When will we finally start undoing the rape of the English language by Norman fr*Nce?

When will we finally start undoing the rape of the English language by Norman fr*Nce?
I think it'd be good for the cause.

Other urls found in this thread:

grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/twain.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_purism_in_English
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no thanks

Damn that would have been really useful

I find myself writing th quite a lot

I read that as "sexier pban pbis"

we should really be adopting a phonetic conjunction alphabet

*no þanks.
Also why? I like latin/french words as much as þe next guy, but þere are far too many.
Þe Normans made þe grammar weirder and the vocabulary harder because more complex words are all latin/french and not Germanic words based on smaller words þat we all know.

Honestly, we should have gotten rid of all German influence.

I þink you're confusing German with Germanic.
Regardless, to remove all Germanic influence of English would be to destroy it all togeþer, þe grammar is Germanic, it would cease to exist wiþout it.

You're a fucking pleb. þorn is only used for ðe unvoiced "th" sound (therapeutic, thanks, thought etc). Eth is for ðe voiced "th" like in the and lathe.

But I agree, bring back wynn, yogh, eth, ethel, ash and thorn. Get rid of these stupid letter combos.

I've been thinking the same for quite some years now. Our language is doomed to be a bastard child of Old English, Latin, and Greek.

You do know it was the printing press and not the normans that killed thorn. People got lazy and started to use y as there weren't any thorn blocks. Hence "ye" being used as the in old shops and books for the.

Your brand of stupidity is so popular I made a chart

Because having an extra letter a printing press was bad.
And today having an extra letter on a keyboard is bad.
And our orthography isn't phonetic anyways so it doesn't really matter.

oh thanks, I'll have to look more into this stuff tb.h.

>Get rid of these stupid letter combos.
Or at least update them, like "ea" which is correct for Reagan, bear, and pear; but outdated for meat, early, and measure.

Why not German?

that's actually pretty funny

That would be throwing away "muh heritage", and it seems just wrong to replace your own language and culture with anohter. I just want the t-v distinction and some more Germanic vocabulary back.

I was just setting up the joke...I don't actually care and believe English is more than descriptive enough, even if the words don't always have sensical constructions.

I agree, English needs a revamp.
For example: fuck C/c.
Seriously, is it a K-sound or an S-sound. We don't need a letter that does what other letters do.
So let's change C/c to mean "ch".
>Curc=Church
>Cip=Chip
>Cange=Change
>Whic=Which

To be honest, a lot of the common diphthongs need their own seperate letters, namely: "th" as the eth and thorn, "ng", "wh", "sh", "st".
Cuts down on word length and makes it easier to read (once your used to it, it took me awhile to get used to the eth and thorn).

Lol, I think you might enjoy this:

>that ID

It's funny how readable it is the second time you go through it. Neat-o.

>wanting any (((latin))) influence at all

ᚠᚢᚳ ᚨᚠ

while we're at it why don't we add some diacriticals to transcribe syllable stress

Most fundamentally, it's a creole from Brittonic. Sandwiched between the Brittonic foundation of foundations and huge Latin-origin vocabulary is the Germanic stuff.

That's fucking funny m8

We're trying to make English easier, not harder.

Britain was celtic before being anglo.

What is this originally from? No way some faggot on Sup Forums made it up

Reminds me of a short essay by Mark Twain: grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/twain.htm

Here's a better idea. Stop ending syllables with fucking consonants you fucking morons.

You mean talku liku thissu desu ka?

Feels bad man.

please, I dont need to spend all day trying to use context clues trying to figure out whether some fuckwit meant 'p', 'b', or that thing.

"Than" would be spelt with an eth, not a thorn you illiterate retard

Thorns are used for unvoiced "th" sounds whereas eths are used for voiced

Than would use eth, thought would use thorn

and while the gate to rework our alphabet and spoken language is open maybe we can start to make it more modern and less eurocentric so that any english speaker can feel comfortable nomatter what xir race, gender, sexual identity, sexual orientation, or age is :^)

the thorn brings all my thegns to the yard

/Þ/ ænd /Ð/ αre twō distĩnct sounds in Ẽnglišh fonology, dherefore dhey šhould be reprezented by twō different signs in Ẽnglišh orthografy.

th ≠ dh
p ≠ b
t ≠ d
k ≠ g
Etc...

