What is this thing? In S1E7 of Attack on Titan, Mikasa's on the ground with a titan closing in...

What is this thing? In S1E7 of Attack on Titan, Mikasa's on the ground with a titan closing in, and she wonders why she isn't giving up. It cuts to this thing, and then to a closer shot, which I'll also post. Does anyone have any idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rVjyCacsTL0
shingeki-kyojin.com/archives/27177175.html
wallsina-goodbye.tumblr.com/cruel-world-01
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Closer shot of the thing

a pomegranate

Ohh I think you right. Thanks user

Symbolism of the worst kind.

A JoJo reference

What does it mean though? In Greek mythology Persephone is stuck in Hades for 6 months a year because she ate six pomegrante seeds, giving us our seasons. It's considered a holy fruit in islam and it's mentioned several times in the bible. I know in chinese folklore pomegranates are associated with fertility. That's all the pomegranate symbolism I know. They don't seem relevant.

6 months in hell, 6 months freedom. Such is life.

it's the fertility symbolism you are looking for. Mikasa has a strong drive to live.

Is she pregnant?

A strong drive to impregnate Eren's fertile boypussy, you mean.

>americans don't know what a fucking fruit is
pottery

onions

To be fair, this is not a fruit that westerners would normally be able to see growing.

This thread is going places, glad i came in.

What does seeing them growing have to do with knowing it exists? I don't take a trip down to the local apple orchard every now and then to refresh my memory that apples exist.

If you don't know what a pomegranate is then you're probably a fat retard whose daily fruit intake comes from pizza tomato sauce.

>What does seeing them growing have to do with knowing it exists?
Growing up in Europe, the fruits I know because I have had first-hand contact with them are numerous, but I only really learned about pomegranates when traveling through Asia.
Apples look the same in stores as they do when attached to trees.
I've never seen a pomegranate in a local store. They come here as jam or juice.

>well you can't blame me for not knowing what an actual tomato looks like, I only know them in sauce form

No, I know tomatoes because I've seen them growing and I've seen them on markets and I've eaten them fresh.
Pomegranates are just not a western fruit.

Well you know what a pomegranate is so my insults don't even apply to you in the first place, so I don't know why you're trying to take them.

I don't know about Europeans, but Americans don't typically eat pomegranates. They aren't sweet enough for our tastes. I don't know if you can even buy them at most grocery stores. Availability of local crops does play a role. Common fruits here are apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, watermelon, pinapple and berries. More exotic fruits, even things like mango, papaya and guava just aren't on the menu unless we're going someplace tropical. Most people are familiar with pomegranates here through the bullshit pomegranate juice health trend.

I'm not taking your insult, I am correcting your misconception.
You can't blame people who live in certain regions for not knowing certain fruits.
What is disturbing however is that some Americans actually can't tell the difference between apples and tomatoes when they see them.
That's a different matter though. Both apples and tomatoes grow in America and are available fresh.
Pomegranates, to a much lesser degree. I imagine specialized shops may carry them. I've never bothered to actually search for them.

It's a granate

youtube.com/watch?v=rVjyCacsTL0

Didn't you pretty much just reinforce my original quip about americans though? Also if pomegranate juice is a trend in america then it's rational to assume people would be looking up what the hell they're drinking, considering how easily accessible the internet is. The only explanation is pure ignorance from being uncultured.

I saw a documentary(?) about kids and fast food once, and in it they interviewed some kids who did not know what a genuine tomato looked like but they did know what tomato sauce was. I imagine this to be the same type of sad idiocy displayed by people like OP.

Not everyone jumps on every over-hyped snake oil health trend. Most people don't.

>it's rational to assume people would be looking up what the hell they're drinking
Maybe if you don't know very much about humans.
Up until recently I thought coconuts grew as those brown, hairy things that you can buy in supermarkets.

You don't have to get into a trend to be able to look it up on google.

Well I know there are a shit ton of stupid/ignorant people in the world. Is it wrong to call a spade a spade?

But why would I look it up on google?
I don't need to know the specifics of olive tree farming to enjoy dishes made with that oil. There are hundreds and thousands of different things that I use daily and I cannot look them all up unless I give up my own personal interests.

Don't they? I thought the green ones were just young, and the brown ones mature.

The brown ones are inside the green ones.
It's like those Russian dolls.

It symbolizes a grenade, in French they're even the same word, the fruit is cut open because the metaphorical pin has been pulled.

>huh everyone's raving about pomegranate juice lately, I wonder what's up with that?
>maybe I should type "pomegranate" into google
Considering trends do in fact impact google searches and cause spikes in searches when they happen, it's stupid to argue that it's some huge commitment nobody bothers with considering everyone and their mother has internet access and the ability to type 1 word into google. It's like trying to make an excuse for not knowing kemono friends as it was airing; sure you could simply not watch it but you're really damn ignorant to not at least know it's a kemonomimi show with shitty CGI.

>Hell
If you define "hell" as spending 6 months with a really rich, loving, and doting husband, sure.

