Arguably the payoff for the entire arc, this fight establishes the importance of Gon and Killua’s friendship...

Arguably the payoff for the entire arc, this fight establishes the importance of Gon and Killua’s friendship, the dangerous nature of the Zoldyck family, and sets into motion many of the series later events.’99 often likes to use POV shots to involve the audience more intimately in the fights. During his match with Killua, we get a strong sense of what kind of a person Illumi is.

Now look at the 2011 version. Who is this clown and why should we care?? Is he supposed to be threatening? Because nothing in this scene effectively conveys that. The lack of POV shots is doubly problematic, not just in their absence but in how nothing meaningful replaced them. They couldn’t have phoned in Illumi’s introduction more. Worse yet, instead of the visceral images of ’99, 2011 uses a generic hypnotic spiral to signify Illumi’s control over his brother.

2011′s terrible soundtrack makes this scene even worse. While ’99′s OST is often fitting, very much so during the Illumi fight, 2011 uses a lot of out of place electric guitar riffs. I couldn’t help but think the 2011 Illumi is supposed to be some jaded hair metal bassist instead of a ruthless killer. Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PV6aVAlrrLc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Another brilliant HxH thread.

what's wrong with my post?

the fact it's the same damn thread over and over

god hxhfags are obnoxious they're just as bad as DBfags

man I like 999 version of this scene cause instead of just making the close up of illumi dark they made the entire scene, probabably could have done that as soon as illumi was revealed. while I am more of a fan of 2011 I cant help but feeling that sometimes the show is too "bright"

I sort of like the new one's approach more conceptually. Instead of having him just take over the whole scene, it's portrayed normally since while everyone else is weary of him, they don't really grasp how terrible Illumi as much as Killua, highlighted how besides from Killua's perspective, the scene is shown normally, making Illumi's effect on Killua stand out that much more. I do agree in regards to the music, though.

Practically every thread on this site is a re-hash

I suspect the 99 anime is superior to 2011 up to yorkshin, but I just didn't have the time to watch the same unfinished show twice so I had to choose 2011.

Why the fuck is HxH99 hit so hard with the fanboys blatantly cherry-picking scenes that looked good and pretending that the rest of the show doesn't look like complete dogshit? Is it because most people find them posting the same images and examples so obnoxious that they don't even watch it to refute them?

That's pretty much it. The Hunter's exam arc was much more detailed in the '99 adaptation. Generally what people complain about the 2011 anime is that it's not as dark as the '99, which I agree. The colors and animation don't help regarding that too.

Personally, I think the fact that the 99 series was hand drawn is another reason why it is superior. It allows from more diverse expression and can captures the mood and atmosphere far more that the usual static faces.

You know anime is still hand drawn, right?

Most of the show looks better than 2011.

you can hate on everything else in 11' but the music was strictly superior. 99' had low budget garbage for the majority of its tracks. Well Yorkshin had a few pretty good ones but the hunter exam arc was mostly trash.

most of both shows looked pretty bad desu
They both had random upspikes in terms of quality and animation, butthe difference is 99' had muh grain and hand done coloring (until GI...)

The art style looks like shit, the motion is often godawful and inconsistent, the characters are off-model frequently, and it's not at all helped by the fact that the DVD quality fucks up the colors.

I think they both looked pretty mediocre in general, but '99 had a good palette and better style.

and it begins.

>much more detailed in the '99 adaptation
You're confusing detailed and bloated with fillers and bad characterisation that contradicts later events in the original story.

>you can hate on everything else in 11' but the music was strictly superior
It was so clearly inferior that I didn't think anyone else could hold your opinion. Everyone hated the 2011 soundtrack when it was airing, what kind of revisionist bulllshit are you pulling?

What begins, people deciding not to accept cherry-picking as fact? People actually watching both and forming their own opinions?

I enjoy both animes but for fuck sakes 99fags needs to stop pretending like there preferred version doesn't have about a handful of well done scenes and the rest of the anime is completely uneventful when it isn't being dramatic as fuck.

you speak for everyone?
I'll admit I watched 11' first but I really liked the tracks, particularly the hunter fanfare and
youtube.com/watch?v=PV6aVAlrrLc

>off-model
Meme criticism, more often than not a good thing in some examples I've seen people complain about (Naruto vs Pain), though 99's animation wasn't as good the direction more than made up for it. The art style and color designs set the tone much better than 2011 which conveyed nothing to the audience and only made the colors duller for the Chimera Ant arc because that was the only way the staff could've portrayed the dark themes, very amateur.

To a much lesser extent

There are of course good examples of it but the ones in this show are just the result of poor art, not any stylistic choices.

>2011
>looking like the manga
>99
>looks like a shitty low budget generic 90's anime

2011fags delusional as always

How is he wrong?

>Arguably the payoff for the entire arc, this fight establishes the importance of Gon and Killua’s friendship, the dangerous nature of the Zoldyck family, and sets into motion many of the series later events.’99 often likes to use POV shots to involve the audience more intimately in the fights. During his match with Killua, we get a strong sense of what kind of a person Illumi is.
>Now look at the 2011 version. Who is this clown and why should we care?? Is he supposed to be threatening? Because nothing in this scene effectively conveys that. The lack of POV shots is doubly problematic, not just in their absence but in how nothing meaningful replaced them. They couldn’t have phoned in Illumi’s introduction more. Worse yet, instead of the visceral images of ’99, 2011 uses a generic hypnotic spiral to signify Illumi’s control over his brother.
>2011′s terrible soundtrack makes this scene even worse. While ’99′s OST is often fitting, very much so during the Illumi fight, 2011 uses a lot of out of place electric guitar riffs. I couldn’t help but think the 2011 Illumi is supposed to be some jaded hair metal bassist instead of a ruthless killer.

That doesn't prove him wrong. Someone in this thread gave a similar but very simple and poorly explained but similar nonetheless explanation for why he thinks the new version's execution fits better. Neither way of looking at it is wrong and his statement isn't even addressed by that lazily copied-and-pasted reply.