Invaders of the Rokujouma!?

j-novel.club/s/invaders-of-the-rokujouma/search

>Translator: Warnis

Let me get this straight, they're now "employing" the translator that was working for free on B-T (obviously removing said translations over there now) and using the translation of the first 22 novels to get money? And now he's going to translate 23+ exclusively for them?
Just wow.

Compared to Yen Press this is insanely good
I am a bit pissed though, I wanted to fucking read this and now I have to pay out of my wallet to do it

Well, I just checked again.
Seems like the first 22 volumes will stay free forever so it's good.
I misunderstood the situation a bit.

I wonder how they even got the Japanese publisher's permission to do that.

That's pretty cool of them.

HJ Bunko isn't exactly big so they might have been simply being happy about a licensing at all?
But I have no idea.
It does seem weird, though. Seeing that the west will be able to read 22 volumes of this for free while the original country needs to pay. Legally.

Good for the TLer. Gets a job + the current stay free. 22 vols of free translations are pretty good.

>Entitled fucks complaining they won't get to read their weeb novels for free
lol

No, my main complaint was that I though they would be screwing over the translator, until I noticed like 10 minutes later that they had a proper agreement.
They're running on a subscription system after all, so if they were demanding shit for the first 22, just how much do you think the translator would have seen from that?

22 was finished? Not seeing it on secret club.

The "catch", if you can call it that, is that the Ebooks are paid versions. Anything else, you'll have to use the app or read on their site.

i'm happy about this, his work will finally be rewarded. but will the updates no longer be a volume in roughly a month or 5 weeks time?

Yeah, that's my main concern.
I hope the majority of the income for these paid e-books sold by Kobo etc. later goes toward him.

You can make your own e-books with that shit they offer for free, all you'll be missing are the colored illustrations at the beginning of each book.

ghost is so great

Would you bully the cosplayer?

patrician taste senpai, ghost is 11/10

It's pretty impressive how garbage the LN art is.

It's certainly not great.
Hardly any improvement even after 25 volumes.

>"employing"
Why the inverted commas? If the fan translator wants to get paid, who can blame them?

Volumes 4-22 should be once a month, 23 onwards is once every 2 months. Not as quick as it used to be but at least it has an editor.

Are the older translations still good to read, or should I just wait for the newer ones?

The old ones are at least readable, though the new ones are a lot more pleasant to read.

Ok thanks. Gonna stick with the older ones for now.

Not even shilling but if you're not an incurable poorfag do try and gib at least some shekels eventually, the translator at least deserves that.

Oh I plan to, I just want to go ahead and read this for now.

Apparently they have a free trial promo still running at the moment for a few more days, so I guess this is the only chance to read what there is of volume 23's paywalled bits before that ends.

The first part will stay free, that goes for every volume.
And for new projects, mostly the first two parts.

Yeah, but that's no help for reading the paywalled parts.

That is true.
I wouldn't mind paying for it, though.
But their system is shit so that's not possible.

In the end it's all or nothing and I'm not subscribing for a single project of them since I'm not interested in the rest.

In the end, I'll have to wait for the Kobo release and buy it separately and hope that the translator gets a proper amount of that money.

Eh, it's literally just the standard Crunchyroll-style streaming model but with download to keep as an option. It works fine for people who are interested in several of the series I guess.

I actually like the simplicity of the art, personally.

Anywhere to get the 22 volumes downloaded now that Nyaa is down?

Hmm, another series that makes me seriously consider paying for J-Novel Club.

Either homuwaifu, or you can use WebtoEpub Chrome extension to generate your own epubs directly from the BT pages. For some reason Baka-Tsuki has been much slower than normal to take down the page, it's still up. I think there is a Mega too but I dunno where to find it.

By the way, can i buy the ebooks directly from jnovel?
and is it DRM free?

Yes you can buy a DRM-free "premium epub" from them, but there are a bunch of qualifiers.

