It's an "isekai'd to a fantasy world that works like a JRPG" manga

>it's an "isekai'd to a fantasy world that works like a JRPG" manga
>with floating status windows
>item boxes
>and appraisal
Why do nips do this?
You wouldn't write a historical military fiction where the MC has access to a and can spawn to and measures the greatness of his civilization with a concrete value would you?
Or a law drama where the judge's patience with the defense is measured with a giant green bar and the defense attorney picks from the to present?
So why the fuck would you write a fantasy story like this?

You get what you get when reading dogshit.

Cause its easy, its like cooking by the recipe, there's no need to risk so the otaku won't get angry if their power fantasy is ruined.

Isekai is a doomed genre, i suggest moving to other shit until it crashes.

I'm more angry that a bloody wooden training sword is somehow a great weapon in this world.

Also the fact that the MC's never get their teeth kicked in by the locals who have real combat experience.

>Isekai is a doomed genre, i suggest moving to other shit until it crashes.
That's what they said about battle harems.

>So why the fuck would you write a fantasy story like this?
The easy answer is "because other people did, and these writers have all the originality and class of a photocopied Mona Lisa used as toilet paper".

Another easy answer would be "writing it as a fantasy JRPG allows them to ignore actual historical or even fantastical research in favour of generic videogames, and these writers have all the insight and dedication of a blinded pigeon hooked up to a morphine drip".

A more satisfying, though not 100% accurate answer, is that setting your story in the world of a JRPG makes your job as a writer sinfully easy. This is because one of the biggest hurdles in writing is "show, don't tell".

If you want your hero to become stronger, you have to show him weak, show him growing, and show him strong, all of which require their own set-up, scenes, justification, description, and payoff.

The same applies to a changing relationship, an threatening enemy, a newly-introduced setting, or even something as simple as "a powerful spell".

In the world of a JPRG, these things are stats. They are clearly visible to characters within the world. You can show... by telling.

Even something as simple and hacky as Ichigo Kurosaki flaring his magical fart cloud while the other characters go "OH MY GOD I'VE NEVER FELT STRENGTH LIKE THIS BEFORE" is simplified further. Boiled down to the most elemental bullshit you can imagine: Ichigo Kurosaki's spirit power is 953, and that's really impressive. Writing relationships? No need to show - the main character's Relationship Stat with Heroine #3 has levelled up! Writing a training arc? Why, that's just a stat box away!

This is incredibly easy, and hits the same power fantasy buttons that a more conventional story would with far less effort. It's ultimately empty calories, however. Absent the graft of truly showing the characters and setting grow, we have no attachment to them, they have no flesh, and the author's skills stagnate.

because they dont know anything other than video games and anime
they have no originality
that kind of shit is popular

>implying they even know their vidya
that's a dime and a dozen, its all copy cat bullshit for the bulk of web novels

Authors write what they know, and shitty isekai authors are no exception.

Except they know nothing except video games because they're losers, so they transplant video game mechanics into their novel world

It's fucking disgusting

This is so right its not even funny
Its downright sad how nips simply can't grasp the show don't tell concept.

This desire for easy writing, this pursuit of the ultimate in narrative fast food all the way down the garbage chute, is why so many isekai stories start by making the character a living god and then proceed upwards, or why even the ostensibly "lower powered" ones tend to hand their protagonist so much convenient bullshit or wave away so many potential conflicts, failures, or pitfalls.

Rule #26 of stories: Victories are satisfying, but fuck ups are interesting.

These kinds of writers haven't learned this. They're writing for the equivalent of the World of Warcraft level-up noise, but without the hours of grinding in between. It's like a rat hammering the "pleasure electrode" button in its cage. Artifacts and power-ups and relationships and mentors and contacts and titles and reputations and victories that would take characters entire BOOKS to earn in another story just fall into their lap, one after the other, totally unearned. They can't stop, because if they did, there'd be nothing left to do. They're not imaginative enough to come up with a villain or conflict or challenge that could actually impede their protagonist, and they're too indulgent to allow it if they were. They have to keep the reader hooked with constant praise and victories and self-insert power fantasy nonsense, like a spoiled child who throws a tantrum at the least opposition. The protagonist facing real difficulties, or honestly fucking up and needing to admit to it, is a scary thought for them. They don't like it, narrative structure be damned.

Earned victories are hard to write. Another +11 Greatsword in a setting where magic weapons normally only reach +10, please. This one with extra sprinkles.

>You wouldn't write a historical military fiction where the MC has access to a and can spawn to and measures the greatness of his civilization with a concrete value would you?
are you actually implying that I wouldn't read a Civ Isekai?

If you want to find quality content, then yes.
Battle harems and Isekai are doomed.

Doomed implies there was hope for them in the first place.

What are some examples of really good showing, not telling?

That's how Oda Nobuna should have been.
Maybe we'll get a (Moemoe) Daisenryaku anime that does it right.

Battle harems are doomed from the start.
Isekai could've been cool.

Why don't the authors try something new?
Like, what if the MC had a great life in the original world, and when he's in the parallel world he just wants to go back?

