Why has there been no innovations in housing construction at all?

Is it (((them)))?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GUdnrtnjT5Q
hooktube.com/watch?v=_3orTPHV9DI
youtube.com/watch?v=xktwDfasPGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There have been. Lumber is too cheap to compete with.

>Why haven't space age materials manufactured in a lab supplanted concrete, wood, and iron produced for cents on the pound
Gee idk. It's almost like you don't need to shell out the big bucks for consumer grade buildings that will probably be torn down within half a century anyway

There are but they just aren't widespread enough to have much of an impact. You need to create a culture around the architecture. That is why Tiny homes are the biggest things to hit homes, they create a culture along with their innovation.

There have.

They've 3D printed small houses

"Tiny homes" are the most retarded fucking nonsense to ever exist. Just by a fucking modular home and pocket the other 90% of your budget.

Dude, there are 3D printed concrete houses.

they will be 3d printing houses soon enough

Like first user said, lumber is stupid cheap and basically when hooked with plastics makes a house that lasts long enough. If you have a cheaper solution that provides the ease of repairing, modification, and setup time go to work.

And those 3D houses are absolute shit in insulation, ever needing to repair, and contracting/expanding during winter months

The big "innovations" over the next decades are going to be coercing people to live together in bigger and bigger blocks.

Agreed. But you're just talking about being poor. And nobody wants to be a part of that culture.

It's still an innovation

So you can not have a concrete stronghold to go with your 2nd amendment. All houses must be wood so they can just simply burn it down.

Doesn't mean it's a positive one

i wouldnt say it is if its worse

take the CEB-pill user.

because you don't research there have been

what you should mean is why aren't they implemented

Nah. I own a small construction business, doing flat roof service work, like leak calls. It's a fucking racket. I get anywhere from $300 to $1200 a job. Mostly driving time. 90% of all commercial flat roofs leak, and it's an all year round job. Now i know i could build a roof thst will never leak. But why the fuck would i.

You must be a faggot who has never had dirty hands to believe this.
Sage.

Well what is it that you really want?

Innovations have no moved to the living arrangements in the house (appliances, interfaces).

But seriously, modern houses are super cheap (it's the land and permits that cost money). They are really safe, they are built in matter of weeks when developments go up, and last for well over a life time.

What exactly did you have in mind? Honestly curios, is there something im missing here?

My issue centers around zonning and planning issues which seem to be idiotic.

The whole point of innovating is getting better and building off what you learn.

hurr durr guys, flight will never take off just look at orville and wilbur that's insane they should be glad they're not dead what a negative innovation hurr

well i take his point that tract homes built in the 60's are by and large exactly the same as they build them now. HVAC, appliances, wiring have improved.

But im missing whats wrong. Houses are safe, cheap, and are built in a matter of weeks. I honestly dont really see the benefit if you could build them in a day.

Maybe something radical like expanding modular homes almost like those expensive RVs. Hmmm i jus dono

Mexican labor induced stagnation.

Innovation has almost entirely confined to the prefabrication of parts, which makes it easier to use unskilled Mexican labor.

How did you start your business?

What are you talking about? There have been massive improvements in insulation and construction in just the past few decades. Gypsum board instead of lath and plaster, Tyvek, synthetic insulation, double-paned windows, air recirculation.

Yeah, houses in America especially have gotten uglier and they're constructed with flimsier materials (because there are few craftsmen left who know how to build a high-quality house, and when you can find them, their services and materials aren't cheap), but that doesn't mean the technology hasn't advanced.

There is starting to be a resurgence in quality housing construction though. People are tired of McMansions. California especially is having a Renaissance for small, craftsmen-built homes right now.

The answer to this question will make you literally Hitler. I'm serious. It was the last piece of the puzzle for me.

quit being poor, faggot

If you want to see innovation in building, look to the cities. Construction of large, more permanent buildings is constantly evolving, because it is extremely expensive and they want it to last as long as possible. But there's just not a lot of reason to change up consumer house construction right now, it's already dirt cheap and holds up to anything short of an earthquake or tornado

youtu.be/GUdnrtnjT5Q

How would you build a never leaking roof?