>you can only purchase the "premium epubs" using "premium credits"
>to buy a "premium credit" (for $7 each) you need to already be a subscriber (at $5 a month)
>you get one "free" premium credit a month if you are a "premium subscriber" (at $10 a month)

On one hand the "premium epubs" do come with higher image resolution than the rules of the Kindle store allow, and a bunch of bonus shit like interviews and store exclusive chapters. And I can understand that they need to incentivize people to subscribe to make their business model work. On the the other hand though it does seem pretty needlessly complicated. So I've ended up just buying from Kobo so far.

>They asked me to license it and I hesitated because of the length and because of the active and relatively high quality fan translation. I floated the possibility of cooperating somehow with them and they seemed amicable (pending a specific plan). I then approached Warnis, had a few conversations with him and brainstormed this release paradigm, created a full project presentation (kikakusho, in Japanese), and presented it to the Japanese publisher for their agreement. It was only after this was approved internally that we did the normal licensing contract (which wasn't hard since we'd already done a number of other contracts). All dealings with obtaining the rights to the fan translation, etc, were done straight by us, so as far as the Japanese company is concerned they aren't working "directly" with fan translators (or former ones), but they did approve this release structure with the understanding that they did not want to alienate the current readership/fanbase at all.

>I think they understand it's the same thing as when they license a popular web novel: If they force the web novel author to stop posting to syosetsu or to remove the webnovel version from syosetsu, it leaves a bad taste in the fans' mouth and lowers sales of the LN.

So narou saved the day in the end? Seriously?

Yes, a person is charging money for their work.

Happy for the translator but damn, can't afford it at the moment and for some time, also throwing a sub just for 1 novel I'm following doesn't seem right

Is it a legal licensing or just a ploy of somebody to earn pirated money?

>tfw legit living off instant noodles like Yurika
Their free trial is still running, so you could have a look around the catalog for now and see if there are any others that catch your fancy for the distant future when it is within reach of paycheck.

JNC is a legitimate publisher and partner of Overlap and Hobby Japan (kinda like how Yen Press is a partner of Kadokawa and Vertical is a partner of Kodansha I think?). Based on Hobby Japan were the ones who wanted to release in English in the first place, this was the only way it could be done without pulling a Yen Press style "kill it to death".

That's a pretty novel way of licensing and definitely one that's good for everyone involved or at least better than certain other companies' MO. I hope it works out so we can finally get that S2/movie ;_;

Anyone have a download for the already translated volumes? I want to snag them before Baka-Tsuki takes them down.

San.ae / mega folder

My thanks

Are B-T devs on vacation or something? Ordinarily they would have nuked within a couple of hours of a license announcement.

Oh, never mind.

>Hello Warnis, from J-Novel's tweet and series page, it sounds like you've worked out an arrangement to have your translation officially released there. Congratulations! As there has been an official release, standard procedure is to delete all of the volumes from BT immediately. Though given the unusual nature of the situation, I wanted to check with you before taking action. Is deleting the volumes from BT as per normal BT policy consistent with any arrangement you have with J-Novel? --Cthaeh (talk) 18:15, 3 May 2017 (CEST)

There is always the chance someone rips the translation from j-novel and uploads it on goddess.

They're removing volumes as they're rereleased on the new place. So volumes 1-3 are taken down now.

Someone had been doing that for previous series, but I think they lost interest since the finalized edited ebook just comes out at the end anyway. Or maybe they were too poorfag to afford continued subscription. Volumes 1-22 will all be free anyway.

No volume 22 Pdf?

It's called quotation marks

YP should learn from these guys.

Its more about volume 23+ that I hope get ripped.

>LN licensing companies not being Jews
IS THIS A NEW ERA??

Same here. Well, I already liked Poco's pics for even finding out about this novel.

Maybe I'm just blind, but I'm not seeing anywhere to download the novels on san.ae. Am I missing something?

