How would you say One Piece stacks up against the other powerhouse shonen out there...

How would you say One Piece stacks up against the other powerhouse shonen out there? Naruto and Bleach take turns receiving our hot molten shits, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Dragon Ball Z still receive praise, but I don't see many talking about One Piece, for good or bad.

For the first time in eight or nine years I'm reading it and I'm curious as to what the consensus is on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

livestream.com/thisfinetemperedstream
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's definitely worse than Dragon Ball. The main characters in One Piece are largely static and don't really age. Even the timeskip didn't really change any of them except for Brook for comedic purposes.

How are they suppose to age it has only been 3 year since Luffy set sail, including time skip.

Yeah I feel kinda similar. When the timeskip came I found myself wondering what the point of it was from a story perspective. Maybe he just wanted to shake things up.

The characters don't grow, they don't mature. Reading One Piece is like reading crayon shin-chan. Luffy is eternally an 8 year old who thinks poop jokes are funny. Arcs get rehashed because Oda doesn't know how to do anything other than follow his tried and true recipe for success. It gets repetive and boring.

One of the only manga that succeed at being consistently good (yes some part are way better than other, but most arc are fine) over more than 800 chapters.
The only other one I can think of is JoJo, but that's mainly because JoJo is basically 8 manga.

Naruto had a clear endgame and had different flavored arcs compared the OP where it's just go to x island, introduce the bad guys and stir shit up.

Part 5 wasn't good.

One Piece has a great world building, especially for its length. The power system isn't too bad either. We also already saw where it probably peaks during the war.

It lost a bit of its touch since the strawhats were scattered. Previously it has a little more adventure and the strawhats were more at the center. Since the timeskip, politics went a bit closer to Luffy and the rest as Luffy unconsciously assembles his own fleet. Sadly it kinda overshadows most of the crew.

Luffy works great for an adventure manga though. His stupidity basically is one of the engines that keep the whole thing running

To the contrary, OP is the only one of the big 3 to use its Time Skip for something, not just power-ups and redesigns. World has changed significantly in a way that wouldn't occur in just a month.

Some are stagnant, but some actually do change. The best example is Robin who has been getting gradually more open since the Enies Lobby. Zoro has also come from only joining Luffy to get his freedom back and reminding him that his dream will be a priority to sacrificing his own life and pride for the sake of the crew. Chopper has gotten over his "monster complex". No one does full 180, but you can see clear changes in characters.

I think Ussop is probably the best in terms of character growth. Oda is playing the long-game with that character and it's turning out magnificently.

>I don't see many talking about One Piece
What the actual fuck. There's a general up at all times, I'm pretty sure they go through multiple threads most days. Lurk for two years before posting.

His character regression in Dressrosa was shit though.

He's clearly still in way over his head, but things worked out. I don't know about you, but I thought the whole GOD USSOP thing was pretty fucking hilarious and it continues the joke about every lie he ever said is coming true.

Also, he had the whole observation haki scene, so that wasn't negligible.

God Usopp was great, but everything before was awful. He has come against greater enemies and didn't run in the past.

It was.
-way- Better than the two parts before it.

>5 better than 4

No.

>greater enemies
Who?

Kizaru, Kuma.

Kuma immediately shot him onto another fucking island and he could do literally nothing against Kizaru.

But he stood up to them. And he first attacked Kuma on Thriller Bark.

Call it conditioning, I guess? He still pulled his weight during Dressrosa, even if he failed a testicular fortitude roll.

He did, but "escaped yet came back when he was needed" is one of the thing that can only work once for each character.

5 was a head over 4, by a long shot.

>-way- Better than the two parts before it.
Stop typing like a retard.

Quit trying to be a contrarian. Part 4 was ass and Part 5 had was better in every way.

> Quit trying to be a contrarian
But I didn't even disagree with you. I haven't read JoJo since like 2010, I don't even remember which parts I liked the most. But you need to not type like a retard on Sup Forums.

