twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

no

Maybe

I don't know

>6 years later
>Madoka thread up 24/7
I dunno, OP

depends if you like suffering, death, entire episodes of cute girls crying in despair, etc.

make up your mind already user

YOUR NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOOOOOW

Better than anything this season.

It's moeshit

That's my fetish.

I like seeing Madoka all sad and full of despair.

>Flat characters except for Homura
>horrible ending
>design is mediocre

It's above average at best.

It's a masterpiece unless you have severe autism.

7/10

It's okay, some of the narrative elements are clever but not as clever as they thought it was. The characters are mechanical and generic is the biggest problem. OST and visuals are the best part. Rebellion is better than the series.

Have you read this dissertation?

I can understand the people who wrote theses on Eva, but madoka literally just isn't interesting or complex enough to shit out 60 pages on.

If you're approaching the technical aspects, then it definitely is. Remember that an animated work is not the same as a novel, it doesn't necessarily have to be analyzed purely on the basis of the narrative, plot, characters, setting, imagery and the way language constructs them. You can explore things like how shots are framed and transitioned between to create particular meaning (eg. kuleshov effect), or to reference other works or traditions, etc. Or how the storyboarding and approaches to visual presentation emphasize certain details, and why those details may be important in a micro or macro interpretation of the work.

Things like how Madoka chooses to blend stopmotion cutouts with traditional 2D animation are fertile ground for indepth analysis, and if you can connect something like that meaningful to an interpretation of the whole work, you have a pretty big basis for analysis right there. I recall a few times the show uses a theatre-perspective angle to shoot scenes and references theatre performance, and exploring why that might be done in favour of more standard anime framing methods.

You always have to take gaijin reviews and critiques of anime / manga with a grain of salt.
Even gaijin with initials after their names.

best tbqh senpai

It redefined the mahou shoujo genre, so yes.

It appears to have been an undergrad capstone paper, so calling it a 'dissertation' is a bit of a joke.

>this is actually real

Bless Madokami

Homura is pretty flat though. Mami and Sayaka are the non-flat characters.

>Mami
>one backstory then back to her being the mature character of the group
>Sayaka
>only known for her crush and support of the violinist boy

Sayaka had potential with the part when she realized she will never have a chance with that boy after literally selling her soul. I thought it was going to go someplace with that, but nope. That subplot was forgotten and they all went back to being two dimensional. I had more feeling for the Keions.

Yeah but look at this.

I think you two are talking about different kinds of flat here.

7.8/10

Nothing is good

It's alright, but pretty mediocre overall. It's heavily overrated and not deserving of the praise it has.

nerve-wracking

Could you repeat the question?

How are the characters flat? I keep hearing this but I never see any full explanation of how?

Why didn't Mami as the largest mahō shōjo not simply eat all the other mahō shōjo?

Becomes worse on every ep you watch.

People see wide and mistake it for flat.

It's good, but since most people agree that it was good some snowflakes call it bad, citing dubious reasons. The plot is relatively well-done.

They were saving that for sweeps.

it is good

Wrong, I am good

I haven't watched it in forever, but I remember it turning to expository bullshit in the end. The first few episodes are interesting though.

Only because of one rabid shitposter.

Fuck off and kill yourself, !Akemi.

No matter how many times you pretend to be a new person, you will never make it look like it is the normal response to be cripplingly autistic to the point where you refuse to talk to anyone and answer what they say.

It's the poor man's version of this.

>Flat characters except for Homura
I'm a huge Homura fag but Sayaka going from warrior of justice to queen murderbitch hypocrite isn't very flat imho fampai.

Didn't that come out later?

Read my post here I did forget that story arch, but it didn't last very long and was hoping for more characterization. From flat character to witch seems a bit lacking doesn't it? Maybe she could have been a more sympathetic character if there was more backstory.

You watch it and tell me.

Yeah

Yes.

>undergrad capstone paper

Calling it a dissertation isn't a 'bit of a joke'. It's a total joke.

>2016+1
>using snowflakes unironically

are you a fuckin boomer, get the fuck out of here

People need every bit of character motivation explained to them in show with charts and diagrams.

what would it feel like to _be_ Sayaka?

uhhh they're 2D?

holy shit

Suffering.

The problem is she goes from warrior of justice to queen murderbitch in an absurdly short amount of time, it's not so much of an arch as it is she just snapped suddenly

It's a masterpiece if you have severe autism.

She was never a hero of justice. That's the whole point.

This. People who say it's deep are like those kids in high school who get amazed when you tell them to subtract their birth year and the current year. I shit you not there are kids who are 16 fucking years old and can't believe they get their age by doing that.

She gets killed.

You get it, her 'devotion' to 'justice' was just a fragile psyche.

Name your "deepest" anime user.

There is none. Anime can't reach the depths of 3D directors like Paul Thomas Anderson or Mallick just like how films can't be as fun as anime.

>Undergraduate thesis written about an analysis of an anime
But why? Can you imagine trying to defend this paper?

>H-hi... My name is user, and I'm here to talk about m-mahou shoujo...

