Why hasn't anime moved to CGI yet and why does most current CGI anime like Rakuen Tsuihou and Sidonia no Kishi look...

Why hasn't anime moved to CGI yet and why does most current CGI anime like Rakuen Tsuihou and Sidonia no Kishi look kind of shitty and run bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU
youtu.be/04e8UupoY30?t=33
youtu.be/GC76s9Xpnbs?t=1965
streamable.com/i2v1l
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>most current CGI anime like Rakuen Tsuihou and Sidonia no Kishi look kind of shitty and run bad

>Why hasn't anime moved to CGI

Doesn't mean it has to look bad though. Jojo OP looks great and there is CGI stuff here and there that does look great.

Just it seems with a lot of the CGI stuff it looks really lazy and is animated really lazy and is rendered at unwatchable FPS levels.

There are more current CGI anime that look better than those two.

You said yourself.
The Jojo OPs where small animation with a lot of time and care put into them, if they do the same with a full series if definitelly look good, but they have tu cut corners in one.

Plus, i believe its still cheaper to make 2D animation overall.

We had a show with good CGI once, and it sold like shit. Now we only get shows with shitty CGI.

>Plus, i believe its still cheaper to make 2D animation overall.

This is the case, I've never understood how though. You would think CGI would automate a lot of the animation process and you can reuse models.

Try google or WAIT.

Beserk looked like shit senpai.

I mean, 3D is a bitch, you still need to make a 3D enviroment that looks nice, you need to animate everything by hand or (if you have the money) use motion capture to make it feel natural, you cant automate that shit, it always looks weird and unnatural, and you would realized they are reusing models after a while, making a 3D object for everything takes more time that just drawing it.

I think 3D should only be used to enhance 2D animation, not to replace it, unless people are willing to fucking works their asses of into making it look not shit.

I think it could be narrowed down to 3 main issues: budget, complexity and market. Even though CGI is growing, studios might still be reluctant to use it as an experimental platform for a 12 to 25 episode show. Many animation studios are restrained and forced to play their strengths (being 2D/traditional animation) rather than play on uncertainty for budget (and time) reasons. 3D complexity is also a mayor factor. 3D animation recuires real-time lighting, asset building, rigging, the modeling and texturing of every scene, plus a whole bunch of other time consuming stuff. That and the equipment to handle and render in decent quality, and the expence of manual labor. All of the above can be a vexing job for a small studio whose product might not atract attention given the fact that their is a lot of competition and not many people are lining up to see 3D anime. Then again, that's just my humble opinion.

fuck you

>Etotrash
>Good CGI

You furries are so funny

More like read the metadata.

While CG models would be more "on-model", it'd suffer from constant modeling, forcing shows to constantly reuse assets and cut corners if they want variety. A single drawing is way easier to make than a whole model. There's also certain things that are harder to model in 3D, like final form Tetsuo for example.

>smooth framerate
>good use of shadows and lighting
>competent physics in most scenes
>effective use of slow-mo
>simple, yet charming and visually distinct character design
>Nya-tan in particular shows a tremendous amount of emotion in every scene

A free (You) so you can't get away with misinforming the public.

2D animation looks better at high budgets. (Ghibli films etc)

3D animation looks better at mid budgets (TV shows that actually have a good budget to work with)

2D animation looks better at low budget.

Name one

>Why hasn't anime moved to CGI yet
Why would it? I don't see a problem with 2D.

Because 2D animation is anime's USP.

Cyberconnect 2 should just make an anime, their 3d cutscenes in games are fucking amazing, and they already made a pretty great short. In fact, dumping some webms and linking some of the stuff they did:

youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU
youtu.be/04e8UupoY30?t=33
youtu.be/GC76s9Xpnbs?t=1965

Their naruto game cutscenes and super animations blow even the best animated parts of the anime out of the water

>3d used for filler frames
>some complicated assets like cars and shit

>there will be a time everything will be animated in 3d
>2d is pointless
>2d cells will all deteriorate into oblivion

y live

>Why hasn't anime moved to CGI yet and why does most current CGI anime like Rakuen Tsuihou and Sidonia no Kishi look kind of shitty and run bad?
>what did you make this thread for
>you asked a question
>explained the answer

>Sidonia no Kishi
>shitty

2D analog hand drawn and digital ink animation is cheaper, easier to make and is a significantly higher quality product.

