Flip Flappers

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/binobinobi/status/862339849746960384
nag-nay.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/05/05/181955
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In my opinion, nothing. Now let the memeposting begin.

Original anime that:
1. lacked promotions
2. done by a relatively new studio without a single hit or even decent-selling anime (all of 3hz's anime so far have flopped)
3. weird artstyle
4. no big names (except maybe ZAQ and M.A.O)
5. no manga/LN adaptations to promote the show
6. little-to-no merchandise
7. too "deep" for anyone but hipsters and the show's fanbase

3Hz really dropped the ball with promos, Hopefully they learned their lesson and apply it on Princess Principal, I don't want to see a creatively ambitious studio like them go under

Not much, it's one of my favorite anime. Story arc wasn't as fantastic as the rest, which is still better than 90% of anime that gets shat out, but for some reason became a shitposting target.

The other thread is still up
>

At the rate they're going, they'll turn into the next Manglobe unless they do a MAPPA and start doing fujo shows.

Aired on the wrong season

The madoka tripfags started posting in these threads

I thought it was really good, the first like 3 episodes are slow but it's beautiful and picks up a lot during the second half. No one knows about it though it seems.

>too "deep" for anyone but hipsters and the show's fanbase
>too "deep"
Dumb tripfag makes a good joke again.

The other thread has too many good posts compared to sales shitposting now.

It just pandered to me too exclusively. Nothing else.

That means you're supposed to by an equivalent number of BDs.

Legitimately though, that is a problem that the demographic it pandered to was so niche, I don't know how they thought it would sell.

Just started watching, only 3 episodes in
Nothing went wrong for me yet
In fact it's refreshing to have an anime that makes me say wth japan in 2017

>Cockona

That was our impression here when it aired, but without digging into psychoanalytical interpretation the interest in what the show was on the outside diminished after episode 8.

Japan has garbage taste and ignores great works that take risks, instead gobbles up pure trash heaps like Yuri on Ice and Madoka

those are both good shows, though, and flip flappers was a mess

>Flip Floppers

Princess Principal has Ichiro Okouchi as script writer it's already certain to fail and be a disaster

>greentext and memeface
FlipFlap haters, everyone
YoI is only good if you're a fujo or an SJW who cares about retarded LGBT representation agendas

The show becomes bootleg kill la kill end (which is already bootleg re:cutie honey) and just turns to shit. The fun adventures are over.

You posted this in the other thread.

Mainly to prove that we don't need two threads with the same people shitposting about the same tired show, the ending sucked balls and im that salty

Go be salty somewhere else. Like hell.
And stop bumping these shit threads.

There is a good chance that you just perpetuate this meme of the ruined ending for the sake of shitposting.
>to prove that we don't need the same two threads
>let me post the same thing again instead if letting the thread die
Good plan.

Flipflapfags are Sup Forumsermin? That's interesting.

Rushed ending where the villian comes seemingly out of nowhere and ruins the antagonist they spent the whole first 2/3 of the show setting up out of nowhere. If you watch again there is no proof the end fight is going to be who it is. Really sucks too because it had a strong first 2/3.

Are you going to make one of these every single day?

>present since episode 1
>out of nowhere

No the fact she would come into the show was present but not as the villain. It honestly feels forced when learning the backstories and ruins the interesting plot they had set up with the two rival groups just to have this beat the mother plot.

I found the character development pretty predictable and lackluster.
Unfortunately that's what most of the episodes focused on instead of fleshing out a lot of the neatly designed worlds to be more than pretty backdrops for the weekly McGuffin chasing.

Fighting the mother archetype is much more interesting than generic evil cult with evil plan and it was on point with the psychological themes it built. It also wouldn't have it's own mysteries justice.

The main characters are shallow archetypes seen hundreds of times, their interactions are unauthentic and uninspired, and aren't enough to carry the show.
The over reliance on subtext while neglecting actual writing and characterization just screams juvenile unwarranted pretense. The director should have considered learning something from Utena rather than filming what was basically just sniffing his own farts.

I'm fine if they wanted to make a show about fighting the mother but they spent a majority of the show with a different premise and changed who the main characters were fighting immediately. The cult was only there to job hard as fuck which felt like pretty weak writing.

This is definitely part of it.
Yuri fans were already pulled into Hibiki2 and Izetta, the casual anime fans were ALL taken up into Yuri on Ice, Mahou Shoujo fans were watching Raising Project (and FLFL's mahou shoujo elements weren't apparent until ep3), and the people looking for something wierd and confusing were watching Occultic;Nine.
All of FLFL's attractive aspects were also present in other, better-advertised shows in that season.

Everyone agrees that the first 8 or 9 episodes are god-tier. I still loved the last 4 episodes as well but that was the cutoff line for most people.

