Terraforming Mars

Is it even possible? Would a terraformed Mars be fully independent? There would be a 25 minute delay in communication on average because of the distance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yesyhQkYrQM
youtube.com/watch?v=1nZn3gMHPxg
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast01oct_1
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167791/terraforming-mars
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Two planets filled with degenerate race mixing scum when?

Terraforming is real tech but it requires that 1488 commence. In our lifetime it will not happen

Yes, let’s waste resources terraforming a planet with no air and perchlorates in the soil instead of developing our own. Fucking Muskcucks actually want to do this.

Can anyone explain how with no magnetosphere

Probably, but let the people in the year 2525 deal with that shit.

More like 3525

>instead of
Why not do both?

The moon is filled with water. Mars is filled with combustible gas and water. It won't take much to make an atmosphere on the planet. The moon is literally a hopping stone for us to colonize mars. You're an idiot if you can't see the truth

we produce atmosphere on Mars faster than it can be stripped away is what I've heard

We should terraform Earth first

Probably, but "In the Year 3525" isn't a song.

youtube.com/watch?v=yesyhQkYrQM

Bioforming > Terraforming

youtube.com/watch?v=1nZn3gMHPxg

Not massive enough to hold an atmosphere. Game over.

Trying to terraform Mars is like trying to revive a corpse.
I wish people thought this bullshit through more often.

Because, we can't even do one of them.

imagine playing black forest with some martian faggot that has like 9 million ms ping

Terraformed and colonised within two weeks.

mars has plenty of water, we'd just need to decompose all of the harmful chemicals in the soil

It's a good way for the elite to launder taxpayer money into BS programs like NASA.

1.) Produce an atmosphere from what?
2.) Why waste all those resources on a loser plan?

Go there, burn a bunch of garbage and tires and shit to thicken up the atmosphere, then introduce space-ice to the planet and melt it, introduce co2 reliant plants to convert, maybe piss off a volcano or two and get the new ocean roiling, bacteria and kelp and shit, yknow.

Lol. Calm your tits

I'd never considered that.
It's so obvious in retrospect.

I vote we send the Jews to Mars and let them figure it out. Either that or genocide them.

Retard

Itll happen. Just it wont be whites leeading the charge.

A engineered microorganism that eats perchlorate and produces CO2 launched via probe onto the planet for first phase. Followed by a hardy engineered oxygen producing planets for the second...

If you're focusing on a "25 minute delay," you're failing to grasp the larger picture because you're still viewing Mars as tied to the Earth.

Imagine what it will mean for humanity, for FREEDOM as a concept when the people of Mars cast off the chains of Earth rule and declare independence. One planet under God, ruled by the glorious Martian people.

What a step forward for Republican virtue that will be. Finally the bell of freedom will ring through the cosmos.

Just assume that everything is a lie and someone is always trying to steal from you and fuck you in the ass and you'll go far senpai.

>planets
Plants is what I meant.

daily reminder the sararh desert is bigger then eurpore and any terraforming would be $10^4 cheeper there

no magnetic field. martians BTFO

Nope, it will be the monkeys. They're about to surpass Blacks in a decade or so and then they'll surprisingly be successful at going into space in search of their God, the Ultimate Banana.

Not enough mass to sustain an atmosphere. Enjoy living in your biodome, food delivery in 6-8 months.

Fuck no. I'm gonna have to stop you right there. New California does not get to come. Those fruit faerie faggots can stay on Earth. Or we can send them to Mercury.

Yes, by impacting it with comets from the Oort cloud. After the nuclear winter subsides the water will gather in the lowlands and the icecap will reach a fifth of the way down from the poles.
This will have to be done every century, give or take, so underground living arrangements would be prudent

It might be possible, but would take centuries to complete, so none of us would ever see a terraformed Mars.

There's no magnetic field from Mars core. Can't Terraform it.

That is like Dallos. That took place on a moon colony, but same story.

My opinion expresed blow is based on the information we have that is made public of our solar system, meaning around the sun and so on!

Based on that model: it is possible to tera. form Mars. The issue would be solving the very obvious fact of motion through vacuum/space and several other knick knacks that just dont add up at the moment. It is posible to solve them hypothetically!

Tera. forming would tak much time and effort!

I am trying to make sense of what we currently present as the situation and construct, imediate construct of our neighbourhood the methods we employ and instruments and keep coming up short.

I can make senso of it just not based on that construct or flat earth stuff!

I fucking hate boomers.

That says New Carolina

Yeah, but then we'll be invaded by giant mutant cockroaches.

you would need to slam a few moons into mars just to give it mass enough to sustain an atmosphere. on top of that, mankind would need to figure out how to jumpstart mar's inner core.

it is a dead world. better off going to saturn or jupiter.

