Let's settle the great debate. Which soundtrack (Japanese or American) for Dragon Ball Z is superior, and why...

Let's settle the great debate. Which soundtrack (Japanese or American) for Dragon Ball Z is superior, and why? What are your favorite tunes from the show?

strawpoll.me/13051992

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rwu1QFlX6do&list=PLP-Bg7LvpcbuJ0F1wkZeUO4z2d1YyUtnz
youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eMYt9sGOcTU
youtube.com/watch?v=--VneOADbwk
youtube.com/watch?v=Rjllfs0QyEo
youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw
youtube.com/watch?v=sJMAb88v8eg&t=51s
youtube.com/watch?v=cofigleOgps
youtube.com/watch?v=gl8_b4qi3Ss
youtube.com/watch?v=iIYMn2B5bM8
youtube.com/watch?v=QhwCsvN3D24
youtube.com/watch?v=nwrzYrpCHz0
youtube.com/watch?v=1yDq6wi0kBU
youtube.com/watch?v=XwS3pGY8KoY
youtube.com/watch?v=iQKyhtvBTfw
youtube.com/watch?v=woHtuw_xtcc
youtube.com/watch?v=9rvwV97RP5M
youtube.com/watch?v=0hagJd6E0O8
youtube.com/watch?v=q06dgZQt6_g
youtube.com/watch?v=5l7NyTHet9g
youtube.com/watch?v=aXJKr4bnGxk
youtube.com/watch?v=iJG5gaNQKH4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I liked both but I wish the dub soundtrack wasn't playing all the time.

Both osts made for legendary moments, but tracks like the Dragon and Vegeta's Final Flash theme are just too good, so I'd slightly edge it out to bruce

The original soundtrack is fucking boring. Faulconer's score overall isn't that great but it at least has stand out tracks that make it considerably better.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rwu1QFlX6do&list=PLP-Bg7LvpcbuJ0F1wkZeUO4z2d1YyUtnz

>boring
You've listened to this and thought it was boring?
c'mon bruh

Original Kikuchi OST coupled with DBZ (the more drawn out pacing) > Yamamoto's plagiarized but still amazing OST coupled with Kai (fits the new pacing) > Sumimoto's OST for Boo Kai and Super > Kikuchi OST coupled with Kai (DVD/BD reprints after plagiarism shitstorm) >>> Faulconer

I can count the amount of Faulconer tunes that I liked on the fingers of one hand.
I did find his music fitting in the Legacy of Goku 2 and Legacy of Goku 3 GBA Action RPGs though, it has a videogame-y vibe which is why I enjoyed it there.

youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ
Compared to something like this I would consider that pretty mediocre desu

I actually agree with this, not fond of Faulconer's score much at all, for as much as I watched DBZ as a kid I find myself ever rarely humming his tunes, but Kikuchi's are frequently in my head.

But I do think they fit for the Legacy of Goku games.

>boring
youtube.com/watch?v=eMYt9sGOcTU

Glad you agree, I actually had quite a few people who aren't rabid fanboys and sat down for a while and thought about it agree that Faulconer OST is much better for videogames than it is for the anime itself.

But really I can actually say the same about DBGT soundtrack, I don't know who composed it (sure as fucking hell wasn't Kikuchi or Yamamoto), but it was also very "videogamey". It reminded me of Chrono Trigger in a way in fact, but so did GT in general which isn't surprising since they were more or less made at the same time.

Too bad they never made a GT-themed Legacy of Goku game. Instead they decided to make a shitty sidescroller beat'em up adapting the only good arc of GT (Spehs and Bebi).

edgy

both soundtracks are shit

I think we can all agree no song in the entire legacy of Dragon Ball can stand up to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=--VneOADbwk

>not posting the superior Future Trunks theme
youtube.com/watch?v=Rjllfs0QyEo

I actually had this on repeat for an hour straight when the Future Trunks/Black Saga was announced for Super.

>A song that's primarily piano can somehow be edgy

You're really activating my almonds.

This song is legitimately amazing coming from a Falconer fag

I love how it's both hype but if you read the lyrics it's also very thematically fitting for Future Trunks.

youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw
Why was the android/cell arc so perfect?

Japanese is superior.

What happens with the american one? It's done LITERALLY to match every.fucking.second of the show. Every scene, everything. It's not even a "Soundtrack", it's like someone was watching the anime while smashing his head over a synth board based on what's on screen.

We see a clear example with Goku vs Cell, let's take a look at this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=sJMAb88v8eg&t=51s

As one of the comments say in 30 secs of american version we have:
>"where are they" music
>LoL Battle xD music
>Stupid Mr.Satan music
>"where are they" music
>Again LoL battle xD music
>Again stupid Mr.Satan music
>Again LoL xD battle music.