/u/ ruins everything

Flip Flappers still gets a bingo.

/thread

Laffing at how pretentious your mini-review is.

What's pretentious about it?

Probably nothing, I probably used the wrong word. I just can't help but imagine you as a chain-smoking, balding hipster from the way you write.

Not bad for a show that he didn't direct

I'm a different guy though.

It was always a show about "fighting", which means overcoming, Coconas mother as a means of sexual development and rite of passage. The show was about that from episode 1 onwards.

Last episode was anticlimatic and the fight wasn't that good. Was hoping we'd see something that would top the episode 3 fight scenes. Due to the final ep, I can't call this show a masterpiece, it only gets a 9 out of 10.

That wasn't my fucking image
MOOOOOOT

>Due to the final ep, I can't call this show a masterpiece, it only gets a 9 out of 10.
Dropped, I only watch masterpieces.

>What went wrong?
It's what usually happens when you make a bad anime.

To be fair a fist fight with rock music in the background would be completely out of place, and they really tried to start the episode off with some action and did as good as they could in the little time they had. I remember the tweet of Oshiyama buying his animators noodles in the middle of the night.

I will go buy this book to a bookstore today.
Please look forward to the report

Apparently Oshiyama did most of the cuts for the final episode himself and went 3 days straight without sleep to get them all finished.
The absolute madman

Most anime would get a bingo on that chart.
Is that the joke here?

Yes, please share the Flip Flappers info with us

twitter.com/binobinobi/status/862339849746960384
Oshiyama

It really was a passion project, wasn't it?

Cocona and Mimi having a fistfight before a blank PI backdrop while Serendipity plays in the background is everything I wanted out of the finale.

What we got was okay too, I guess.

I think this would be better if Papika was like "hell yes dyke"

Must post scans.

I greatly enjoyed the earlier, episodic parts of the series. Each episode was a well executed adventure circling around what felt like a common theme.

However, I didn't feel the last five episodes were able to bring everything together to a satisfying conclusion. It meandered and seemed padded out with things like Nyunyu and a lot of pointless fight sequences.

>last five episodes
>five
You realize this includes episode 9, right?
That was by far one of the best episodic, and still squarely in the realm of episodic adventure even though it was more dramatic than many of the previous ones. I never understood why 9 got lumped in with the final arc despite not actually being a part of the final arc.

If I had to guess, it would be because episode 9 also has a very serious tone, just as the Mimi arc does, and although it takes place in Pure Illusion, it's a rather bland and unexciting Pure Illusion.

Nine signaled the beginning of the messy bits. It was fine as an episode itself, but I wasn't so keen on the events stemming from it down the line.

Why did it have to have gay skating anime on the cover? I'd have bought it if it had Flip Flappers cover.

Kinda rushed and the plot twist wasn't that good. Still loved it though.

Because Flip Flappers was very niche, while gay skateboys was extremely popular.

>why did it have the most popular top seller of the season instead of an extremey niche show with extremely low sales in the cover?
Gee, I dunno. Why would that ever happen?

I can see the cover Papika and Cocona
Do not you see it?

Remember when Sup Forums was speculating that Uexkull would be the final boss?

Doesn't stop other (doujin) magazines.

We require more scans.

Okay, this is the official abstract nag-nay.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/05/05/181955 (ignore the date)

Why does Yayaka stand like this?

This is a secret, but in reality I have that book

Still only one doujin scanned

>Capital, culture, technology animated / absurdity and anime puns specials
Looks hype as fuck

She needs space between her legs for her huge cock

Take it easy. FF is too self-contained to have a lot of doujin potential. I'd rather see more critique like above.

The characters were annoying as shit which made it impossible to like them

That's absurd. The show even gave us several PI concepts that weren't used, which make for excellent doujin fodder. The single scanned doujin even makes use of one, but there's certainly more room there.

It's not getting doujins because it wasn't popular, not because of a lack of potential.

It flopped instead of flapping.

The characters are fully developed. They left the audience on their own journey. All is wrapped up. Doujins usually need a context of unfinished or continuing development.
Also, PIs are hard to develop. For the most part PIs are not fantastic worlds for exploring. They are character analysis devices.

Where? Did I miss something?

Sodium Vapor Lamps

It was yurishit.

They don't buy BDs, imagine it had boys instead of girls.

narutolovehintata5 to the rescue with completely retarded opinions.

Fire Code Violations

animal sidekick?

Stock footage was used for the henshin sequences as they recurred after episode 3.
The red haired playboy appeared in episode 7.

Does orange hair count as red? I didn't cross off the stock footage since they only played the full henshin once and the shorter version maybe twice or so. But you're right.

Best boy had pink hair.

>People as objects
Mimi's shards then

Not the same thing.

Mimi's shards are literally shards of Mimi. What.