>with no air
nigga
nigga do you even know the fuck is terraforming
nigga so you know what's called "rust"
rust nigga
that shit on yo car
mars is made of that shit
and guess what
that shit is OXIDIZED IRON NIGGA
AND FUCKIN NITROGEN? THAT SHITS IN MARTIAN ICE
SO THAT SHIT YOU SAYIN ABOUT NO AIR
shit nigga the FUCK you think is air

terraforming makes that shit
ignant nigga that's how you got me fucked up

Do you really think that we would ship over everything from Earth to terraform Mars? Are you retarded?

Got a problem shlomo?

Would make more sense to set up lunar outpost for water and energy and harvest asteroids for materials. Produce superior metal alloys and ultra pure pharmaceuticals on moon. Use robots 3D printers etc. to produce resources. Send materials from moon to mars and gradually build large contained structures along with subterranean dwellings on Mars.

We can't even get rid of the cockroaches we already have. I'm not trying to turn this into Starship Troopers.

It would be better to terraform Venus--virtually the same size as Earth. Just need to figure out way to get it spinning faster....which would activate a magnetosphere and that would help cool it. Then figure out a way to get rid of the sulfur dioxide...

>you would need to slam a few moons into mars just to give it mass enough to sustain an atmosphere. on top of that, mankind would need to figure out how to jumpstart mar's inner core.
no, you slam some asteroids at an angle so the rotation speeds up and the core generates a magnetic field again. after you do that the planet will be capable of handling an atmosphere of oxygen and nitrogen, but it won't be able to keep liquid water for any length of time. adding mass is another, much harder thing to do and we should leave it until we have fusion drives.

i am trying to figure out just how stupid most of the posters in this thread are.

mars is dead. its inner core does not rotate, nor does it have mass enough to ever start rotating ever again. at its core, is a dead world.

all these "world building" experts have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

We need to run a pair of jumper cables from Earth to Mars.

Mars has no atmosphere
The reason Mars doesn't have atmosphere is because it was stripped away by solar wind over the law few billion years.

The reason the solar wind did this is because there is no Van Allen Radiation Belt aka magnetosphere to block these high energy particles from blasting the N and O2 away.

The reason there is no Van Allen belt is because there is no spinning molten mantle and solid Ni/Fe core to generate one.
The
reason it has no molten core is because Mars is geologically dead aka an ice cube.
The
reason its geologically dead is because it is significantly smaller than earth and since they were created at about the same time Mars cooled first and quick.

Putting an atmosphere there is a waste, teraforming I a waste. The ONLY first step that would make anything worth while is restarting the geological tectonics by heating the core.

There is no way to do that.

Jupiters moons are much smaller than mars and are still geological active, the Tidal forces kneed the moons like dough continuously keeping their furnace ignited.

With future tech you could change Mars' orbit to eventually attain a stable orbit around Jupiter. Wait a few hundred centuries... You'd have recharged its batteries. Would have a magnetosphere. Worth teraforming.

Giant Defibrillator Ray?

>is it even possible
Not within the next 4-5000 years.

they already did this, there's a movie about it

There are other ways to stop solar radiation, and other death space waves from making contact with the surface. It could very well be a terraformed Mars has constant cloud cover of various elements/chemicals in its upper atmosphere, so you never see space at all. it doesn't have to be just like Earth, just less instantly hostile to human life.

I read a serious paper on this subject several years ago. Assuming continuing exponential advances in technology, it still concludes that it would take a minimum of 10,000 years to terraform mars.
Not gonna happen.

Not to be a buzzkill, but this post would be better on /sci/

>adding mass is another, much harder thing to do

you said that after you also said:

>slam some asteriods at an angle

adding mass isnt the problem. rotation isnt the problem either. jumpstarting that old nickle-iron core is.

you would literally need to destroy the planet itself just to terraform. like, collect the debris and trust that the sun can do another accretion sequence

>Is it even possible?
no

Only real problem is the gravity, there is no way to increase it without increasing its mass or density which would require godlike technology.

Yeah there’s oxygen and nitrogen but there still is no air. Making enough air for the planet along with establishing and maintaining an atmosphere is not something we can do with our currently level of technology and energy resources. Hence why we need to focus on fusion. Also how do account for the perchlorates in the soil?

>Ship people to mars
>Pollute the fuck out of it, and mine for resources at the same time. Build subterrain colonies, while also seeing if there is underground water.
>Force the planet into climate change (Literally do the exact opposite of what Liberals want to do to earth)
>The Co2 will warm the atmosphere, while also making it thick enough to start reflecting radiation.
>The result will create an atmosphere, and Ozone layer.
>Send over/grow plants that can survive in the new atmosphere that will thrive better with tons of Co2 (Most likely genetically modified plants along the lines of algea).
>Rain should be present now, with the greenhouse effect. Though, most likely acidic. There are plants that can withstand this.
>As the plants thrive, they produce oxygen and filter out pollutants out of the air. Eventually, they produce enough oxygen to breath on the planet. This change will probably happen over a LONG time.
>Bodies of water might form, as a result of climate change.
>Natural evolution might occur as well, such as microscopic organisms, and panspermia and transference from earth.

