Would pic related benefit from a superior remake, similar to HxH 2011?

Would pic related benefit from a superior remake, similar to HxH 2011?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tLBZaOENcMU?t=1m35s
youtube.com/watch?v=7Pp4nkyI0Bg&list=PLpZa5_1LTfx6fNHqBIi0_3oMH7VUAqXKi
youtube.com/watch?v=b3klj_jmde0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It'd be interesting if they decided to make the new one a 1 to 1 manga adaptation
but YYH is still a great series that doesn't need a remake

While it's true than YYH's animation has its share of problems, it's still watchable and superior to the manga version, so I don't really care.

No its ok as is now

The animation is incredible. Atsushi Wakabayashi? Akiyuki Shinbou's episodes? Lurk more, newfag.

It only gets good at the end of the Dark Tournament. It's below mediocre before it.

A remake could also fix the horrible phasing of the Spirit Detective Saga.

No, they would tone it down.

The music and art direction is something that shouldn't be changed ever.

YYH is the perfect anime

HxH 2011 was shit compared to the 99 version and I doubt a YYH remake without Shinbo would be worth anything.

>80% fighting tournaments
>best anime ever
fuck off

>3 tournaments out of 7 arcs
>one is almost completely skipped
>80%

>No, they would tone it down.
Most likely. They would make everything brighter, and would have to censor all the blood, corpses and cigarettes.

not really, its animation is dated but at least its finished

If they could add more SoL-ish character development episodes instead of withholding all the relationship building until the last arc of the show, write out all of the asspulls from the Sensui fight onwards, and properly flesh out the Three Kings arc, then yeah it could work.

No, It falls apart at the end of Sensui arc and then end with a wimpier because because Togashi was getting bored and burned-out with it. The anime couldn't fix that.

>Would pic related benefit from a superior remake, similar to HxH 2011?
Not really. I can't see any room in improvement. The anime already made a lot of changes that made it better than the manga. And the English dub made it even better.

Fuck no, YYH is one of the rare cases of shonen where the anime is better than the manga in just about every category. If I remember correctly it even improves on some of the writing near the end when Togashi just stopped giving a fuck entirely.

I really don't see why people want this series to get remade, the BD remasters look amazing and it covered all the source material. Is it just because HxH got one?

>remaking a show made with glorious cel animation with shit awful digital animation

Blasphemous.

Fuck no. We'd have more shitters than HxH and YYH threads would be forever tainted by newkiddies who can't handle a 4:3 ratio. Plus, the animation is guaranteed to be shit by default. You want YYH to be plagued by today's bullshit?

YYH's animation is nothing special outside of the big fights like Hiei vs samurai guy or Yusuke vs doctor guy. There are plenty of skilled animators today that could make some great fight scenes.

What would probably be lost is the dark, edgy 90s tone and creepy horror atmosphere. You'd end up with a bright, glossy cookie-cutter shounen aesthetic which would take away much of what makes YYH unique.

I will never understand what people like about YYH beside the games.

Story was a mess and the character all horrible.

>the character all horrible
the main cast, Toguro, Genkai, Mukuro, Sensui, Fisherman are good

It had a great balance between the light and dark scenes.

The show was great as is.

The YYH anime is practically nigh-perfect in terms of fidelity to the source material (with the exception of the early "ghost detective" chapters and some plot at the end of the manga). This isn't like HxH, where there are un-adapted arcs to be animated. The anime already properly adapted or even improved upon the manga, so there's nothing to justify a remake. The only thing missing from the 90s adaptation are the character interactions from the end of the manga but my assumption is that Togashi hadn't written that far at the time the anime concluded.

>It only gets good at the end of the Dark Tournament. It's below mediocre before it.
I don't know if I agree. The series looks equal to (or better) on-average than some other shows made during the period (cough Tekkaman Blade), which is impressive for a long-form series.
>A remake could also fix the horrible phasing of the Spirit Detective Saga.
The pacing was perfectly fine. If anything it was the manga that had terrible pacing, since it was bogged down by corny ghostcatching hijinks that the anime production staff wisely disposed of.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a remake but not only is there not much justification for one, but it's been so long I can't pos

It's just a reasonably well-made series with likable characters, good atmosphere and solid action. Yes, the story is little more than a thin pretense to lead the characters to their next battle (like every other shounen), but the arc-to-arc plots are entertaining. The characters are likable, well-characterized, and their personalities complement and play off of eachother nicely. Even the side characters (e.g. the girls, the Dark Tournament participants, the psychics in Chapter Black) are well-characterized. I can understand not liking the characters but "horrible" feels like an exaggeration.

