Who else here has never touched a light novel and never will?

Who else here has never touched a light novel and never will?

Me. I read them online.
Only an fool would buy a physical copy.

I have PDF's of all my LN's in a drive

Haruhi were the only LNs I have ever read and I have all of them in physicial.

Same.

I don't read books, so I don't.

I read a translation of volume 1 of Goblin Slayer and fucking loved it but when I tried torrenting the rest I got Vietnamese runes
I honestly prefer LNs to manga but am completely fucking stupid when it comes to finding them

myself

I've read a pdf copy of Oreigaru and it was pretty good.
I have nothing against LNs, user.

I used to read the Slayers novels so I can't say I haven't.

That's dumb user. If you never try them, how will you know that they weren't worth trying?

I demand that you have the same regrets as me!

>regrets
Please explain.

Having spent a single second of your life on LNs is a source of regret.

99.9% of the time they aren't worth reading

Then you get this shit

>He was the largest creature in the forest which had once been known as the Great Wood, and he was the oldest. Many of the huge old elms which Holo had noticed in the valley below had been little more than twigs sprouting from the ground when the bear came out of the dim unknown reaches like a brutal, wandering king. Once, the Ancestors had lived in the Great Wood and they had gone in fear of the colossal, undying bear. They had tried to kill him when they first discovered they were not alone in the new territory to which they had come, but although their arrows enraged him, they did no serious damage. And he was not confused about the source of his torment, as were the other beasts of the forest like the predatory bushcats which denned and littered in the sandhills to the west. No; he knew where the arrows came from, this bear...knew. And for every arrow which found its mark in the flesh below his shaggy pelt, he took three, four, perhaps as many as half a dozen of the Ancestors. Children if he could get them; women if he could not. Their warriors he disdained.

>Eventually, as his real nature became clear to them, their efforts to kill him ceased. He was, of course, a demon incarnate--or the shadow of a god. He stood over one hundred feet high, and after eighteen or more centuries of undisputed rule in the Great Wood he would be challenged. A wolf has trespassed.

I find LNs to be pretty fun
I don't dislike manga but I often times find the artwork to be too busy or low quality for series that I'm not invested in

I don't see why I'd read young adult literature in any language, except in native Japanese to practice my reading ability.

I can read manga for kids, because of the art. But why read books for teens?

I'd read American adult lit if it wasn't littered with SocJus memes and squeaky clean morals
where else am I going to fuel my rape fantasies?

I've read every haruhi

that's about it

I will never understand why books aimed at little girls always have so much rape in them.
Are all little girls perverts?

>books aimed at little girls always have so much rape in them
I didn't know this was a thing but it makes sense since girls often have rape fantasies, probably in the same way dudes have beat-the-shit-outta-eachother fantasies

yes

There are a lot of fairy tales and books for girls with rape in them.
Read Snow White or Little Red Riding Hood if you don't believe me.

>the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood was an allegory for rape
fug

I initially misinterpreted your post to mean that you thought the quoted text wasn't worth reading, and was busily searching for a way to slap you through the Internet.

S&W truly is GOAT.

What makes you think books for adults are any better? 99.99% of genre fiction is crap.
If you look through the history of literature, great works are rarely representative of what was popular at the time. Good books are always diamonds in the rough.

I'm not going to tell you that all LNs have shitty translators and editors working on them and that's why they are bad, but for some that is definitely the case.

I buy physical copies of LNs and read them because.

Kino
Baccano
Haruhi

That's pretty much all I've read that was good enough for me to keep reading.

I read normal books already
May as well read weeb books too

I read Hakomari, Gekkou, Haruhi, S&W and Konosuba. Tried reading Hyouka out of curiosity, too, but eventually stopped.

How heavy are the books you normally read then?

Not trying to sound pretentious, but if I'm supposed to read I prefer to read a classic.

I have tried a bunch but they were all inferior to the anime version that hooked me. First medium where the source material is 100% inferior.

I've got a question.
Does the web novel differ too much in story from the light novel in the same series?
For example, Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka?
There is a web and a light novel.
Do they change the story?

