Thoughts on this masterpiece?

Thoughts on this masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=APIKVLw1tT0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Underrated 2bh, especially compared to other Satoshi Kon films. I enjoyed it more than Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress.

Satoshi's peak.

This was my first Kon film and I absolutely loved it. Will have to check his other films out

A shame he died. Loved just about everything he did.

It was too confusing for me to really love it. But it was interesting, and certainly good to look at.

May I ask (non offensively) what was confusing about it?

Was it how one thing flew out of the other edit wise or was it the dream within a dream aspect?

I was angry that the twist was that she loved the fat guy

I don't remember, honestly.

2nd half turns it into a 5/10 at best. Garbage movie.

Actually his worst movie.

I love it. Surreal fun with some of my favourite stuff from Susumu Hirasawa. youtube.com/watch?v=APIKVLw1tT0 + The Girl in Byakkoya and A Drop filled with Memories are fucking great

Yeah, it would have been better if was her accepting her split personality/dealing with stress from work. Paprika's simple story allowed it to focus on the expressive visuals.

That part was just slow, dull, and jarring.

Hot girls fucking fat slobs.

i disagree with you - i feel like Millennium Actress is his best, followed closely by Perfect Blue and Paprika, but they are all god tier. Tokyo Godfathers too

I thought it nailed dream nonsense perfectly.
God tier music, too.

t'was good

first animu I watched aside from ghibli-stuff, have rewatched it 3 times since. can't express exactly how much I love it

suddenly realized that is sounds almost exactly like Nero's Day at Disneyland stuff

This. I was rooting for the Detective, at least he had a character arc to speak of. Fat guy came out of nowhere

I think I liked the story and characters the least of Kon's works, but the animation and soundtrack are absolutely phenomenal.

Overrated

The soundtrack is fucking amazing.

It good.

The story was hard to follow. It gets better on the second time.

BURN it op
>For world PEACE

Meh at best, kinda bad outside of the visuals.

Kind of boring and dull, like all of Satoshi Kon's stuff.

Millennium Actress is better.

reddit: the anime

Great to sleep to.

Despite it being filled with creative ideas, the scenes without the cop guy were kinda boring. I wish he was the focus.

It's better if you watch it after watching the rest of Kon's works, since it's pretty much the peak and sum of all his ideas up to that point.

Patrician taste.

Paprika is pretty much loved by everyone that has seen it, be for the music, the colors, the story, the fun.

Let's talk about something else:
thoughts on this?

I have never laughed as hard for as long as I have at Happy Family Planning (the one with the suicide pact trio). I was bored out of my mind on a deployment and spent the entire following week with a stupid grin on my face because of that, no matter how boring or shitty things got.

That episode is my favourite too, probably one of my favourite episodes out of all the anime I've watched.
I've never seen the matter of suicide tackled in such a funny yet tasteful way.

I don't understand how that anime isn't discussed more often.

A couple decent episodes, incredibly boring overall.

bretty gut

The animation and directing are superbs, the premise and some scenes are great.

However, the story itself is quite disappointing and clichéd, it doesn't really leave anything meaningful to the viewer. The ending is just bad, and also confusing.

It was a very well done attempt, but an attempt nontheless

Happy Family Planning is the standout episode. Its first episode is also good. Brilliant OP.

On the whole it's a series of mixed quality, but that has to be framed by the expectations people generally have from Kon. It's still very good, with some unforgettable episodes.

In my opinion, it tried to force what came naturally in Millennium Actress. And in pushing those ideas it lost the subtletly. Also, even though
Actress suffered from some characterization issues it was nothing like Paprika, which wasn't very deep, to say at least, both idea-wise and character-wise. It was complicated rather than complex.
Unlike Actress, it was a movie that made an (interesting) animation technique a center motiv, without much else really, not counting some cliches.
However, I watched Actress first, and fell in love with it, so I may be more than a little biased. It also lacks that beauty, and layers in a story that Actress possesses.
But it is a good, fun move on its own, certainly.

>masterpiece

satoshi kon a god. A GOD

The story makes no sense.
It's interesting and meta cause movies, but it's makes no sense.
It's a great movie regardless.

It was ok but it's highly overrated, it's that kind of movie that your parents would watch on TV out of boredom and call it good just because it's popular.
His older works were much better, each new film he made got more generic and boring.