It's a solid 6/10. No better. Weak characters and ending

This is the state of modern academia. This is what kids pay $60k a year to do.

Just try and wrap your head around it. I really can't.

>Weak ending

The show is really good. You should watch it.

The fanbase is REALLY bad. Total garbage. You should avoid it.

I don't know why all you guys keep making these threads, you must be gluttons for punishment.

>cop-out

even Gurren Lagann is deeper than Tree of Life

RESET ENDING
MAMI DIES

RESET ENDING
MAMI DIES

Everyone dies in every reset. Mami, Sayaka, Kyouko and Madoka.

What did he mean by this?

Read it
Doesn't seem bad but its lacking, as said, it would've been interesting to see an in depth analysis of the animation/camerawork
Also I disagree with the whole: Mami's death brings realism and grimness to the series, the series has a constant dark tone from the very begging, we are told before Mami's death that: fighting witches is a life threatening situation and that magical girls do fight each other (even to death) but the cutesy op and ed and the fact that a lot of anime deal with death as a time out for a character, makes death (on anime) something hard to take seriously (done on porpoise of course) until Mami dies a gruesome death and the ed changes.

I don't get media/entertainment analysis if the one who's writing it is not an artist/entertainer to some extent, how can they prove or try the theory they learn if they can't apply it? maybe im being too harsh though

I don't get people writing huge essays about analyzing media as a part of formal academia. In essence all you're doing is just condensing a few well-worded shitposts about something that you'd write in a forum, and presenting them all at once with appropriate formatting. People can and do write graduate-level analyses of fictional works in their spare time for free, for fun, and so actually doing so as a profession seems so weird to me.

As someone who's in that profession, I akin it to closer to a review, or a complete breakdown, taking it to pieces to look at the nuts and bolts that make it up. Much akin to how you'd disassemble a machine to try and work out what makes it tick. It's done for literally everything, so why would Anime alone be exempt when there's analyses for everything from popular Media to Sup Forums itself? (Yes, there's theses analyzing Sup Forums and how it works. It's weird to read as someone from here.)

Academia has become a way to provide jobs for people who didn't acquire any practical skills.

t. Someone with no practical skills

Researching and time management are practical skills. I wish I'd picked them up

>musket
>rifling
uhh...

Rifled Muskets were the weapon of choice for decades. They were used from Napoleonic times up to the American Civil War. Japan had American Rifled Muskets imported for the Boshin War. You obviously have never studied Military History.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifled_musket

Get educated.

see Mods love the image. That's why they did not delete the posts. What do you think of it?

I want to rape homura

Get help.

Yeah, I wanna have Apple.

So how long until autism-kun shows up to scream?

kys

yes

That user
I think its a mix of things:
On one side there's a market for academia, granted only hardcore Madoka/SHAFT/Anime fans would buy essays on the series. Books, methods and clases (aka college) have to re-invent themselves to not become obsolete so academic research is needed and though its weird to read a serious paper on a 2011 Japanese animation, if they don't research and analyse new media (in music we are starting to see the first papers and methods on rap and metal) then there's no reason to pay for books or college.

In the other hand:
We live in a strange time, a lot of people are coming out of College and they are sharing their knowledge for basically free (Pause and select, 8 bit music theory, Rick Beato [in music] even some analysis in Madoka's wikia that talk about german, Japanese, philosophy, etc) so you can end up with a pretty good understanding of things that can even be compare to a mediocre college grad ( for every guy that went to college and learned a lot there's other 10 that barely got a thing)

Finally shitposting that goes in depth is a concept that doesn't exist in "real life" (I would say shitposting in general), how many people know what a "reddit" is? (even though here is treated as the "mainstream" trash, Ive met a lot of people that don't know what it is) how many people know what a "Sup Forums" is? how many people have visited 4 chan at least once? (and probably went to Sup Forums when they were 12 and never came back) and how many visit 4 chan enough to be considered an Sup Forumsutist?

The point of my original post was that if you are don't do animation but your work is based on studying animation you can only repeat concepts that are already proven and understood so you are barely giving anything to academia or animation (though there's people that say nothing new can be done but I disagree with that notion)
whats your profession? It sounds interesting

The Puella Wiki has a lot of interesting shit in it. Quite surprised at how in depth some of those articles went.

Precisely

Yes, great soundtrack and surreal visuals. If you disliked the characters/cute girlishness etc just watch Bokurano instead. If you liked Madoka also watch Bokurano.
Even if it's just for the god-tier opening that's perfectly suited to it. youtube.com/watch?v=05p646nlYS0

>lawnchair will always be irrelevant to kapplin

Kapplin has always been perfect. Lawnchair always tried to force his way in but he never got anywhere. That is because he is doomed to be forever alone.

why is homura the best girl?

Shut the fuck up about tripfags this is why everyone hates this fanbase

Seems to me that you cannot read 4 simple posts made by someone who is on part with Komeji. That one will always ruin threads and is the reason why this fan base is fucked. His posts are
>157712348
>157712217
>157712150
and >157711745

See