One in Four Anime Studios Reportedly Losing Money

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/05/19-1/one-in-four-anime-studios-reportedly-losing-money

Interesting Article

Other urls found in this thread:

otakuusamagazine.com/LatestNews/News1/One-in-Four-Anime-Studios-in-the-Red-Says-Report-8977.aspx
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-29/report-anime-industry-up-12-percent-in-2015/.107055
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>crunchyroll

CRASH WHEN

Shirobako was a shitty show.

After olympics

>studios are broke pls buy a Crunchyroll™ Premium™ Account™ and support the industry

>75% of Anime is Shit
>25% of anime studios lose money

Reminder that no hollywood movie has made profit ever.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Non Crunchyroll link:
otakuusamagazine.com/LatestNews/News1/One-in-Four-Anime-Studios-in-the-Red-Says-Report-8977.aspx

wut

>g-guys but the industry is f-fine!
That one graph fags 𝓑𝓣𝓕𝓞

Wouldn't be surprised if we had a crash eventually

Never. Industry as a whole improves over 10% every year.

Maybe those studios should just stop making shit LN adaptations.

damn i guess I'll need 2 crunchyroll subs then

Hollywood movie needs to make over 2.5 times it's production budget to start making money.

LN adaptions are pretty safe for the studio since most of it is paid for by the company who distributes said-LN. Original productions are a killer since most of those tank hard.

Revenue != profit

Horseshit. Nobody would make an anime like Girlish Number if that was the case.

Good. That's what they get for losing all orginality and trying too hard to pander.

Are you stupid? Anime is super cheap to produce. Anime industry makes 20b $ a year. Hollywood makes 40b $ a year.

Now compare the cost of making Hollywood movies to the cost of making anime and guess which industry makes a better profit.

That's a lot less than expected, honestly.

You know the best money makers in recent years were yuri pandering like Love Live and fujo pandering like Yaoi on Ice right?

>Anime industry makes 20b $ a year
Please give animators some of that money

They're people too you know

Of course they are. Because they are stupid. There is a limited number of people who buy anime related stuff. That number is not very flexible. Putting out 30 shows per season is retarded because it's obvious not all of them will sell.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-29/report-anime-industry-up-12-percent-in-2015/.107055

Key animators get paid about the same as a salaryman in their age group

>30 shows per season

You mean 50.

They should form a union or something. Rural people voted Trump into office, what are animators doing?

They should make animes of American classics like Seinfeld if they want to make money.

>animator's unionize
>half of all anime now drawn in corea
>the other half's CGI

>what are animators doing?
Starving?

Aren't most anime already drawn in SK?

One in four is better than I would have expected.

According to the charts being posted the revenue is going up and the production companies or w/e are making more profits, while the animation companies aren't.

Doesnt this happen in all the branchs of business? Why is it surprising that may be companies in the anime industry that are losing money?

I mean, not all business can be successful, that would be an utopy.

Nah, the key animation is still done in Japan, only the inbetweening is outsourced to korean sweatshops

When China crashes. So never outside of World War III or another debt collapse.

Maybe those stupid gooks should finally start to pander to us if they want money

Is this the work of Daiz?

>
>157412482
That is because their accountants make the Mafia look like honest people.

Well Sup Forums? Which studios do you think are losing money?

Can't believe nobody has asked this yet.

this. if you watch egoraptor's interview with trigger, they even said despite the west liking their show and donating all that money to the kickstarter they still don't give a shit about the west and make what they think japs will like.

Nah, all studios that pander to the male and female otakus are the ones surviving.
Only stupid studios that make westernshit garbage like Gangsta are the ones going down.

>A-user my company isn't doing well, can you lend me some money... for some services?

Gonzo

>they still don't give a shit about the west and make what they think japs will like.
But again and again, it's been shown that elevens have the worst taste in anime!

>implying the west buys anime

Their only bargaining chip is "at least we aren't Korean, Chinese, or Indonesian."

Reports say it's Actas

You'd think they'd run dry sooner or later.

That's implying they have worse working ethics which is highly retarded.

Maybe we'll stop getting as many tv shows

It's sad that my first thought was "that's it?"

Again?

Haven't they declared bankruptcy like 3 times already?

No, they lost money because you retards keep pirating your animu even when you can watch it in a legal way.
Please subscribe to Crunchyroll to save the Anime industry.
Don't forget to tell all your families and friends to subscribe too.
More Crunchyroll's subscriptions = more chances of saving the Anime industry.
So, please please please subscribe!

Many studios have tried over the decades.
All of them failed.
Based on the decades of cheap change they get for licensing in the west, I doubt any of the established studios will try again.
They rather focus on emerging Asian markets.

DP? Though DIU was fairly successful

>Haven't they declared bankruptcy like 3 times already?
I think so.

Some of them should get into politics and promise to make anime great again.

>yfw Netflix, Funi, and Disney start outright buying anime studios after 2020

Why won't Gonzo just fucking die already?

>Anime industry makes 20b $ a year.

Where are you getting these numbers?

Disney doesn't seem to care about 2d animation anymore. Unless it's cheap TV shit.
Netflix probably will, though.

This is all but inevitable.

There has got to be some way to tap in to the monsterous potential revenue market of gaijin anime fans, and I can't believe somebody hasn't figured out how to really monetize it yet.

It seems even Hollywood sees this and that's why they keep trying to make live action movies from anime and manga scripts, even though most attempts have failed so far.

If Trump follow through with launching capital controls, they will have a hard time of doing so.
If he is lying about that, then they may able to buy lots of share in Kadokawa, which are the major holding company of the Japanese entertainment.

