Will 3D anime ever not look like complete fucking arse?

Will 3D anime ever not look like complete fucking arse?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AoUxjQOQW7A
youtu.be/zExCCHTzBHs
youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU
youtu.be/1vA8AOkQaxA
youtube.com/watch?v=AjXr9Nj5ZbI
youtube.com/watch?v=q0Ib86qUodw
youtu.be/cm8C7csmWNE
youtu.be/LnWpywSGTJU
youtube.com/watch?v=IlRU_J5qYg0
youtu.be/4IpkYTIgEk8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah
Look at Blame and Kimononono friends

>3D anime
Why would you want this?

Stylised ones will age far better than realistic looking ones

yes

No.
Both trash.
The definition of trash.

>massively successful anime and a movie that has become a hit overnight
>shit
Maybe you just have bad taste?

The only thing trash here is your post, buddy. 3D is the wave of the future. Stick to your stupid, shading-free 2D garbage.

The animation is trash and the CG models are trash. This is an objective truth, just deal with it.

GANTZ had many problems. ANimation was not one of them.

Those cg models and animation are beloved by millions
Yet again i have to say
Maybe you just have bad taste?

Not him but they're a fucking meme and you know it. There's a reason why every piece of fan art looks a million times better than the actual show.

A million people loving the McDonalds of animation doesn't make it not McDonalds.

Only when it's done as a stylistic decision (Etotama for example) instead for saving money like most anime.

But some do the budget saving 3d decently well, like YuYuYu where you barely notice the 3d unless you pause or actively look for it.

Eventually it'll just look like normal anime, but it can be made faster and cheaper. That'll be a golden age of anime.

Until that point we'll have to sit through a load of shit. It's always like that.

Are you saying this isn't the pinnacle of animation?

Most fanart looks better than most traditional shows as well
Nobody loves McDonald's itself, they just love the convenience
All McDonald's tier anime are 2D (naruto, bleach one piece)
A better example is cake, everyone loves it because its good

What about them guilty gears

That won't happen unless all anime 3d ends up looking exactly the same, making 3d look as good as 2d is arguably harder than just using actual 2d, see: Guilty Gear Xrd

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=AoUxjQOQW7A

So that's how a furry thinks. Hm, I see.
So I we manage to drag a million of you into gas chambers, the gas chambers will become a good thing for you. Hm, hm.

ASW has commented on how much time, effort and money it took them to have Xrd look as good as it does, not really what you want when making an anime.

It's just a matter of rendering. In the future we'll have rendering engines which will just make it look like anime for you.

How am i a furry
I posted a qt cyborg and defended shows about robots and neko

>In the future we'll have rendering engines which will just make it look like anime for you.
Like I said, that will just make everything look like it was made by the same guys.

3d anime is just an improved 3dpg, so never

>state of the art 3D animation tools
>make all animations run at 8 fps to get that TRADITIONAL ANIMATION feeling

This needs to stop.

That is not bad

Why are you posting a pic of a different game? The harndheld/console Project Diva games have a very different art style to the arcade version.

Is it worth it to watch the Arpeggio of Blue Steel anime if I like the manga? Or does the CG irreparably ruin it?

They are both from the same game.

Kado looks good.

I can smell the sewer from here.

Etotama and Frame Arms Girls look pretty good.

Gravity Rush?

>FAG
It's not that it looks good, it just doesn't look bad.
But they just updated the OP in the last episode replacing a few of the 3d parts wth 2d and it looks so much better in 2d.

Post the rondo duo gifs. You know you have them.

What is that from?

Looks like to love ru to me.

I'm watching Seikaisuru Kado this season and it doesn't look half bad. Fooled me for at least 30 into thinking it wasn't CGI seconds which is pretty good. Characters move very fluently and naturally too, almost too much so.

I didn't think it was so outright lewd

Arse? Read a book next time.

But I'm watching anime for plot, not for animation.

Not as long as shows like Love Live and Kemono Shit keep blowing away series with actual effort put into them.
There is no reason for them to risk losing money animating something well when they can throw something together and make millions.

Rude.

The stock "anime style" just isn't optimized for CG. The two most iconic aspects, the hair and eyes, tend to rely heavy on "cheating" to look right from different angles. Characters will often have a completely different head shape from a 3/4 angle than when they're looking at the camera, because it's the only way the style looks "right". That causes a huge issue with anime-style CG models, where they look weird from certain angles.