Sup Forums doesn't talk about it though. The general is just obsessed onepiecefags who have their actual discussion on apforums and abuse this anonymous website for shitposting.

>Luffy works great for an adventure manga though. His stupidity basically is one of the engines that keep the whole thing running

Luffy is a man of action that acts before he's able to process thought, which is why he doesn't have any thought bubbles.

If you want a good story, stop at the timeskip and you have a great manga (or, if you want to end on a very feelgood note that seems hopeful for the future, you can also read the Return to Sabaody arc and imagine what happens after they go to the New World)

If you just want a constant influx of new characters who get one cool scene and constantly outshine the main cast you've come to love, keep reading the post-timeskip stuff...the main cast were great characters, it's just now there's no time to pay attention to that and they are flanderizations instead...BUT, it is (presumably), resolving a lot of the things that the original series had so many people imagining and it's great to get some closure to some of that though it's unlikely most of it will actually be resolved in Oda's lifetime

Deserves its spot at or near the top desu. The worldbuilding, character designs, and Oda's ability to shift the tone from comedy to serious, keeps it interesting 800+ chapters later.
It's more fun to binge it compared to reading it week to week though.

its not nearly as good as it used to be but it still takes a giant dump on all the other fighting shonens

It's consistent.
With One Piece you simply get what you asked for, nothing more and nothing less.
It doesn't surprise you, neither in a good nor in a bad way.
It's like the food you can eat everyday, you are not impressed by it, but you don't get tired of it.

>consistent
I disagree, there was a significant change in tone and quality after the time-skip, it can now be described the way you have but before, it was very much full of surprises and great storytelling

You clearly know very little about One Piece if you believe that Naruto had a clear engame but not One Piece...

One Piece is still as good as ever. The "timeskip must mean it's bad now" meme is ridiculous.

I like it.

Except there is no regression. Oda merely plays it for gags.

When it is time to get serious, he does it. The rest of the time he's there for comedy. If you think oda will ditch gags in favor of super serious story you are reading the wrong manga.

The worse is that it was not a regression but a progression.

>the "call everyrhing I don't like a meme" meme is ridiculous
Fixet it for you, brother. You may like One Piece post-timeskip, I enjoyed many parts of it, but you must have noticed that things are different than One Piece before the war. You have much bigger focus on side characters, arcs are longer and have way more stuff in them what affects the pacing. Also we're much more focused on "main plot" now than before, there's little to no place for "detour" arcs.

Usopp running away and then coming back wasn't mean to be a gag, it was supposed to be "awesome" moment for Usopp. But it doesn't work because we had this earlier for him. Hence regression.

> there was a significant change in tone and quality after the time-skip
Now that I think about it, there's one change I noticed. The exploration is missing now. Ever since Punk Hazard we basically teleported from one Location to the next.

It's a gem that has everything you could ask for in an adventure series. Lovable characters, tons of iconic and memorable scenes, interesting politics, incredibly strong continuity, and one of expansive and creative worlds in manga. The first few post-timeskip arcs have some of Oda's weakest writing but everything after Dressrosa is great and feels like he's coming back to his A-game.

Might aswel use this thread for this.

I've always felt nothing torwards Ace and I feel like I've always been alone in this. It seems a lot of people hardcore fanboy over him while appearing very little before his chest fisting.

Who else /dontgiveacrapaboutace/ here?

>for "detour" arcs.
What was Zou? What was Punk Hazard?
>arcs are longer
True for one single arc.
>You have much bigger focus on side characters
Which is an excellent thing, in my opinion at least.
Always been the case. We had travel chapters in between Dressrosa, Zou and WCI. Nothing changed there.

Ace is pretty rad, dog.

Most of the time the "One Piece turned bad with the time" meme translates to either "I don't read One Piece and I am merely regurgitating memes I see other people do" or "I am a marine ford baby that only wants battles and doesn't care about the main plot". There are, however, differences between post and pre time skip I agree. Like in the overall atmosphere of series, but nothing major where the quality of the story has taken a dive. Less exploration too.

