What makes an isekai show/manga good in your opinion Sup Forums?

What makes an isekai show/manga good in your opinion Sup Forums?

Cheat skills
Harems
Slave girls

not that one.

A smart MC using real world knowledge to his advantage.

definetly not that one

>slave girls

No skill-taking/skill-gaining.
No cheat skill from god unless this is their only ability.
No power of friendship bullshit outside of actually ganging up on one powerful enemy and winning because you outnumbered them.
No edgelord backstory granting them Navy Seal meme tier prowess.
Actual male friends that can keep up with the main character to some extent and exchange banter with them.
No harem exceeding more than 3 girls.
A glorious villain that isn't driven by lust for power or evil for the lulz
A longterm antagonist that's eventually forced to team up with the main characters, no matter how brief their collusion is.

No blatant self-fullfillment
No harems
No one-dimensional conflicts that take one episode to solve only to buffer the fact that the MC is a moral upright guy
No villians who are blatantly evil
No "all nobles are evil"
No collectathon comanions, where you have one of every race in your party
No making the world revolve around the MC
No making the world underpowered to the MC where the MC can just roll every villain after encountering it the first time.
No "I was just an average NEET/High school student"

So basically no isekai ever. The only way anyone would pull this off is if it happened to be a battle shonen focused isekai to fill in the comic with battle shonen substance instead of "muh waifus". Isekai can be so full of potential but it never pans out because japanese writers have no fucking restraint or dignity

Making the isekai actually interesting and alien, operating on fresh set of rules instead of generic fantasy or korean mmo.

it being good

As long as it is entertaining, it's good.

what's with this nobles are evils anyway, sure people in power tend to be less than good, but not the kind of mustache twirlling enemy we see in isekai shit

I dunno user, last year, we had a country's governor replace cancer treatment medicine meant for children with water, and when he was busted, he embezzled a shitload of cash and then vanished.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, I suppose.

Punished shield hero best shield hero

Korean raws

Take And stress world building. There should already be powerful forces moving the world. The MC should not be the only person to change things.

Well, people with cancer are terminal anyway, why anyone should care?

Not every cancer is terminal you madman

Cancer is detectable and treatable at non-terminal stages, idiot.

Man, Therese is still a QT even when looking evil.

They happen to be the perfect strawman to burn alive, since they are a minority and there are plenty of rich people with gray moral areas, but poorfag writers never think too hard about society roles or the other plethora of charitable wealthy job creators, they just need someone to prop their stand-in as a "man of the people".

Character progression.

>Implying Isekai today is good
Few Isekai are good or at least tolerable, but the fact that most have cheat skills and video-game mechanics is one thing that makes my jimmies rustled and wanting to go full monkey over this. If the whole cheat skills are here and the show itself is just for fun most of the time like Ore to Kawazu-san no Isekai Hourouki or Tanaka The Wizard, then it's OK. However there is more Isekai where the MC with hax skills is set in a serious situation.

I miss those Isekai where the MCs start from zero with their capabilities and grow stronger with hard work and overcoming many difficulties (see Magic Knight Rayearth), or don't even have any special abilities and simply interacting with their comrades can cause a positive outcome (see Escaflowne).

Some cases of leukemia in children have high chances of being completely cured, provided you start treatment before they hit 10 years old.

And even if it didn't, screwing children over like that goes beyond cartoony villiany.

sauce please

Risou. You've probably read the LN of it anyway.
The manga is pretty now and has only four chapters so far.

>don't even have any special abilities and simply interacting with their comrades can cause a positive outcome (see Escaflowne).

This is the other extreme, where a main character is so fucking useless that all she does is stare at the hunky boys with watery eyes while whispering "Van..." over and over across 20 episodes

If the protagonist of the isekai becomes a cute catgirl, it's definitely worth watching it.

This keeps going? I thought it was just a one-shot.

Why can't more MCs be like this? Even a otaku stops being an otaku or at least he mostly mans up.

Hmmm. Yer right.

You know what I'd like? A Isekai where the MC gets assimilative powers and becomes what he manages to kill. Think Evolva or Prototype, but in a magitek dark fantasy.

This guy gets it.

My answer: Faraway Paladin

I don't know where you could have gotten that idea.

This is what made Juni Kokken so compelling for me. My only complaint is the convenient spirit that gives her instant sword mastery. I would have liked to see a training arc.

I feel like I just remember one long chapter with the crash and revival, introduction to the new world's lore, the giant enemy showing up, and her acceptance of her role and combining powers with the one who guided her around to beat the bad guy.

anything that doesn't resemble SAO, Re:zero and is somewhat like konosuba without being a full on comedy.

I want to bully this girl, so much.

I don't remember even a single one having a good cast, good luck with your search.

