The Art of Lip Sync

Why is it that generally Japanese animators give accurate/expressive lip sync a low priority?
Do most Japanese-speaking anime consumers not mind? If so, why?
Is it still industry standard to record dialogue second? If so, why?

Look at this WebM, it looks like she's just flapping her mouth saying "bah bah bah" over and over. It's just one example I picked at random, rightfully called cherry-picking, but it's from a highly-regarded feature film. Walt Disney Studios was doing better work in the 1950 on animation directed at children.

Okay it saves costs, but is this level of quality really acceptable? How do people glance over this?

Most people just don't care. Heck, I actually find realistic mouth movements a bit uncanny at times.

OP, you're part of a small and autistic minority that actually gives a shit. Most people don't.

The only people who give a shit about lipsync are animators and people involved in dubs.

But why don't people care? Why are the standards so low, even here where people mind like they're high class and have acute taste and can tell good from bad?

Are you retarded? Being on top of schedule is one of the most important tasks for studios. Do you really think animators have the time and the drive to spend drawing mouths lipsyncing to what the voice actors say? They're already super busy with having to draw every frame for each episode while working until exhaustion with minimal pay. The studios don't care whether or not there's perfect lipsyncing as long as they finish their episodes on time.

Because the audio is recorded after the scene is animated so there's no track to sync it to. Also, it's easier and most people don't notice.

Try Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu (Tweeny Witches). As I recall, they bucked conventions by recording dialogue first, then animating.

As a result, almost every fucking time someone's talking, the camera is pointed at absolutely anything but their mouth. But hey, when they do bother with the animation, it looks pretty decent.

Anime production operates with the philosophy that production begins with the most time-consuming element, i.e. animation itself. This means that the animators have already begun working by the time voice recording starts. Western cartoons typically record voices first, so that the animators can lip-synch, which makes for a more time-consuming, and thus more expensive production schedule.

>If all the characters are doing is the equivalent of flapping "yaba yaba" then what difference does it make what language is dubbed in?
nigga pls

Bah bah bah is better than quality reduction in the rest of the show for overly animated lips which would actually be a distraction.

effort to reward ratio is not worth it

Anime is the art of limited animation. It's why handdrawn 2d animation is still a viable industry in Japan while dead everywhere else.

I see the retard mods are enforcing conformity again.

Anyone? Why don't people care?

money, disaster for schedules, and not really needed for tv anime

What? Why would they be a distraction. That's like saying that if the sound of heels hitting the floor was in synch with them actually doing it would be a distraction. It's the complete opposite.
I think people do care. But ultimately if the work is immersive enough it won't stand out that much.

You're comparing to disney, but Disney had huge budgets especially compared to a studio like Madhouse which made Perfect Blue. The film cost 100 000$ while Hercules by Disney from the same year had a budget of 85 000 000$. On top of that Madhouse would work under a tighter schedule since they would also be working on several tv shows at the time.

I'd still take Perfect Blue over Hercules, even in terms of pure visuals with its unique direction and animation.

Something has to give when they have limited time and money to work with. These scenes are pretty much 'downtime' for the animation to conserve resources.

It does annoy me and I watch subs, I can only imagine what it's like watching it as a fluent speaker.

Do you not understand how an anime production works? The audio is recorded AFTER.

Not gonna lie it legit catches me off guard when a proper lip sync is done, and I end up re watching it a few times.

>Is it still industry standard to record dialogue second? If so, why?

Voice acting is usually recorded to really rough animation.

I don't even look at people's mouths IRL when they speak, everyone looks at the eyes.
In fact, by eye tracking line of sight of autists with some kind of apparatus, they've found out that they can't decipher expressions because they don't dare look people in the eyes and fixate on the mouth.

Real life isn't like your chaste cartoons.