You can like it or dislike it, but anyone who keeps up with OP knows for a fact that Zou and WCI are two of the best arcs to date and we are heading for even greater things with reverie and wano next.

This is what I mean about the atmosphere. Pre-time skip had more emphasis on exploration and characterization between the straw hats. Post-time skip is going into full gear with the main plot of the story and we have less exploration and less emphasis on the straw hats as a result. There are too many characters now that need attention and subplots to focus on. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just the tone of the story is shifting focus. The main goal is and always has been reaching Raftel and finding the One Piece. You have to understand that the closer we get to the main objective the more we will focus on the main story.

Fnding out about the void century, will of D, and various other mysteries is something I look forward to a lot.

>You have much bigger focus on side characters, arcs are longer and have way more stuff in them what affects the pacing
Only complaint I really have is the fact that Oda's editors are pressuring him to quicken the pace and as a result we are moving at blazing speed through the story ever since dressrosa. There were various things in the current arc that could have used more depth.

I WANT CARROT TO BE THE NEXT STRAWHAT

JINBEFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Greater enemies
Who's he fought that's stronger than Trebol? You know, the guy who was able to fodderize the entire Tontatta army

No one. Also, this guy is forgetting Usopp ran away because Robin's existence has been erased and he din't understand why he was doing that on his own for the Tontattas. It was clearly progesssion, he never did something similar prior to that.

Pudding es LINDA y es AMIGA la guera, la futura esposa de Sanji vatos.

It's garbage like the rest

This is my opinion.
The key of one piece's success isn't because of how cool or badass the characters are, or how heavy the plot is, or how incredible the writing is, etc. Hell, one piece doesn't even really have those. But what one piece can do is consistently making its readers from any different age smile and feel entertained for this past 20 years with 800+chapters, a trait that so many other manga don't have. Yeah one piece is great as a "manga", maybe not as an eye pleaser with the incredible art which one piece isn't famous for, or thought provoking with its genius writing and heavy plot which one piece doesn't really excel. But as an entertainment, the main purpose of manga is to entertain people, and most people who read one piece do feel entertained. So yeah i think One Piece is really a GREAT manga.

I feel like the timeskip tripped a lot of people up because the two arcs immediately after it were the boring curbstomp of Fishman Island and the unrelenting slog that was Dressrosa.

With Zou and Whole Cake Island, though, it feels like Post-Timeskip One Piece has finally found its feet and figured out what it's doing.

>after it were the boring curbstomp of Fishman Island and the unrelenting slog that was Dressrosa.

Already forgot Punk Hazard? Can't blame you.

>With Zou and Whole Cake Island, though, it feels like Post-Timeskip One Piece has finally found its feet and figured out what it's doing.

Anime only fag here. Been catching up watching the last few weeks. A few episodes in to Zou and it just gave me this really good feeling. The sense of exploration, a truly new unique feeling place. It made me feel really fuzzy inside.

The entire goddamn thing.

>anime
Opinion completely discarded.

>yfw you realise all the best parts are the flashbacks

>praise Dragon Ball
>says OP is shit because arcs are rehashed and characters don't evolve

user please.

do not bully

The OP anime is the worst adapation I have ever seen. Even berserk has a better anime.

It was good and even great for a while.

But I think the last arc that was really exceptionally great for a shonen like it was Enies Lobby. After that each arc was just okay to bad.

Why do you say so?

I know of stuff like animation and some filler stuff. What else?

OP is my favorite anime and I just can't bring myself to drop it for the manga.

H-hey guys...

Never watched a single episode of Conan and it mystifies me how it's still going on.

There's a plot, I swear.