The real problem is the ridiculous asspulls.

Sensui's "multiple personalities" was such a clusterfuck development though. It didn't add any kind of nuance to his character until the very end where it seemed like some part of him regretted his actions, but even then that could've been accomplished without him having to revert to that edgy deep-voiced murderer persona.

I did like the idea of him as someone whose empathy for other creatures made him turn his back on humanity, but his development was just so nonsensical it pissed me off.

I agree, it felt too much

The gun arm was so stupid it actually made me laugh a little

Currently reading YYH with a friend. On the first chapter. Hopefully togashi doesn't disappoint.

Holy fuck that was awful. And the aura bullshit, why the fuck is holy power a thing and where the hell did it come from?

Come to think of it, the series skirted a REALLY fine line in the end with getting you to sympathize with the demons. Like, we're supposed to believe that it was unjust and inhumane to kill all these demons (considering that's what made Sensui go crazy) yet as soon as someone opens a portal to the demon world, it's an invitation for them all to come and destroy humanity. Seems like it would be pretty fucking justified to kill demons who SUBSIST on devouring humans.

And do ALL demons need to eat people to survive, or just the three kings and their subjects? Would that mean Kurama and Hiei had to eat people to survive? Because that would be pretty fucked up and change perspective of those two.

I think at least not all of them need to eat humans
I mean, can you imagine Yukina of all people eating some poor guy?

You guys are critical of the manga / anime because you love it right... right?

Yeah, despite its baffling logic after the Dark Tournament saga it's still got my favorite cast of any shounen anime. And when it all comes together in the Team Toguro fight, it's really fucking good.

One just can't help but wonder what it could've been with more consistent writing and time for character development.

youtu.be/tLBZaOENcMU?t=1m35s

name a better shonen MC, go ahead I'll wait

Wasn't Togashi bullied by editors during YYH?

Do you enjoy the endless bitching over old vs new anime adaptions like FMA and HxH discussion? Because that's all that's going to come out of it.

It'll never happen so long as HxH is still running. Were they to do a remake of YYH, no one would touch HxH ever again, because why settle for shit when you're being handed gold at the same time?

The HxH anime already ended

The original anime is still amazing in its own right
Shows some age but its still really worth a watch
I don't think a remake is needed, I doubt they could even improve on it.

>What would probably be lost is the dark, edgy 90s tone and creepy horror atmosphere.
That's the point I'm making. I don't trust today's directors to adapt a 90's manga series.

Laughable, user-kun

Outside the main cast which is debatable, there's not a single thing YYH does better than HxH. Not one.

Practically the only other thing is having a better anime adaptation.

The ost would instantly be a downgrade
youtube.com/watch?v=7Pp4nkyI0Bg&list=PLpZa5_1LTfx6fNHqBIi0_3oMH7VUAqXKi

>Fuck no, YYH is one of the rare cases of shonen where the anime is better than the manga in just about every category. If I remember correctly it even improves on some of the writing near the end when Togashi just stopped giving a fuck entirely.
This is very true. Even early on the anime characterizes Yusuke way better than the manga. Compare this part of the anime with pic related.

youtube.com/watch?v=b3klj_jmde0

Not that user, but I tried getting into HxH. I stopped in the middle of the Zoldyck Family Arc. I really didn't care for Gon, he just seemed to be another kid Goku, and the artwork was awful.

It gets good at Yorkshin city arc

>YYH's animation is nothing special outside of the big fights like Hiei vs samurai guy or Yusuke vs doctor guy.
Haha you watched SEW's video too? Now did you actually watch the anime?

>Not liking tournament arcs
Literally the highlight of any shonen

Gon was made to be simplistic at the beginning because Togashi wanted to develop the villains more. But he does get his development in very subtle cues.

