Picks up old kids show because I like historical fiction and it looks like Ghibli

>Picks up old kids show because I like historical fiction and it looks like Ghibli
>better than expected
>suddenly 30 episodes later

I've been crying manly tears for the better part of two hours now and apparently no one knows this goddamn show exists

How do I ever get emotionally invested in another anime again

Other urls found in this thread:

freemovienavianime.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3144.html
dropbox.com/sh/p1j8ssektrsiqs6/1yUOi7ySH1/Little Women - Precursors?lst#/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I watched Romeo no Aoi Sora last year (or was it the year before?) and I loved it. It was slow at the start but I felt close to all the characters at the end (except for the lady Romeo lived with and her son because they were both shitty).

The red haired reverse-trap was best girl.

This show makes me want to have children

Just got bulldozed by nostalgia. Can't believe I almost forgot about best and purest boy.

WMT shows like Romeo are literally the birthplace of Ghibli that is why it looks similar and honestly there are much better WMT shows in my opinion. Miyazaki and Takahata were working on directing shows in the same series of World Masterpiece Theatre shows like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi before the founded Ghibli.

I didn't like it all that much personally. Morally extremely crude.

I've considered starting with this or Les Miserables as my first WMT. Les Miserables because I finished the novel lately, which would you suggest I watch first?

I much prefer Romeo. Think it has better art and much more consistent pacing and character writing, even if Mis does get really great towards the end.

Why is WMT anime so good

Because they are based on superior Western literature written over a 1000 times

What happened to WMT anyway and what should they adapt if they ever come back? Would love to see their version of LOTRs or maybe some Arthurian stuff.

Based on universally acclaimed templates that carry them even if the execution is often average.

Abe should request a rebroadcast.

Short answer: Japanese culture has moved on enough from the generation that grew up post WW2 and is no longer obsessed with stories of young people valiantly overcoming realistic struggles through simple but hard work.

>Implying a fantasy WMT would ever be WMT

But actually I'd want Don Quixote, make Sancho a kid sidekick to fit form and they'd be good to go

Why can't Japs at least make pedo works of high quality that everybody can enjoy like Lewis Carrol?

WMT shows how you make a great tsundere.

Because they don't rely on your usual animu writing.

Real talk WMT makes me appreciate lolis much more than your actual late night loli shows

How about Annette?

Only WMT can have a brother and a sister sleeping together without it being sexual.

>Les Miserables
It's apparently not very good by WMT standards and changes a lot from the novel

Romeo must be the most popular WMT among the otaku crowd, both male and females.

Male because Bianca and female because fujoshit

They are based around some of the best adaptable literary works available, works that survived the judgement of time and cultural change.

If I had to put an analogy, it's like a cover of a classical piece. To fuck this up you have to be particularly incompetent (and they weren't).

On the other hand, to compare those works with other anime is plain unfair if not downright ill-intended.

>to compare those works with other anime is plain unfair if not downright ill-intended.
Why?
It's not like the people who wrote the novels were intellectually superior to the people who write original anime.

>he doesn't know about the terrible Romeo Juliet animu

Actually, a number of them expanded or even changed the original stories so it's not like they just adapted them 100% and left it at all.

Best example is Marco. The original is just a short story, nowhere near enough for 52 episodes.

So they had to have writers who get that literary sense and put it into the anime.

Because you would be comparing something that survived the test of time vs something untested, amateurish or worse, a cash grab.

To use my previous example, it's like comparing an adaptation of something legendary that is going to sound good unless you are utter shit, vs no name bands, garage bands or mainstream music.

Or in other words, you are comparing stuff from a single country during a small period of time vs the unforgettable works of centuries from all over the world.

Time is usually the harshest but fairest judge there is. Very few in history, if ever, had the chance to sit down to create something they knew was going to became a classic work glorified for centuries.

What I love about WMT is how they don't rely on the usual anime reaction faces to convey emotions. It's more expressive and funnier.

Ironic considering WMT started/popularized some of the anime tropes we have to day like meidos and villainess shoujo stories.

I had literally never heard of 95% of WMT titles before hearing about or watching them.

Those works are probably famous only in the country of origin and possibly in Japan, but I wouldn't bet on the last one.