CGI , 2.5 tweened animation or even fully digital handrawn 2D animation will never fully replicate the 2D analog handrawn animation with digital ink.

It's not just subjective taste but a mathematically provable fact due to the intrinsic properties of analog, digital , 2D or 3D mediums.

Nippon cant into
>proper weight painting
>rigging
>compositing
>animating without slide

Of course kemono showed no one gives a fuck so expect more shit cgi in the future. Thabjs furrfags.

Kemono Friends didn't demonstrate anything that wasn't already a known factor. Anime fans don't give a shit about animation quality, regardless of whether it's 2D or 3D.

And that is the same mentality that killed western animation (for the most part). Fucking normal faggots ruin everything.

I am sad that we are not getting subtitles for the Snack World.

>rigging skeletons
>making the animation itself
>eliminating clipping
>rendering and shit
>making sure all the vertices are aligned smoothly to avoid jagged edges
>creating a fuckton of models for different scenarios
>a model with an arm wound would need a completely different arm model to a pristine one (obviously)

It's like software stop motion.

you don't like 2d or something?

Sounds like a fucking nightmare.

The framerate is so bad because they're trying to emulate the "on the 8s" frame rate that most anime use

Cgi should be reserved for shows that can't be animated in 2D under their usual budget, like kemono friends.

And even that tried their best to make good with what they got, better that some cg out there

More that the characters and charm was enough to get past the horrendous animation.

I fear that the next year will be fully of shitty cg anime that flops trying to be the next KF, not realising that being cheap and shitty is what made it so good

this. cg is good for mechanical things or extremely complicated things (envy from brotherhood)
otherwise it's not worth it.

>This is the case, I've never understood how though. You would think CGI would automate a lot of the animation process and you can reuse models.
Automation is useful if you can reuse it over and over. That is almost never the case with anime, where it is expected that most scenes are once-off. If you want to reuse old footage, 2D anime can do that just as easily as 3D. So there is no benefit.

Wasn't the last aots literally cgi and broke some records?

Kado looks good.

I don't know why people keep ignoring the existence of id-0.
it has decent modelings and decent sci-fi story,

ajinn

On the contrary, KF had what I would consider a smoother framerate/better tweening than most 3D series. It was one the reasons I didn't mind watching it (Even though I ended up loving it)

When Guilty Gear is rendered in real time and looks better than a pre-rendered CGI anime it makes you think something is off.

It also ended up being far more time consuming to produce than Arcsys expected.

But now they've got the ball rolling and they know how to use the new graphics better now. Some of the new camera angles in Rev 2 are fantastic.

streamable.com/i2v1l

They're really good at showing emotions on characters.

The Ougi is the best.

Japanese cg will never look good as long as the studios have an obsession with making it look like 2d and forcing the animated on threes/twos look that makes everything seem like it's 8/12 fps.

Anime is a medium that got popular and profitable because it was cheap. A decent looking full CGI show is anything but cheap.
CGI is basically only useful to the tv animation industry to cut corners with long distance shots, backgrounds, and typically pretty much any characters and assets who don't need expressive face and body animation (where 2D is both superior and cheaper) but still appear a lot and need to move around a lot (soldiers in Berserk/Bahamut/SNK, mobs of faceless people, cars, macross planes, mechas, horses, horse carriages, etc).
Not to mention that
1- most 2D animators dislike 3D
2- most 2D animators aren't 3D animators, sure they can learn, they already have the basics, but it's not going to happen overnight, and time spent training your employees is time these guys don't bring money in
Even if an average small studio wanted to make a fully CG rendered 25 episodes series, they'd probably need to fire and replace half their staff to make it happen in a decent timeframe. Which obviously isn't happening.
TLDR CGI anime is something only big studios and video game studios can make.

Only because the anime is rather realistic and they make heavy use of subtle body language.
Just try to picture what a Trigger anime or Guren Lagann would look like in cheap Kado tier CGI.

>this moeshit stuff is better animated than any CG anime I've ever seen

Fucks sake.
This is on the same level of quality as the PS2 JoJo games, just with better models.

Cause good cgi costs millions while cheap cgi costs peanuts.