Shonen Jump is going to have 3 special exhibitions for its 50 year anniversary...

Shonen Jump is going to have 3 special exhibitions for its 50 year anniversary. The first part "The Beginning of The Legend" introducing the magazine's classic titles from its launch to the 1980s is scheduled to be held at Mori Arts Center Gallery in Tokyo between July 18 and October 15. The second part "The Impact of The 6.53 Million Copies" for the 1990s works will follow in the spring of 2018, then the third part "The Present of The Evolving Strongest Magazine" for the 2000s and current works is set in the summer of the year.

63 titles to be deemed for Jump to be featured in the first part (list in following post)

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-29/kimagure-orange-road-izumi-matsumoto-bedridden-after-illness-relapse/.105892
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_the_Giants
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"Kochikame" (Osamu Akimoto)
"Mashonen B.T."/"JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" (Hirohiko Araki)
"Circuit no Okami" (Satoshi Ikezawa)
"Kami-sama wa Southpaw"/"Sora no Campus" (Shinji Imaizumi)
"Susume Pirate!"/"Stop! Hibari-kun" (Hisashi Eguhi)
"Tsuide ni Tonchinkan" (Koichi Endoh)
"Chichi no Tamashii" (Hiroshi Kaizuka)
"Hole in One" (Takeji Kagami/Tatsuo Kanai)
"Samurai Giants" (Ikki Kajiwara/Ko Inoue)
"Wingman"/"Video Girl" (Masakazu Katsura)
"Hochonin Ajihei" (Jiro Gyu/Jo Big)
"Ring ni Kakero"/"Fuuma no Kojiro"/"Otokozaka"/"Saint Seiya" (Masami Kurumada)
"Todai Icchokusen" (Yoshinori Kobayashi)
"1.2 no Ahho!" (Kontaro)
"Moeru! Oniisan" (Tadashi Sato)
"Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken" (Riku Sanjo, Yuji Horii, Koji Inada)
"Sannen Kimengumi"/"High School! Kimengumi" (Motoei Sinzawa)
"Captain Tsubasa" (Yoichi Takahashi)
"Akutare Kyojin"/"Ginga-Nagareboshi Gin-" (Yoshihiro Takahashi)
"Play Ball" (Akio Chiba)
"Yoroshiku Mechadoc" (Ryuji Tsugihara)
"Cobra" (Buichi Terasawa)
"Tennis Boy" (Satoshi Terajima, Kenichi Kotani)
"Astro Kyudan" (Shirō Touzaki, Norihiro Nakajima)
"Shape Up Ran"/"Jungle no Ouja Tar-chan" (Masaya Tokuhiro)
"Toilet Hakase" (Kazuyoshi Torii)
"Dr.Slump"/"Dragon Ball" (Akira Toriyama)
"Harenchi Gakuen" (Go Nagai)
"Hadashi no Gen" (Keiji Nakazawa)
"THE MOMOTAROH" (Makoto Niwano)
"BASTARD!! Ankoku no Hakaishin" (Kazushi Hagiwara)
"Cyborg Jiichan G" (Shige Hijikata)
"Black Angels" (Shinji Hiramatsu)
"Doberman Deka" (Buronson, Shinji Hiramatsu)
"Hokuto no Ken" (Buronson, Tetsuo Hara)
"Cat's Eye"/"City Hunter" (Tsukasa Hojo)
"Blue City" (Yukinobu Hoshino)
"God Sider" (Kouji Maki)
"Geki! Gokutora Ikka"/"Sakigake!! Otokojuku" (Akira Miyashita)
"Otoko Ippiki Gaki-Taisho"/"Yamasaki Ginjiro"/"Sawayaka Manjiro"/"Yabure Kabure" (Hiroshi Motomiya)
"Rokudenashi Blues" (Masanori Morita)
"Yokai Hunter"/"Koushi Ankokuden" (Daijiro Morohoshi)
"Koya no Shonen Isamu" (Souji Yamakawa, Noboru Kawasaki)
"Kinnikuman" (Yudetamago)
"Dokonjo Gaeru" (Yasumi Yoshizawa)

Why not start at the 60s where Jump really was born?

Practically all important mangas from beginning to 1989 are there. Except one.

And that is my question: why isn't Mazinger Z deemed to be there? Does Jump hate it for some reason?

Kimagure Orange Road isn't neither for some motive.

These exhibitions make me wanna live in nipland.

Forget Mazinger Z (still, I'm mad it isn't in the list).

Why the hell isn't Kimagure Orange Road? From that 63-title list, Kimagure has been for Jump more important than more than 50 of these listed mangas.

Mazinger Z is easily explained, it started in Jump but then Nagai abandoned Jump before finishing the series and brought it to another publisher who then held the rights to it, Shueisha never got to publish the finished project (although, in that way, you could argue Hadashi no Gen shouldn't be there but Jump was very kind to Nakazawa, Nagai is the one who left them)

They are you dumb fuck; Harenchi Gakuen, Otoko Ippiki Gaki-Taisho and Chichi no Tamashii are all up there

Me too ;_;

>no rurouni kenshin
>no otokojuku
T-thats fine, I didn't want to see them anyway.