>SEW's video

What? Those are two of the better looking fights in the series and look expressive as fuck. That particular move of Hiei's looks trippy as fuck during that arc. It's almost jarring how much they stick out from the rest of the series.

Did YOU actually watch the series, or did you just turn your brain off for most of it? Because then you'd see it's a long-running shounen like any other, it looks basic as fuck with just moving mouth flaps and still images sliding across the screen until some major fights happen. It's very much of its time.

I might jump into it again, but just the 2011 anime since the manga looks like ass. I recently played J-stars Victory VS, and Gon was incredibly fun to play and had neat powers

Are you serious? YYH is the greatest long running shounen adaptation of all time. The chances of a modern adaptation even being half as good are slim to none.

I'm the exact opposite.

2011 doesn't appeal to me at all.

The anime wasn't perfect but it was damn fucking good. I highly, highly doubt a modern adaptation would look anywhere as good/appropriate.

I fucking love Yusuke

It's amazing how the anime cast had such a good grasp of Yusuke's character.

Especially in the dub

Just because a fight is heavily stylized doesn't mean it is better animated than other fights. Doctor wasn't even a major battle, no more so than the other Sensui Seven. Yusuke and Kuwabara vs the Toguro Brothers was well animated, Yusuke vs Sensui was, and so was Kurama vs Karasu.

>but YYH is still a great series that doesn't need a remake
/thread
>the decent animation
>the soundtracks
>the French dub
it really is very good as it is

Shounen*

Sensui was YYH's Aizen

Now that I think of it, the Yukina Rescue arc was full of good animation.

Are we even disagreeing? I never said it didn't have other well-animated fights, just that those two are standouts. Those other fights look fluid at points but there's nothing there that just isn't done today. The stylization of the series is what would be lost in a re-adaptation.

>Doctor wasn't even a major battle, no more so than the other Sensui Seven

I didn't mean "major" storywise, just that the best animation is saved for when something actually happens. You could also argue that fight was a very significant moment in Yusuke's development because he has to reckon with killing an actual human being, and the gothic horror vibe appropriately reflects how fucked up that is. Whereas fights like the sniper guy barely matter in the scope of the story (even though the truck chase was kind of cool) what with him getting instantly beaten by Hiei.

The Kurama vs the surgeon fight was striking as well (that fucking cherry blossom nuke), although I'm not sure if it's the animation as much as the art direction.

only if they remake the last arc to not suck

only if they up that age rating.

and for YYH, I wouldn't be terribly hard to do.

Thanks to that link I've just watched a bunch of english dub videos. I'm a BRfag and always thought my country's dub was pretty good, but Yusuke's english VA truly is amazing.

Also after watching these clips from the show I'm 100% certain the old anime should be left as it is.

luffy pre timeskip of course

>You could also argue that fight was a very significant moment in Yusuke's development because he has to reckon with killing an actual human being
I wouldn't disagree with this argument if not for the fact that he's literally revived on the next page

yosuke is good, but kuwabara sounds like a retard

>Ranma
>Ikki from Air Gear
>Lina from Slayers
>Soul from Soul Eater
>Ed from FMA
>Onizuka from GTO
>Harima from School Rumble
>Luffy from OP
>Medaka from Medaka Box
>Oga from Beelzebub
>Taiga from Mx0
are all good Shonen MCs but still not as good as Yusuke

Yes, and that reason is pretty much how we currently have Hiatus x Hiatus

youske is a shitty gary stu

>implying togashi isn't just a lazy faggot

I know it ends in a stupid deus ex machina way, but that's how it feels as it happens.

Same bullshit happened with Toguro and Genkai, having to revive her completely defeats the point of having Yusuke grow past blaming himself or Kuwabara's feeling betrayed that Yusuke hid her from death from him. You had all these very serious dramatic moments completely swept under the rug because Togashi had to find some way to continue the manga with her.

Kuwabara takes some getting used to but when you get over it, he's fine.

>Genkai dies
>comes back to life
>Kuwabara "dies"
>comes back to life
>Doctor dies
>comes back to life
>Sniper dies
>comes back to life
>Gamemaster dies
>comes back to life
>Yusuke dies again
>comes back to life

On one hand, Togashi being able to do whatever the hell he wants leads to the hiatuses which can drive you nuts.