Leaving this aside, quality is always rewarded in the long run, even if an anime is original, nothing stops it from being as good as a WMT one in theory.

And even with such solid material, they didn't get it right all the time.

I'm not dissing their work, I'm just trying to ground the unrealistic perception of these works.

>And even with such solid material, they didn't get it right all the time.

Absolutely true. I don't really like their adaptation of Cedie for example. Kinda missing the point of his character, I think.

Depends of your country of origin and raising, naturally, not everyone is going to be familiar with all their adaptations. But in general, they did adapt well known works.

> Leaving this aside, quality is always rewarded in the long run, even if an anime is original, nothing stops it from being as good as a WMT one in theory.

Agree, but I would say that original works will always be regarded better than adaptations. (There are probably exceptions, though)

Every time I watched Cedie, I can't help to think about those reincarnation light novels we're getting lately where a young kid will be born a noble and already has his harem when he's just six.

Their Peter Pan adaptation took too many liberties and at times felt... weird.

On the other hand, I loved their Little Women version.

For example I am Italian and I knew about Cuore but never read it, I discovered only later 3000 Leagues in search of Mother is based on it.

Cuore is probably the only work I'd heard about before.

I have this on my backlog, I guess I ought to watch it now
This reminds me, anyone here seen Dog of Flanders? That one killed me. Fuck the art competition judges

OK, you people convinced me. Now can anyone tell me where I can get this? Pic related is from both current versions of Nyaa.
Please don't say private trackers are the only way.

>Their Peter Pan adaptation took too many liberties and at times felt... weird.

And the second half is entirely anime original.

You should read the book for maximum despair. Even the narrator sounds like a cynic.

I don't like how they changed things from the original, like making that scene where Romeo saves the slave trader guy from drowning. I think even for a Victorian era novel, that's a bit too saintly. The guy ended up being jailed at the book but I don't remember him getting his comeuppance in the anime.

They made Sara nicer in the anime too. Japanese fans said it's to appeal to Japanese sensibilities.

Didn't they bring it back? I thought it was active again since like 2007.

In one of the threads like last week some user uploaded it all to mega I think actually. Should still be up.

Their Little Women actually changed the part where Jo was going to sue the teacher for whipping Amy. Fans said it's probably because WMT is a darling child of the PTA.

It's ded again after Konnichiwa Anne on 2009.

make a thread to find out which work they should adapt and then we can all email them

This is my favorite

Not WMT but close enough.
Why don't American boast about this?

>american cartoon
Bet the little nigga cucks the whiteboi in the end.

What? This is anime not american cheap flash cartoon.

>Watch first episode of this
>It doesn't start off with any maid raping jokes

Why the fuck even bother?

Is there an actually sub or dub available of Little Woman? I looked around a while back when nyaa was still up but there was only raw dvd stuff that didn't have seeders. Used to watch that shit in german when I was a child.

Don't forget about the WMT knock-offs that in some cases are even better than the real real. Like Dezaki's ones.

I'd love to just see raws of this.

There's a dub available. No subs.

Well I actually managed to find this:
freemovienavianime.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3144.html

Sauce?

Why did Dezaki's shows look so much better than their contemporaries? Put Treasure Island and Remi against Perrine or Gundam and they look a decade apart from one another.

Araiguma Rascal is quite good and bittersweet too, besides the very low budget animation.

Now search for "Kin no Tamamushi" on the panda and have your new childhood destroyed.

post some screencaps

Remi is really stylized while WMT always had normal direction. Remi is actually pretty low-budget too but he masks it with stylized freeze-frames.

Alfredo lives on in bread commericals.

youtube.com/watch?v=U_eCdOvNq1Q

Watched this in Arabic as a kid, I really loved it.

OFFICIAL WMT RANKINGS
>god tier
Princess Sara
Anne of Green Gables
Flanders
>good tier
Remi
Romeo no Aoi Sora
Perrine
Marco
>mid tier
90's Remi
Les Mis
American novella adaptations
Peter Pan
>low tier
Swiss Family Robinson
Modern Anne adaptation
Sound of Music
Katri
>shit tier
Bush Baby
Tico
That recent Greek soap drama

Also Rascal is mid tier meanwhile Lassie belongs to shit tier.