Did you not read the entire thing? The series that started in the 90s will be featured in the second exhibition that will take place next spring.

Where's Kimagure Orange Road?

And why isn't Kimagure Orange Road? Izumi Matsumoto has always been in Jump

Also, Otokojuku is in the list.

Can maybe Kimagure be out because the mangaka has an illness?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-29/kimagure-orange-road-izumi-matsumoto-bedridden-after-illness-relapse/.105892

This article would only make sense if new artwork was required for the exhibition.

I don't think they have the actual mangaka all sitting in the exhibition, some of them are dead

>All this merchandising

Damn, I want to be there.

Also, it seems Otoko Ippiki Gaki-Taishō was a huge hit in its time. Does anyone know what is that manga?

That one does seem weird but maybe they have tensions between them...I mean the last note on Wikipedia is he had tensions trying to use his own characters for a project and all the digital copies of Kimagure are published by him not Shueisha (so are many classics from that time but it seems reasonable to believe they could have some tension between them since they obviously didn't just forget the series)

It pretty much established the magazine, from what I remember reading, when Motomiya wanted to end it, the editors begged him so much to bring it back that he had to a couple times and in return the lead editor said he would be allowed to publish whatever he wanted in Jump for the rest of his life (he did publish a lot there but later moved to seinen Shueisha magazines where he is still working today)

I'll see if I can post some good pages of it

Koya no Shonen Isamu looks very good. And it also looks it was way popular in first decade of 70s

So many manga from my childhood

Everything started there.

Remember this frog, Sup Forums?

Kek I failed

Remember this frog?

Raponchi

Basically, it's a boy who wants to fight his way to rule Japan and he gets a FUCKLOAD of followers, like we're talking literally thousands, there's like a scene where a train is going over a tall wooden bridge and they are able to hold it together from breaking (though his second mate dies protecting him from the bridge later falling on him)

There's lots of fighting and people dying or almost dying, there's some naval warfare, an arc in like a juvenile detention center, he also leaves his gang to go make babies but then everyone begs him to come back but then people try to hurt his lady once he leaves her

It basically is a very clear precursor to like all the stuff the West remembers

There's also a lot of talking between the adults and him so it's not all just pure fighting

Here's Mankichi doing the NAKAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-style shout at everyone to hold the bridge together

And then his second best friend dying to hold the wreckage up and protect him

Ok anons, I'm doing a resume of most important Jump mangas by year periods. Let's see if I nail it.

1968-1972
>Harenchi Gakuen, Otoko Ippiki Gaki-taisho, Dokonjo Gaeru, Samurai Giants, Koya no Snonen Isamu, Astro Kyudan, Mazinger Z
1973-1977
>Hadashi no Gen, Play Ball, Hochonin Ajihei, Circuit no Okami, Doberman Deka, Kochikame, Ring ni Kakero
1978-1982
>Cobra, Kinnikuman, Dr.Slump, Captain Tsubasa, Cat's Eye, Stop Hibari-kun, Fuma no Kojiro, Highschool Kimengumi, Yoroshiku Mechadoc
1983-1987
>Wingman, Hokuto no Ken, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Kimagure Orange Road, Dragon Ball, City Hunter, Tsuide ni Tonchinkan, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Saint Seiya, JoJo, Moeru! Oni-san
1988-1992
>Bastard!!, Shin Jungle no Oja Tar-chan, Rokudenashi Blues, Magical Taruruto-kun, Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken, Video Girl Ai, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hana no Keiji, Hareluya II Boy
1993-1997
>Ninku, Tottemo Luckyman, DNA2, Jigoku Sensei Nube, Kenshin, Midori no Makibao, Karakurizōshi Ayatsuri Sakon, Level E, Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san, Hoshin Engi, Yu-gi-oh, Hanasaka Tenshi TenTen-kun, I''s, Seikimatsu Leader-den Takeshi!, One Piece
1998-2002
>Rookies, Whistle!, HunterxHunter, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, Naruto, Black Cat, Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar, BoBoBo, Bleach, Ichigo 100%, Eyeshield 21
2003-2007
>Buso Renkin, Death Note, Gintama, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, D.Gray-man, Neuro, To Love-Ru, Sket Dance, Hatsukoi Limited
2008-2012
>Nurarihyon no Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Kuroko no Basket, Beelzebub, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, Haikyu, Saiki Kusuo no Y-san, Assasination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma
2013-2017
>World Trigger, Boku No Hero Academia, Black Clover, Boruto, Yuragi-so no Yuna-san, Kimetsu no Yaiba, The Promised Neverland, possibly Dr.Stone, maybe something new still to come

There's a lot of action lines...but apparently it was like the first series in the magazine to have a huge female following as well (though Tsubasa and Seiya would later grow that way more)

God fuck man, I feel like a toddler looking at this picture.
I haven't even read half of all this shit.

