What was with japans obsession with smoking? And why does anime make it look so nice...

What was with japans obsession with smoking? And why does anime make it look so nice? Its fucking expensive here and I dont like it but I wish to know.

Other urls found in this thread:

link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02245326?LI=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everybody is obsessed with smoking.

Have you watched anything besides anime?

Japan still has a pretty large smoking culture.

They all know about the side-effects but I guess when you work 23 hours a day you gotta do something to take the edge off I guess.

Everyone smokes in Japan and it is super cheap there. I literally quit smoking when I got home from Japan because I went from paying $5 a pack back to $25.

>expensive
They cost 7ish Trump bucks here

Aus?

Yeah, its more like $30 here.

It looks cool.

Streuth

Nicotine itself is very relaxing to smoke, and Japanese society is very stressful to be a part of in a way. Unless you work in the entertainment field or as a higher up then you'll catch a lot of flack for you behavior even if it isn't necessarily bad or unprofessional. On top of long working hours, so nicotine is pretty great.

If it weren't for the fact that their diet was pretty rich with probiotics and antioxidants then they'd be in trouble health-wise. I wonder how much sulforaphane or glucosinolate glucoraphanin they get there too.

Smoking is ubiquitous among most media. It makes characters appear stoic, carefree and in the moment.
Japan and asia in general has much higher rates of smokers than america, and somehow lower rates of lung cancer, I guess they dont demonize it as much as burgers do. In 3D japan though you cant just smoke anywhere like in the US, there are "smoking zones" outside, as opposed to no-smoking areas.
Anyway its a waste of money and most people who smoke wish they hadnt started so I'd say don't get into it.

>nicotine
>relaxing
as a former smoker, I can tell you that it's about as relaxing as a cup of coffee. nicotine is a stimulant, causes your blood vessels to constrict and your heart rate to increase. the "relaxing" part of it is just that it offers an excuse to do nothing, or to chat with other smokers

It lets them die faster.

>carefree
Most smokers in media are brooding, edgy types

Anime characters do expensive things all the time. Like going overseas for school trips and paying tuition at super huge all-girls highschools.

It depends on how you smoke. Small doses in short intervals make it a stimulant. Large doses in prolonged intervals make it a sedative. There are even studies about this.

link the study, then. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Taurine is a stimulant but it caused me to get sleepy whenever I used to consume those poisonous liquids they call "energy drinks".

The relaxation actually comes from the satisfaction of a craving. Tension and anxiety accompany cravings and build the longer you defer them. A good smoke satisfies the craving and thus sets that timer back to zero. What many experience as relaxation or a euphoric calm from smoking is really just short-term relief from that craving.

It's not even entirely physiological, or exclusive to smoking. Most addictive habits, whether they're substance consumption or just compulsive behaviour (eg. nailbiting) usually involve that progressive build of anxiety when not satisfied, and a soothing feeling of relief when satisfied.

>Most addictive habits, whether they're substance consumption or just compulsive behaviour (eg. nailbiting) usually involve that progressive build of anxiety when not satisfied, and a soothing feeling of relief when satisfied.
Yep, that describes masturbation for all of us

>What was with japans obsession with smoking?
They haven't figured out how disgusting and nauseating it is.

This is exactly right, and pretty much describes how I spend my days

I get panic attacks from inhaling cigarette smoke. Smokers are truly cancer.

To be fair, you are getting panic attacks just from going outside.

smoking looks cool in fantasy. That's just how it is.

> you gotta do something to take the edge off I guess.
I guess dying after 30 helps take the edge off.

It really is bad, but I do see why people working would enjoy it. I used to love my smoke breaks when I wasnt a neet. Only time I've ever smoked.

tobacco companies pays studios $$

You sound like such a fucking weeb, grow up

>all these faggots complaining about it being expensive
kek, I live in Virginia where it's $5-6 a pack.
Also, NAS Black a best.

Kakkoi kara ne.

Man, me winnie blues start at $24. Thank god I quit years ago.

there, one of many: link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02245326?LI=true

How underage are you.

Had to take a "smoking class" when I got caught a smoking by the cops a few years ago, apparently second hand smoke causes cancer worse than first hand. So what I'm trying to say is I take comfort in the fact you will be face up in a morgue before I will.

Darker than black taught me this.

I want the benefits of dying after 30 but don't want to smoke
What do I do

"smoking class" what the fuck, were you underage at the time or something?

how can second hand smoke cause cancer harder than actually smoking and getting second hand smoking (from himself) at the same time? it doesn't make any sense

Pick any form of risky hobby. I ride a motorcycle in the hopes I get t-boned and die without any extra effort on my end

wear a rope necklace

It's largely played up to make smokers feel guilty about innocent bystanders who get caught up in their shit. Something I agree with, smokers are filthy and stink like shit.

That is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT horseshit.

Eat a lot of bread and drink a lot of coffee. There is a special kind of cancer related to that activity.

you probably stink like shit too. judging by your comment I doubt you shower more than once a week, try to get out more you sad bastard

This is actually my own qualm with people who smoke anything, most of the time it smells awful no matter what it is. When are GMOs going to produce strains of tobacco and marijuana that smell like cinnamon or vanilla.

