ago and is planning to take the real leadership of the MA.

Since Saitama and Garou already have their opponent to stomp Orochi wil most probably get killed by Tatsumaki. Makes sense since he'll be in the same room as Psykos.

OPM is neither. The whole "tough looking guy thinks he's so strong but gets beaten in a flick by unimposing main character" joke just comes straight from shonen. DB and RK make that joke constantly. There's no parody or satire being done

This. It's not that different from stuffs like Luffy stomping the big ass fish and Alvyda at the start.

>OPM is neither
It has a lot of satire

It had some political satire but certainly no satire of shonen

Except how the MC is already the strongest in the series
He didn't even get tired against Boros, in a clever parallel to his dream in the first episode

That's not satire

In the first place it's a satire of superheroes not shonen. You can't do a satire of shonen because that's a demographic not a genre (Death Note is a shonen for instance).

>randomly gets powers after silly training
>nuking evil villains base instead of going to fight the villain
>really stupid hero name
>really stupid hero outfit
>everything with King

The list is a lot bigger but I think you should get the idea.

It parodies the fact that all shounen heroes and villains have these unbelieveable backstories and motivations for trying to get more power, or to destroy the world, etc, whereas Saitama is literally just a hero for fun. It makes fun of a lot of shounen tropes like that.

Oh yeah I forgot about all the backstories
>I ate too much crab and became a crab man

Using a trope in a comedic context is not the same as parodying it

>Parody is the practice of copying the mannerisms, style or appearance of a work or its author's voice to make a point about that work (or sometimes unrelated other works). By adopting the guise of the attacked work, the artist reveals its inherent ridiculousness.
>using silly backstories to make fun of normal edgy/overly complex backstories

Yeah that's parody.
You're fucking retarded by the way.

Except it's not making fun of it, it's just doing it. Especially by the end.

It literally is making fun of it. Every villain and side character is an example of them making fun of it. Have you watched the show?

>Except it's not making fun of it, it's just doing it.
Nigger what? The last arc we had was largely dedicated to parodying this. The best part in the whole arc is literally parodying this trope.

>Have you watched the show?
Actually if he only watched the show I could see him being confused because Boros actually had a standard "I want to fight strong people" backstory.

But ONE's point isn't really to mock the genre. He's just a good writer that does unexpected stuffs and combines well ridiculousness and seriousness in one set of work. Only a very few weak looking characters are strong for example.

There are some parts that could be considered as parody, but calling OPM a parody as a whole would be just wrong. That's what makes it a good series that doesn't simply repeat one joke.

Yeah I could see how he might think that, but Boros himself was kind of a joke, his whole backstory of conquering all the other galaxies to fight superior beings is parodying DBZ style villains like Frieza. I've read the manga and watched the show, but even if I just watched it I could see that it's parodying standard tropes.

How is it making fun of it? You're not explaining. Dragon Ball doesn't take itself seriously either, for the most part it was a comedy manga before Piccolo shows up. As far I'm concerned, there's no discernible difference between what Dragon Ball does and what you're claiming OPM does, and yet some how OPM is making fun of Dragon Ball.

The character himself isn't a parody, Boros is "just" the kind of character that you think he's parodying. He would fit without any problem in Dragon Ball.

Its not a parody any more than gurren laggan was a parody of mecha

Its over the top and ridiculous, and it may seem like a parody to the casul, but its really not

Its a series where the mc starts out at max power, thats it thats all, there is no hidden context or deeper meaning or agenda

Its simple stupid fun, imagine dragon ball but goku was able to go ssj blue from the the start

It's parodying it because while it introduces these characters like Boros with incredible backstories, it pairs him with Saitama, who is the most powerful being in the universe, a comedic character. Saitama literally responds to Boros' claiming that all of his power will now be unleashed with pic related. It's obvious parody.

It's not that different from Fat Buu appearing with his ridiculous look and stomping everyone.

Extremely bad argument. Goku (a comedic character) also treats villains completely blase and beats them easily. It's parodying nothing.

You dont know what a parody is

Guys, Rurouni Kenshin is a parody, because Kenshin is strong and also there's comedy. Look he beat somebody without unsheathing his sword haha he did again and that guy thought he was so strong too, so subversive.

The manga is

>Garou has a super edgy backstory about how heroes are fake and he has to become a monster and defeat the heroes to save the world or some shit
>Can't beat Saitama even though he's so determined because of his "dark past"
>Asks Saitama what drove him to become as powerful as he is
>"it's just a hobby"

If you couldn't see the parody there you are actually fucking retarded.

What's King supposed to be satire of?

To have a character like Boros go on a 5 minute exposition on his travels through the universe and his own power while standing next to the most powerful person in the universe, who is also literally a joke character, is a parody of shounen manga that have villains like Boros but in a serious context. It's a parody of the trope of nonstop exposition about a villain's powerlevel in shonen. Anyway I just stayed up all night writing a 12 page final paper (which may be why my arguments are not convincing) so I'm going to go to sleep rather than continue to debate.

You didn't understand Garou at all if you think he's just some edgy shit with a "dark past".

It's done a masterwork job of being averagely awesome.
It's not some groundbreaking animeif we're to count Overlord as well that establishes a new genre or reinvent an older one, but it takes what it is and does it so masterfully, that you'll always look back at it fondly.
It won't become a classic or anything like for example Dragon Ball or NGE are, but it's just going to be it and nothing more.

>It won't become a classic or anything

It could if they really end up adapting the whole manga. That'd easily leave for 4-5 seasons which is plenty enough to leave a mark with that quality.

Goku also is a hero just for fun. He likes fighting and wants to get stronger. He beats villains with dark pasts.