That's not an OST, that's just smashing shit in to fit every scene so kids don't get bored. It eliminated tension moments where silence meant everything.

THAT said. I have to admit they did an amazing job with Vegeta's Final Flash moment. Love that specific track.

>not the superior original theme
Step it up
youtube.com/watch?v=cofigleOgps

I'm not Faulconer fag and even I know the shit you posted wasn't even used in the anime, it's the "unreleased" prototype version.
Here's the themes that were actually used:
Perfect Cell: youtube.com/watch?v=gl8_b4qi3Ss
Super Perfect Cell: youtube.com/watch?v=iIYMn2B5bM8

Anyway Japanese is better:
youtube.com/watch?v=QhwCsvN3D24

>yfw 2:24 part kicks in

>yfw 2:24 part kicks in

GREATEST MOMENTS IN DRAGON BALL Z, POST EM

youtube.com/watch?v=nwrzYrpCHz0

Not posting the GOOD one.
youtube.com/watch?v=1yDq6wi0kBU

At least post the right one you plebs
youtube.com/watch?v=XwS3pGY8KoY

the japanese one, though the american probably fits more with the shows demographic.

TFS became such hacks after the late thirties. Repeating the same jokes/cliches so frequently, it's gotten to the point where the show doesn't really even feel abridged, such as another dubbing with more jokes.
>thumbnail looks like super shit
Fuck Super. Not canon.

>Fuck Super. Not canon.
It has its moments but it's definitely inferior to what came before.

>tfs shits on the american soundtrack saying it doesn't fit
>they use it anyways and people love it

Because it really doesn't fit for the most part, but there ARE a couple of good tracks, this is one of them.

As someone who doesn't watch Super why the fuck is the animation so fucking bad compared to the 90s show. Seriously. The scene lacks really any kind of weight when Vegeta moves so robotically.

Fucking hell.

Murridub ost don't fit the anime but there are 2 good tracks worth saving. Vegeta's theme and Perfect Cell theme. The rest is literally shit and TFS know that.

Because talentless sweatshop Filipino animators combined with no budget because it will sell on brand name regardless + Toei's godawful scheduling (aka we want it done not for yesterday even but for last week).
It's a fucking mess.

It DID finally improve in the current Universal Survival arc though.
youtube.com/watch?v=iQKyhtvBTfw

Super Boo's theme is pretty good as well, give credit where it's due.
youtube.com/watch?v=woHtuw_xtcc

Nothing the dub does is good

DBS improved a lot after the first tournament. Black saga is totally worth watching and it's ost is one of the best in Dragon Ball.

youtube.com/watch?v=9rvwV97RP5M

Black Arc still has a lot of shitty animation, especially towards the end (the episodes right before Vegetto and after look like absolute fucking shit, among the worst in Super). The filler slice of life stuff between Black and Universal Survival is also pretty awful looking.
And the art style improved significantly in Universal Survival, thanks to FINALLY getting an actually competent director and budget bump.

Fuck the soundtracks, who cares honestly.

It's the voice acting that makes the English version so much better. The voice acting in the jappo version is fucking terrible. Guys like Sabat are out there shaking their dicks giving their characters pretty iconic voices whereas the original voices for the show were fucking high pitched trash.

Never heard it. As a standalone YES it's good. I don't see it fitting Buu in the anime but I hear some quality there.

But it's no point near of the original buu saga battle themes

youtube.com/watch?v=0hagJd6E0O8

Or the TERROR that the original Buu Theme made us feel
youtube.com/watch?v=q06dgZQt6_g

And another part of that fight.
youtube.com/watch?v=5l7NyTHet9g

>not posting arguably the best Falconer track
youtube.com/watch?v=aXJKr4bnGxk

>non-canon trash
>this track
>good
No.

>piccolo being this strong after spending every day babysitting pan or doing chores for chi-chi
>that lazy arm regeneration

Unpopular opinion time?

Honestly, I just feel like the jap score just doesn't fit the show well enough. For example, the music you posted for Buu sounds so generic, and could 'fit' well enough for any enemy in DBZ.

Not saying the track itself is bad, because it's not, but it just doesn't stick with you after the scene is finished. That's one of the reasons music like the 'Super Namek,' 'Vegeta Powers Up' (not the saiyan version), 'The Dragon' and 'Perfect Cell Theme' stuck with me. They just sound so unique. I feel like the original score should have experimented with different sounds more often.

I agree that Faulconer fits video games better, but I remember that we get some of the JP themes in video games as well, and they fit just as well.