We had an uchi Musume thread a while back and there was some discussion on some of the practice. Even the founder of J Novel was there and ironically Daiz, killer of everything.

Funny how everyone hates Sekai Project for doing this with VN fan translations?

I'm interested in the service. Apart from roukujima, are the other novels worth my money?

You gotta slash and mega.

Rokujouma. Fuck my mobile skills

Would JNC consider getting this?

Paladin of the end. For sure.

SP are gigantic faggots who delay endlessly, mock their fanbase, and run Kickstarters for everything instead of just selling a product. That's why they are hated.

Depends, how much do you like isekai genre?

Ahh, that did the trick. Thanks.

> Genre
Not even a genre, it's a fucking setting that leads to fantasy or sci-fi.

>Fantasia Bunko
>a brand of Kadokawa
Yen Press has first dibs on everything Kadokawa so that would be tough.

I kinda like it.

Read paladin. Just do it. The rest is not worth it.

>Yen Press
They have first dibs yet they do nothing, god it hurt's so much to live.

Well on the isekai side, Grimgar and Faraway Paladin are both solid. Realist Hero is a fairly decent a kingdom managenent isekai. I haven't read Bluesteel Blasphemer yet but that is written by Scrapped Princess and Chaika's author so it should be fair. I haven't read Smartphone either, but the translator (Reading Steiner) likes it. They also have Arifureta if you are the kind of person who would enjoy Arifureta. And also one more about a guy whose goal is to mixed bath with a harem of bishoujos, which I haven't read either.

As for non-isekai titles Neechan wa Chuunibyou is fairly entertaining even if it should have been written ten years ago when Haruhi style was actually still a thing; Ore ga Heroine has dismally ancient art but the plot is still worth a few laughs, UchiMusume is a fantasy Usagi Drop with extra diabetes, and Pay2win VRMMO is a fun story about a guy who pays millions of dollars and hammers the servers so he can defeat Kirito in an online game.

Thank you very much, I'll check it out.
And no ebooks. And no shipping overseas(as far as I know). And slow as fuck international release. Fuck them

>Grimgar
I am warning you user, aside from paladin, it is not good. I repeat. It is not good. I am warning you ahead of time, it is not good nor is it solid.
> Realist
Neither is that.

Don't listen to that user, just go for paladin.

That's just, like, your opinion man. Lots of people like Grimgar, and Realist is fine if you don't take it seriously and are not expecting the MC to be Diocletian or something (plus the LN version really improved on the WN)

Yeah, why should user keep an open mind and form his own damn opinion?

Two days ago I would have pointed you to nyaa where a few of the books had only recently been uploaded, so you could at least try before buy. But unfortunately nyaa is too stupid to breathe, so here we are.

Grimgar is written a bit above average, it's only problem is, it somewhat leaves a bad after taste at certain points of the story.

Ironically I am, actually, jewish. (non-practicing)

Reading 16+ volumes I can confirm that competent editor would improve translation quite a lot.

> Opinion.
Here's my response: So what?
> Lots of people like Grimgar
Ad populum
> Don't take it seriously
You have no free will or doubt, therefore, you are brainwashed into thinking it is fine.

Ok, you want me to rant as to why Grimgar is bad?
> Death had very little effect.
It seemed rather shallow considering it was too early and just given the dramatic effect despite the obvious flaws in the first death.
> Hive mind.
Just going along with it without further question.
> Deus ex machina.
What happens in later volumes is just bullshit. Haru in a fight with something he literally cannot win against just gains a new fucking power and bullshits his way into winning. This was utterly contrived and later volumes just create a dramatic misunderstanding that makes the plot even further contrived.

Ah, so it was you who murdered nyaa after all.

Anyway, since the BD bonus volume and side chapters were not translated by Warnis but rather by Mountain of Pigeons, does that mean you don't get to use those translations?

Not really, below average.