What's wrong with static characters? They all had goals they wanted to accomplish when they all had goals and principles when they set out. Why would they change them? Yeah the Straw Hats themselves may not change, but they change the people around them which is kind of the point. Also how can you cite that as a complaint against OP, but not levy it against Dragonball. Only character that grew in an interesting way in that series is Vegeta.

also ack-shun

>mystifies me how it's still going on.

It is so inoffensive and bland that any Nip can enjoy it.

Best flashback

It was sort of okay even by toei standards up until Thriller Bark if I recall? After that it went downhill. Animation, pacing, art, etc; everything that is wrong with toei is all dumped into the show.

Toei refuses to give it a decent budget and refuses to use much needed filler. Look at DBS. It was horrible at the start yet after complaints they increased production values. They never did the same with OP and instead lowered its quality.

I have no idea how people can tolerate it. It is unwatchable. Everyone jokes about shaft being a powerpoint, but ignores the fact that the one piece anime is a legit slideshow. Toei doesn't care.

People will say they are doing a better job with WCI, but I seen the episode. It is still terrible.

Pic related isn't even me cherry picking. I opened a random episode and looked at a random scene and that is the first thing I found.

>Even berserk has a better anime.
Whoa user let's not be hasty

Below Gintama but above most others.
Not including JoJo as it's no longer shounen.

Nothing tops HnK

Naruto > One Piece > Bleach

WCI is better, but its still terrible and a disservice to the manga. Big Mom's song was pretty fucking neat though gotta give them credit there.
I don't agree, but Gintama is pretty fucking great.

Yeah, the song was pretty great. Way better than any song they've given Brooke lately.

We come to the end of "Disc 2." Last episodes of Pre Timeskip.
livestream.com/thisfinetemperedstream
Bring your best snacks and dip.

It's a consistently fun read.

People go on about how great the fights and action is, but I think the series really excels in character interaction. It's at it's most entertaining when a bunch of quirky characters are conversing between themselves, and it helps in making whatever "rescue this" or "defeat that" story feel more human. I guess that's why Enies Lobby and Impel Down are two of my favorite arcs because we're seeing the most colorful villains having to co-operate with eachother whether they want to or not, and that leads to the story being all the more fun to keep reading.

Yeah, the manga does not do a great job of making you care about him at all.

Naruto has the strongest start, but OP blows it out of the water once it gets going. Bleach's main draw was always aesthetics in my opinion. At its worst (Fishman Island) OP isn't as bad as Naruto or Bleach. It honestly saddens me that such cool designs like Hodie's crew got wasted on such a boring arc.

I agree with you, but I think for a lot of readers we saw Ace as Luffy's cool older brother. He was a nice guy, and looked out for him. Most readers were teens when he showed up so he was always cool to us. So seeing him die was still felt big.

Fishman arc was just there to show the upgrades everyone made over the timeskip.

FI gets a lot of hate mainly because it came after marineford and is the first place we get after TS. The arc didn't live up to its hype.

You really want to tell me Zou wasn't a good little adventure and WCI shaping up to be a great arc from start to finish from what we have seen?

Oda just really got in waaaaaaay over his head with Fishmen Island and Dressrosa. The guy is notoriously bad at estimating how much pages he will need for an arc

>Just gonna do this short little catching up arc to showcase their rise up in power and advance the metaplot
>Whoopsy daisy, Fishmen Island was a bit long, wasn't it, haha

>This is going to be this epic 1 year long arc that sets up a lot of new characters and sets Luffies foundation as an up and coming challenger in the new world
>Oh has it really been 2 years : ^)
>Good thing I am not a perfectionist workaholic that would be a lot faster if I wasn't permastuck at 30% efficiency because of years of non-stop overworking because remember kids, I am japanese we don't believe in things like psychology when it comes to work, brain capacity totally doesn't dip when you sleep drain yourself, that's why software companies that force permanent mandatory overtime churn out good and bug free software on schedule hahaha

I am literally more afraid that Oda is gonna die before he finnishes One Piece than I am of George RR Martin dieing before finishing the god damn books and leaving us with the disgrace that is the show, and that guy is a morbidly obese lazy ass grandpa that smokes.

they're all fucking dog shit. you know that certain main characters are invincible and the entire story is typically them doing the same cliche of gaining power/conquering/earning recognition

That's true for the timeskip as a whole. People expected the manga to start his second part as hard as it finished his first part. Which is just not possible. Now look, we are in WCI, an arc where the plot points have been started on FI and it's one of the best arc in the whole manga.