Somehow I feel I'm seeing the grandfather of JoJo, Hokuto no Ken and Dragon Ball here

I wonder if Koya no Shonen Isamu had some sort of legacy. For now it looks a shonen very different to everything I've seen, and is a 71 wild-west shonen.

Depends what context you are going for, and obviously the year thing doesn't work in the sense that those aren't necessarily the years the series was popular

But thinking Whistle! was important just because it lasted a long time but then not thinking Toilet Hakase is when it was one of the first million sellers for the magazine is obviously wrong and stuff like Hadashi no Gen is very important historically for manga but was never a major thing for Jump and they never collected it or finished it and stuff like that, it depends if you're going for historical context or context of the actual magazine at the time

>nisekoi
>beelzebub
>medaka box
>toriko
>ghost tits
>dr.stone is too early to tell
>buso renkin
>sket dance
>saiki kusuo no y-san
>world trigger

literally no one is going to remember any of these 10 years from now. hell nisekoi is the number one example of this.

Some of them don't have proper translations and/or complete scans online.

It got a lot of editorial push but that's probably because he was already an established artist from this series

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_the_Giants

The writer of that series also got a big push with his series Samurai Giants which started in Jump at the same time as Isamu...I'm not sure with either of them though how much was push and how much was actual popularity, like you don't see a lot of Westerns following Isamu and Samurai Giants is probably not even in the Top 5 best remembered Jump baseball manga and even while it was going on, it was like one of three major baseball manga in the magazine

I do think the Isamu art was pretty great

How do you know all this info?

>Some
Almost all of them, the only ones I believe are translated is:

the Araki two, Stop!! Hibari-kun, Video Girl, Saint Seiya, Tsubasa, Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, Hadashi no Gen, Bastard!!, Hokuto no Ken, Otokojuku and Kinnikuman

Some that are getting close are Sannen Kimengumi, Cat's Eye, City Hunter and Nagareboshi Gin (I thought this was finished because its wiki is pretty filled out but it looks like it isn't)

So, basically nothing but five artists the West likes

Uh, I'm a loser I guess...I like knowing stuff about the things I enjoy but Jump is the thing I know the most about but that's because it's the easiest to learn about since it's the most popular

It's also the reason I'm working on learning Japanese since I love so many of those older manga and have given up on anyone ever translating them

I'm also one of those people who reeeeeee's at anyone who just says totally ignorant stuff about things they could just look up so I've always liked to look things up since I was a kid

It seems baseball mangas were based in beginning of 70s
>Samurai Giants
>Play Ball
>Astro Kyudan

Some info dump for what I've seen

>Hochonin Ajihei
Grandfather of Shokugeki

>Circuit no Okami
Grandfather of Initial D. Basically 70s Initial D in European mountains

>Doberman Deka
Grandfather of hardboiled detective mangas

>Samurai Giants is probably not even in the Top 5 best remembered Jump baseball manga

What would be the top 5 best remembered Jump baseball mangas?

Fun thing is that only baseball animes based in Jump mangas are these 3

I don't know for sure but off the top of my head:

Astro Kyudan, Play Ball, Rookies and Yamashita Taro-kun are probably all way better remembered

I could see Samurai Giants be number 5 but there's plenty of other contenders for that spot like Susume!! Pirates, Pennant Race, Chichi no Tamashii, Akutare Kyojin and probably some others I'm forgetting

All of them lasted over ten volumes

>Doberman Deka
It was also the first hit as a writer for Buronson who then wrote Hokuto no Ken and the artist then wrote and drew Black Angels in Jump which was even grittier...and it was the manga that got Toriyama's editor to decide he liked being a manga editor

>"BASTARD!! Ankoku no Hakaishin" (Kazushi Hagiwara)
THE KING OF HIATUS HAS HONORED US WITH HIS PRESENCE

kek Circuit no Okami is the stereotipics of men love cars and women made manga

It's sequel and many other series by the author after that big hit were published in Weekly Playboy...so yeah, you're exactly right

Suddenly I've felt nostalgia of Hoshin Engi

I would like to see Bastard!! get a proper adaption, its really good up to a certain point and while the OVA was a fine watch it still left a lot to be desired ... I don't see it happening though.

I should watch how ended Dokonjo Gaeru, what happened about Raponchi, and if Hiroshi won the Kyokobowl

>List of school mangas
>Otoko Ippiki Gaki-taishō in 68
>Dokonjō Gaeru in 70
>Next seems to be...Highschool! Kimengumi in 82

What do you consider a school manga because Otoko was never in a school setting

Don't wish so hard for it of MAPPA might get it.

King of the writer's block
>I know I'll just redraw the old volumes

Nisekoi is the longest running romcom in Jump history and it was so popular it made it into Mario Maker

No matter how much of a hipster you may be that series is popular and will be remembered

Flavor-of-the-month does not equal most popular...for example, if you got to the 1987 Famicom Jump game they made, there's like ten God Sider characters which is like one of the most represented series, but it got cancelled after just a year and in retrospect is the one series that doesn't make sense being in the game so prominently

>that series is popular and will be remembered
by who? nips didn't give a shit about it after the final chapter, they were happy to see it end.