Listen friends, I love this too but part of the charm of it was that despite the 3D not looking great, the heart of the show was still allowed to shine through with great character chemistry, a fun soundtrack, and simple world-building.

I think for those of us spoiled with the fluidity of traditional animation, the stiffness of CGI will never satisfy us.

this is true.

That may be true but after I saw the chase at the beginning of episode 1 I dropped it immediately, that's some SAO opening level of bad

western cartoons have a better chance of using 3d effectively, see: Green Lantern: TAS

I also questioned the popularity after that chase scene but I decided to keep going. My personal favorite is the introduction of Beaver in episode 5, but the point at which I changed my mind about the show was at episode 3 with Toki's introduction. It was then that I understood where the heart of the show would be. If you're still I'd say keep watching for a bit more with an open mind. It really is a fun little program.

(That should read "If you're still willing").

I'll give it 3 episodes maybe not this season as I've already got god awful 3D with berserk

I watched the whole thing and it just felt like an anime version of an American cartoon for toddlers but with worse animation.
The characters are pretty one note which was the worst part for me.

It's actually pretty good. There's a few odd bits here and there, but that's true of any format.
And for what it's worth, I couldn't stand the faces in Knights of Sidonia, while Arpeggio was fine to me.

I wouldn't mind 3D animation if it looked as cute and lively as Splatoon. The biggest issue is probably funding though, aside from talented heads.

That's fair. I haven't seen Berserk 3D, that one is truly a shame. All that beautiful line work in the manga goes to complete waste in that respect.

Okay, but what American cartoons for toddlers have you seen where the characters aren't incredibly simple? It personally reminded me of the times I used to watch Amazing Animals or Jeff Corwin.

Sure, the problem with 3D right now is people still sometimes make stuff like this that drops straight into the uncanny valley rather than settling their 3d back on the anime side or going all out to get past it.

As a huge fan of berserk it's sad that it's never and probably will never get a good adaption

>0
What's wrong with her legs?

Tinklebell shit looks too squishy. It looks weird

I definitely feel your pain.
Hang in there.

Sao is beloved by millions, does it mean that it is good?

>Okay, but what American cartoons for toddlers have you seen where the characters aren't incredibly simple?
None but that was kind of my point.
When people are going on and on about how great the characters are I would expect them to have more depth that the cast of PJ Masks.

I thought the Blame movie and khara's Dragon Dentist were very much steps in the right direction. The thing is that both of these were made by studios that put a lot of money and intern training into 3D animation, were as most other studios just outsource it to some other ghetto studio for mechanical pieces like cars or mechas or shit that's too hard to draw on schedule.
The biggest problem with the current way 3D animation is being used is that it's being used to emulate 2D animation. This creates some jarring situations were the 2D animated segments look normal because we're used to the low framerate but the 3D animation is interpolated to resemble hand drawn animation, which makes it look like a janky stop-motion. Sidonia, BBKBRK and Ajin are specially guilty of this shit and the Blame movie had that problem too in some parts.
There's also a problem specific for mecha shows in that the designs for the mecha are ridiculously convoluted and, while they make for killer merchandise, the animation is hard to follow because the silhouette of the robot is too complicated. I remember Gatchaman Crowds also having ridiculous toku designs but they put money into it and the animation looked fine
I give it 10 some years of more janky 3D Berserks for the japs to up the standard and figure out how to make a smooth transition between 2D and 3D. To expect everyone to be on a CyberConnect or ArcSys level would be ridiculous, but I'd like to think that the standards and quality will improve over time

I have the same issue with this that I do with certain flash animation. Each of their body movements look too much like they're pivoting at a pinned point and not really moving in a natural fashion. It makes everything look too mechanical.

There's nothing wrong with simplistic characters though. They're great not because they're complex, but because they have easily identifiable traits that play off each other well. It's the character chemistry that brought the show to life. It's aim was to be a simple and semi-educational adventure story with fun characters. I think it succeeded in doing so.

You could also describe MLP:FIM in that exact same way.
You wouldn't have to change a word.
Anyway I never really got a sense of chemistry between the characters since they were all just instantly friends outside of a few outliers like Lion, Moose, and Raccoon.
It is a cute enough show I guess and if I had to watch it with a younger relative that would be fine but I just felt like I was wasting my time watching it by myself as a grown man.

i also heard that most of the 3d animation talent goes to video game development because it gets paid better

3DCG is the future of anime.