She didn't really fully accept it. She started having doubts after the other relic owner told her she was just gonna fuck everything up eventually by being a naive baka.

What country?

>OP as fuck MC
>Cooking
>OP as fuck monster that makes contract with MC and after that become beautifull or cute girls.
>Yazuka
>MC jew as fuck.

Isekai is the most unsubtle approach ever to a Hero's Journey. It's evidence of a writer's wish for escapism, lack of creavity, and skill.I'm pretty sure if someone took the time to measure the turd/masterpiece ratio of each genre, Isekai would win this by a large margin. I still do have a soft spot for Escaflowne though, so

>what makes an isekai show/manga good
transgenre bishonen antagonists I guess.

>interest world
>worldbuilding
>consistency
>consistency
>consistency
>consistency
>consistency

If the show is going for "sel-insert" MC, then it should be consistent, so it works like a "what if" scenario. "What if you were a man stuck in a overpowered succubus' body?". Some shows starts with interesting premises, but fail for not going through all the logical consequences.

If the show is going to focus on the world itself, consistency is again a must. Why should I care about a world in which author himself doesn't care about it?

i'd rather see the present world turn into the isekai rather than a convenient fake world emerge out of nowhere.

breaks down into that i'd rather fantasize about escaping/drifting in a possible world resultant from this one rather than a meme'd world that gives the author infinite power over it

So you wish to watch futurama in anime form?

I couldn't agree more. Play by your own damn rules.

>"self-insert MC"
>Why should I care about a world that the author himself doesn't care?
Fixed.

Not having a world that runs off a videogame engine would be a start.

Completely ignoring the isekai part.

Lots of females of different races, nature and behavior, each appealing to a different fetish.

Is it still considered an isekai if the character is just reborn into his own world? I have a sweet spot for stuff like Tsuyokute New Saga where the character knows about the future and tries to relive their life while knowing the future.

Do you even know what isekai fucking means?

What if the other timeline is actually just a copy of the MC's own world, hence another world that looks exacly like MC's own world in another time?

Future Trunks' story is an isekai.

as said, there is no telling if the the new world the MC is reborn in his is actually his or just a different timeline where everything is the same except him being reborn. He would technically be reborn in a new world, it is just more or less a carbon copy of their original one.

that means half the time travel stories are isekai

What is even the reason to make another isekai?

If the focus is on the fantasy world, why do you need your MC to be an average japanese guy instead of someone from this other world?

If the focus is on MC having some special power or whatever, why does he need to be in another world?

>If the focus is on the fantasy world, why do you need your MC to be an average japanese guy instead of someone from this other world?
In Nirvana, it's because the MC didn't want to be treated like royalty so she spent the first 15 years of her life incarnated in our world.

than that raises the question on the threshold for how different the new world needs to be to be considered an isekai or not.

You say that like it's unique to isekai.
"Rich upper class" has been an acceptable target to mock in fiction since forever.

>Isekai is the most unsubtle approach ever to a Hero's Journey
What? Most isekai don't even follow the Hero's Journey template since the MCs are to retardedly overpowered to meet any real trouble ever.

what about scifi isekai

Answer from a good writing perspective: the MC being from another world (our world) provides a fish out of the water scenario that can be a source of interesting conflict. Additionally, the MC being from our world provides a relatable perspective through which the reader can experience the alien, fantastical world.
Real answer: these are masturbatory wish fulfillment fantasies about how the author, a Japanese loser, ends up fucking the elf waifu of his dreams

Ideally? One that's just a normal story that happens to have the main character be from a different world(earth) and doesn't "act" like an isekai at all. Maybe have the MC explore some of the world a bit and make use of the chance for really cool world building combined with showing off the world through MCs eyes. Other than that, just give me a good story, without the dumb cliche bullshit. That means no harems, no stupid RPG system, no psuedo-fantasy. None of it.

Oh, and if you're going to bother making the MC from earth or whatever world he used to live in, have an arc where he actually returns to it and shit happens there. And no trucking.

Why do mods keep deleting isekai threads?

Because Isekai is fucking shit.

Because mods are autistic about enforcing the "no light novels" rule.

But apparently Raildex is fine even though all the discussion is on NT and not Railgun/Accelerator.

It's easier to paint a rich noble as evil than a starving peasant.

Couldn't agree more.

>author waste years playing MMORPGs 16h/day
>becomes NEET
>parents die and he doesn't know how to do anything
>"b-but I know something... I have plenty of cool stories from the MMORPGs I played!"
>"I know, I'll write a WN about a mmorpg isekai!"