Það er rétt! Dhat is right!

>þornography bornography

Ye Olde Debunking: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVVTk7yy4kU

finally a good thread

Ðat* ?

I have always thought that english is similar to north germanic languages such as icelandic and old norse, but the ortography makes it look more french.
For example I think we should change
thirst to þurst,or þörst
In swedish it's törst and in icelandic þorsti

It seems similar to Icelandic because Icelandic has been the most stagnant of all the Germanic languages making older English seem similar to it.
And yeah, the Scandinavian languages are closer to English than German for example.
This is most likely an outcome of the viking invasions of Britain after the Germanic invasions.
The spelling just became really fr*Nch along with the more complex vocabulary after the n*Rman invasion.

It's also similar because icelandic and english are the only germanic languages with the Th-sound aka Thorn/Þ.

Þungur hnífur

Þessi hnífur á að vera þungur

t: yli enthusiast

Dyoring ðe fifþ yer, ðe unnecessary "o" kæn bi dropd from words konteining "ou" ænd similr ceinjes wud...

ban piss

>I have always thought that english is similar to north germanic languages such as icelandic and old norse, but the ortography makes it look more french.
Structurally speaking, English is a North Germanic language like the Scandinavian tongues. Old Norse changed the West Germanic structure into North Germanic during the vikang period it seems.

the icelandic language is truly God-tier.

okayo

>Norman fr*Nce
To be fair, it's mostly þe German's fault we lost þorn, because English had to use Germany's Printing Press.
Þe Normans really only forced a few loanwords on English; what really raped English was the Nords (everyone always seems to forget about them), wiþ þeir similar-but-different language and grammatical gender þat eventually led to our own gender system imploding.
Þat said, the Normans are probably the cause of the Great Vowel Shift.

Back when þorn and eð actually used, þey were used pretty much interchangeably and inconsistently, wiþ þorn being more common.
þorn for unvoiced (think, ether) and eð for voiced (the, either) is what Icelandic does now, but why does English have to use it if most speakers don't even notice the difference? Like how we use "s" in "result", even though nearly everyone pronounces that with a /z/ sound. Actually there are a ton of "s" letters that are pronounced with a /z/ sound (though America has swapped a couple of them to "z" like in the "-ise" -> "-ize" suffixes

>So let's change C/c to mean "ch".
Þat works.
> "th" as the eth and thorn,
Eh, as above, þere's very few words where the two aren't just allophones. But I guess.
>"ng"
I nominate ŋ
>"wh"
Few dialects still distiŋuish this pair from just regular /w/ anyways.
>"sh"
Middle English used to use "sc" for þis, before "h" became þe standard digraph-iŋ letter, I guess.
One option for þis could be "ç"? If þat's too French, we can put a diacritic on "s" instead, like ş or ŝ?
>"st"
Not really a sound on its own, but it is the most common consonant pair in English (much more so þan /ks/, yet þat gets a letter for some reason!).
Not sure what symbol would work for it þo.

th is the t sound dragged out with the tongue in the t position to make it less abrupt
ph is the p sound without the mouth being fully closed at the beginning to make it less abrupt
sh is the s sound with the tongue retracted to make it a lower pitch

the h softens the sound of the initial letter

>why does English have to use it if most speakers don't even notice the difference?
Because nothing says "I have a right to exist" like searching desperately into your ancestors' past to find some sort of antiquated thing that will make you seem genuine.

It's like wanting people to switch over to Anglish instead of English. Peak larp.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_purism_in_English

>"sh"
sc or sċ?
>"wh"
I would use hw

rookayeru misteru nipponu, berryyu goodu tolku to youuuu

It's basically a mutt language that was räped by french. It's no wonder they want to purify it.

Jews have gone so far to revive a dead language that has been extinct by 586 CE

Yeah, no I get that. Linguistic purism is silly. I've looked into and played wiþ Anglish for fun, but it's not to be taken seriously.

>I would use hw
Yeah, at least þat would reflect how people þat actually distiŋuish the two pronounce it. It's weird þat þe letters are backwards.

>räped by french
Modern English is such a cucked language. It hurts just to speak it.

There is also this letter that is used for hw
Ƕƕ

It goes well with ŋ