Using tempered glass was my first thought. Copper lasts a long time but it certainly leaks within a lifetime.

Im curious as to what type of reasonable and aesthetically pleasing material that could face exposure to the elements the way a roof does would last forever.

mexicans are plenty skilled. not that any form of most residential construction in the US is difficult to learn, because it isn't, but there is a massive shortage of young white men willing to learn any of these trades and spics are all too willing to take their place.

do you specialize? is it mostly bitumen or tpdm or pvc? how many workers do you have?

>willing to learn
Most white americans don't even know what the professions are or how they might get into them if they felt the need, because construction companies have gone out of their way to skirt their legal requirement to seek american workers, because they'd rather hire transients for minimum or sub-minimum wage (who don't care because the money goes to mexico, where it's worth much more).

there have been numerous innovations in this space over the years user. It quite an active field. The reason why we're lagging behind though is because there arent enough mexican architects and engineers to draft blueprints. Which is why I support full sponsorship to bring more of our fellow mexicans over to the states to help us advance our crumbling infrastructure and housing.

>mexican architects
>>>>>mexican engineers
lmao

There has been. I'm a roofer and I've been seeing and working on new beautiful houses. Only fucking problem is - the roofs on the new houses are getting insane with the pitch. Half of them are walls, the other half are 12/18 with intricate details.

Next time don't blame ((())) if you're shilling for replies.

As a general contractor, there has been hundreds and hundreds of innovations. Its just that most developers don’t use them to build homes. Im in NYC and we still use lath and plaster for older high end apartments. I just finished up a job in the village, redid a bunch of long hallways in an apartment building, all plaster.

I have no doubt that 3d printing of houses will eventually begin to become a thing and overcome it's faults. It's like saying I found a new way to cut cheese by melting it. We are still far off in terms of 3D printing a house, to be reasonable to replace the current method, 15-20 years? maybe it will come down a lot to costs though.

nothing lasts forever. the most durable would probably be metal but those aren't flat roofs. flat roofs are not aesthetic at all and are made out of rubber, pvc, or asphalt generally

Kek, post an example of a Canadian roof

you go to trade school or start as a gopher for any contractor of your choice. it's no different then getting a job anywhere else except your using your hands

everyone but me gotta learn this tech is stupid.

So I get warned for making a thread about how appearance/looking cool is just as important for a political movement as the ideology itself, and this thread about architecture, which has nothing to do with politics in this context, stays up.

Great job mods

What's the point of even having a roof if it can't impale a giant?

when I drive arou d it often dawns on me how messed up and dated our community stucturinv in general is, our transportation systems, the grid configutation, the waste managment and above all our distribution system!

I thinm goverments need to build high tech cities from scratch!

Only innovation I've seen is new plumbing system that is tubes

That's just the thing, american kids aren't ever told that these jobs even exist, undergraduate training and the service industry are all that our school system shills, even to the dummies that can't hack it.

Yeah as this tech gets better it'll really disrupt many industries. Construction, loans, all sorts of things

well it'll be interesting to see if the technology is allowed to progress. There is a certain (((group))) who makes a lot of money off of mortages...and if house prices are halved...

this is a problem. people are taught that blue collar work is low class and you have to go to college

>Someone wants to use a new material
>But there's no standards for it in the building codes
>Can spend tons of time and money on engineering and tests and working with the government
>Meanwhile there's no problem with building using variable pieces of fucking wood
This fucking county.

There have been tons, lumber is just the standard due to being cheap and vinyl sided houses having a somewhat bad reputation
One big thing is flexible PEX plumbing is being used for a lot of new houses and it doesn't require cutting and splicing elbows and other parts when going around a corner/turn

>all these autistic STEM retards trying to push centralization in building from a labratory
buckminster fuller already tried and he failed. you stupid science fags are not tradesmen.

this
/thread

And just what's the fucking problem with wood?

these materials always meet and most of the time exceed existing code requirements, otherwise they wouldn't be able to market them. they are just expensive and most american homes aren't built with quality in mind.

