What is it about katana that make the wielder so motherfuking cool?

What is it about katana that make the wielder so motherfuking cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_CZqNwakCUE
youtube.com/watch?v=9AZsyNGPVXg
youtube.com/watch?v=NpYqFJxVuBc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

your fedora

They can be your angle or yuor devil.

You being 14 years old.

It's cool but the sword is shit.

Spear > Katana

That opening was the 2nd best part of the show. Imouto was the best part of it.

How can western swords even compete?

This.

For me, it's the trusty spear. The best medieval weapon of choice.

number 5 from the left, the fuck is that???

Folded over 1 billion times

>Yuu
>cool

Fair enough

Looks like a nagamaki

The American Civil War had already ended when the Japs abandoned the sword. A lot of its appeal comes simply from the fact that it was still used in the modern era and as a result a lot more stories of it still exist.
Had people still been running around with rapiers, long swords, or zweihanders in the 1800s with any real effectiveness then other swords might be more popular.

Muh nigs

>rapiers
a best

There's no exoticism factor with those swords. That's why katanas and samurais and ninjas are so cool to Westerners and partly why Bleach and Naruto took off in the West.

the weapon bradley had was pretty boss. closest thing to what I think it might be is a rapier. theres just something about having a hand guard that just so sexy. seriously I wonder sometime why more anime/manga dont show them cutting the thumb off a fodder.

He's cool

>this thread

i am the darkness

By being made from high quality middle-European steel that does not need to be folded a bunch to be clean, unlike the sparse amount of steel on the Japanese islands that was shitty, but had to be used since they had nothing else.

Also, by constantly being improved and adjusted due to the ongoing arms race that was the European middle-ages, rather than not being changed at all over multiple centuries (!) since the Japs were at peave and there was no use for swords.

Also, no crossbar, have fun losing your hands.

You have an incredibly shit taste.

I liked katana because they are used by fast/agile characters that is until I saw Bradley's sword.

Why do katanas upset some people?

It's actually the other way around

There are a lot of 14 year olds who hate katanas because they think that it's a fast track to being a grown up. Also geeks/fedoras like katanas and they don't want to be geeks.

Why not both?

why is the handle as long as the sword?

>lunge spear at my trusty shield
>gets stuck and struggle to pull out
>your face is already eating my short sword
wow that was easy

Bradley could wield Greatswords and could still be agile somehow.

Katanas have a certain dramatic flair, but I think knives are cooler in action.

youtube.com/watch?v=_CZqNwakCUE

Leverage

A knife is literally inferior to a katana in every way.

You call that a sword?
Looks like a butterknife.

Not really.
Try to hit someone with a katana at an arm's length and you're going to get fucked because there is no room to swing.
Same for closed spaces, thrusts are only so useful.

Xehanort pls go

I didn't say it was a better weapon. I said it looks cooler.

And knives are lighter and easier to maneuver

a knife is usually an assassin's weapon or for short or weak characters. so no they are not cooler in action plus its makes the person using it have to be a lot more agile and fast to close the distance compared to a katana
you do know there are short ranged katanas right? stop trying to shill the knife.

But the lantern shield is the ultimate cool-guy weapon.
>fighting techniques included soaking your opponent in lantern fluid and then setting them alight

Yuu is not cool, he's adorable.

>short katanas
elongated knifes*

It's an elegant weapon even if it's not as effective as its reputation became over time.

Not even Fedora but Katana are super aesthetic, especially wakizashi IMO.

>Don't lunge with spear against sword&shield opponent
And just like spear wins.

Why do people pretend like the katana isn't aesthetic as fuck?

It can cut well but that is about only thing that it does better compared to regular straight sword.

Because it's outdone in it's only aesthetic by a scimitar, and then scimitar does everything better than katana.
Katana is the Gustav Schwerer of melee weapons.

Isn't that what swords are supposed to do?

Yeah but the difference is so minuscule that you're better with a straight sword since it has less chance of being fucked up and can take a moderate beating compared to a katana.

>short ranged katanas
kys,those are not a thing

>knife is a assassins weapon
kys again

>Faggots bring a katana to a duel.
>I pull out a gun and end it in less than a second.
How can sword and bow fags even compete.

>>short ranged katanas
>kys,those are not a thing
But every katana is a short range weapon :^)
>>knife is a assassins weapon
>kys again
It's the preferred weapon(Easier to carry, wield and conceal, that sort of things), but then it's still the weapon of chefs or angry housewives.

You're wrong, though. Katanas are way more aesthetic than a scimitar. I'm not going to comment on the weapon quality because I actually know jack shit about that, but the looks of the katana and it's context beats the scimitar aesthetically.

I agree, Scimitars are fucking amazing. Thing is, most of the world dislike sand people and their history. That always plays a part in something like this.

>accidentally set your own shield on fire

oops

I think because it is long, curved and thin.
The scimitar is somewhat similar and also looks baller as fuck.

relatable autism

Thats not true though, if you read anything about history, most assassinations are by guns or plain swords.

