Does anything actually get shut down during the so-called 'government shutdown'

I mean other than Congressman not being able to have 10 aides each, and national parks being closed (which I don't know how it's legal, but whatever governments don't really follow laws)?

National parks and other dumb shit. Nothing important

The only people who voted for Trump are rural and suburban retards.

City people all voted for Hillary.

Well there's nobody patrolling said parks during a shutdown so as long as you don't park your car in the lot next to the main entrance, you pretty much got the whole place to your self and a few other hikers that you can say "fuck the government" to and smile as you a pass

I think that people still patrol them which makes it even dumber that they can't let people in

My group is considered "essential" since we handle the Treasury's money. Even with a shutdown, I'd still have to go to work. Fuck me.

of course not, it's literally nothing
this happened during obama too and did literally nothing except put a bunch of people (liberals) fearmongering on tv.

Not really which is why some of them panic over it happening. Most of the important things are on automatic spend cycle. For example servicing the debt, SS payments, and so on. What is not included is salaries , but then it will end up as a paid vacation for them once it is over.
Also note that it is the long time swamp beasts that are fretting over it, and playing the worst games about doing it. You have Dems crying dead people the sky is falling, but saying they will not vote for it without daca attached. So I just goes to show who they care about, and that is the kids of illegals.
Also some of the Retardicans are screaming about the military not getting paid, and the Pentagon whining about not getting a black check.

and the military stops getting paid

LOL!
No extra paid vacation for you. Suck to be you.

It's a test of loyalty for Democrat agents throughout the Government.

They are entrusted with the task for making it as politically damaging for the opposition as possible.

Soldiers don't get paid. Veterans Administration disability does not get paid. Thats two big ones.

The state can coast for a couple months to a years without highlevel politicians. Its just that necessary decisions are put off. Its like if you don't take a shit for a couple weeks you die of poisoning. Between Congress, the Judiciary and the Executive make hard decisions on the future of the country.

In particular the decisions that reach the presidents desk are ones no one else could make or want to make. The functioning of the state will eventually wither and die but have the appearance of life, the same way a dead body can grow nails and hair

If that's true how could he possibly have gotten enough votes to win? Something like 80% of the US population lives in cities.

You dense motherfucker

I work on a military base and I'm waiting to find out if I'm going to be laid off until this is fixed. Many thousands of contractors will have to work without being paid for a while, and if they have to travel for work then it'll be paid out of their pocket.

The postal service, the corps of engineers, the labor department, anything to do with passports and visas - anything that is not essential to national security.

The short answer is - a whole fucking lot

Obama closed the parks as a stunt
to make it look like the gov shut down
had an impact. Trump already said he
won't close them.

The government should be shut down
a few times a year. It would save the
taxpayers a lot of money and no one
would notice the difference.

You know how there's a few people in every office who do most of the work, while the rest Facebook all day?
Those few people are not high enough up the totem pole to be considered "essential", so will not be going to work.
Now you know why your package got lost.

t. reddit spacing

DoL here. We make sure that people get paid fair wages and that employers follow the law, pay overtime, etc. We'd get shut down and we won't take any complaints or investigate any cases, so people will get paid breadcrumbs if the shutdown lasts too long and we'll have a massive backlog.

80% are urban. That includes towns and sub urbs

Lol, the only thing that keeps wages fair is competition.

If so, shut down when? Will offices/agencies like the FAA stop working during that time?

An awfully bad thing to be saying from someone who isn't even an American. Why don't you fuck off and kill yourself? What do you think the 'rural retards' are going to do when the government packs it in and the celebs move to their private bunkers?

Actually nothing. I'll continue my farm. I will however shoot anything that moves on my property after there is no government to come punish me for aerating jamal.

Same.... DWCF

ill be out of a job temporarily.

We can pay them for about an extra month after shutdown

might affect your tax refund there, ancapfag

Has generally not been my experience. I've ridden two shutdowns out in Iraq and Afghanistan and lemme tell you the pay was late coming.

yes, the military does not get paid. federal employees such as those fighting the fires in california will not get paychecks either. they are trying for this not to happen but in a typical shutdown these people would not get paid.
not so fast, that is incorrect. see above, is that dumb shit? didn't think so.

to answer the question directly the usda, well at least the ARS, gets shutdown. last time it happened we didnt work for 16 days, shit was cash for a day or two then i realized how fucked it was.

Do politicians still pass legislation? I'm curious how this would play out strategically for the parties during the mid terms.

Government workers paychecks. Only about 45% of them though. The "non-essential" personnel. Essential personnel are there every fucking day. Even the supposed Government Holidays have the most essential personnel still at their posts.

Shutdowns are great for pissing off the black/hispanic underclass of government workers. Tons of office mail clerks, and logistics supply personnel get mandatory unpaid leave. Unless they have paid leave that they spend during that time.

No one is going to bother your meth lab, Cletus. Stop being paranoid.

Work for centers for disease control and prevention. We can’t do so much as check our email during this sort of shit.

I’m also concerned about soldiers.

Fed is largest employer.

Lots gets shut down

which is part of the problem. Fucking machine is way bigger than it was ever intended that it can swing it's weight around and threaten to leave. More than half the population is collecting some sort of check from that piece of garbage. They're going to keep right on voting whatever maintains that - and fight violently against whatever threatens it.

I had to format it that way since the system thinks CDC is spam for some reason.

Isn't it illegal not to pay overtime, or follow the law? As in that's something employees can report to the police. Also, 'fair wages'? If someone was making 10/hr and the employer tries to drop them to minimum wage they would quit and create more issues for the employer. Stop thinking your department is anything more than the unnecessary bloating of government

They all get back pay when it opens back up. Cry me a river, extra paid vacation.