>Its another user goes off on a rant about his opinion like it suddenly makes it fact episode

We get it, you don't like Grimgar. But that user might. Does it REALLY affect you if he reads it? I already know the answer is going to be yes, because this is Sup Forums

On a probability scale of "The whole of Guin Saga in English within our lifetimes" to "Yen Press will never stop being huge flaming faggots", what would you say are your chances of persuading Seven Seas to take a chance on printing Rokujouma?

Unsure whether we can even access the rights to that from Japan, but if we can we'll pay Warnis to retranslate from scratch. Unless MoP emails me and we work something out I guess, but for 1 volume I think I'd just have Warnis do it for consistency.

I've floated omnibus editions to them. They are very cautious though. 3-in-1s or something might be way more cost efficient than singles for something this long that needs to come out quickly. I think grimgar sales and ebook sales will be key to them pulling the trigger on it though.

>Unsure whether we can even access the rights
SRW Syndrome strikes again? Fabulous.

Also can I take this opportunity to complain that your site reader chapter selector is really counterintuitive?

>after clicking on a part the whole page refrshes into something that looks identical to what you just left, and you have to then click yet another "Read Now" button to get to the actual chapter, instead of clicking on the part entry taking you straight there

>all the parts for all the volumes are dumped into the same long list (good luck navigating to part 2 of volume 12 out of 26 in that menu) instead of separated by volume

>3-in-1s
That be great if any publishers picked up old finished jp titles like Baka-test, KoreZon or Ichizon.

> opinion suddenly makes it fact
Oh, I'm sorry, I never realized how you fell into the mindset of an idiot that points out opinions, essentially doing the equivalency of some schmuck on the street pointing out the obvious things like the tree, sky or some other guy.
> Like it's fact.
What's opinionated here? My points about the death, deus ex machina, hive mind? What's wrong here? Are these not considered facts, if so, then prove it is not fact. Of course I have a fucking opinion. An opinion is judgement not necessarily relying on facts. I came to my conclusion based on the points I made, and that's my opinion, stop stating the obvious.
> Goes on about how people might like it.
Let me give you an analogy, if you wanted to be a good host for your guest, would you feed them garbage without question? If so, then you are essentially a terrible recommendator as well as a host.

Both are UI issues I've been aware from since the beginning and were more about "that's what I could code in time" than optimal design.
Already on my list for improving.

Nanodesu being the ADHD ass that he is think Korezon could benefit from a license much more than Bakatest.

Yo that's pretty neat, Didn't even realize Rokujouma was actively being translated and that it had 23 fucking volumes released

>I don’t just take this fucking job home, you know. I take this job home, it fucking ties me to the bed, and it fucking fucks me from arsehole to breakfast! Then it wakes me up in the morning with a cup full of piss slung in my face, slaps me about the chops, to make sure I’m awake enough so it can kick me in the fucking bollocks! This job has taken me in every hole in my fucking body! QUARKBOY IS GONE! You can't know Quarkboy, because Quarkboy is not here! Quarkboy fucking left the building fucking years ago! This is a fucking husk, I am a fucking host for this fucking job. Do you want this job? Then you're gonna have to fucking swallow this whole fucking life and let it grow inside you like a parasite. Getting bigger and bigger and bigger until it fucking eats your insides alive and it stares out of your eyes and tells you what to do.

Quarkboy, if you accept suggestions for LNs here are a few
転生従者の悪政改革録

復活したらLv1だったので、生き延びるために英雄少女を口説くことにしました

イチから始める最強勇者育成 毒の沼を泳いで渡る彼女たちを勇者にするのは間違っているだろうか (富士見ファンタジア文庫)

セブンス /Sevens

why redo something if it already exists?

I am going on a vacation to hawaii in a week.

I need it.

I mean I'll be working the whole time I'm there so things keep getting uploaded but... I'll be on the beach at least.

Please no, Sevens is such disappointing shit.