I'm an atheist Ayn Rand-chugging laissez-faire capitalist who goes to a university completely comprised of religious...

I'm an atheist Ayn Rand-chugging laissez-faire capitalist who goes to a university completely comprised of religious self-righteous retards (students as well as faculty).

I'm taking Intro to Philosophy as a general requirement, and although I know virtually nothing about philosophy (only really read Ayn Rand and a few books by Plato), my classmates still manage to give me a mind-numbing experience every morning with their ignorance and delusion about the virtue of selflessness.

How can I successfully convince these people that selflessness is not a virtue? How can I show them how evil it is to be self-destructive and to devalue one's own mind and self?

While I don't think I'll ever go into a career in the humanities, I think that understanding what is virtuous is the most important part of our existence. I find it entirely too important to pass up the opportunity to share her ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

campus.aynrand.org/campus-courses/history-of-philosophy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thats cool but My dog? He is MAN of the HOUSE

This thread would have been /lit/ af.

H

I'd like to be as successful as frisco, or any of the characters though, but I relate to him the most.

I am in so close a situation it is eerie. Answer is: you can't. Atlas Shrugged actually pointed that out, showing how inferior people have the numbers advantage.

PLUS, that's how they survive. You can't instill empathy into parasites, it would kill them.

Now you can show self-respect and speak your mind (and fail your course), leave, or suck it up and give the mindless the illusion you're one of them.

What's the most important to your selfish desires?

Personally I'd be smart about it, read: not be an aspie when explaining myself even if it makes me look like an asshole, I don't really care anymore.
AS is a misunderstood book.

Is it worth the risks tho? Especially here, in Canada, our society is driving toward that socio-economic collapse at a breakneck speed.

Get the most you can, transfer part of it in gold, silver, extra food and trade goods. And that means playing it safe and avoid failing courses that are prerequisites to good jobs / put those hours in a not-so-great-yet-still-paid job.

And brace for impact as a figurative John Galt / Francisco Danconierre takes over the world.

I personally don't think my grade would suffer, I would just have to accept being ostracized by my classmates. I wouldn't care about this, since I don't find any of them terribly intelligent, and arguing with them might provide me with some form of practice in explaining my ideas.

However, this has so far only resulted in my heightened frustration when I decide to engage, so I might try to introduce the ideas in subtler means to try to persuade them (not to try to make them better, to try to gain practice with making the argument for objectivism).

Perhaps by taking that risk you, somehow, enlighten one person, I'd say it's worth it.

Who would you consider a modern John Galt, DJT?
MmmMh dubious claim.

Agreed, so far have not seen anyone of this sort. Might be expected, though.

> Who would you consider a modern John Galt, DJT?
I used the term "figurative" for a reason, but I'd say Aaron Clarey, a.k.a. Captain Capitalism. The guy prones minimalism, working few hours, focusing on human beings that are worth it and enjoying the decline.

> Perhaps by taking that risk you, somehow, enlighten one person, I'd say it's worth it.
Right idea, wrong Modus Operandi. Don't paint yourself as a target. Find people who could be responsive and meet them personally THEN try to convince them. You can't convince the parasites to leave the hosts alone, but you can convince the host to stop feeding the parasites.

Just for memery sake, I could place Barron as a potential John Galt, but what we need is someone like Tesla, so to speak.

> I'm a different-brain
lol no you're not
>intro to philospohy
read books retard that's what your professor did and he's actually paid to be in a room with you
>everyone else is a mouth breather
welcome to being alive
>how can i convince them that what is subjective is objective
congrats you are not opening yourself up to your studies

Ayn Rand is a hedonistic jew. The party will end and you will wake up with friends who are pederasts.

>Aaron Clarey
Who is this man?

>How can I successfully convince these people that selflessness is not a virtue?
you don't. why should you? just let them destroy their lives on the altar of altruism. you shouldn't care about those weaklings

I agree, but I think it's vital to understand how to communicate effectively why this is a good philosophy.

The only reason why I think this is important is that I see this group as representing the larger population of confused youth, and being able to turn them could allow me to become influential.

>How can I successfully convince these people that selflessness is not a virtue?
Pic related.
But also American education is shit so it doesn't even matter what you're going to study anyway

... well. While I do like the message carried by the phrase "Who is John Galt?", I have to admit it still feels a bit clunky, even after reading the explanation of the 20th Century Motor Company.

"Looks like John Galt?" or "Wasn't it John Galt?", "What about John Galt?" would have made more sense.

But then again, maybe the sentence "Who is" makes more sense for someone who grew up speaking Russian.

>atheist Ayn Rand-chugging laissez-faire capitalist

Be sure to tell your teacher this.

know how it was communicated to me? dude gave me the book and said "read it". that's it. if I were a nigger not deserving to know the truth I wouldn't have read it. natural selection. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

Study the other philosophies as well. Then refute them with your own argument. Ayn Rand is a genius, and hands down the most important philosopher since Neitzsche. I recommend her ARI Campus course The History of Philosophy

>campus.aynrand.org/campus-courses/history-of-philosophy

The full context and application of her philosophy is lost completely by those who attempt to refute her; and, unfortunately, lost in part by many if not most who attempt to grasp it completely.

Her philosophy is not meant to be a repetition of quotes by her. She beautifully articulates her philosophy, but her goal was to APPLY this philosophy to action. She wanted her work to serve as an example of how you as an individual can demonstrate beauty and rationality in your OWN work.

We're gonna blue pill you white boy. We just got an £80 Billion dollar investment in our department from George Soros. In fact, we just had a new wing built, we called it the Karl Marx wing. You're gonna grow up to despise America and Capitalism, and we'll make you genderfluid and dye your hair pink.

Enjoy your empty attempt at non-existence. Don't expect me to attempt it as well.

>University
>full religious fanatics

Nice lap faggot,colleges are overrun by cringy fedora tipping "muh spaghetti monster" losers

Ayn Rand is literally a psychopath. In one part, someone offers Galt government money so he throw him down three flights of fucking stairs. Is that normal behavior? Is that something people should aspire too? Yeah, I'll stick to my non-existence of caring about people and culture beyond how many metal tokens they can provide me thanks.

In a world where the price of becoming a slave master comes in the form of a loan from your Government, that action is entirely entirely normal behavior. If you had read the novel in context that would be understood.

But you're not a slave, in any way shape or form. Or do you now think I should throw a banker down three flights of steps for offering me a loan? Oh wait, that's different because the person doing it isn't labelled as "le state".

You would be surprised. I'm a faggot who went to art school and most of the other students were creationists. They couldn't hack it in any other kind of university, or their parents thought an art school would only teach them about art and not evolution maybe

“Virtue” according to who? The concept of “virtue” varies a lot depending on which philosophical current you’re ascribing yourself to.

Go post this on /lit/, you’ll get a much better discussion there.

John Galt isn't the one who is offered money, it is Nathaniel Taggart.

Accepting money from those who enslave others is a complicit act the moment you become aware that is what your loan is working towards.

The goal of this board is to understand just that, the use of loans (issued manipulated currency) as a form of enslavement. You as an anti-capitalist should be able to understand that.

>>that flag

Sure gulag goy, sure.

My professor is actually female, you sexist fuck.

But in all seriousness I think she never has read anything. Truly awful listening to a person who has either never developed a philosophical standpoint or is simply to nervous about having students "like" her to shout down their idiocy.

1. Dont be what you are

I red pilled cucks by preaching that Rand leads to a happier society of productive individuals unlike Nietzche, kirkengard, Sartre, and Marx