>accidentally cut yourself with your blade

oops

Most fictional wielders are too showy and/or embarrassingly edgy.
As for the sword itself, a great mix of curvy, decorated beauty and deadly efficiency.

Hit them in the face/chest with the pommel and backstep/draw slash.
Or just have a wakizashi with the katana like a reasonable warrior.
Honestly, you don't have to unsheath a katana to kill or harm with it.

Mostly true(depends on setting)
While great at being a longsword with stabbing capabilities with light weight(mixed blessing), it's durability, low stopping power and complexity in use make it a bit less practical than a standard European longsword or yari/spear
Spears don't fair as well against multiple opponents due to the comparably lengthy withdrawal time from one enemy to the next when out in the open and heaven forbid they get in close.
Personally, I like the naginata for being a bit of spear and sword.

Yeah but, curved swords dude, CURVED swords.

only in this particular shot

Slightly curved swords > very curved swords

>Personally, I like the naginata for being a bit of spear and sword.

That's a girls weapon

What is it about scythe that makes smug lolis looks so motherfucking cool?

you also want to stab. and avoid bending. of course it always depends on what you're attacking. if you just want to cut arms off peasants a katana probably is a great tool.

I want to find whoever it was that first started using scythes as weapons and kick them in the dick

Grorius Nippon Steer, Forded Over A Thousando Timesu!

Yes hello, this is Death.

>you will never see those warriors from Hammerfell

Checked.
Katana= Slightly curved the entire length
Scimitar= Slightly curved on one end, very curved on other.
There fore Scimitar>Katana

I don't think he'd appreciate it much.

>yfw it's some poor farmer cutting grass that got jumped by a bandit or something and had to use the scythe.
Fuck you dude.

Katanas are objectively less terrfying than a scimitar, no one looks at a katana and associate it with chopped limbs and severed heads as much as they would with a scimitar.

everything can be made to look cool if you can just ignore physics

>The scythe and pitchfork, farming tools, have frequently been used as a weapon by those who couldn't afford or didn't have access to more expensive weapons such as pikes, swords, or later, guns. Scythes and pitchforks were stereotypically carried by angry mobs or gangs of enraged peasants.[1] The process usually involved reforging the blade of a scythe at a 90 degree angle, strengthening the joint between the blade and the shaft with an additional metal pipe or bolts and reinforcing the shaft to better protect it against cuts from enemy blades.[citation needed] At times, instead of a scythe blade, a blade from a hand-operated chaff cutter was used.
attaching the blade in a forward way is the important part which people often overlook.

Also, the Grim Reaper imagery probably played a role.

Death doesn't use his scythe as a weapon, his is a representation of his duty as a literal reaper of souls. He doesn't go around picking fights

Using one as a makeshift defense item is hardly the same thing as using one as your main choice of weapons.

Oh really? And even if it's true, it's just because sandniggers still behead people to this day using scimitars.

What about a kusarigama

The factt that you can use it to murder unarmed, unarmored peasants really well.

Guan Daos are the hypest shit, too bad the Nips dont think so

>He doesn't go around picking fights
You don't know that, he might be going to beat the shit out of people but everybody is such a jobber they just fall over dead when he comes close.

You're missing the point.

Scythe used for harvest -> Grim Reaper imagery (harvest of the dead) -> Association with Death -> weapon for edgy characters, bonus points if they call themselves reaper or something to that effect

But plenty of people like to pick fights with him. I'm sure at least one person challenged him in armed combat.
youtube.com/watch?v=9AZsyNGPVXg

At least they're appreciated in Runescape.

Reminder that the Ji is objectively the greatest weapon of all time.

It's the person and the katana being wielded seen as a show that makes up the visual appeal. Not the weapon itself.

Don't believe me? Imagine Steve Urkel wielding a katana

Handsome or nerd one?

And its sexy as fuck, whats your point?

See
The scimitar trades some of that functionality for pointless (pun intended) excess curve. Katana maintains better thrusting capability and in my opinion has better decor:
Handguards are each a work of art
Grip has cool metalic accents and that diamond pattern wrap.
Steel is often mirror finish with a stunning wood grain pattern and hamon(temper line)
Sheath is glossy and functional as a weapon.
The balance of beauty and functionality puts it on another level than scimitars.

What, are you fighting wheat?

Dual Wielding melee weapons are for faggots. Anyone who does it is a faggot no exceptions.

>no funnels
7/10

Why would you assume I have no shield myself?

And if I'm too poor to afford proper gears for myself why would I even consider stalking and assaulting someone with a better build?

But the Katana was functionally obsolete by the end of the 16th century.
People carried sabers sround until well into the 19th century and it doesn't come close to the popularity of the katana.

i blame kingdom hearts two for making me autistic about duel wielding.

duel wielding dagers is alright.

Real man's Sword, coming through

Well fuck you.
Musashi is a cool guy.

You talkin' shit 'bout Musashi, boy?

>He can't into Niten ryu

Musashi is rude and a filthy cheater who used psychological technique to psyche out his opponents in what were supposed to be honorabru 1v1 me fgt duels.

>Kindome hearts
>DU-EL WIELD

youtube.com/watch?v=NpYqFJxVuBc