Smoking looks so cool, but it smells so bad. How is this possible?

It's impressive how effective the anti-smoking PR campaigns have been on children. Sure, smoking is not healthy, but it's not nearly that dangerous. Thirty years ago, everybody smoked. See all those old people in the world? Chances are most of them smoked for many years, and yet they still lived long enough to get old.

If I remember correctly it is worse. However bystanders only inhale a fraction of the smoke so the risk is far lower than they make it out to be, its just trying to guilt smokers.

Doesn't actually smell that bad.

Or eat too much red meat (intestinal cancer, stomach cancer), or eat almost exclusively nuts and berries/fruit (pancreatic cancer)

Anime don't conduct smell.

>it smells awful
It's an acquired smell, like how you have to get used to the taste of coffee

Some people carry smoke smell worse than others. I've know people who can pop out for a smoke and not smell of anything when they come back and others that havent touched a ciggy for a few days and still smell of it

>You can't buy Lucky Strikes in the states anymore.
Feels fucking terrible man.

They can't use any drugs stronger than cigarettes or alcohol unless they're a yakuza.

Seriously? I loved them for their racing liveries.

what
do they even into drugs

From someone who lives in Tokyo:

1. Cigarettes are cheap. 420 yen gets you a good pack of smokes, and this is after they increased the price. They were even cheaper back in the day.

2. Everyone smokes. It looks nice because it is nice. It is a pleasurable experience for most people.

3. Japan, especially Tokyo, can be depressing as fuck and sometimes you need a cigarette or two to take your mind off things for a while.

Probably more their clothes than themselves.

To be fair if it was an edible they'll probably panic attack and hyperventilate until they pass out.

Yeah, the Britbong company that bought Luckies out pulled them from the North American market so it wouldn't cannibalize sales of their other products.

Here cigarettes cost like 3 or 4 euros. No wonder everyone smokes.

>apparently second hand smoke causes cancer worse than first hand
Unless you spend most of your time somewhere indoors with a lot of people that smoke, this is not true.

>he isnt watching anime with HD Smellavision TV
Poorfags out!

>from someone who lives in tokyo
Fucking weeab

Smoking is pretty nice and cool as long as you don't go full degenerate and smoke one pack and more a day

where do you think you are.

That sums up pretty much everything.

>smoke a pack or more a day
I'm content with 5 a day, more would fuck up my throat too much.

How is Tokyo depressing?

u jelly?

yes

Second best girl

I don't watch anime at all.

3. Japan, especially Tokyo, can be depressing as fuck and sometimes you need a cigarette or two to take your mind off things for a while.
why don't they simply watch anime?

not really

Jill a cute.

are the nips stoners as well?

God no. Weed is the same tier of drug as heroin over there

What if they watch anime while smoking?

>2. Everyone smokes. It looks nice because it is nice. It is a pleasurable experience for most people.
smoking only becomes pleasurable after you get addicted
most people start smoking as kids because they think it makes them look cool, and later they're too addicted to stop
i've never met a smoker who didnt want to quit smoking

No, the devil's lettuce is treated as literally the worst drug in existence.

The Ainu used some hemp for medicinal and ritual purposes if I'm remembering right.

>smoking only becomes pleasurable after you get addicted
Get a load of this faggot.

There's not much to tell, living by yourself, working hard, drinking alcohol and smoking and hooking up with random girls... leaves little time for self reflection and generally makes you feel helpless and depressed because of a lack of direction.

Some people watch anime and turn into complete weebs, it's another form of escapism from this place.

At the end of the day, though, I wouldn't trade living in Tokyo for anywhere else, and I've travelled plenty.

This is completely untrue. Smoking inherently feels good.

>i've never met a smoker who didnt want to quit smoking
Well you must only talk to heavy smokers. I've known many people who keep to their 3-4 a day and are quiet happy with that.

I don't care for cigarettes but fuck them for making me look at those repulsive pictures every time I go shopping now.

Smoking might feel inherently good to some people but take others time to get used to it or for it to feel pleasurable entirely because of people having different brains where the same chemical reacts differently.

I tried smoking once, hated it. Made me feel unpleasant for hours.

Tried pot once, it was kinda OK. Not as bad. Made me feel strange for some time afterwards.

I'm a loner and only tried them through friends who happened to offer me some. I know no-one now after I moved some years back. I wouldn't mind trying them again but I don't know how.

They don't have those in Japan. Big tobacco doesn't allow them because it would turn off many people.

Doesn't smoking age your skin really badly?

I hate those, too.

I honestly like these style of pipes better than any of the Western pipes, a little more slender and elegant, you could even tweak the shape to make it seem sensual like a woman's extended leg.

Weed is really nice in small amounts by yourself. Its just getting it thats hard when you dont hang around that sort of people.

people who smoke indoors are the worst
the smell sticks to everything

The only reason you can't tell is because smoking fries your sense of smell.

And your sense of taste a bit too.

You can thank the (((FDA))) for that.