>not selling earth dirt that you homebrew with your own poop to faggot martians

It always bugs me when people say that somehow Mars could be permanently colonized by humans. I'm sure we could actually pump enough air and water and spawn a magnetic field with enough money. The big problem with a planet like Mars is gravity. The planet has a mere 1/3 the gravity of Earth, iirc. We know from prolonged zero gravity (microgravity on ISS, Skylab, Mir, etc.) that bone loss is accelerated in gravity much below our own.

science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast01oct_1

Until we can somehow "fix" Martian gravity, I don't see permanent Martian colonization anytime soon.

this guy gets it.

the moon is 350,000 km away, mars is 56 million km away
thats a shitty fucking hopping stone retard

No I don’t think that, that’s a straw man brainlet.

Problem is there's no atmosphere. So you'd have to put atmosphere on it. Problem there is that it used to have an atmosphere. The same thing that happened to it before would just happen again. Which is that Mars is geologically extinct, so the planet has no magnetic field. Solar winds will blast gas from the atmosphere into space. So in other words, no, it is not possible to terraform Mars. Venus is perhaps a better candidate.

mars doesnt have a strong enough magnetic field. the solar wind is a thing. teraforming mars is a pipe dream. there will be no atmosphere dense enough to support life as we know it beyond microbial

What if a planet/moon collided with mars, and it stayed on course... but the resulting impact reignited the core of the planet. Forcing it to spin again, and produce a magnetic field? Would it be worth it then?

lets just grab a planet then

All we know is that reducing gravity on a human that lived on Earth all their life is a bad thing. However, what would the effect be on children born and raised on Mars?

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167791/terraforming-mars
It's a fun game. I highly recommend it. As for the real thing? Not for milennia.

first we got to terraform earth, faggot

>I have read this factoid one times about how mars lost it's magnetosphere, and then it's atmosphere due to solar winds.
>holy fuck I am such a genius I must EDUCATE those retards because of what anyone could learn in 15 seconds.

this is what i have been saying in this thread.

the best thing mars could do for us is become a gas station. not to fuel journeys to venus, but to the outer planets moons.

venus is just to brutal at this point. we can come back to her later.

Brutal to picture the storms that would amass energy over a planet with such east-west landmasses and endless ocean. Looks like Europe got the area with all the mountains higher than Everest. Wonder what that would mean for that US part near the Gulf of Galileo.

this.

/thread

Who cares about planets, pollute the fuck out of them and turn them into literal resource farms only, then live in a comfy and clean pic related

day of the rake when?

If the object colliding with it we're actually of significant mass to benefit the planet, it would probably be enough to throw it off course. What happens if it is thrown off course? Can humanity afford to risk it's survival on a whim?

>there is no Van Allen Radiation Belt aka magnetosphere
The belts and the magnetosphere aren't the same thing dude, the magnetosphere causes the radiation belts.

>With future tech you could change Mars' orbit to eventually attain a stable orbit around Jupiter.
Creating an artificial magnetic field with satellites would be far easier than moving Mars.

butthurt spacefag can't let go of elon musk's cgi vision

I can tell you're the intellectual you pretend to be.

>The
>reason its geologically dead is because it is significantly smaller than earth and since they were created at about the same time Mars cooled first and quick.
Two things you are neglecting. First is that Earth had a significantly higher amound of radioactive material in the core, the decay of which accounts for much of our geological heating. The second is that the Earth was struck by a protoplanet relatively early in its formation, which collision put a lot of extra energy into the system. In other words, the Earth started off warmer than Mars did.

>There is no way to do that.
There is. You just need to collide another planetoid of sufficient size with Mars. Ceres would probably suffice.

>Jupiters moons
They are so much further away it is not practical to make an attempt. Jupiter is so distant from the sun that photovoltaic panels simply do not function.

I am not saying force it, but if it happens by chance we could take advantage of it. Hopefully, without losing our own planet.

dude you saying a car needs wheels lmao? did you just google that 5 seconds ago bro? XDD

>If I am cynical, I must certainly be correct.

Let's terraform a planet with no shield to solar radiation, what a fantastic idea

Mars has ~ 40% of earth gravity. So a 250lb person on earth weighs 100 lbs on Mars. Physiologicaly, both these weights are in "normal" human range. Meaning if we take that 250 lb person and put them on Mars their body type will adapt to that of the 100 lb person on Earth.

It would be a better idea to colonize venus

>Multicultural Mars
Just nuke it