On the other, Togashi is allowed such freedom while writing this series that keeps it consistently good all throughout.

It's a delicate balance.

It's a traditional battle shonen, I wouldn't give it too much flak for that.

except ant arc sucks ass just as bad as the last arc in yyh

I would, since people like to pretend like yyh is above other batalan anime

It is though.

Absolutely. I just wish they fixed Togashi's retarded inconsistencies and did the actual manga endind.

nope, it's just as shit

How original.

Ah well, thanks for telling me anyway user-kun

at this point I'm too scared for that to happen, remakes nowadays are not even hit or miss, they're miss every fucking time, and the 90's tone as another user pointed out made it have a perfect balance between the shounen and seinen barrier, with nowadays animation style it would be too bright for the tone it is set at.

>Fix togashi's retarded inconsistencies
>Do the manga ending
The manga had a huge plothole that the anime didn't have. At the end of the manga they explain that King Enma had low class demons brainwashed to attack the human world so that spirit world could look like protectors, which completely contradicts everything in the show up until that point

>tfw Kurama was the only one who didn't end up with a waifu by the end

There can be both brainwashed demons and naturally evil ones. Also, except for Yomi, all antagonists were semi-human anyway, Toguro, Sensui

So where are these superior batalan anime I haven't heard of probably because nobody else has either.

He's a family man.

Not even close

I dont think YYH needs a remake, but i'd like it to get one just to see all the people here posting about how good yyh's animation was, argue about a 1992 vs a 201x YYH anime adaptation.
Also
>2011
>superior
Pic related.

If that were the case, every single demon Yusuke faced would be naturally evil, which would be a huge coincidence, especially when the manga uses the brainwashing as an excuse to lift the barrier, whereas the anime basically just says that the new king would fuck up dissenters. It also contradicts the fact that 2/3 of the demon world kings wanted to eat humans, and that some demons naturally feed off of humans.

>all antagonists were semi-human anyway
>Hiei, Kurama, Goki
>Rando
>Suzaku, Seiryu, Byakko, Genbu
>The Toguro Gang, the Triad
>Team Rokuyukai, Dr. Ichigaki, Team Masho (barring Jin and Toya)

No, Togashi would get royalties no doubt. We need to starve him out and force him to write more HxH

Sensui's multiple personalities were fine imo, it works with him losing his mind, and how his other personalities aren't as strong, similarly to how Yusuke's emotions blocked off his true power. The only asspull that really got to me was Yusuke being a demon.

Anyone who thinks YYH is good didn't watch past the Dark Tournament

YYH's worldbuilding is really far from the best

But the chapter black arc was better than the dark tournament.

It was garbage and ruined everything good about YYH by introducing even more retarded ass pulls.

Outside of the resurrection, it was better than the Dark Tournament.

You people sound like nostalgiafags

The battles were unique, the big bad was better, the plot was better, the territories were cool and halted the power creep, the atmosphere was darker, and there was more character development. The only thing strikingly bad was the mazoku bullshit. The dark tournament is barely better than the maze castle arc.

Chapter Black is great until the actual figth with Sensui. They hyped so much the 7 personalities thing and we didn't even see them all and none except Kazuya got any actual development or even much screentime, well Togashi almost died or wanted to die around that time so I can't really blame him, but you can tell the exact point when he stopped caring and just wanted to finish it and decided to ignore or rework everything that had happened in the arc until that point, like shafting Kaito and the other allied pyschics. Territories were a great concept and the whole mystety with a time limit thing was spooky and well executred. Really, the weak parts are just Togashi about to die from exhaustion and are still better than another generic tournament arc.

>the territories were cool and halted the power creep
Are you serious?

It introduced Sacred Energy which was so overpowered it had to be outright forgotten until the very end of the show

Kuwabara didn't have Sacred Energy so I dunno why you showed his pic.

As for usage, it only seemed overpowered because it was far beyond the cast's level at the time. Outside of being able to bypass the barrier, any low S class demon could hand Sensui his ass.

>like shafting Kaito and the other allied pyschics
What? Kaito, seaman, and the guy with the weird hair went to the battle with Gamemaster, and Seaman stayed for the fight with Sensui. The guy with the shadow territory almost died in the fight with Doctor.