>You wouldn't write a historical military fiction where the MC has access to a and can spawn to and measures the greatness of his civilization with a concrete value would you?
i would
>Or a law drama where the judge's patience with the defense is measured with a giant green bar and the defense attorney picks from the to present?
that would be awesome

kill yourself

>The easy answer is "because other people did, and these writers have all the originality and class of a photocopied Mona Lisa used as toilet paper".
I like this answer more than the others. The whole "show, don't tell" thing doesn't seem sufficient to me, because that wouldn't explain the resort to video game devices when you already have stuff like magic power-up devices, sudden power-boosting form changes, and literal numerical powerlevels as standard features in action-fantasy series, which could serve the same purpose of simplistic-telling. Instead, the video game stuff is popular because some guys once upon a time decided to tap into an alternate gimmicky form of storytelling that tapped into a subculture their readers liked, and then people just copied that like with any other trend ever.

>Like, what if the MC had a great life in the original world, and when he's in the parallel world he just wants to go back?
But there are tons of those, you're just not looking very hard.

There was hope for isekai, but the copy cats got outta hand

Halo 1 and 2

Fuck your Western concepts. Anime is infinitely superior in every way.

A better isekai would be one where the MC had a shit life in the past world and he works to build a normal, happy, day to day life as a farmer/craftsman/etc in the new fantasy world.

>literature is western only

Fair enough.There are tons of those.
Also, in Isekai the MC always gets a harem of girls lusting after him. They fall for him for stupid reasons as well.

I have read all the great works of Western literature

Only Borges even comes close to Bakemonogatari

Are there really a ton of those? Without a bunch of harem/adventuring bullshit?

I'm talking a Yokohama Kaidashi of Isekai

Showing is better than telling. It's lazy writing to tell rather than show. It's also less interesting to tell.
Anime is not better than literature.
There is no anime this season that's better than Fargo.

I always wanted an Isekai where they go from a modern world to another modern world with different rules and problems. It's always to a less technologically advanced place though to make the MC seem smart.

Because it's an easy way to do powers and abilities. The author doesn't have to come up with system for magic and abilities. They just just explain whatever bullshit happens with video game mechanics because it's easy to do. What else do you expect from these light novel hacks who call themselves authors?

You're making the claim, so why don't you prove it.

What makes Bake better than so many l

Those have shit writing though.
I seen a lot of fan fictions with better writing.

Read some more fucking LNs, mate. That is legitimately how shit works in that kind of story if you only read the worst of it.

>wanting a shit world that doesn't award your effort and talent in neatly placed statuses

Fuck off, I bet you like the real world too.

>Anime is not better than literature.
>There is no anime this season that's better than Fargo.

works of literature?

Also, Brandon Sanderson is a mediocre writer but at least he can make a good magic system.

A mistborn or stormlight anime adaption would be far better than any Isekai with a few exceptions.

>far better than any Isekai with a few exceptions
>better than any except the ones it isn't better than
You can just say "most."

You guys are forgetting another thing.

Part of the appeal of genre fiction lies in its familiarity. When people read pulp fantasy, they want to see elves. They want to see dwarves. They want to see orcs.

In Japan, the fantasy genre is deeply interwoven with the JRPG genre. What most Japanese people think of as fantasy is defined very heavily by popular JRPG series. So in Japanese popular culture, western fantasy doesn't JUST mean elves, it means elves with adventurer guilds that hand out fetch quests and autistic stat optimization and inventory management and all that jazz. The ultimate power fantasy is not just being a heroic dude with a magic sword slaying evil left and right with hot half-elven bitches draped over him, but also having the best end-game equipment that you upgraded past their supposed maximum stats with secret exploits and being able to bowl over the bonus dungeon of the game with utter ease.

Mokusho tensei for exemple has very little gamey things like menus and shit

Why can't they copy from that?

That's what you get for not reading narnia at high school

literally any isekai is better than narnia

Quick, post isekai that don't use magic windows, inventories, and other similar tropes. Only the MC in another world, crazy powers optional. These are usually more fun, with some exceptions like Kumo and Shield Bro.

>Konjiki no Word Master
>Nectar of Dharani
>Tensei Shitara Kendeshita (Has inventory, but it's magic and not some stupid stat screen)

No.

Isn't the MC of Arifureta, one of the most universally despised and panned isekai on Sup Forums, focused on the goal of getting back home throughout the entire story?
Obviously that alone doesn't fix the problem.

Fuck off with this muh anime/manga vs. Western fiction bullshit.

it might not be gamey, but it's one of the worst wish fulfillment piles of shit

I will fight you over the coffin of C.W lewis you infidel

Video game based Isekai is just a phase obviously brought on by the popularity of SAO
eventually they're just gonna run out of ways to make it different

I just can't wait until we get some non RPG based isekai
platformer based isekai will happen mark my words

Blame.

It still has retarded game-like elements like everything in the world being neatly divided into artificial categories and rankings that all are named X God as well as the obligatory adventurer's guild who find lost pets, hunt monsters, and go spelunking in dungeons for treasure.

>wish fulfillment
Why the fuck would anyone self-insert into a jobber coward cuck with awful personality? I've read it for Zanoba.

>this is God
Two nukes wasn't enough.

He went from betamax to edgelord to retard tsundere
no wonder people hate him.

The most unbelievable part of these isekai stories is that a bunch of aryan goddesses along with occasional brown one lusts after a nip. Not even a normal nip, but usually an unpopular and ugly otaku.

In reality it would be more like pic related. But even pic related is filled with the typical retarded isekai tropes and writing.

>Also, in Isekai the MC always gets a harem of girls lusting after him.
That's just anime now, it's in no way unique to isekais. If your anime has a male MC, he needs a harem.

>a coward who gets transported to a new world where he keeps his memories and gets a second chance at life, this time to become strong, with super suhpecial abilities and harem of his own

Yeah no one would self-insert ever.