You should be more fearful of Amazon.

>implying Gonzo dies when it's killed

Do studios still rely on DVD sales? And when they sell 20000 it is an accomplishment?

They are taping gaijin anime fans market.
In Asia using streaming services.
Since China, Taiwan and South Korea hold similar cultural values as Japan do, their entertainment need very little localization except for dubbing to be popular.

>"journalism"
>grammar mistake in first sentence

edit:
>TWO grammar mistakes in first sentence.

It's inevitable. The world order loves corrupting and ruining mediums and turning them into propaganda golems.

>Disney doesn't seem to care about 2d animation anymore.
It really makes me sad. They've got so much capital to work with. Probably the strongest marketing and distribution platform in entertainment media, as deep pockets as any production company ever, and an army of talented animators and artists. Even if they just set aside a little bit of that for 2D projects, and not just for the occasional animated short, that could still be enough to put out some really good stuff.

See:

You don't make movies to made a profit.

Yeah, but thats chump change compared to figuring out how to tap in to the US and European weeaboo market.

I think Japan's idiotic narcissism is gonna cause them to lose out on the opportunity to western corporations.

I think the only way to fix this is that studio should increase the vested interest on particular projects to generate more potential profit.

However ROI could taken years and other production committee member may financial strong arm the studios away from this tactic to maintain control & status quo.

Since the chance of financial failure is quite high and most studios especially the new ones can't afford to risk the gamble.

This is also exacerbate with the current structure of the freelance animator market. Where by talent will follow the larger talent per say or work where they want. While other individuals burn out or stuck in limbo due to industry load increase, production cycle downtime, money and training.

So with talent in flux everywhere, majority of studios can't afford to make new successful IPs to strengthen themselves in the industry while providing decent wages.

The European market is doomed. Muslims will soon turn it into a caliphate and impose Sharia law, making anime illegal.

Then why? Seriously curious

Sup Forums, pls

As far as I can tell, the big reason that they don't 2d anymore is so that they can rapidly remake their movies and tweak things.
There's the stories of Pixar remaking Toy Story from scratch three times, and recently Disney redoing Frozen like a month out from its opening.
Once you have the 3d models, it's much easier to do things with them than it is to have to draw actually draw it out.

The US market actually has a severe lack in manpower for competent 2D animators currently. Most of the good ones are old enough now to the point where they're mostly retired and don't do much work themselves, and the young blood are all flash-trained with little to no training or experience in professional-level 2D animation.

I say 'flash-trained' because I'm making the distinction here between 2D flash animation (the garbage effused by every current western 'animation studio') and non-flash 2D animation. Flash is bad but cheap, which is why it took over animation in the west, where the target audience is children.

To those that think the western market has value, maybe you could give some insight into why?
Other than viewership numbers it's well known that the west doesn't have much of a culture of paying premium for stuff they want to own.
Streaming gives little money back unless you basically lock the market into using your service by either providing a better service than pirates or better quality. In the case of netflix and other streaming services it's easy to see why they started making money with that, but anime, manga, VNs and the like are very easy to obtain and consume. No service right now is better or easier than just straight up pirating anime.
Also, anime has always been a mostly long term revenue business model or promotional one. I.e. anime breaks even in a year, then makes money by the second or third year, even more, or it doesn't but it sells toys or the merch it's supposed to promote.
Such a model makes no sense in the west unless people start, en masse, buying BD seasons which cost between 100-500 bucks, in the west you see 50 buck seasons that come in DVD or a single BD, obviously shows what people are willing to pay over here.
Also, unless the same producers make sure that anime airing in the west is also supported by the same merch that japan has, then in the end no one is buying the merch it's supposedly promoting. What I mean is, if they make an anime promoting a LN, but the LN is not in english, what's the point? sell anime? of course not. And if it's a plamo commercial, or they intend to sell stationery, or goods in general, then that shit has to also be available, otherwise the anime alone can't carry that franchise by itself in sales in the west.
The west will always be an afterthought until the west starts dropping serious money into it, or the japs fully sell the whole package over here.

>According to the report, the total market value of the anime industry in 2015 was 1.83 trillion yen (about US$18.1 billion)
>market value

Having a market value of $20 billion does not mean they make $20 billion a year.

German here , its now against the law to watch anime in public because of sharia

/thread

>Flash is bad but cheap, which is why it took over animation in the west, where the target audience is children.
Flash took over because of Newgrounds.

Just pay the animators less, use more CGI, and reuse footage.

That ought to cut costs down.

True, even Hulu is probably more appropriate than Funimation, though I'm sure there'll have to be a way that they manage to survive if anime starts getting consolidated by media corporations

It feels more like there is a way to make money, they just haven`t figured it out yet. Just like the internet in general.

Oh that reminds me.

Use more panning still shots with speed lines instead of actual animation.

Oh, the Tezuka style again.

The formula is honestly simple as fuck, and Hollywood is eventually gonna figure it out if Japan doesn't.

The problem with all these live action anime movies is that they're fucking live action. People like anime primarily because of the visuals, not the stories.

Just make anime with incredibly great production values and stories that are digestible to westerns, find a way to market it, and you'd probably make bank.

Not our fault Japan is horrible at playing/understanding the market. They are too afraid to station in the US and instead rely heavily on third parties like CR which minimizes the profit, also they do not understand the most $ you should be spending is on advertizement.

They have been churning out shitty 12 episode long adaptations for LN for years now. It's no surprised less and less people care. Not to mention streaming has become far more popular nowadays.

It's pointless because westereners aren't used to paying $300-800 per series