After finally watching the series in Japanese I think the dub soundtrack suits the tone and energy (along with some characters, such as Buu) of the series more of the time, but I think the JP soundtrack is used more tastefully in terms of placement (though I do think that it could have played at more times even if the dub does too much) and played at a better volume.

That being said I likely prefer the original Dragon Ball OST to either.

Overall the JP version is better, not just for the songs, but the way it's used as well. The US suffers way too much for having every second be filled with music, especially when it feels the need to constantly shift the song used based on the mood, which makes it jarring as hell.

But to its credit, there are a handful of moments where the US music fits the scene and sounds great, and I imagine that those moments are what create nostalgia for US watchers. Some good examples are:

- Goku turning SSJ
- Anytime "Ginyu Transformation" is used
- Final Flash scene
- Anytime "Dragon's Theme" is used
- Vegeta's SSJ theme

The japanese soundtrack sounds like it came straight out of 1950 neo-tokyo. Only an unironic weeaboo would say they enjoy it over the American OST.

Everything about the original Funi dub was a fucking travesty. Terrible script rewrites, awful soundtrack and VAs that didn't fit the characters at all. It's the equivalent of a 4kids dubbed show

As a rule of thumb, I find the american ost generally fit fight scenes themselves much better than the japanese score, but the japanese score (or occasional lack of music) was far superior for quieter moments, or lulls in action

This is pretty much my opinion too. Well said.

>Honestly, I just feel like the jap score just doesn't fit the show well enough. For example, the music you posted for Buu sounds so generic, and could 'fit' well enough for any enemy in DBZ.

It totally fits the battle and the series. Not that stupid cartoon for kids shit they used ONLY in murrica.
youtube.com/watch?v=iJG5gaNQKH4

>Not that stupid cartoon for kids shit

I don't know why you'd bother responding when you invalidate yourself adding quips like that to your post. Your post is reduced to sounding like an angry teen complaining.

Kid buu was so much fun

Only amerilards will pick Falcouner's because of nostalgia. But that OST is tacky as fuck, I'm so glad my country's dub used the original.

>Goku fight scene where Nozawa isn't going DADADADADADADA all the time
Fuck, I miss the old times

Falconer has some good tracks but the Japanese was a better soundtrack for the show. I'm attached to both of them though.

Beaner?

Ironic because you lads are the fattest of the bunch.

Every DBZ dub used the original score except Burgerland's

Wasn't the music for DBZ made for the movies, and then placed into the show? I remember reading that a lot of music was left unused

Who cares which one is better?
Only americans care about Faulconer while the rest of the world watched DBZ as it should be.

Good god, what the fuck Funimation thinking with this?

So you're saying you're not a beaner then?

It was, what, the late 90s? Early 2000s? This shit was par for the course.

Jap track is better but I still prefer Falconer because nostalgia and fuck you. Falconer is played too much and too loudly though, and not always the best track for the scene.

What is inarguable, inescapable truth is that the dub cast is far superior to the japs, at least by the time the Kai remake was done when they had experience. Only a few in the jap cast were appealing, particularly Vegeta, Frieza, and Cell. Even then I preferred dub Vegeta and Cell, and Kai Frieza was amazing. I just wish the original dub Frieza could be erased from my mind, she did a great Genkai thankfully.

>It's done LITERALLY to match every.fucking.second of the show.

>A shows music is created to accommodate the events on screen

oh no. how horrible and completely unexpected

Kenji Yamamoto's is the best.

unironically this

Why are you assuming I'm Mexican just because I'm not from the states? You don't know any more countries? Holy shit.

Faulconer has some real standouts like Super Saiyan Battle Theme, but I think the Jap theme is overall superior.

Like Battle Point Unlimited and Solid State Scouter are top-tier.

Out of all of the shows where the west replaced audio, I think Faulconer is by far the best.

It was 2005 or 2006.

Not him, but you're trying a little too hard.

I'm not saying Bruce's electric guitars are great, but how does anybody enjoy those squeaky lo-fi trumpets and the slide whistle in the Japanese soundtrack?

Sup Forums is 40% mexicans
Sup Forums is 50% mexicans
DBZ is 80% mexicans

Isn't the Dragon Ball fanbase small in USA? Why would someone from Indonesia, Argentina or France be familiar with the US soundtrack?

Anyway, I listened to some of the US soundtrack, it isn't bad music, sounds cool, but I can't even compare it to the original DB/DBZ score. Of course I prefer the original (and as far as I know, Faulconer only did DBZ; not original DB music, right?).
But still tryint to "settle" this with a poll is stupid. Even if Sup Forums has a majority of americans, there's still a lot of people from all around the world who watched DB and DBZ with their original music, and it's obvious they'll never vote for the US soundtrack

Buu flying to lookout was far superior in the dub