Researchers Close in on Male Birth Control Pill

sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180117164007.htm
>Women have many options for oral contraceptives that are safe, effective and reversible, but despite decades of research, men have none. Now, scientists report a rat study in ACS' Journal of Medicinal Chemistry that shows they finally have a good lead for a male birth control pill. It's based on ouabain, a plant extract that African warriors and hunters traditionally used as a heart-stopping poison on their arrows.

>Two types of African plants make ouabain. Mammals also produce it in their bodies, though at lower levels that are thought to help control blood pressure; doctors sometimes prescribe small doses of the compound to treat heart attack patients. Ouabain disrupts the passage of sodium and calcium ions through the membrane protein Na,K-ATPases, which are are found in cell membranes and are made up of protein subunits. Some subunits are found in cardiac tissue, but one type of subunit called α4 is found only in sperm cells.

>However, ouabain itself isn't an option as a contraceptive because of the risk of heart damage. By removing a sugar group from ouabain and also replacing its lactone group with a triazole group, the researchers created a derivative that is particularly good at zeroing in on α4 in sperm cells in rats. Once bound, it interferes with the cells' ability to swim, which is essential to its role in fertilizing an egg, the scientists showed. The compound had no toxicity in rats. The researchers say that the contraceptive effect should be reversible because α4 is only found on mature sperm cells. That means sperm cells produced after stopping treatment with the ouabain derivative shouldn't be affected.

If, and when, male birth control medicine is perfected should they be made OTC/freely available like they are for women?

Other urls found in this thread:

technologyreview.com/s/609773/a-contraceptive-gel-for-men-is-about-to-go-on-trial/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

disgusting

>heart-stopping poison

hope you bought your water filters, lads

So when can we add it to the water supplies of Detroit, Flint, Chicago, Baltimore and Africa?

Well they are chemically reformulating it to only target sperm cells instead of cardiac ones as well. There is also a male contraceptive gel that is going on trial this year:
technologyreview.com/s/609773/a-contraceptive-gel-for-men-is-about-to-go-on-trial/
>The new gel contains two synthetic hormones, testosterone and a form of progestin. Progestin blocks the testes from making enough testosterone to produce normal levels of sperm. The replacement testosterone is needed to counteract the hormone imbalances the progestin causes but won't make the body produce sperm.

>More than 400 couples will participate in the study, which will take place at sites in the U.S., the U.K., Italy, Sweden, Chile, and Kenya. Men in the trial will take home a pump bottle of the gel and rub about half a teaspoon of it on their upper arms and shoulders every day. The gel dries within a minute.

>“It’s not a lot of effort. It’s just remembering to use it every day,” says Diana Blithe, program director for contraception development at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, part of the National Institutes of Health.

>The gel can suppress sperm levels for about 72 hours, so if men forget a dose, “there is a bit of forgiveness,” says Régine Sitruk-Ware, distinguished scientist at the Population Council, a nonprofit for reproductive health that is sponsoring the trial alongside the NIH.

>Men will use the gel for at least four months while their partners also use some form of female contraception. Researchers will monitor the men’s sperm levels, which need to drop to less than one million per milliliter to effectively prevent pregnancy, according to Blithe. Once the sperm count is low enough, the women will go off their birth control. The couples will then use the contraceptive gel as their only form of daily birth control for a year.

This means that (((women))) will lose their ability to sperm jack you and milk child support out of you.

>sleeping with women

>Women have many options for oral contraceptives that are safe, effective and reversible
>Safe
>Effective
Yeah, millions of bitches pissing their estrogen left overs into our water supply after cramming themselves full of birth control pills is TOTALLY safe. Effective? It's not "effective" until it 100% guarantees birth control, not just fucking with your hormone levels.

I don't have casual sex either way, so this is notnews for me

I'd honestly support making it a standard addition like fluoride. The default consequence of sex should not be pregnancy anymore, honestly. The earth is already overpopulated. You should have get some specific medication to make you able to temporarily bear children so that the conscious effort on the part of parents which would only result in wanted children by parents with the capacity to care for them.

>gf says don’t worry she’s on the pill
>says I can cum inside don’t worry
>tells me she might be pregnant start to worry
>she lied about taking the pills
>it was a false alarm
>never trust a women saying she’s taking birth control again
Only best way is condom but even that is shit you might as well be fucking rubber because you’re not having sex with a girl at that point the rubber is cucking you and rubbing her walls not your dick meat
I hate condoms but I can’t trust a girl that says she’s on birth control anymore
I don’t know what to do

Always exists. It’s called swallowing.

>gets mass urinated into the water supply
>children of men becomes reality

I guarantee you that shit will have a ton of negative consequences that will be ignored in the media, you already catch hell for mentioning the very real side effects of the female pill

vasectomy

I support handing this out for free in all black communities.

Can we have artificial wombs instead? Please?

Safe compared to other birth control and specifically only in relation to the woman taking it, not the over all social/civilization impact.

>the contraceptive effect should be reversible

bet they arent reversible, and only whites will take this (because all other races shit out kids indiscriminately)

If you are dumb enough to take male birth control pills, you deserve what happens next

Just brushing your teeth with neem oil is enough to make a man temporarily infertile.

Howmany times is this thread going to happen and get subsequently btfo'd?

>African warriors and hunters traditionally used as a heart-stopping poison on their arrows.
>to treat heart attack patients.
>because of the risk of heart damage
>contraceptive effect should be reversible because α4 is only found on mature sperm cells
N
FUCKING
O

I AM GOING NOWHERE NEAR THAT SHIT

pull out dummy