Only Yesterday

Did I miss something here?
I thought this was supposed to be one of those all-time masterpieces, but it was just really boring.
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Iubnx8mnq7I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It had a nice OST.
youtube.com/watch?v=Iubnx8mnq7I

Watch it again once you're older. A lot of books are also like that.

No, its just another one of Miyazaki's movies detailing how japanese life sucks ass.

It's not a Miyazaki movie.

It's actually Takahata's

all ghibli movies are trash

It's the best anime film of all time but too mature for anime fans.

Not even the best Ghibli movie desu

>all-time masterpieces, but it was just really boring.
Which basically is true for all Ghibli movies outside of 3 that are true masterpieces: spirites away, wind rises and Howls. What a coincidence that those are the only 3 with actual characters and a conclusive plot. Almost like there's a pattern here.

>Howls
At least you tried.

You might be retarded

>I thought this was supposed to be one of those all-time masterpieces, but it was just really boring.
That's what most Takahata films are like desu

I am simply not as much of a drone like you who actually believes that Totoro, Nausicaa, Poppy Hill, Kiki, Mononoke, Kaguya or Lapiuta have anything going for them outside of their respective art. Especially the first 4 are just badly written with flat as fuck characters that could basically be replaced by cardboard figures.

Oh you're definitely retarded

Takahata's works tend to be a lot more "japanese" than other Ghibli directors. He plays a lot of japanese sentimentality and nostalgia, which is a lot harder for foreign audiences to grasp. It's not a surprise his films aren't terribly popular overseas, aside from the fairly universal Grave of the Fireflies, which is a simple antiwar story most can empathize with.

>Thoughts?
You're literally autistic and don't understand the subtle emotions portrayed throughout.

I didn't think much of it either.
Kaguya was a much better film.

See
It's my favorite Ghibli film.

It's a masterpiece despite being boring, as that's irrelevant. You may as well complain there's no fanservice in a drama; true, but it doesn't matter.

I'd say still having an attachment to your childhood hears even though you're well into adulthood is a pretty universal theme, if not as instantly recognizable as a war story.

Though the theme is universal it doesnt fit the expectations of people who have watched american films all their lives, a story to them is a sequence of plot points that lead into one another to move a story forward, they've learned all their lives that if it isn't like that it is boring.

Like 95% of Ghibli movies, it was a "nice" movie and I was glad to see it, but I never want to see it again.

Sounds great

I think it's incredible. Ending sequence hit me for six.

>other show's opening
>track
no

My favorite film of all time. Probably life changing, this film.

>Did I miss something here?
Yeah, you're obviously underage.

Only Yesterday is the ultimate pleb filter test. You obviously failed, OP.
Literally one of the greatest anime films of all time.

>but it was just really boring
It doesn't have the same pace as other Ghibli movies, and it's pretty 'deep' for western audience or even for other Asians. Watch Ocean Waves, it might fit your bad taste

Explain yo'selves

Op is a fag.

It's the best ghibli film.

But Ocean Waves wasn't bad.

Is it better than The Red Turtle?

>Howls
Howls it feel to have awful taste?

I basically agree with the OP here. The trailers make the film look like its something amazing, and give off the impression the it could have been Ghibli's best.

But whatever the film is going for, it is heavily riding on the nostalgic feelings of people (especially women) who were born in the '60s specifically. I never liked how the adult sections were essentially shoved on top of the slice of life sections and frame them as something they were not in the manga. Even now that I'm around the same age as the protagonist as an adult, I can't help but feel that she's just a boring person who's life and mental state I have little interest in exploring, especially since I've recently been finding people who grew up near me who I rarely interacted with before to have far more interesting passions, attitudes, issues and outlooks than I realized or suspected before.

I find the opposite is true honestly. Spirited Away is a thematically deeper film with more creativity nuance, drama and detail to it. Now that I am a little older I simply confirm what I thought before, that adult Taeko as is a basically an unremarkable person nostalgiaing about her childhood who needs a break and ends up wanting to marry like any other woman might.

>not being able to relate to Taeko
Literally what? Were you homeschooled or some shit?
>it is heavily riding on the nostalgic feelings of people (especially women) who were born in the '60s specifically
>implying this is a bad thing
Also, I'd argue this film is quite timeless especially with those childhood scene as they have universal feelings & emotions that are conveyed like in pic related's scene, and especially within the family scenes.
>the adult sections were essentially shoved
Except they weren't? Takahata masterfully weaved the adult scenes through the childhood scenes from the manga to create an introspective and reflective analysis on childhood and adulthood.
>adult Taeko as is a basically an unremarkable person nostalgiaing about her childhood who needs a break and ends up wanting to marry like any other woman might.
This is so wrong, I really am quite appalled you couldn't analyze the film so simply. The entire film is Taeko's journey in coming to terms with her past. The countryside is a symbol of something that she had always wanted since her childhood, and the continous childhood flashbacks reinforce a yearning/context in her current state as a woman.
The film is so real, and the characters are so full of feeling, I really can't/will never be able to see how it didn't move you, honestly I just feel bad for you.

Red Turtle isn't a Ghibli film or even anime

Doesn't change the fact that the country stuff is boring as hell. When I saw it all I wanted was to see more of young Taeko and her family, and as it went on we got less and less family and more and more organic farming. They need to release a DVD with a feature that marathons the flashbacks and skips over the adult stuff.

Spirited Away was great, Howls looked great but was shit and Wind Rises was even more boring than the country scenes of OP, with the sole exception of the earthquake scene and the plane scenes.

underage b&