Why can't Japan do CG right in cartoons? Pic related is arguably the best they've ever done and it's still terrible...

Why can't Japan do CG right in cartoons? Pic related is arguably the best they've ever done and it's still terrible. Kizumonogatari was also jarring as heck.

Western animated shows like Trollhunters, or hell that fucking Shrek spin-off show about the cat that nobody watched (not even me) are still a million miles better.

Insiders explain this pls. Why is Advent Children still the only relevant CG?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU
youtube.com/watch?v=o0K7XTTNuc8
youtube.com/watch?v=E6NqsT2q0-U
youtu.be/r37ARGRJC-k
youtube.com/watch?v=BFmI_HBrLBQ
youtu.be/gZXBU3bURWc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you have any western examples that aren't atrocious looking?

Despite the memes, Japan is actually really bad at technology. The only thing that they have that trumps other countries is their autistic obsession to details.

I mean, you're talking about a country that still does 99% of all of their office/clerical work in hard paper instead of emailing pdfs.

Their videogames are still top tier compared to the western ones. 3DCG is utter shit in general for everyone (in before muh pixar, its shit)

I gave you two but I guess you want a picture. Let's not make this a whatabout thread, western art is irrelevant. If anime studios keep documenting experimenting with animation outside of traditional 2d in order to save money, well by golly they can at least try and make it look ok.

I don't see any reason why anime-cg translations would be unsuccessful other than lack of experience with the medium I suppose.

Pic related is from Guillerme del Toro also, who did Pacific Rim that mecha LA movie, and is why I used him as an example.

Pixar is better than KyoAni.

Advent children and Kingsglaive are not limited by the anime style. But still, Ajin was far from being the best one, there was Bubuki Buranki and this season there's ID-0 too.

And you call that crap good? Western CGI series are atrocious. The literal dead of animation.

Japan is great with technology. Not so much with software, but high tech isn't only software

They're slightly better than CalArts-style flash animation. Only slightly better, but still better.

You need money to make good-looking CG. Most anime is low-budget entertainment.

I've wanted to ask this for a while, does anyone think that the classic 2D anime style (big eyes, acorn heads and gravity defying hair) really translate well into 3D?

Barring some MMD stuff (with craptons of shaders, plug-ins, etc.), what are some good examples of "great" anime-to-3d models?

Tron has the best CG in the game. Once you get used to the style it all flows with nice angles and looks brilliant in motion.
Can other shows even compete?

Litterally just take a look at anime styled video game cutscenes, especially cyberconnect 2

>b-but those are just games it won't transfer

they did an anime short and it looks great: youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU

The issue is that anime studios for whatever reason animate shit at absurdly low framerates/at bad keyframes and in general just treat it like 2d animation instead of using 3d to it's strengthes

>cartoons
>heck
>pls
>reddit spacing
>didn't watch Gantz
Good luck finding any western release even close to that level of quality.

because japs are OCD about adhering to "tradition". Most animation studios neither have the money nor the time to develop the staffing and technique necessary to make fully featured 3D animated films. It also doesn't help having old faggots like Miyazaki holding back the genre by saying anything new is "trash" without looking at its merits.

Why isthat fella using an Ashbringer?

It's not necessarily lack of experience, a lot of it is lack of time. Airing anime is often made on incredibly tight schedules where the studio is working on the series as it airs. This is especially bad for CG which needs more corrections than 2D productions due to problems that can crop up due to model issues. Much worse in comparison to western studios that can have full seasons finished before they air.

The larger budget of western CG productions means they can outsource things out of house, which usually works better for 3D. Once the models are rigged anyone can animate or correct them, and they'll always look consistent.

Also most of the top 3D dudes go into games, since anime is a real nightmare salary wise.

They intentionally lower the framerate so it looks like 2D anime. Western CG cartoons do not do this, they animate shows in CG as an actual separate medium from 2D.

Meanwhile CG in anime seems to want to replicate the 2D look entirely, not really become its own medium. Probably to save time and money.

>Pic related is arguably the best they've ever done
Nah.

Is there any CG western animated movie that doesn't have the same art style? Legit question, because it seems to me like there's already a template. Yes, they look good but it seems like they're all stuck with the same design, especially the girls.

Despite the ears and tail I kept wondering the whole time if the rose thing was a nose or a small smile.

Sanrio bux

ID-0 looks pretty good imo. The grills are actually cute.

The whole show wasn't CG, but the fight scenes in Etotama were impressive.

youtube.com/watch?v=o0K7XTTNuc8

They can. They just prioritize better CG in video games rather than movies or anime.

Watch Doraemon
youtube.com/watch?v=E6NqsT2q0-U

>Pic related is arguably the best they've ever done
Not even close. Hell, just look how good the recent Gantz movie looked.

youtu.be/r37ARGRJC-k

Is the movie any good?

It's worth watching for the visuals, and super fucking catchy credits/trailer song, but as an adaptation it's just average. Cuts a lot of shit to condense everything into a standalone movie, and is mostly fanservice for manga readers while also cutting out a lot of details that fans actually wanted.

youtube.com/watch?v=BFmI_HBrLBQ

>Pic related is arguably the best
Hahaha no.

The Book of Life and Shrek stand out as looking different IMO.

The CG eventually grow on me, Ronja's voice though was fucking shit.

How did we go from Tartokovsky's series to this?

At sec 5 you can clearly see that it has no depth, hence it's a nose.

To achieve a proper "anime style", the 3D model needs to be deformed and retouched. So does shading and physics.
At that point, it's neither cheaper nor more time saving than hiring a slave to draw. And those are pretty much the only reason why they even consider 3D.

I don't fucking know.

tartarovsky clone wars was shit.

That's not strictly true. You can achieve the same sort of look as your example image without actual model disrotion with the right shaders or just having flat "layers" of a face that always face the camera that aren't actually a model but textures in a 3d space.

Have you checked out Kado? It's a fully CG anime like Sidonia, except unlike Sidonia it doesn't look like an alien's depiction of what humans would look like.

Because most anime is based on manga

Nyanbo was fantastic.

The Lupin III 3DCG pilot looked pretty decent IMO. Too bad it didn't get any further than that.

youtu.be/gZXBU3bURWc

They only hire the good CGI people in Japan for video games, not for anime.