How close are we to a post-scarcity society?

Is the increasing NEET lifestyle and the gibmees explosion a sign of things to come?

I mean, how many people do actually need to work to uphold society, i.e. provide food, clothing, electricity and shitty games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We need bullies again these nerds suck

>How close are we to a post-scarcity society?

Jews don't want post scarcity.... well, they don't want post scarcity for you.

They want slaves.

Depleting the resources of our planet is the sign of things to come for your kids, maybe for yourself. At least the pensions are secured for every german worker.

>Jews don't want post scarcity.... well, they don't want post scarcity for you.

So how close are we to post scarcity? What if robots feed cattle, milk cattle, then kill cattle and package the meat and other robots drive them to the supermarket? Aren't robots already make all the clothing? What about electricity, hydropower can already run on like 2-3 workers for a whole city.

And No Man's Sky only required 12 metrosexual Brits to make!

Basically what happened when the internet became popular is that the nerds (OP pic related) went mainstream and are now called nu-males, soy boys etc.

Their place was then taken by the nu-nerds, aka alt-right, anons, pepe the froggers etc. who praise Chads known before the internet as the normies, the high school football team captains etc.

holy motherfuck i thought the open mouth numale thing was a meme...

>All nerds are nu-males
Fuck no we aren't. I'm a nerd but I'm not a god damned bugman or a soy boy.
I have my hobbies, they cost a minimal amount and I don't give a shit about defending wymyn online.
Want proof? Gamergate was a definitive moment in proving there are some aspects of nerd culture that haven't yet been subsumed by these fuckers.

really makes you think

that guy opens that shit like an animal wtf?

Video games and nerdy hobbies are used as scapegoats for numales far too much. Don't forget that many people originally came to Sup Forums during gamergate because they were worried about feminists infiltrating their dear gaming subculture.

Also, there is literally like ~10 soyboy pictures in total that are recycled from thread to thread. Not very epidemic if you ask me.

good kitter

Anyone got the "Nu Male Sky" shoop?

We need more attack cats to save the west from the soy menace

We are reaching the peak availability of a few critically important things. Within most of our lifetimes bulk phosphorus will be much more expensive to extract.

Just when you thought pepe and wojak had given all they had to give

>Aren't robots already make all the clothing?
No, 3rd world sweatshop labor is.

Post scarcity is probably just a meme and definitely a meme for a society that will expand to fulfill any production. If you implemented strict control on births and sent yourself to only produce what you needed in excess you could probably do so, but the society needed for that isn't remotely close to what we have now.

To have true post scarcity you would need literal alchemy to make any matter out of any other, so how close do you think we are on that?

We're already there, but we somewhere decided that the worth of a man comes from his work, so we can't stop working, and can't stop forcing everyone to work.
This is the root cause of so many of the things that are wrong today. Technology is cheap and easy to make, but we still have to employ a shitton of people, so we have to overproduce and overconsume.

>So how close are we to post scarcity?

that's a pretty good question... and the answer is extremely complex.

Post scarcity means different things for different commodities and services.

For example, municiple water supplies have brought cheap affordable water to nearly everyone in the developed world (discounting poisons in the water supply of course), so water could be considered NEAR post scarcity, due to it's low cost and availability.

on the other end of the spectrum, we have land... something which will NEVER be post scarcity.

Some services can be quite easily automated, and some can't.

Therefore, some products can be easily made by automation, and some can't.

But, when discussing the manufacture of products, even discounting the cost of energy and production, you still have resource scarcity, which sort of relates to land scarcity.

We have a limited supply of all resources (barring efficient recycling, which can't be used for some resources), so they will NEVE Rbe post scarcity.

Mainly, post scarcity usually applies to the essentials of life, food, water, and shelter.

And while food could theoretically be made near post scarcity, and water CAN be made post scarcity...

Shelter cannot be made post scarcity, because of the limited supply of both Land, and the resources to make adequate shelter.

So, it's a tricky question to answer, but this post should point you in the right direction for understanding the problem further.

Add helium and Cobalt. Lithium batteries are gonna have problems surviving in market.

WE may already be there in certain aspects.

The real problem would be the transition.

Post scarcity seems difficult with perpetual population growth (especially via immigration). I think the likes of Japan are likely to achieve it much sooner than the west.

>on the other end of the spectrum, we have land... something which will NEVER be post scarcity.

Let's call it space rather than land, shall we. Space can be multiplied in a post scarcity environment by just building huge skyscrapers.

Also, our population is stagnating in industrialized countries and I was talking about a post-scarcity environment here rather than in third world shitholes.

Why do they do that? Mouth agape and eyes widened whenever a photo is taken

Feigning happiness and excitement. Those photos are taken in pure attention seeking purposes, they are never spontaneous moments of joy.

