Cutting your hands while cooking

how does this manage to be such a common jap trope?
is it required for samuri to only eat food that is prepped while also juggling knives?
is nippon steel so sharp that it can cut you just from looking at it?

Tropes are moe.

>whatever I see in (((((ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA))))) is reflected of the country it was created in.

BEST GIRL.

I want to fuck her

>hand is undamaged after that huge chomp
Either Xeno-chan's teeth are made of soft tissue, or her saliva can regenerate flesh insanely quickly.

It's a plot device. "hey I like you and I want to cook for you, but I can't cook for shit. Watch me do my best, cut my hands, get frustrated, and hate myself (cry maybe) while whatever I'm cooking looks like a witches brew"

Kumika is cute CUTE!!!

i want to feed her

Have you ever tried cooking, OP?

Especially when you are starting out, it's fairly common to do something stupid and cut yourself with a sharp knife, burn yourself on a stovetop or oven rack, or something similar. It's generally nothing minor and not something that happens every time, but it's a learning experience just for assuming things are less dangerous than they are and not taking the proper precautions. You tend to learn quick from bleeding cuts and blisters.

The trope just takes this up to 11. The character is supposedly terrible in the kitchen, but they insist on continuing to work hard at it and thus injuring themselves multiple times in the effort. It's silly and unrealistic, but so are a lot of similar over-the-top tropes.

It's really no different from somebody coming home covered in bandages and casts from a hazardous recreational activity like skiing. Reasonably speaking, the first time you broke an arm, you would've been hospitalized and stopped. It's a silly idea that a person would continue to ski in that condition and break even more limbs, even if it is overused for dramatic effect.

It's a trope, but it's not that bad. Cooks, novice or not, cut their hands occasionally.

If it were burning (grabbing a hot pot, touching hot edges, etc.) or cutting yourself while handling something hard to handle, it'd make more sense.
But the typical shit of cutting yourself while chopping potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and super easy shit is just dumb.

KUMIKA IS MADE FOR FILLING BELLY WITH HAPPINESS

This paged confused me.
I cook pretty often, I've even made the fucking food they're making in this chapter, and I just don't understand how the fuck she managed to cut her knuckles like that.
Sure, the tips of her fingers, and maybe her palms, but how the fuck do you get a cut that high up cutting cabbage?

>There's also bruises
the cabbage is bullying her.

Cerebral palsy, essential tremors and epileptic seizures that only occurs during cooking.

If you can't tell from their retarded knife design and that catspaw dumb shit that doesn't protect you or keep the food in place, the problem is that nips are retarded and cut themselves a lot.

don't know if theis is accurate apprently they have a technique where they form thier hands into kitty palms so thats probably why

Depends on the knife, a good one can reach the bones in your fingers and you won't even notice intil your blood is smeared everywhere.

That's just how you cut while preparing food though. It's a real technique the Japs just love making things sound way cuter than they are. If she knows the palm thing she knows proper knife safety which is done specifically so you don't cut yourself. Which is OP's point.

Anyone with basic knife safety training wouldn't cut themselves the way is shown in most anime. It would be in a very serious way that would need a trip to the hospital immediately and probably caused by a dull knife and frustration of the cook.

That still doesn't explain the cuts on the fingers where they are. Those parts on the second section after the fingertips would be the ones holding the food in place. So unless she cut horizontally while she would have been told to slice down (which would fit the clumsy persona) than I don't know how she managed that particular injury.

>That's just how you cut while preparing food though.
not me

>probably caused by a dull knife and frustration of the cook.
and probably nervousness and not being patient.

I'm sure it was a very touching and strong moment, whoever did it first
So people copied it.

Can I have sauce, I'm on my phone.

bump for sauce
>newfag
>lurk more

Kumika No Mikaku
lurk moar

I fucking hate this trope. The idea is cute but the way they do it is fucking retarded. I was never taught any sort of proper knife handling techniques and I very rarely knick myself. You just have to be slow and careful. The one time I did cut myself I nearly sliced off a chunk of the side of my finger. Mostly I just get small burns and once a vegetable peeler took off the corner of my thumbnail. But those little fucking cuts they manage to get on mulriple fingertips, on both fucking hands no less, is dumb and takes me out of the work.

Clumsiness is moe. Clumsiness + knife =_______