It works in OP because you want these characters to win. It makes moments when they suffer setbacks all the more powerful. Like no shit Luffy will win in the end. I and I'm sure most other readers want him to, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the ride.

Oda decided not to do any power creep beyond marineford. The players are all powerful, but they're not like Goku against Krillin. Without overpowered people, most power comes from alliances.

After the time skip the strawhats are playing on the world stage, so naturally we have a ton of characters. To remedy this, Oda is going overboard on the meaning of every saga - pay attention, everything that's happening since Punk Hazard is a chain reaction that will fuck the world beyond measure.

The tone was forced to shift so that the plot progression makes sense. What we see in WCI is a return to form: Oda decided that open war against the alliances take too much time, so future sagas will probably reflect a more special ops approach, with the strawhats going directly for the big baddy.

I don't expect another thing like Dressrosa until the final war against BB and the WG.

Yeah, but One Piece has the advantage of being structured like a proper classical epic hero story.

The hero is unbeatable and will win in the end, but that is not the point of the story. The point is how the hero interacts with and changes the world, until the world forces the seemingly unchanging hero to face such a stark challenge to his static values and characteristics that he needs to reinvent himself by reinterpreting what about those values makes him who he is. He changes a lot while still staying the same he allways was. This is called the Epiphany.

Luffy's big epiphany was Sabaody->Impel Down->Marineford. The story took some core aspect from him and let him run into a brick wall again and again and again until there was nothing about him left that wasn't broken.

It took his friends/crew(Kuma), it took his certainty that he couldn't loose(Kuma, Kizaru,Magellan), it took his perceived immortality and demonstrated his very real mortality(Magellan), it took his certainty that everything will work out in the end(Ace death) and it took his brother, the last real anchor he had.

After he had taken from him everything that made him the unstoppable pain train that the epic hero is, he had a total breakdown and became like a crying, suicidal little child.

If you have been paying attention after the time skip, you will have noticed how he has changed while still basically staying the same. He is not ALLWAYS as balls to the walls insane anymore, mostly when that would mean putting his crew in harms way. He doesn't ask everything that moves to join the crew anymore, he was extremely cautious and reserved even when inviting Jimbei, because he does not see this as a fun little game anymore but as a real danger to anyone he asks.

He expresses this big reinterpretation in a thousand little ways, that while he still has all of those aspects, they are now not self-serving anymore but all behind the end goal of building this crew that could take the OP.

Haven't watched Bleach in almost a decade and don't remember much at all.
But even if the high points of Naruto has a lot more of charm and artistic integrity (lol) than OP, OP never really got bad like the other two since it was always this pile of lazy dogshit carried by a somewhat likeable cast. With OP you always knew what you would get. Not that what you get was a good thing.

>JJBA
>receiving praises
El oh el. That discount HxH shitshow will never ever be good enough to deserve any praise.

Which other ones are above One Piece? Definitely not Bleach.

Meant for

His nakama were there, though. The only person he really cared about who was with Trebol was Robin, and he forgot she existed due to Sugar's Devil Fruit.

I don't think Gintama is better than OP. Personally I enjoy OP more, but think Gintama is great too. If was trying to be objective I'd consider them equals. They have different strengths. I get more of what I want from OP though.

>a lot more of charm and artistic integrity (lol) than OP
Examples? I can't think of anything in Naruto that made me feel as hard as the roof scene in Enies Lobby, or Zoro taking all the pain from Kuma.