I don't know what kind of bumfuck, USA you live in, but here in a major city you can find pomegranates in grocery stores.

It's all withered, though. And a slice is taken out of it. Maybe that means Misaka's used goods.

Pomegranates are available in a lot of major grocery stores in the US.

I can't believe this thread is real

We Japanese say a pomegranate (Zakuro) tastes of human flesh.

Really? You must have some extraordinarily shitty pomegranates over there.

Yes, google "ざくろ" "人の味"
It's very interesting that you foreigners talk about this.
Only Japanese say that.

Oh now I remembered
That is originally Buddism story from India. 鬼子母神
shingeki-kyojin.com/archives/27177175.html

Oh.
Gross.

a pomegranate, stupid burger

pomegranate symbolizes human flesh

Are there grown fucking adults on Sup Forums that don't know what a pomegranate is? Are you serious? I bet you don't even know what a tomato looks like you idiot.

>Tag
look at where you are

OP here. Good to see argument has broken out in my basic question thread. Maybe I can shed some light on the situation by describing my background.

I'm 19, about to finish up my first year of college, and I've grown up in the midwest. My mom has always handled the grocery shopping, so I haven't been to the grocery store since I was pretty young. I know what all your standard fruits are - apples, bananas, grapes and stuff. I'm familiar with some weirder stuff, too. Star fruit, dragon fruit, persimmon, durian. I've always known pomegranates exist and that they're a fruit. I've just... never seen one.

I don't think it's that terribly unusual to be familiar with a concept without being acquainted with the thing itself. Take, like, movies for example. I'm sure you can think of some movie titles off the top of your head where you know what it's called but you don't know specifically what it's about. That has been my relationship with pomegranates up until now.

Does that make me uncultured? It might. I'm not really sure. I guess I've just never had a reason to know anything about pomegranates. No one ever sat me down and said, "This is a pomegranate, user." I never happened to encounter it and it's never been important enough to seek out.

So take that as you will.

A Titan egg. Once those embryos all hatch, humanity is doomed.

But my British friend didn't know a persimmon( Kaki).
I thought a pomegranate is not so famous in USA. Isn't it?

Dude, what? Even WALMART sells pomegranates. I'm pretty sure you can grow them easily in California, too.

I am Japanese, I haven't known a dragon fruit nor a star fruit until I went to Maldives.
It's usual.

I'm a burger and I've never seen a persimmon before. I probably wouldn't be aware they existed if not for Otoyomegatari.

plants have regions where they can't grow and from here
>I've grown up in the midwest
user has grown up in a region where pomegranates do not grow so it isn't really his fault for not seeing a pomegranate growing up

Oh, I have to leave. So I write my honest opinion.
In Japanese websites, many stupid Otaku wrote "In North Europe, a pomegranate means collapse, according to their mythmythology" .
But I think they are typical stupid Japanese.
I bet they don't speak even English. They read only cheap Japanese manga written in Shouwa(80's).
In 80's, if they write "In Europe...In USA...", people believed it. And they didn't recognize between Indian and American African in those days. After 2000, if stupid wrote "In North Europe...", stupid otaku believe everything.
So, the author wrote this scene from those stupid false rumors. Because I know Isayama can't speak English nor French.

So, what I mean is "go back to 80's, faggots!"

I think the most common association pomegranates have in western mythology is the story of Persephone, and perhaps as the forbiddin fruit, though an apple is a more common depiction. The story about Buddha substituting the flesh of children for a pomegranate seems much more relevant to Shingeki, but I'm not sure what it had to do with this scene in particular.

I live in the Midwest. Not even a large city. We have pomegranates at Walmart. They're not worth buying outside of pomegranate season around like November, but we have them. OP has just never been in a grocery store.

I bet if Isayama used an Akebi, everyone wrote "what is this fruit?" .

Yes, Buddha story is that. Thank you.
I have to leave. I wrote here for the first time in 10 years, good bye.

156923491 is for you, sorry.

Goodbye ESL-kun.

stuck in hell for 6 months?
reminds me of the dream she had in the lost girls spin-off, it was just at this time
wallsina-goodbye.tumblr.com/cruel-world-01

You're right, they're never hairy. The husk goes from green, to yellow, to brown as they mature.

After you take off the husk they're always hairy, and go from light brown to dark brown as they mature.

No she doesn't. Mikasa literally only lives for Eren's cock.

She was ready to murder him if he admitted liking Annie back then.

How did this thread take this long to post this

We don't browse the same forums as you.

>people in iceland and alaska literally kill themselves because they dont see the sun for a couple months
>6 SIX S I X months in lifeless, colorless skele land isnt hell
fucking mgtow robot

her wishes will be granited

This poster is a hidden gem.

Thanks for giving me a semi, user.

According to my friend(she is a professional writer), a novelist Mayumi Nagano first said "a fig and a pomegranate have meaning" 20-30 years ago.
After that, many Japanese writers and artists started this. According to my friend.