Yes they go trough professional editing and everyone knows what kind of huge assholes japanese editors can be so sometimes the story loses some of the original spirit the author intended.

yes, they would. i normally hear people saying that the ln versions of any wn stories will get fixed, revised or edited when its turned into the ln. dungeon defense for example, was a clusterfuck and pure edge in the wn, but it received a first revision but still flopped. the 2nd revision is the one we have now and is a ruse cruise masterpiece that would make niccolo machiavelli proud

I tried reading Haruhi. It was like reading a high schooler's LotR fanfiction. Never again.

Hard to say for sure since usually one of them is not translated at all. But yeah, it's different.

Overlord has minor differences, the most famous one is the end of the Workers arc.
Kumo Desu Ga has a lot of LN-only characters and the story probably has a few deviations (again, the LN wasn't translated so I can't say for sure)
Shield Hero also has minor differences and the ending will probably get changed in the LN, given how bizarre the situation got in the WN.

Got it, thanks

I thought Shield Hero's ending was hilarious, so I hope it doesn't change too much.

I read the fan translations of the Baccano light novels after I first saw the anime.

Honestly this entire LN industry is so fucked that I don't want any part in it.

To be an animator you need to go trough years of hard training for basically no pay and in the end what awaits you is barely any more pay and still a fuckload of work.

To be a mangaka you need to learn to draw and story telling.

To be a LN novelist you need.. fucking nothing at all. You just write anime scripts, you don't even need any kind of professional standard of writing level, just write them like you visualize anime with all the retarded sounds and whatever. I have seen LN scripts where people were just screaming their battle sounds for two pages. As this LN industry progresses it gets even more cancerous with web novel shit that gets published and some editor does the entire work for your mess of a story.

Kumo's WN is better than the LN

way better

I haven't gotten around to reading any, but I've got Spice and Wolf, Kara no Kyoukai and Welcome to the NHK all downloaded and I'll read them eventually.

Are you an American by chance?

I'll never understand why they felt the need to shoehorn so many characters into the LN. Feels like the editor was just trying to justify their salary.

I've stayed away from reading them because every time I see someone post a LN passage it looks like it was written by a retard.

I shouldn't have read that passage of Violet Evergarden. Hype is pretty much gone except for the beautiful visuals.

I finished this a while ago, and it was actually really fun. It's not like high school battle harems are generally held to a high standard, but out of all of them it's probably my favorite one.

The adaptations are mostly trash so no, me neither.

Spice and Worf should be considered as a classic novel, not some shitty LN

I haven't though I plan to Konosuba and the Jojo LNs.

Kino and jinrui. Not touching anything else.

Sometimes the LN is good and there are no ebook versions and the publisher is waiting for sales numbers to decide if they're gonna translate more.

I bought some English Code Geass LNs, can't remember anything about them though. No resale value whatsoever now.

reading it really brings out how terrible they are

at least in anime and manga they can hide behind cute girls and flashy fights

I read them sometimes because I read moon, but never battle haremshit or isekai. The third worlders who read machine translations of those piles of shit are the worst thing that's ever happened to this board, save tripfag yurifags from Madoka threads.

It's literally the opposite. Without watching a shitty train wreck happen in real time with 2fps animation and having to hear the stupid lines come out of someone's mouth you can speed over sections you don't like without skipping anything and the power of imagination tweaks stupid shit into something that's more tolerable.

I have avoided all LNs and anime adapted from LNs.
Feels good

>anime adapted from LNs.
this

stay away from them at all costs

I've tried reading LN translations and they're awful. They have what is quite possibly the most dull and lifeless English prose in the history of humankind. I honestly can't fathom how any non-Japanese would derive enjoyment from LNs.

ESLfags are subhuman. There's no other way to enjoy the same shitty story told with 500 different coats of paint (or hair dye) in broken English.

I wish this shit was just a manga instead
I hate fucking ranobe's and i hate how their manga versions take ages to get translated

One time I bought the first novel of Kino's Journey translated into english since I loved the show so much, but I never opened it.

Were you looking for EOP?