Doing something different, surprising and exciting. Isekai is all about putting characters in a new world that they know nothing about, and the audience should be as surprised as the characters themselves.
Which doesn't happen because isekai has become an ouroboros. All isekai draws from other isekai. It's all about medieval fantasy and RPG elements and harems and special skills that only MC has and all that stuff. And from the posters alone you can usually tell that it has that stuff. And that the same tired tropes WILL come into play.
There's no real unknown. No true stranger in a strange land. No situations where the characters truly feel alienated and lost. No sense of adventure as one learns new things about the strange new place.
Just the same middle/high school escapist fantasy pretty much everyone had at some point about going into a new world and being a hero and kissing that one girl you liked, over and over again.

Most violent crimes are done by filthy commoners, so it should be pretty easy to write a poor villain. The hard part is making him important, these are usually "first boss" type of villains.

Sounds like pic related

>the half-elf is a guy

Impossible.

What happend wasn't reinhard Subaru's number 1 fan?

Because 90% of the discussion in these threads are retards whining about realism and applying 3D real life standards to what clearly is still a fictional 2D world with fictional 2D characters to the point where you can't even tell who's a normalfag and who's just pretending.

I am more bothered about the fact how MCs are most of the time denser than a black hole.

It's called idealism buddy get used to it

Anyone know what this weebnovel was this?

>Girl dies, reborn as a daughter of a serf,
>invents something to help out with harvests
>finds a way to make everyone not starve
>got sold to a merchant
>served as a maid for the merchant's noble sister's two young boys,
>merchant takes her back and declared as his wife
>got kidnapped by bandits
>had adventures with bandits
>sent away with a trap bandit while the rest flee from army

If i remember correctly, magicians do shit like growing crops with magic.

>MC beats up a rapist thug in the first arc to protect a heroine
>promptly forgets about him for the rest of the story
>in the last arc he's revealed to be the final boss who has nursed an obsessive grudge against the MC and powerleveled massively over the years
Imagine if that happened.

And he's still in middle school.

You know, how would you make your isekai, Sup Forums? Mine would be like this:
> MC starts off as a native.
> He doesn't want to go out in the world despite the fact that he is not fully sure of what to do in the future but wants to stay with his parents.
> Parents die during the war.
> He doesn't have the heart to kill himself or some shit (monsters are out of the question, he was terrified of monsters)
> Essentially runs away out to the sea without thinking (more like a death wish) on a boat.
> Boat breaks but saved by pirates (the very most they do is smuggle, steal or cause significant damage) (How they managed to spot him was that the captain noticed him run off on a small boat and followed him out of interest while using a telescope from a far distance)
> Warms up to the pirates
> Adventure and life of a pirate while playing a huge part in the war.
> Theme of living life while being prepared for whatever comes and accepting the outcome regardless.
> MC uses mainly martial arts and no magic
2nd part, essentially new series with returning characters.
> New MC
> Chosen along with group of students to a different continent (Only one that doesn't know how to read or hear the language)
> MC has no magic and is one of the ones that refuse to fight for kingdom against demons (humanoid creatures dubbed as demons)
> Hates the world for essentially bringing him here to do dirty work and leaves eventually (after learning how to speak and read within months) (Spent a hell lot of time having to work translation from others day in and out)
> Eventually runs out of money and forced to steal.
> Acts as a stow away in a boat stealing food without getting noticed in the storage room.
> Eventually caught and tied up with very little food and water.
> Boat gets robbed by pirates.
> Guess who.
Cont.

No overpowered or underpowered MC
No evil church/nobility more nuanced characters authors should consult a history book to base their archetypes off of
MC starts off weak and progressively gets stronger
No edgelord or supreme gentlemen MCs
Plot that leads somewhere
Relevant side characters
No special snowflake abilities
No situational abilities that make the MC completely useless outside of dealing the finishing blow or etc..
Character progression
No completely selfless and heartfully devoted heroines
Realistic and reasonable justification for betrayals
Side characters should have their goals and motivations

It's all tongue-in-cheek.
MC's virginity is acknowledged by the universe and laugh at.

Mushoku probably is one of the few series that fits almost everything

Do not bring Mushoku into this. We've had too many complaints as is with that series.

I want to trigger Sup Forumsnons

So you want a worse name for the series and faggots who follow it, ok.

As long as the MC is interesting, any isekai can work.

You have low expectations then, have more limits.

If the author focuses more on the setting than the characters.

You'll care more about the setting itself than the plot, won't work. Have more balance.

Overlord's plot is really silly, but the setting makes everything alright.

No insertion of any japanese values or traditions into a western setting, or mixing the medieval world with modern customs and commodities.

It's an alright isekai.
the /ss/ rape was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP,LED LAMP

That's LN should get English proofreading.

The setting is really standard. It has very little relevance in the long run of the goal. Overall, you see very little connections made between taking over lizard tribe, underground black market, kingdom, all for finding your nakama. It's too long. I lost interest long ago.