I tell them

he is a stemfag who wants to get grants to promote polymer and resin framining studies for his lab and then consequently force it on builders to ruin 90 percent of the built environment

Hey don't blame all of us, I'm a molecular biologist and I have no issue at all with conventional house construction

It kills me inside to see houses made of shitty grade 2X4 and plywood and sold for 500k. There's no sense of permanence or planning for the future generations. Every one of these shit heaps will fall apart and be gone within 100 years.

Just look up manufactured homes, they generally are 50k or less for a 2 bedroom, buy a cheap plot of land and you can get everything for under 100k. Issue is that just like 3D printed housing is that repairing them, maintaining them, or the like can become more long term costly.

Don't get defensive. Was your mother a piece of wood? Or a tree?

This is completely true. Not to mention fasteners, and mechanical connectors are constantly improving, as well as lumber treatment techniques, drying techniques, ect. As far as fireproofing, there's denz glass, putty pads, gfci tech, and so on. It is true that production home sales are begining to decline, however solid, well built homes and additions (decks/barns/garages) are still selling very well.

the list goes on but you would only notice these things if they affected your trade specifically. for example cool roof systems used to be prohibitively expensive and now they are only 10% or so more expensive than regular roofing. you wouldn't notice something as small as a new type of fastener or an expensive tool like a drywall bazooka because you would never see it anyway unless it was your job

Anyone paying 500k for a sub-2k square foot home is paying mostly for the land and its location, not the house, which you would know if you ever owned a home. Other things you would know if you ever owned a home: You don't want one built over 100 fucking years ago.

its overvalued but there is literally nothing wrong with wood frame construction and people who say otherwise know ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING ABOUT BUILDING OR THE ENVIRONMENT'S EFFECT ON STRUCTURES IN THE UNITED STATES

>Why has there been no innovations in housing construction at all?

Here's an in depth answer to your question:

Garbage Warrior
hooktube.com/watch?v=_3orTPHV9DI

It's a fascinating documentary about a guy who wants to change the way we live by changing the architecture and the ridiculous battles he's had to wage just to experiment with new building design. If you're truly interested, this is worth the time to watch and is a perfect example to answer your question.

>Is it (((them)))?

All roads lead to Atlantis. In a roundabout way, isn't it always?

>building codes and housing regulations aren't politics
>housing market regulation isn't politics

heres a better video i found. looks like awesome tech. wonder how it will hold up to an earthquake.

No intelligent people care about home construction is why.

yeah hipsters always move into the old bungalows and then instantly tear up the insides and open concept the fuck out of them and put vinyl windows in as soon as the cunt has her first period in the house

forgot the link: youtube.com/watch?v=xktwDfasPGQ

How do they get the printer out of the house?

the average age of the board is like 15 now to be honest

it's mostly softwood with high water content because it's expensive to get it kiln dried and is prone to warping. couple that with drywall which is literally compressed sand between two pieces of paper and acts like a sponge when it gets wet. our homes are not built with lasting quality in mind. nobody builds homes like this

youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I

Wood frame construction is horribly inefficient for energy. You would know that if you have lived an anything except a trailer or a matchstick McMansion.

The 2x4 exterior wall doesn't meet code anymore. Also, the majority of homes with that brick all around? yeah it's still 2x6 and osb underneath. Concrete homes are actually well over 500k in cost and do suffer more water issues over time. If you want even more reason to avoid production homes, look up builtrite sheeting. It's litterally mdf

Since when is drywall sand?

The thing about manufactured homes is they lose value over time, similar with trailers.

If 3D printed homes fall apart easily they'll fall into the same value trap

at least they have a interest in politics, nope wait they are just here for the memes and to seem edgy... hopefully a couple develop.

what even is local government and council regulations.

>t. can't into architecture

architecture is philosophy, brainlet

youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ

Basically what you mean is that as soon as water touches it, it folds in on itself.