>Let's call it space rather than land, shall we. Space can be multiplied in a post scarcity environment by just building huge skyscrapers.

True, but skyscrapers are much more costly in terms of service (construction) and resources than just single story dwellings.

So, you run into scarcity again.

Infinitely far away.

>True, but skyscrapers are much more costly in terms of service (construction) and resources than just single story dwellings.
Not in a robotics society. Concrete is sand/stones, water and cement. Glass is literally sand (quartz) too. Interiors are made of wood or metal and plastic. All of which is available in the Earth crust and can be extracted through robotic machines run on electricity or biofuels.

Your post is as if someone wrote 10,000 lines of code at once and expected it to compile first try. All idealism, no pragmatism, apparently no experience.

this is how you spot fake engineers. they don't understand friction (in the Clausewitz sense) and think it can be hand-waved away - because in their actual domain, which is 100% socially constructed, it usually can be

Watch out watch out watch out OOH tutu tutuuuuuu tututuuuuu

We need mandatory service at the age of 18 for a whole year.

A good beaten inside the barracks will teach anyone how to be a man

>All of which is available in the Earth crust and can be extracted through robotic machines run on electricity or biofuels.

yes, but they still cost something, and you are still going to need structural steel for anything usable above like 5 stories. that requires blast furnaces, chemicals, industrial presses, etc...

Time, effort, labor, resources, mining, transportation, etc...

And you STILL have to build on land, and land is still scarce. (As in, not infinite.)

>Time, effort, labor, resources, mining, transportation, etc...

Everything except labor is required. Labor can be replaced by robots. And that means time, effort, mining, transportation etc. are all not a problem any more.

The (post)modern capitalist system needs scarcity to function properly. There is always more debt than there is currency, eg. the basis of the modern banking system.
Another more important premise is that while goods and services (and time) are limited, human needs are not. This may or may not be factually true depending on what school of though you subscribe to, but it's built into the system. As soon as an individual or group completes a goal, they immediately need something else and some other form of product, labor or resource becomes scarce for that group.
Also you need to think of the planet as a spacecraft with soft limits on how much waste it can reprocess and how much raw materials it can provide. Now these limits can obviously be raised with good environmental engineering and management, but they will always be limits.
We will never have a post-scarcity society within capitalism, and every alternative will have to quantify the value of critical resources such as fuel and work. In other words, we will never ever get rid of money.

We are already there. It costs more for the police to come and arrest a thief than it actually costs to just let a thief get away with stealing basic stuff.

I kind of agree with you, but these people are a product of their education system and their workplace. The system rewards submissive and infantile behavior, because those sorts of people never rebel or stand up for themselves.

But you are still running into the original problem of land being scarce.

And on top of that, prime location land is doubly scarce.

You can somewhat mitigate this by having robots do all of the work, but the maximum height of a building still limits that.

As close as we’ve ever been. Post-scarcity is a spook.

>We are already there. It costs more for the police to come and arrest a thief than it actually costs to just let a thief get away with stealing basic stuff.

If the cops don't show up and arrest the person then it shows there are no consequences for the actions of stealing and then everyone just starts to steal shit and before you know it everything has gone brazil tier.

What's really scarce here is strategic value and/or social status. You can burn half a trillon dollars trying to build arcologies in the Sahara, but no one will want to live in them or move their business there without heavy incentive.

We probably will never reach post-scarcity. If there's resources to exploit, we will continue to reproduce until some of the resources we need become scarce. Then growth will stagnate until and unless new resources to exploit are found.

>What's really scarce here is strategic value and/or social status.

precisely.

Land is only as valuable as it's location, or the resources within it.

And that will not change until we start building sprawling megacities that span the globe. (LITERAL global city-scape)

WHY THE FUCK DO THEY ALWAYS OPEN THEIR MOUTHS LIKE THAT? DO THEY WANT MY SOMALIAN DICK OR SOMETHING?

No where close and moving farther away. Boomer pension commitments are going to bring down the western economies within 20 years.

that's just your greatest fear, as long as it's regulated, people taking what they really need (groceries, water, electricity) costs almost nothing

the reason why f.e. food prices are so high in Switerland isn't because the food itself is expensive, it's because the people who work in the stores are expensive (and they are not really needed in the first place)

oh boy i love these threads

Stop mocking me and my wife's son

It's a shitty imitation of an old viral video of a kid in the 90's getting a Nintendo 64 for xmas.

youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

What the hell is this autism?

A kid being kid.

childhood

robots, like all machines, require maintenance
moving parts wear out, capacitors pop...
a robot that can reliably diagnose & repair other robots is science fiction. we have nothing that can do that job anywhere close to the level of a human engineer, and no one posting here will still be alive if/when we finally achieve it