I think shows like Frame Arms Girls do the juxtaposition between 3DCG and 2D fairly well in how they blend the two together and what they choose to have as 3D models. It's less jarring for a small toy to stare vapidly into space for prolonged periods of time or to have stiff awkward movements, while it would be if we were shown the same things but involving characters we're supposed to recognize as humans.

That's understandable.

It's called stylization in animation and it looks good in motion you imbecile

I like them because I played a lot of videogames as a kid so I grew up getting used to the style. I guess that does kinda make me though, so my opinion probably doesn't count to most of you.

There's a French cartoon called Wakfu that did an interesting take on the concept. Instead of making their 3D models match the 2D art, they made the 3D models first and matched the 2D art to them. The result is that the 2D and 3D version of the models can switch out seamlessly within the same shot, based on what the scene calls for.

The only problem is that the show is so low budget that the animation often looks janky, but the technique itself is amazing for how cheap it is.

As a few other people have already said, it has to been as a stylistic choice.

A 3D model isn't going to emulate a 2D style perfectly, unless you go out of your way to deform it & add the imperfections to it that you see in 2D animation.

If you think about all the tricks that 2D animators do to save money, like panning a 2D background, not animating background characters, limiting camera moves that would require redrawing etc; while it may be a lot easier to do things like that with 3D software, it's immediately jarring & obvious.

But once again, as other people have said, if 3D is being used to save money they are going to be using 3D for exactly those things which is why it looks like shit.

If however you look at something like this:
This character lends itself to 3D very well. But you can tell that some linework was added on top, which is actually fine because it's combining the strengths of 2D/3D.

This character...
...does not. This character was designed to look like a 2D character but rendered and animated as a 3D one.

This character...
...was designed to be a 3D character, see what I mean?

better than the chibi shit at 240p on the 3ds

I've only seen people moving goalposts like this on Sup Forums.

What the actual fuck is this?
It surely isn't anime.

Pretty Cure has a decent track record.

youtu.be/zExCCHTzBHs

>not anime
youtube.com/watch?v=y-PudD1UrvU

Happiness Charge in general is probably the peak of Pretty Cute CG

youtu.be/1vA8AOkQaxA

Yes
>when the nips learn a proper style and execution of that style.
youtube.com/watch?v=AjXr9Nj5ZbI

Kira has better CG.
youtube.com/watch?v=q0Ib86qUodw

God, I should really catch up with KiraKira. The pink looks like a serious semen demon.

I didn't care too much for the style of Kirakira which is why I went for HC.

Also kirakira seems a lot less expressive and creative.

My personal favorite designs outside of Heartcatch is DokiDoki youtu.be/cm8C7csmWNE

Well, that's actually amazing. How is it that there are never TV anime with CG this good?

Or like this for what matters?
Toei is even doing a CG anime this season and it doesn't looks this good.

>Or like this for what matters?
To be fair, Precure has an almost unlimited budget, and has included cell shaded CGs for ages. Thet get two movies every year and a lot of that money is spent on refining and improving the CG musical scenes. Its THE anime for young girls in Japan and is a gargantuan franchise at this point so they can afford to have some of the best CG work that also stays on model and looks nice. The movies are where the CG really started to shine, because they had to balance all the different art styles with everyone in the same scene.

youtu.be/LnWpywSGTJU

I think they also came out with a game or set of arcade machines that also make money of the CG models.

Prepare your anus.

>see video
>recommendations have another episode
>search for more on the channel
>find no more
You can't do this to me, is that really all there is?
Loli mouse vs cat is cute as hell.

There's youtube.com/watch?v=IlRU_J5qYg0 but that's it.

Although for me, their Magnus Opus will always be the All Stars DX3 intro, which was unusual because most of the CG scenes are EDs.

youtu.be/4IpkYTIgEk8

>Actually, it's hand drawn; but manipulated by computers. There are two animated videos on the Studio khara vs Cyber Connect 2 project. The Studio khara version is a hand drawn animation, the Cyber Connect 2 version is a cel-shaded 3D animation. This video is the Studio khara version, it is the more elegant and graceful of the two. It is less-kakkoii though.
That's really interesting, I somehow didn't even noticed the difference.

that actually looks cute, kill me.

Rondo Duo isn't 3D.

Maybe

Japs need to import good westerners though, they keep trying without and keep failing

Even pick related has better animation

Too bad the animator overdosed on cat hair.