>EOP
No, native English speakers don't read that trash because it makes their head hurt. I'm definitely talking about spics and SEA monkeys.

You sure? It wouldn't bother ESLfags because they're blissfully less exposed to other prose in English but it's not exactly subhuman.

Anyone who reads broken English translations of seasonal battle haremshit up to volume 5, then reads inaccurate animesuki spoilers for the rest of the volumes, then comes to Sup Forums to shitpost about spoilers at people who are just watching for designs and seiyuu while calling them secondaries (despite being unable to actually read the LNs themselves) are absolutely subhuman.

Wew specific conditions, can't argue it though because I was only talking about why they would tolerate shitty translations. Battle harems are shit in every language.

>specific
It happens in a massive scale every season.

Glad this thread's up; just read the second volume of Faraway Paladin.

Massively disappointing. The first wasn't bad considering it was a light novel and all, but it looks like the author couldn't keep it up. His dialogue would also be perfectly at home in an anime--in other words it's pure shit. Shitty dialogue and even worse characterisation.

In other words, nothing new, just your average light novel.

It doesn't even have to be battle haremshit. Fan translations of LNs and VNs have brought forth elitists of the worst kind, who think they're somehow superior for having waded through inexcusably bad writing. The Fate Stay Night VN is literally just one soulless description after another, but there's no end to the amount of fans who claim that the VN is the be all end all of Japanese fiction.

Honestly, if you're interested in reading LNs or VNs, just learn Japanese.

I always thought they were hot garbage, then I read Kizumonogatari, and it confirmed my suspicions.
From now on I stick to actual books.

The only LN I've read and bought was Welcome to the NHK, I really liked it

I did learn Japanese, and English is my mother language. You have no idea how much those retards praising broken English translations of Japanese text hurts me. They're not just poorly written, they also frequently just plain wrong.

Yeah, if I wanted to read a book I'd read a book.

*slow clap*

>It became trash after first arc

What a pleb. You got to try out new things.

try shit

>all light novels are shit because prose and tropes
so where else do I find my rape fantasies and vidya-inspired anime settings?

If you enjoy harem shit you're really missing out by not reading LNs. If you don't then they're definitely a waste of time.

>t. EOP

>it didn't become trash after the first arc
Money well spent.

>it didn't become trash after the first arc
but it didn't exist

Present

I wouldn't even read Slayers.

THANK YOU

Now that's quite subjective user, I enjoy my guilty pleasures. Most of the LN that I read are romcoms, however.

Most if not all of the writings are subpar and barely readable. I'll just stick to books.

Only when I need some closure on a series.
After all those years of waiting in vain might as well pick up that bloody index bullshit, how can hurt? Spoil S3?

This. I already get enough shitlit from Horus Heresy novels and some of those are actually well-written.

I've read S&W for the plebbiest reasons of all (plot) but that passage you quoted is pretty bad.
If the language, setting and themes makes you feel smarter than reading other L&N bullshit, then good for you.
>No; he knew where the arrows came from, this bear... knew.
Literally fantasy fiction tier prose written by any random dude.

But hey, at least is reads than the fan translation.

>Spice and Worf
I couldn't help myself

Me

>Reading anime

>that image
is this a shoop of *that* Persona pic

I am currently around chapter 200ish and the story has honestly grown boring. I don't care about all the other characters in the world. I just want to read about little miss spider and her overpoweredness.
But noooooo. She had to turn into a goddess and lose most of those powers.

Does the focus ever shift from all the other classmates and only on the spider?

I don't even read regular books, why would I bother with that garbage over reading manga?

Already failed. Read some but the quality is as bad as expected.

Light novels were made to be easy to be read so teenagers can read them.
As they were made for teens, the quality will be indeed of low level.

Only ever read Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de aru.

>reading LNs
>when there's a ton of manga with better plots and actually pretty art to look at
>when there's a shit ton of great books with amazing concepts and plots to entertain you
There is not a single reason to read light novels, especially fan/badly translated ones - unless you are a huge weeaboo.
Anime based on LNs is shit as well.