It flopped ratings wise,as expected.

Sara from My Little Princess?

None of those links work for me.

We're in a horrible time for finding 'lost' anime.

This list looks classified by meter-o-suffering.

Missing Heidi in god tier, classic Remi should be higher and nu-Remi should be lower.

Yeah, in the original novel she was just an oddball while anime portrays her as a literal saint.

>Flanders
>god tier
>Heidi both not on god tier and not even listed while Dezaki's Remi is

Heidi doesn't belong to WMT franchise but it's indubitably god tier.

The PandoraTV links work for me but I have to disable my adblocker and it required Flash. And even then it's slow as fuck.

Can't have good ratings if you air it on a paid satellite TV channel.

Neither does Dezaki's Remi.
All so I'd say Robinson doesn't deserve low tier, and Before Green Gables is a mixed bag, as the adaption is pretty good but the novel itself is straight up fanfiction.

Princess Sara isn't even that good and treated as a 2ch meme. Sara looks ugly as fuck in the show and the animation is cruder than the majority of WMT franchise.

dropbox.com/sh/p1j8ssektrsiqs6/1yUOi7ySH1/Little Women - Precursors?lst#/

>the novel itself is straight up fanfiction

Well, the author's dead.

Detected the Perrinefag.

Dunno why these two sub-fandoms can't get along.

Meh, who cares what 2ch thinks? They overrate Katri too much, IMHO.

Did she do anything wrong really?

Yes. Being a bitch. Glad when she got her shit slapped.

I fucking love you

I agree about it not being good (I hated how Sara just forgave everyone for torturing her) but I thought Sara herself was quite cute.

>perrinefag
Sarafags are the real issue. Still I can't understand how a docile character could have such a violent subfandom. Katrifags and Sarafags are the worst.

>Well, the author's dead.
Sure, but what i mean is that it really feels like fanction. I wouldn't have a problem if the tone matched the one of the original novels, but that's not the case.

People actually sent death threats to Lavinia's seiyuu at the time it was aired. That's not new.

I'm ot gonna lie that scene when she forced Sara to put on her shoes was pretty hot.

They were just kids. Miss Minchin was the real asshole of the show.

Wow, I watched this show randomly and I didn't know it was so popular.

>I hated how Sara just forgave everyone for torturing her

In the novel, she just leaves without a second though, not returning once after the reveal. She even had her own little verbal revenge vs Minchin when she begged her to return to the school, done tastefully and elegantly. I dunno if she forgives her but she basically says "She never liked me but I never liked her either."

What violence man? There's barely any people in the WMT fandom these days. I don't even know where Sarafags go in 2ch since their general gets spammed and shitposted to death.

That was pretty hilarious, especially since Lavinia's seiyuu was Anne.

I liked Peter Pan. Sure it was completely liberal and the writing generally wasn't the best but I loved the character design and animation. It was far more cartoony than their usual stuff.

It was quite big in Japan in the 80's but fell out of favor like other WMT shows after otaku became the main demographic in the anime market.

I reckon Heidi is the most popular, both in Japan and globally.

No I don't have proofs.

Looking at that list made me realize I have seen a shit ton of them.

But as said, it's kinda hard these days to find old shit, I wouldn't even mind if it's dubbed.

You just made this user's day.

Thank you very much good sir.

And that's not even a remotely complete list.

>she was just an oddball

Reminder that in the original novel she almost called Ermengarde "stupid" before stopping herself. Also there's a scene where she rages against Emily after a hard day at work.

And in the original, original short story she's slightly a little more childish and self-centered and she just says she can't understand Ermengarde who doesn't like her uncle giving books to her as she will gobble them up if they were given to them.

Rascal is most popular in Japan just because of the mascot.

I think probably Anne is better than Treasure Island and Remi maybe those two are same level as Heidi and Marco. Then Sara just below those.

With regards to the animation its like the other user said. Dezaki is influential as a director because he developed ways to make anime look cool and visually interesting while working on an extremely limited budget. A lot of his techniques are the same kinds of things you will see in Ikuhara, Shinbo and Anno works.