>Tyvek
my nigga

Great fucking OP. Yes it’s (((them))). Absolute no good reason for the excessive costs of construction and land. Absolute bullshit that is a huge part of why people like me are not getting married and having families. It’s too fucking expensive. Only complete morons have families whilst in perpetual rented accommodation.
>no security
>no asset to leave to your kids
This need to be called out loudly every fucking day because (((they))) are blaming the decline in western birth rates on everything but the truth. (((They))) have beeen pricing us out of the most basic shit for years now, in our own lands.

I agree with this user. People use their surroundings to solidify their identity. If you're living in a cookie cutter modular home that you know there are a million different exact copies of everywhere then it takes away from the specialness of what you have and you too feel like a souless cog in the machine.

nobody knows what the fuck gypsum is and it might as well be sand for how brittle it is

I don't get why this shit is pushed at all. A simple mold would do a better job than this, just arm the structure (oh yeah, it doesn't need to be strong at all - I forgot, sorry, keep printing) and pour it in. Or even better, just make the individual house sections in a mass production thing, make individual pieces that lets you attach them together for almost any shape of house.

This thing is just a fad that will blow over. Shit has very little structural strength, and doesn't even appear to have proper insulation. Just an air gap, which is not enough unless you live far more south than Russia.

Gypsum =/= Sand, you have to get drywall wet around the edges or damage the backing paper for it to swell
Also its not uncommon for builders to use dehumidifiers when building a house if done properly in order to dry out fresh lumber, typically houses are sealed up and dehumidified for 2-5 days or during nights when not worked on before drywall is put up

No it's not, you don't know jackshit. Wood frame is much easier to insulate with modern methods

>socioeconomic issues and how they effect how and what we live in isn't a political conversation
1. Fuck you for making me explain this.
2. The advancement of all technologies for the betterment of mankind is flat out political.
3. The ability to produce cheaper, but more efficient material for human use is political.
4. The possibility of creating jobs or removing jobs in all said processes. Is political.

Its all in china, but they dont have quality control and half the buildings are fake multi-stories without walls put up to get free gov money.

I thought it was limestone

no, it turns soft and stays soft. and the lumber in the frame of your house will eventually dry out on its own and twist and buckle when it does, creating bulges and cracks in your walls, joists, rafters etc

Pic related.
SIP panels are neat . You basically just drop them into place with no other framing needed. Use engineered joists/trusses and you basically connect it all like one giant puzzle.

Theres also ICF forms which is just insulation with concrete in the middle.,which is very very stable.
>Not new:
If you're interested in alternative building you're in luck.
Theres strawbale construction ,earthships, rammed earth,CEB blocks,adobe, obviously log cabins,turf houses ,hillforts the ancient celts made,iroquois longhouses,viking longhouses,simple post in ground constructions and countless other ways to build

People save money by scavenging/doing all the work themselves. You can make an adobe floor ,add a little concrete,stain it and voila! Cheap floofr. Theres thousands of ways to make expensive things cheap. Look at logs pinned with rebar- quick and easier way than older styles using the butt and pass method.
I helped my friend build a 3,000 sq ft house by laying stones on the ground ,adding concrete + reinforcement in the form then tilting it up into place. Same theory behind tilt up concrere..

Not only that, wood has a higher R value than concrete thanks to concrete's air bubbles. (like he even knows what an R value is.)

>Im gonna turn down this dirt cheap comfy prefab home because its not unique enough for me to call home

Well aren't you a special snowflake

3D printed houses, goy.

And you're a massive brainlet. Old frontier homes made of adobe insulate better than your modern mass produced shitty cucksheds.

I've read endless horror stories with SIP panels though.

As for ICF, it becomes a termite farm.

Interesting you made this thread. My friend made a company (wants to hire me) and his product is a new method for building houses. It basically use recycled plastics which exist in blocks that can be fitted into each other easily and fast. Light,sturdy and highly customisable. He reckons it will take off because of how eco-friendly it is.

So if he gets the idea off the ground then maybe we will see some revolution in building soon, and I'll be CFO ;)

If you maintain the roof and the outer walls, you won't get water inside, and thus that will never be an issue
Those homes are not energy inefficient because of what the walls are made of (modern insulation is incredible), but because they have so many fucking windows. Solution: don't put in so many fucking windows.